Tate Reeves calling a special session…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Interesting.

He’s giving us an average salary and it’s good.

I’m wondering what the median is going to be?

And where do you think it’ll be located?

Reactions: retire the banner

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
EV battery plant in North MS
Don’t tell that other thread 😂 😂
Just because you don't think EV is the answer to save the world it doesn't mean you can't make a S ton of money profiting off the useful idiots that do......just ask China!

I love it! Manufacturing coming back, jobs, decent income. I don't care if they are building horse buggies it's being done here and in MS!

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Suspect it’s the Cummins-Daimler-Paccar joint venture. Oddly enough, if it’s what I think it is, it’s a battery manufacturing facility for EV commercial trucks.

Oh really… and…

EV battery plant in North MS
Don’t tell that other thread 😂 😂

Exactly what I was thinking too 😂😂😂

And now we wait…

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

(yes, I saw and liked your post @HRMSU 🙂 I’m just enjoying this potential dichotomy here…)

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Couple of things:
1. Is the Delbert Hoseman to Tate's left? Has he always dressed like a mortician? He looks like Lurch from the Addams Family or Uncle Deadly from the Muppets.
2. Just so I understand... does the $2 Billion in capital mean that $2 Billion coming from the state, like taxpayer dollars? 2,000 jobs at $66,000 per job sounds good until I think about how long it would take for the state to recoup that.

Can somebody break down the logistics? Just roughly looking at it, this seems like a big transfer of public funds to a private entity that will take decades to recoup if it ever does.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Couple of things:
1. Is the Delbert Hoseman to Tate's left? Has he always dressed like a mortician? He looks like Lurch from the Addams Family or Uncle Deadly from the Muppets.
2. Just so I understand... does the $2 Billion in capital mean that $2 Billion coming from the state, like taxpayer dollars? 2,000 jobs at $66,000 per job sounds good until I think about how long it would take for the state to recoup that.

Can somebody break down the logistics? Just roughly looking at it, this seems like a big transfer of public funds to a private entity that will take decades to recoup if it ever does.
1. Yes. That’s Delbert. I don’t think of him being especially tall though I might dare say that when looking at that angled photo, Tate comparatively speaking does look like a…

wait for it..

Tater (I’m sorry! It had to be said… **)

2. I want to know that answer too— also good followup question regarding logistics and I suspect you’ve answered it.

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Couple of things:

About 15 years by my count.

And you ask good questions, considering some of the boondoggles MS has been known for over the years. But TateR in general seems to have his stuff together with many of these recent 'economic development' projects. Either way, it's still Mississippi, and there will be a ton of angry people running around one way or another, fighting and carrying on, and wondering why their tax money went to such things, blah blah.

The 2B could be roads, tax incentives, whatever. And could be graft in somebody's pocket. Doubtful, but could I suppose.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Couple of things:

I don't know the details of this project yet, obviously. So I don't know what percentage of the $2B comes from the state, but as it relates to economic development, job creation, and the state's return on that investment:

2,000 new jobs creates new housing built (ad valorem taxes), annual household spending (sales tax), and (at least for now) 2,000 people paying more income tax. And in reality, it probably increases the actual population eventually by 4-5,000 people, meaning more opportunities for all the above in the future. That's just the state, not to mention all the ancillary businesses, restaurants, retailers, schools, delivery companies, hotels, etc. that will most likely get a boost in activities because of this new project.

Point is, it's not just a direct calculation: "We spent $2B, and it took 15 years to get that back". Any legitimate project of this size is good because it should grease the wheels of commerce all the way around.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
2billion in tax payer funds for 2,000 jerbs paying 66k. 5% income tax rate means we'll see this money back in 300 years best case***.

I’d add few more zeroes to that years estimate when considering that Tate’s long been a proponent of no state income taxes.

I’m wondering about the funding mechanism should the Guv’s dream becomes reality (other than of course every Mississippian pays for it)

Hmmm…

3 million Mississippians paying for a nearly 2 billion enterprise: The number for each person is…

666…

dollars and change apiece.

NO SARCASTERISKS.

@Lucifer Morningstar — Well done.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
20 years ago if I had bet you that you would one day state that it made a lot of sense for a large manufacturer to be near Byhalia, what odds would you have given?
Low but probable if only because people were seriously looking at creating I-22 since the 1970s.

I think I-69 expansion in the mid-2000s was the big mover here.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I don't know the details of this project yet, obviously. So I don't know what percentage of the $2B comes from the state, but as it relates to economic development, job creation, and the state's return on that investment:

2,000 new jobs creates new housing built (ad valorem taxes), annual household spending (sales tax), and (at least for now) 2,000 people paying more income tax. And in reality, it probably increases the actual population eventually by 4-5,000 people, meaning more opportunities for all the above in the future. That's just the state, not to mention all the ancillary businesses, restaurants, retailers, schools, delivery companies, hotels, etc. that will most likely get a boost in activities because of this new project.

Point is, it's not just a direct calculation: "We spent $2B, and it took 15 years to get that back". Any project of this size is good because it should grease the wheels of commerce all the way around.
Assuming they live in MS.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'm sure the $350M being asked for in incentives will be efficiently addressed*********
I'm sure there is waste and grift somewhere along the line, however, I had a role at MDA years ago and my experience was that those business development folks at MDA were legit pushing MS and incentives that made sense and had some accountability built in. I give MDA all the credit for this one. Of course they all work in "will and pleasure" positions, so ole punchable face tate has to be front and center taking credit as if he did anything meaningful along the way...

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Just because you don't think EV is the answer to save the world it doesn't mean you can't make a S ton of money profiting off the useful idiots that do......just ask China!

I love it! Manufacturing coming back, jobs, decent income. I don't care if they are building horse buggies it's being done here and in MS!
I know some dipshlts that made a ton of money on ethanol plants...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Wow, this sounds like it could be bigger than the MS Beef Processors Plant in Yalobusha County and The Kemper County Mississippi Power Lignite Coal Plant. It's surely a money maker for the state, who would be against it?**

Tate’s giving us high expectations here, that’s for sure.

But MSU fans know what happens when there are high expectations.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Cook and HRMSU

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I'm sure there is waste and grift somewhere along the line, however, I had a role at MDA years ago and my experience was that those business development folks at MDA were legit pushing MS and incentives that made sense and had some accountability built in. I give MDA all the credit for this one. Of course they all work in "will and pleasure" positions, so ole punchable face tate has to be front and center taking credit as if he did anything meaningful along the way...

When I was on the PERS payroll, I often considered making the move to MDA.

I’ve worked with folks who were there and are there now and some friends thought I’d be a really good fit. It’s in the past for me now that I’m drawing state retirement.

Reactions: Spotdawg

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
The plant is going in the fairly new industrial park (mostly distribution warehouses) near 302 and I-269 in Marshal County. That area of Marshal County has several new middle class subdivisions and probably more on the way. It has really started to develop since the opening of I-269

WREG Article

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I could be wrong but I think this is the news of Amazon AWS building a lot of centers here. I work on the utility side and the numbers I've heard from an energy consumption is staggering
Our wonderful friends at Entergy 17'd up a potential mega-site data deal in the metro because they refused to guarantee adequate power to meet the energy demand. The deal is going to a different location in another part of the state. The problems with Entergy are real and they are extensive. Entergy is 17n pitiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login