Tesla dealership opening in Brandon...

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The good news is with competition and time the average price of these vehicles will drop as well and that's when it really makes sense to consider buying one. The reliability will also go up significantly.

I see a lot of people claiming that the price pressures on things like lithium are going to make it difficult for any economies of scale to offset battery cost increases. No clue if they know what they are talking about or are just being pessimists.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
If y'all aren't aware, MDOT is under a mandate to install a new network of EV charging stations around the state. They conducted a survey to assess whether to install them at traditional gas stations, stand-alone lots, or as part of hotels/food chains etc. The ability to charge your EV in Mississippi will be radically different by 2024. I don't own an EV, but they will become normal by 2025 as U.S. automakers all move to their "2nd Gen" EV designs. The Federal government has put so many incentives out there, that automakers are forced to accelerate development. In addition, new Federal matching fund grants are moving state agencies along to develop the infrastructure network to support them.

https://mdot.ms.gov/portal/electric_vehicle_charging_infrastructure

In the not too distant future, i see this as becoming a turkey shoot for carjackers, thieves, rapists, etc. People stuck at a charging station with no way to make a quick escape. Wonder what the state's liability will be for this, if they're the ones putting them in?

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
In the not too distant future, i see this as becoming a turkey shoot for carjackers, thieves, rapists, etc. People stuck at a charging station with no way to make a quick escape. Wonder what the state's liability will be for this, if they're the ones putting them in?
None and that is stupid. A car with a battery at 10% can get away from a situation just like a car with 1 gallon in it.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I would imagine when it's no longer a 1st generation model. ;)

As far as EV's go I don't plan to buy one anytime soon. If I were to buy one now I think the Cadillac Lyriq is a good looking one. I can see buying one when I'm no longer driving out of town or no more than a 200 mile radius. I'm an old guy so that may only be 10 years away. Hopefully bugs will be mostly gone by then and I'm still alive.

Why would you wait about buying one when you aren't driving out of town any more? The more you drive, the better the payback is on gas and charging is quick and much cheaper than gas.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Until I see 10-12 year old EVs with 200k miles, the original battery packs, and a grid that can charge tens of thousands of these damn things day or night, we’re still 1st gen and I’m on the sidelines.

You know there are Teslas that meet this criteria, right? ActuLly they exceed these criteria in terms of mileage while still having the original packs.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Tesla is the largest selling luxury vehicle in the US. Yes, it out sells Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes. They make a good product. I have ridden my son-in-law's and that is one helluva car.

Problem, he got sick of recharging it all the time. He now drives just a normal *** pick up and is much happier.

They way Japan is approaching this is through Hybrid technologies. I saw somewhere they had a hybrid pickup in the works that may get 50 mpg. That one intrigues me, if it comes about. Right now the hybrids trucks I have seen only get about 25 mpg.

The biggest thing people need to understand is that this is a world wide push. China sold 6,000,000 EV's last year alone. The US has sold about 2.5 million the past decade. Almost all of Europe is doing this and every major car maker.

During an Interview last month with Chevron's CEO he said that he didn't expect to ever see another refinery built in the US ever. That is a strong statement. He cited governments around the world telling you that they don't want your product. No oil company is going invest in a refinery. This not a US thing but a world thing.

These EV's better work or it could get rough.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Also, it's not like these charging stations are in the middle of nowhere with no one around. The real problem is gonna be pulling into the charging station & it's full, so you have to wait 20 minutes before even beginning to charge your vehicle.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Until I see 10-12 year old EVs with 200k miles, the original battery packs, and a grid that can charge tens of thousands of these damn things day or night, we’re still 1st gen and I’m on the sidelines.

A 1997 Toyota Prius meets the requirements for a Mississippi Antique Car tag. The Prius is a hybrid but Toyota has been the battery powered car business for 25 years now and has proven track record. If I wanted to buy an EV or Hybrid in the near future it would be a Toyota.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
$7,500 tax credit too?

My friend has a Taycan. It’s definitely nice, but it’s flirting with $150K these days. On paper it doesn’t stand up to a Model S, but he always says Tesla’s performance numbers are smoke and mirrors. For the record, I believe a Model S is the fastest car I’ve ever been in.

Last edited:

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Interested in non-Tesla EV models, but the charging situation in Mississippi is holding me back. As of today, you can’t easily go on an interstate road trip north, East, or west from Jackson, unless you are in a Tesla. You can make it to I-10 which has an Electrify America network, but that’s it.

Electrify America is still at least 2 years from expanding on I-20, and the 7/7/22 article below doesn’t sound like Tesla is opening their network anytime soon, looks like they would have to replace a bunch of existing supercharger equipment. I’m still in wait and see mode on EV.

“Later this year, Tesla will begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable non-Tesla EV drivers in North America to use Tesla Superchargers,” the White House states.

Tesla did not respond to an email seeking confirmation of these plans (Elon Musk disbanded the company’s PR office in 2019). It’s not clear whether the White House purposefully scooped Tesla’s own announcement on this project. Musk has been extremely hostile to President Joe Biden, and Biden has gone out of his way to avoid mentioning Tesla while touting the auto industry’s electrification plans.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Yes, I was encouraged to come across that website a few weeks ago. Was disappointed that MS was several years behind all other states (along with SD) to officially designate EV corridors, which was the first step in accepting federal funds. It appears that MDOT is making good progress now though to use all grant funding available to build out chargers on interstates. I hope they also apply for some of the rural discretionary to try and fully build out the Delta and Northeast MS.

Still several years away from all these chargers materializing though.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
$7,500 tax credit too?

My friend has a Taycan. It’s definitely nice, but it’s flirting with $150K these days. On paper it doesn’t stand up to a Model S, but he always says Tesla’s performance numbers are smoke and mirrors. For the record, I believe a Model S is the fastest car I’ve ever been in.

The tax credit was one of the biggest factors drawing me to BMW over Tesla. Factoring that in vs the price of the M3 LR that I would have to get for my daily commute, I would end up paying about 15k more for the Tesla than the BMW.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Tesla is the largest selling luxury vehicle in the US. Yes, it out sells Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes. They make a good product. I have ridden my son-in-law's and that is one helluva car.

Problem, he got sick of recharging it all the time. He now drives just a normal *** pick up and is much happier.

They way Japan is approaching this is through Hybrid technologies. I saw somewhere they had a hybrid pickup in the works that may get 50 mpg. That one intrigues me, if it comes about. Right now the hybrids trucks I have seen only get about 25 mpg.

The biggest thing people need to understand is that this is a world wide push. China sold 6,000,000 EV's last year alone. The US has sold about 2.5 million the past decade. Almost all of Europe is doing this and every major car maker.

During an Interview last month with Chevron's CEO he said that he didn't expect to ever see another refinery built in the US ever. That is a strong statement. He cited governments around the world telling you that they don't want your product. No oil company is going invest in a refinery. This not a US thing but a world thing.

These EV's better work or it could get rough.

Why doesn't he just plug it in at his house and charge at night when he is asleep? That's when most people that own an EV are charging theirs.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I would imagine when it's no longer a 1st generation model. ;)

As far as EV's go I don't plan to buy one anytime soon. If I were to buy one now I think the Cadillac Lyriq is a good looking one. I can see buying one when I'm no longer driving out of town or no more than a 200 mile radius. I'm an old guy so that may only be 10 years away. Hopefully bugs will be mostly gone by then and I'm still alive.

Well, BMW has had an i3 which is lower cost and a much higher cost i8 as well, so the i4 isn't their first electric car, if that helps.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008

I read that somewhere in India there’s a guy that has a Tesla that he uses as a taxi and it has 450K miles on the original battery.

The main battery pack (and the entire drive train, for that matter) in my car has an 8 year, unlimited mileage, non-pro-rated warranty. We’ll see how it goes.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I see a lot of posts here about lack of charging stations, which leads me to believe that some of you folks need to invest in a house with electricity.

I'm in a profession where I drive more than most, and it's almost never that I drive more than 200 miles in a day.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
That's certainly the reputation, but keep in mind electric vehicles require less maintenance because there are less parts. No oil changes, no transmission fluid because there is no transmission

I'm a Honda guy too. Drove 2 for a total of 25 years and close to 600,000 miles. But after driving electric, I never want to go back to a gas car if I don't have to.

We bought a 2015 Nissan Leaf in December 2014. We're still driving it. It has 87564 miles on it.

We bought a new set of tires for it a few years ago. Other than that, we haven't spent a lot of money maintaining it.

As you noted, there's never any need for an oil change.

We only drive our gas car when we have to (e.g., our destination is more than 40 miles away; we have to separately go somewhere at the same time).

patdog

May 28, 2007
which leads me to believe that some of you folks need to invest in a house with electricity.
This is actually a big issue for people who live in large cities and/or apartments. A good reliable EV would be a great 2nd car for most homeowners, but for a lot of people, there's a LOT of charging infrastructure that needs to be built. Not to mention, we need to build a new power plant for every 5 we currently have to handle the additional load if we move to 100% EVs.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Since Dec 2021, all new homes built in San Jose must include an EV hookup. I would say MS is about 4-5 years away from that requirement.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Teslas will charge overnight at home (6-10 hours.) You should really never have to charge during the day unless you're taking a long trip.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Since Dec 2021, all new homes built in San Jose must include an EV hookup. I would say MS is about 4-5 years away from that requirement.

Mississippi will resist this with every fiber of its being.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
What’s the charge time for plugging in at home? I don’t know anything about them.

It depends on the beginning state of charge of the battery and your home charging setup. The longest time mine has ever taken at home (at night while I sleep) was about 5 or 6 hours. I was down to about 40 miles of battery left and I typically charge it up to about 250 miles of range (85%) which is supposed to be a good charging level for long-term battery health. My charger at home is on a 60 amp breaker and charges at a rate of about 32-34 miles per hour. The range of the car is about 300 miles when charged up to 100% but, since I rarely need to drive more than 200 miles in a day, 250 miles/85% works out great for me.

I don’t know about other brands but Tesla has a free app you can use that lets you control charging (and *MANY* other things on the car) remotely. For example, you can remotely set the level you want to charge it to, when to do the charging (for off-peak charging times), and what time you want the charging to be completed by. If you want to see what the app looks like and can do, you can download it for free in the App Store whether you have a Tesla or not.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I read that somewhere in India there’s a guy that has a Tesla that he uses as a taxi and it has 450K miles on the original battery.

The main battery pack (and the entire drive train, for that matter) in my car has an 8 year, unlimited mileage, non-pro-rated warranty. We’ll see how it goes.

Wonder how many hours a day he can drive before recharging. I guess all the city driving helps with regenerative breaking. I guess if you have a 300 mile battery and average under 40 miles an hour for the day (which I think would be almost a certainty for most places, especially including down time), that would in theory get you an 8 hour day.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Mississippi will resist this with every fiber of its being.

As they should. People that want EVs can put them in. Lot of people may have driving habits that make a regular 110 outlet fine. If you have a panel in or near your garage, it won't be that hard to add it after the fact. Just no reason to make housing more expensive with a mandate like that.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012

I don't see that happening in 4-5 years in MS. I took Hurricane Katrina for Mississippi to consider having a statewide building code that didn't going into effect until late 2014.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Do you still own a gas vehicle also ? I ask because I think our ideal situation would be to own one of each.

Last edited:

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
What’s the charge time for plugging in at home? I don’t know anything about them.

I charge mine to 80% and when I get home it's around 30% left. I try to keep it between 80 and 20% to maintain battery life. I set it to start charging at 8:30 PM and it's usually done around 1 AM or so.

I was where a lot of people in this thread seem to be - against EVs. But it changed for me when I got in one. My friend has a Tesla and I rode in his (and he even let me drive it). Once I did that, I was hooked. I have 2 coworkers who say the battery technology just isn't there for them to be convinced. I don't know what to say to that since Tesla has been making cars that can go over 400 miles on a single charge. Even the lower end gets well over 200. My BMW gets about 300.

Some people just have their minds made up and nothing, not even a decade of reliable performance can convince them otherwise.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
I telework most of the time, but at least want the option to be able to drive to Atlanta, Memphis, or Dallas if needed. I don’t want any car that is limited to the Jackson metro. Could rent a gas car for the occasional road trip I guess, but rentals really expensive nowadays.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
As they should. People that want EVs can put them in. Lot of people may have driving habits that make a regular 110 outlet fine. If you have a panel in or near your garage, it won't be that hard to add it after the fact. Just no reason to make housing more expensive with a mandate like that.

Agree.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
True, but toyota and honda are two of the most progressive, yet reliable auto manufacturers, and both have been slow-rolling the gas-to-battery transition, citing infrastructure concerns, for one.

That said, Hybrids and EV's shouldn't be in the same conversation. I work with a guy who still drives a 12 year old Honda Insight, but he's been driving it last few years with the battery disconnected since he was quoted 3500 bucks to replace it. I'd guess a comparable EV sized vehicle battery would be significantly more expensive.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Do you still own a gas vehicle also ? I ask because I think our ideal situation would be to own one of each.

My wife still has a Honda Odyssey van. We will have it for family trips and she does her daily commute in it plus takes the kids to school, etc. My new car would be too small for all of us to go in a long trip in it. But I fully plan on her next vehicle being an electric SUV. She has voiced what a lot of people here has said - she wants better infrastructure before she goes fully electric. And by the time we can get her one, it will be there.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I would love to own one of each. We could do a lot of our road trips in an EV. We just need to many seats. Don't think there are any 7 seater fully electrics yet, or at least not anywhere near a price I'd be willing to pay.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I would love to own one of each. We could do a lot of our road trips in an EV. We just need to many seats. Don't think there are any 7 seater fully electrics yet, or at least not anywhere near a price I'd be willing to pay.

Rivian SUV is a 7 seater, but yeah your point is valid https://rivian.com/r1s

To me the Rivian Truck and SUV are the best looking electric cars currently.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Why should tax dollar$ have to be used to build these? If there was enough demand you would think the private sector would be all over it.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
There's no way that lithium batteries are sustainable for mass adoption of electronic vehicles. It's just not possible

CountryHouse

Apr 22, 2022
Model Y owner here, with optional third row. Bought last June new. It’s a 7 seater. Paid about 67k for it because we wanted the assisted navigation (autopilot). It’s worth about 80k now.

Bought the wall charger, it was $500. Electrician charged $300 to install in the garage. Best $800 spent probably ever. I would’ve burned that in my F150 I used to have in a month thanks to these stupid gas prices. Tesla costs me maybe $30/mo to charge at home.

Just got back from the beach with it. It’s a road machine. Stopped in Hattiesburg so I could top off the charge and the kids could eat/bathroom break. Stopped again at buc-ee’s in Robertsdale to charge while the kids flushed some cash down those pristine toilets and I ate a BBQ sammich. Come at me.

The condo’s office let me use their 110v outlet to charge overnight (I have the adaptor). It was enough to get us around when needed. We reversed the process when headed back home: buc-ee’s then Hattiesburg. Only ate a biscuit at buc-ee’s coming back, no sammich. Round trip paid maybe $35 to charge four times.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login