Tate Reeves calling a special session…

Status
Not open for further replies.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

Interesting.

He’s giving us an average salary and it’s good.

I’m wondering what the median is going to be?

And where do you think it’ll be located?

There's another one that I'm involved in that will require another special session that will bring right at another 1000 new jobs. Announcement to come in June From a current MS company that is the number one provider of their product in the US

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I have talked to Reeves at football games. He's a tiny man. He looks different to a certain degree in person.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Our wonderful friends at Entergy 17'd up a potential mega-site data deal in the metro because they refused to guarantee adequate power to meet the energy demand. The deal is going to a different location in another part of the state. The problems with Entergy are real and they are extensive. Entergy is 17n pitiful.
That reminds me what Mississippians paid for the Nuke plant and how much power we don't use from it.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I'm sure there is waste and grift somewhere along the line, however, I had a role at MDA years ago and my experience was that those business development folks at MDA were legit pushing MS and incentives that made sense and had some accountability built in. I give MDA all the credit for this one. Of course they all work in "will and pleasure" positions, so ole punchable face tate has to be front and center taking credit as if he did anything meaningful along the way...
I'm glad you keep reminding us how neutral you are politically. Imagine what you would do to Tate - and God help Trump - if you were actually somewhat left leaning but just wouldn't admit it.

civildawg88

Aug 22, 2012
Our wonderful friends at Entergy 17'd up a potential mega-site data deal in the metro because they refused to guarantee adequate power to meet the energy demand. The deal is going to a different location in another part of the state. The problems with Entergy are real and they are extensive. Entergy is 17n pitiful.
I'm not in the know but I'm not sure that's true. We are currently starting substation work for the data centers. You may know more than me because I'm just a peon there though. And yes Entergy has real problems and I know this is about to get political but it already has so I'm going to say it anyway, the DEI hiring practices at Entergy have essentially ruined the company. They are hiring people that have no idea what the heck they are doing. Also lead times for breakers are around 2-4 years which is absolutely crazy

irondog

Jan 20, 2020

Interesting.

He’s giving us an average salary and it’s good.

I’m wondering what the median is going to be?

And where do you think it’ll be located?

Have we all forgotten the Obama Green Energy scams where Mississippi tax payers got hosed?
Does this EV Battery plant have the same game plan?
- Green Tec Auto - Produced nothing but Green Cards for Chinese investors - $$$
- STION Solar panels - $$$$$
- KIOR Bio Fuels - $$$$$$$$$
- Kemper Co. Clean Coal Powerplant - $$$$$$$$$$$

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'm sure the $350M being asked for in incentives will be efficiently addressed*********
It really likely will be. States aren’t as dumb on that as they used to be on incentives. The upfront money will likely be mostly infrastructure investments. There will probably be job training related tax credits that will only be worth something if they actually produce income to be taxed. There will be a fee in lieu agreement that eliminates most ad vslorem taxes other than the school portion.

But the overall structure is very likely to be setup where the vast majority of the incentive is foregone tax revenue if the project gets up and running, not the state coming out of pocket and getting hung out to dry if the project falls apart.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Have we all forgotten the Obama Green Energy scams where Mississippi tax payers got hosed?

Two Vinod Khosla-backed operations on the list.

Charles Wang and Green Tec… 15 years ago with EVs and the MyCar being manufactured in Tunica. If we think EVs are too soon now, what about 2009?

Geez…

Don’t forget that Haley Barbour’s lobbying firm did a lot of promotion with the Kemper County plant.

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
I don't know the details of this project yet, obviously. So I don't know what percentage of the $2B comes from the state, but as it relates to economic development, job creation, and the state's return on that investment:

2,000 new jobs creates new housing built (ad valorem taxes), annual household spending (sales tax), and (at least for now) 2,000 people paying more income tax. And in reality, it probably increases the actual population eventually by 4-5,000 people, meaning more opportunities for all the above in the future. That's just the state, not to mention all the ancillary businesses, restaurants, retailers, schools, delivery companies, hotels, etc. that will most likely get a boost in activities because of this new project.

Point is, it's not just a direct calculation: "We spent $2B, and it took 15 years to get that back". Any legitimate project of this size is good because it should grease the wheels of commerce all the way around.
What you just posted is far beyond some's ability to understand.......sad

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
It's only 26 miles from Byhalia to Collierville, Tn.. Wonder how many of those 2,000 employees will come from there ?
Maybe a few but Collierville is made up of mostly upper middle class people that already have jobs in Memphis. If you're worried about TN folks, maybe Fayette county. But hopefully most employees come from holly springs. Lord knows that town needs some influx of cash.

Reactions: HRMSU

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I don't know the details of this project yet, obviously. So I don't know what percentage of the $2B comes from the state, but as it relates to economic development, job creation, and the state's return on that investment:

2,000 new jobs creates new housing built (ad valorem taxes), annual household spending (sales tax), and (at least for now) 2,000 people paying more income tax. And in reality, it probably increases the actual population eventually by 4-5,000 people, meaning more opportunities for all the above in the future. That's just the state, not to mention all the ancillary businesses, restaurants, retailers, schools, delivery companies, hotels, etc. that will most likely get a boost in activities because of this new project.

Point is, it's not just a direct calculation: "We spent $2B, and it took 15 years to get that back". Any legitimate project of this size is good because it should grease the wheels of commerce all the way around.
I wonder what the state contribution would have been for the $10 billion in Medicaid expansion dollars that were not pumped into our MS health care economy because our state leadership refused to pursue those dollars.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

“Clean coal” = “Cold fusion”

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

KiOR. What a crock that deal was. Thanks for reminding me of that 17ing criminal activity.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Maybe a few but Collierville is made up of mostly upper middle class people that already have jobs in Memphis. If you're worried about TN folks, maybe Fayette county. But hopefully most employees come from holly springs. Lord knows that town needs some influx of cash.
Fayette County folks will most likely go to Blue Oval City.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
The plant is going in the fairly new industrial park (mostly distribution warehouses) near 302 and I-269 in Marshal County. That area of Marshal County has several new middle class subdivisions and probably more on the way. It has really started to develop since the opening of I-269

WREG Article
“I, too, 69”? Seriously, can they get any worse? I thought I69 was bad enough, but “I269”? Is Michael Scott in charge of naming interstates now?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
A Data deal as in data center/server farm for FB/Msoft/AWS?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
1. Yes. That’s Delbert. I don’t think of him being especially tall though I might dare say that when looking at that angled photo, Tate comparatively speaking does look like a…

wait for it..

Tater (I’m sorry! It had to be said… **)

2. I want to know that answer too— also good followup question regarding logistics and I suspect you’ve answered it.
Do y'all really think the state is investing $2 billion into a business coming into the state?

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I know I don't have much of a dog in his fat, but Jesus Christ people. Why are you looking at this with anything but Mississippi glasses on? It takes a little thing to start a more significant thing. I know that from sitting here in Austin. It just takes one big project to get the ball rolling. now you can't say for certain that a project like this might induce some economic growth in that state, but it sure can't hurt.

I know it hurts your soul, but put politics down for two minutes and try to get some economic growth in the state. If they are not stepping on somebody's to get ahead then what the hell can it hurt?

I'm sure that you'll find something, and Mississippi just keeps being the poorest 17ing state in the union.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Do y'all really think the state is investing $2 billion into a business coming into the state?
Of course not.

But we’re also taking into account a state government that in the past sunk millions into a failed beef plant and gave Mississippi Power the right to raise customers’ rates while the Kemper plant was under construction.

The percentage chance that the State passes the burden on to the people is always higher than zero.

The question is: Is it manageable?

Next: Does it make sense?

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I wonder what the state contribution would have been for the $10 billion in Medicaid expansion dollars that were not pumped into our MS health care economy because our state leadership refused to pursue those dollars.
$1B. It’s a 90/10 split.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

I don’t know the answer to the first question.

But it definitely makes sense. I’ve criticized some economic development announcements in the past because I think they didn’t do enough.

This is a big deal and so far the major concern is that out-of-staters may get most of the jobs since John Q. Rebel can’t read. **

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Of course not.

But we’re also taking into account a state government that in the past sunk millions into a failed beef plant and gave Mississippi Power the right to raise customers’ rates while the Kemper plant was under construction.

The percentage chance that the State passes the burden on to the people is always higher than zero.

The beef plant and Stion plant both involved the state getting involved in something they had no business being involved in and essentially making loans. Really dumb because it involved wrong way risk. If things go well, they don’t really get upside. If things go poorly, they get no jobs and lose the money.

Be interesting to see how much direct outlays this project gets. Continental actually got a decent amount of direct investment in the private property, but we probably overpaid to get them to put it in Hinds county. Did sort of the same thing on a much smaller scale with Milwaukee Tool to get them to stay/expand in the delta. But for continental, even then, a large majority of the incentives were still infrastructure investments and/or foregone revenue rather than outlays that would have just disappeared if the project failed.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Hattiesburg gets criticized by folks for marketing itself as the Hub City.

And now people want Mississippi to be the Hub State…
Interesting, especially since the hub is woefully under-developed to serve the "spokes"

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Admittedly, I've been snarky during most of this thread but on a more serious note:

Yes, it is wonderful that there is a potentially high-return project to the state. Mississippi could use high-wage jobs and promise(?) of outside investment. However, I can't help but wonder a few things:

1. What is the original sourcing and where will the $350M ask be spent? If spent on infrastructure, I wonder if this type of funding would be ALSO available to help Jackson, which is woeful need of help.

2. While big projects like this a great for grabbing headlines and social media "impressions" and "likes," how is the state faring in making the already existing businesses in Mississippi be retained?

3. How is the state supporting and growing start-up companies and spin-out companies from universities in order retain them for the long term to grow Mississippi's base economy? Is it succeeding in getting the attention of outside investment?

Again, while the efforts for this project are encouraging, I liken this to a magician having the audience focus in one spot while deceiving them elsewhere. The KPIs for the state are still, in a word: woeful. And the optics in most of the key places Mississippi promotes still in need of improvement.

Sadly, there is still so much work to be done. I hope this project ushers in a new era. I've seen far too many reruns.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Admittedly, I've been snarky during most of this thread…

We’ve been snarky— me a little less so— what with us tagging @Lucifer Morningstar and congratulating him on his economic leadership because our elected officials often play the shell game with us in this realm.

In all seriousness, this move probably is a good play on the state’s part. Maybe the chiefs won’t splash us when they crap on the MDA’s brew.

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Of course not.

Yeah it would be nice if companies could compete for energy customers and insurance customers so maybe there’d be this capitalist incentive to lower costs due to competition.

Lots of projects fail in all states. Doesn’t mean you should stop trying.

But yeah I bet you could blame a lot of that lost money on bureaucracy. I thought you were in favor of that bureaucracy though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login