Tennessee will be having Pilot as their corporate sponsor for football...

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
mad dog pluto GIF by Sarah Schmidt

Aug 23, 2012
I know Hancock Whitney is technically headquartered in MS but I think a lot of decisions are made in New Orleans. I’d be shocked if one of the public banks jumped out there to put their name on a college stadium. Is it worth pissing off OM fans for trustmark or Bancorp to put their name on the stadium? I know a lot of upper management at regions are big Bama fans but I’d be shocked if they were willing to piss off auburn fans by putting their name on Bama’s stadium.
Hancock Whitney already has their name on South Alabama’s stadium and the last time I checked was the official bank of LSU football. Honestly, if sponsorship of a team or stadium pisses someone off enough to refuse to do business with them then that individual needs to get a grip on reality and understand how the concept of capitalism and marketing works.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I think Tennessee may regret doing a 20-year deal so early in the game with the on-field advertising. This could be another ACC-ESPN deal, or probably more like an SEC-CBS deal.
3-5 years is about all I would commit to, if it were my program.

Reactions: patdog

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I cannot imagine two organizations that deserve each other more than Pilot/Flying J & University of Tennessee Athletics.

I am kinda surprised with Pilot/Flying J making this investment/contribution since the Haslam have sold their what was their remaining stake to Berkshire Hathaway after they sued each other over the purchase price.
Haha yep
Just wait til Warren Buffett liquidates and is on top of Neyland peeling off his company name Ron Polk style

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I kid you not - go to the Winona Pilot and you will see for the first time in your adult life, gas station sushi.
The TB in that Pilot is on point though. It's the only fast food (on the correct side of the road) between deer camp and my house.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
I know Hancock Whitney is technically headquartered in MS but I think a lot of decisions are made in New Orleans. I’d be shocked if one of the public banks jumped out there to put their name on a college stadium. Is it worth pissing off OM fans for trustmark or Bancorp to put their name on the stadium? I know a lot of upper management at regions are big Bama fans but I’d be shocked if they were willing to piss off auburn fans by putting their name on Bama’s stadium.
FWIW the CEO is a hardcore Bulldog.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Since Cadence and Bancorpsouth merged, they are larger than Hancock Whitney and Trustmark.
Hedquarters are still based in Tupelo even though they have major offices in Houston and Birmingham. I think Cadence should be a major sponsor. Trustmark had resigned to stay on the Baseball Stadium so I wonder how thst plays out with a stadium and NO team effective September 9?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I would be surprised if Hancock Whitney doesn't do some sort of naming rights with LSU. Part of that is some of the old Whitney people being more comfortable with that type of stuff, part of it is that picking LSU athletics over other LSU schools isn't fraught like trying to sponsor MSU but not Ole Miss or vice versa.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Viking was bought out by a conglomerate out of Illinois I think. They aren't spending advertising dollars at MSU.
Might be a true statement but we can't limit ourselves to businesses traditionally friendly with MSU or have some direct connection. They can have first dibs but this is pure advertising. While our name itself doesn't have near the weight that the power programs do, we still play those power programs and we have grass to ***** out while getting our asses beat at home by those programs. Advertisers don't care where the grass is as long as people are watching on TV. We will command less dollars bc our average viewership is lower but we still have a few big games a year that we can leverage for significant dollars.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Might be a true statement but we can't limit ourselves to businesses traditionally friendly with MSU or have some direct connection. They can have first dibs but this is pure advertising. While our name itself doesn't have near the weight that the power programs do, we still play those power programs and we have grass to ***** out while getting our asses beat at home by those programs. Advertisers don't care where the grass is as long as people are watching on TV. We will command less dollars bc our average viewership is lower but we still have a few big games a year that we can leverage for significant dollars.
All that's true but football naming rights just aren't going to be targeted enough for a brand like Viking I don't think. They'd probably get better bang for their buck spending less money for some naming rights in the boxes and luxury seating areas.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Of course. But do they now want to give us more money in exchange for names on the field and/or stadium? They have a nice SEC footprint so could be good advertising dollars for the bank outside of the more local stuff requiring you to be in Starkville to be exposed to.
We have business here that has the money. The problem is you would have to do all schools in fear of pissing off the other fan base. So they won't.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Since Cadence and Bancorpsouth merged, they are larger than Hancock Whitney and Trustmark.
Hedquarters are still based in Tupelo even though they have major offices in Houston and Birmingham. I think Cadence should be a major sponsor. Trustmark had resigned to stay on the Baseball Stadium so I wonder how thst plays out with a stadium and NO team effective September 9?
Well see how long Cadence claims Tupelo....... With Renasant's acquisition of The First, it will leap frog Trustmark to be the 3rd largest bank based in MS.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
All that's true but football naming rights just aren't going to be targeted enough for a brand like Viking I don't think. They'd probably get better bang for their buck spending less money for some naming rights in the boxes and luxury seating areas.
I have no clue if there's crossover between premium kitchen appliances and college football viewership. My only point was our market should be much bigger than the msu connected.

Reactions: HRMSU
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login