Tennessee will be having Pilot as their corporate sponsor for football...

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
I cannot imagine two organizations that deserve each other more than Pilot/Flying J & University of Tennessee Athletics.

I am kinda surprised with Pilot/Flying J making this investment/contribution since the Haslam have sold their what was their remaining stake to Berkshire Hathaway after they sued each other over the purchase price.

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The sushi in Winona looked over a week old and was warm. In one of those open air refrig stations.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I opened the thread thinking their sponsor was the Pilot Pen company. Would be sort of fitting for a college. Except it's UT, so more like they are trying to break into a new market and push aside Crayola.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawgg

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Spent about 5 minutes looking up large businesses HQ'd in MS and now I'm sad.

Hancock Whitney? Trustmark?

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Hancock Whitney - the Seal family has been giving lots of $ to MSU Athletics for generations.
Of course. But do they now want to give us more money in exchange for names on the field and/or stadium? They have a nice SEC footprint so could be good advertising dollars for the bank outside of the more local stuff requiring you to be in Starkville to be exposed to.

DesertDawg

Feb 13, 2017
This is interesting since Berkshire Hathaway is the majority share holder in Pilot Flying J. I guess Jimmy Haslam is still the CEO for now.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Of course. But do they now want to give us more money in exchange for names on the field and/or stadium? They have a nice SEC footprint so could be good advertising dollars for the bank outside of the more local stuff requiring you to be in Starkville to be exposed to.
I know Hancock Whitney is technically headquartered in MS but I think a lot of decisions are made in New Orleans. I’d be shocked if one of the public banks jumped out there to put their name on a college stadium. Is it worth pissing off OM fans for trustmark or Bancorp to put their name on the stadium? I know a lot of upper management at regions are big Bama fans but I’d be shocked if they were willing to piss off auburn fans by putting their name on Bama’s stadium.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I know Hancock Whitney is technically headquartered in MS but I think a lot of decisions are made in New Orleans. I’d be shocked if one of the public banks jumped out there to put their name on a college stadium. Is it worth pissing off OM fans for trustmark or Bancorp to put their name on the stadium? I know a lot of upper management at regions are big Bama fans but I’d be shocked if they were willing to piss off auburn fans by putting their name on Bama’s stadium.
It's going to be a market decision one way or the other. Every stadium (assuming that's approved as well?) and field is going to have corporate sponsorship on it. If not, the AD should be promptly fired. There are too many eyeballs on the playing surface and references to the stadium during a broadcast. If that brings about petty fan reactions - so be it. But someone is going to want that real estate now that the NCAA signed off. And really our list of suitors should be more than just MS businesses - I only went there as a starting point. Any business with a southeast footprint and a sizable advertising budget should be interested. We will command less as you would expect but we shouldn't limit ourselves here either.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Lean into the cowbells, find some major dairy company or beef company. Only half joking. That is our brand recognition. Someone who is smart could run with that ad wise

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
It's going to be a market decision one way or the other. Every stadium (assuming that's approved as well?) and field is going to have corporate sponsorship on it. If not, the AD should be promptly fired. There are too many eyeballs on the playing surface and references to the stadium during a broadcast. If that brings about petty fan reactions - so be it. But someone is going to want that real estate now that the NCAA signed off. And really our list of suitors should be more than just MS businesses - I only went there as a starting point. Any business with a southeast footprint and a sizable advertising budget should be interested. We will command less as you would expect but we shouldn't limit ourselves here either.
Oh yeah I agree we gotta get someone to put their name on it. We can’t ignore any revenue source.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login