Tesla dealership opening in Brandon...

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Rivian SUV is a 7 seater, but yeah your point is valid https://rivian.com/r1s

To me the Rivian Truck and SUV are the best looking electric cars currently.

If I were in the market for an EV, Rivian would be the route I took. Not crazy about the shape of the headlights but that's a minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

The problem Rivian has it seems is their manufacturing cannot keep up with demand. It's a several months wait, at least for the R1S. The split tailgate on the R1S is a nice feature.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Model Y owner here, with optional third row. Bought last June new. It’s a 7 seater. Paid about 67k for it because we wanted the assisted navigation (autopilot). It’s worth about 80k now.

Bought the wall charger, it was $500. Electrician charged $300 to install in the garage. Best $800 spent probably ever. I would’ve burned that in my F150 I used to have in a month thanks to these stupid gas prices. Tesla costs me maybe $30/mo to charge at home.

Just got back from the beach with it. It’s a road machine. Stopped in Hattiesburg so I could top off the charge and the kids could eat/bathroom break. Stopped again at buc-ee’s in Robertsdale to charge while the kids flushed some cash down those pristine toilets and I ate a BBQ sammich. Come at me.

The condo’s office let me use their 110v outlet to charge overnight (I have the adaptor). It was enough to get us around when needed. We reversed the process when headed back home: buc-ee’s then Hattiesburg. Only ate a biscuit at buc-ee’s coming back, no sammich. Round trip paid maybe $35 to charge four times.

So can you actually fit 7 people in it? I saw the model Y as an option for 7 seater but based on the outside assumed it wasn't really feasible to fit 7 in it. If it's basically the equivalent of a crossover, I don't know if I could stomach the price tag just because it's so much more than a comparable ICE. I think I could handle paying for the RS1 before that just because the equivalent SUV's are already so damn expensive.

ETA: Nevermind. Was looking at old pricing of RS1. The $90K+ price tag of the new Rivian is a no go to me, but if they could do a toned down one that doesn't have all the off road capabilities but can still tow 7,000 lbs, I would be willing to pay a lot for it.

Last edited:

CountryHouse

Apr 22, 2022
Yes, 7 people. 7 adults fit but I don’t recommend a road trip with that many. The third row is smaller but the second row has plenty of room. We laid the third row down to fit beach chairs and luggage. The frunk held the beach bag, towels and backpack cooler that had food in it.

It’s a crossover that’s fast and can manage sandy/grassy/muddy parking lots. That’s all I really ask it to do. Just speed and don’t get stuck. The fart noise horn feature is icing on the cake.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Why should tax dollar$ have to be used to build these? If there was enough demand you would think the private sector would be all over it.

Why have tax dollars been thrown at companies that specialize in oil, tech, transportation, air and space, clothing, agriculture, etc etc etc?

Apply those reasons to EV.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
City of Ridgeland approved one of the new stations to be located at Renaissance. They will supposedly be generic and charge any EV's.

Thirty-Two Dive

Feb 10, 2013
Model 3, Standard Range+ owner. Bought it in early 2019, when this trim level first came out, and the tax credit had only been half phased out. Pretty much the cheapest Tesla you could buy. Tesla gave me a Wall Connector (along with the then included Mobile Connector), for picking up the car when the delivery went awry. The same car/equipment now, costs $13,000 more to obtain. While the initial price of poker is high, the powertrain operation cost is remarkably cheap. You have virtually no maintenance. The rest of the car, wears like any other, in terms of tires, shocks, windshields, etc.. The brakes last for damn ever, though, for regenerative braking does most of the job.

Although 40 months in, it's the best car I've owned. It fits my needs perfectly. Like it so much, I've ordered a Model Y for the wife. It's not for everyone. But there is a good portion of car owners, who would benefit greatly from Tesla ownership.

I didn't say EV ownership, for the present charging infrastructure (in most of Mississippi) is woeful for non-Tesla EV's. When EV fast charging improves in the next several years, then I will be more of an advocate for all EVs. And when that happens, the cheaper EVs will be a great alternative. To much adventure, right now, for anyone who doesn't embrace being an early adapter.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
We are about a month into our first "EV."

Got my wife to trade in her Volvo for the Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon. It's a plugin hybrid that will go about 25-30 miles on electric. Has about 350 miles of total range.

We live 100+ miles from a Walmart or McDonald's much less a supercharger and it gets really cold so no pure EV would work for us. The plugin hybrid lets us get a full charge with a cord from our existing 50 amp outlet that we use for the RV hookup, in about 1.5 hours. We can run around town all day on $.75 worth of electricity instead of the $12-15 for a few gallons of gas.

Took it through some of the most remote country in the continental US the last few weeks from here to Glacier NP and back. No big deal. Just filled her up with some 87 octane a few times.

Here are the specs.

2022 Jeep Rubicon with 375 hp and 470lbs of torque. We are currently getting a combined 38.5 mpg equivalent. After tax rebates it's $2k cheaper than a similarily equipped v6 Rubicon that gets roughly half the MPG with 285 HP and 260 ft/lbs of torque. Biggest no brainer ever for me. The Jeep acts as an SUV, side by side, and an electric golf cart for quietly cruising around the neighborhood.

EVs are great for many people, but a Plugin Hybrid can work for anyone. I hope one of the big 3 make a plugin hybrid 3/4 ton truck down the road. Nothing to do with environmental stuff, way more power, much better fuel economy, and after tax rebates... It's cheaper.

Check out this picture from Going To The Sun Road last week. Used gravity and regenerative breaking to charge the battery about 40% from Logan's Pass down to Avalanche. It's fun cruising around Glacier in silent mode with the top off... But that oil pressure freaked me out for about 15 seconds.

View attachment 24725

Last edited:

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Why should tax dollar$ have to be used to build these? If there was enough demand you would think the private sector would be all over it.

For the same reasons that tax dollars are used to build power lines and literally any other electrical infrastructure. The private sector can’t just turn around and sell electricity that is provided by a city or municipality. How would you like it if someone like Amazon bought the power grid for your neighborhood, and started selling electricity to you at a 20% markup per kWh?

Dawg1969

Aug 22, 2012
My question: where is the gas tax money, used to maintain roads, going to come from if we don't have gasoline cars any longer.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
My question: where is the gas tax money, used to maintain roads, going to come from if we don't have gasoline cars any longer.

If you have any concerns that they won't be able to figure out a way to tax us, you should find other worries. I assure you, they will find a way to collect taxes.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yep. The way has been found in Mississippi:

$75 annual fee for hybrids and $150 for EVs.

Link.

It’s a little higher than I had expected but considering that the gas tax is really low in comparison to other states, it’s not a bad starting off spot.

Last edited:

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

In the end by the time they get through collecting fees and use taxes you'll be spending as much or more per mile to drive your EV as you were your gas vehicle. Big brother gonna get his. Not gonna do anything now but it's coming.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
In the end by the time they get through collecting fees and use taxes you'll be spending as much or more per mile to drive your EV as you were your gas vehicle. Big brother gonna get his. Not gonna do anything now but it's coming.

You're not wrong, and believe me plenty gets squandered/stolen - but the roads don't just magically appear & keep themselves up either.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Yep. The way has been found in Mississippi:

$75 annual fee for hybrids and $150 for EVs.

Link.

It’s a little higher than I had expected but considering that the gas tax is really low in comparison to other states, it’s not a bad starting off spot.

How much of that tag registration fee goes to roads? $1700 first year on a new Rivian just to get tags, surely a chunk is going to roads right?

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
How much of that tag registration fee goes to roads? $1700 first year on a new Rivian just to get tags, surely a chunk is going to roads right?

Mississippians who drive a hybrid vehicle will pay a $75 tax when they register their car or renew their car tag while electric car owners will pay a tax of $150. All monies will go to the Mississippi Department of Transportation.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel.

I think one of those Tesla things will fit in the glove box, you know, for emergencies?
So. I really don’t care about the environmental impact of a Tesla or any electric car. My love is the torque. Sure my electric may fit in your glove box. But I have no need for a truck that size so while you are figuring out that math, my “theoretical” Tesla is 700 yards ahead of you. Honestly if they figure out charging station synergy, I am all about electric. I want Ludicrous speed!!!

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
As I mentioned earlier, I didn’t but my Tesla Model S because it is electric; I bought it because I liked the technology (autopilot, etc.). Since it is a P100D, I also love the torque (0-60 in 2.38 seconds).

When I checked the Tesla app on my phone today it told me that, using my actual rate for residential electricity, I have saved $298 over the equivalent cost of gasoline in the last 31 days. Virtually all of my charging is done at home and I’ve averaged just a little over 1,000 miles per month for the last 11 months since I bought the car.

It’s been 11 months since I bought the tag for this car and I don’t have the receipt in front of me but I seem to remember that the tag in Noxubee County, MS was just a little over $3,000 including the electric vehicle fee. If you take the ~$300/month gas saving and multiply it by 12, that comes out to ~$3,600 so I guess I’m money ahead. If you subtract the cost of a tag for a similar ICE car that I would have to have if I didn’t have the Tesla, the savings are even greater. If you just use the $150 annual EV fee, I’m way ahead.

That doesn’t even take into account the fact that there are no oil change costs, no transmission fluid to check and/or replenish, and disc brake pads last seemingly forever because most of the slowing down is done through regenerative braking which actually puts energy back into the battery.

Electric cars are *not* for everybody. Some people just hate them, usually because they don’t understand them (that’s probably gonna step on some toes). When considering an electric car a person should take an honest, realistic look at how they would most likely use it. Do your research. For me and my use, it is a great solution but everybody’s situation is different.

------

I've tried 5 or 6 times to edit the first sentence to say "buy"; not "but" but, for some reason it won't save the change.

Last edited:

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
When I checked the Tesla app on my phone today it told me that, using my actual rate for residential electricity, I have saved $298 over the equivalent cost of gasoline in the last 31 days. Virtually all of my charging is done at home and I’ve averaged just a little over 1,000 miles per month for the last 11 months since I bought the car.

If I drove a Lexus GS(sedan similar size to Tesla) that gets 24 mpg 1000 miles. Gas cost is $167 at $4 a gallon. How is the Tesla app coming up with $298 in savings for the month using electricity instead of gas?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
If I drove a Lexus GS(sedan similar size to Tesla) that gets 24 mpg 1000 miles. Gas cost is $167 at $4 a gallon. How is the Tesla app coming up with $298 in savings for the month using electricity instead of gas?

He has "averaged just a little over 1,000 miles per month for the last 11 months since he bought the car." Probably has driven more than that in the last 31 days. I think Tesla actually uses close to 30 mpg for their calculations as well.

Phred's numbers seem reasonable for someone driving 1500-2000 miles in the last 31 days in a Tesla.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
He has "averaged just a little over 1,000 miles per month for the last 11 months since he bought the car." Probably has driven more than that in the last 31 days. I think Tesla actually uses close to 30 mpg for their calculations as well.

Phred's numbers seem reasonable for someone driving 1500-2000 miles in the last 31 days in a Tesla.

Yes. I think my trip back home from Pigeon Forge, TN was within that 31 day window.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Yes. I think my trip back home from Pigeon Forge, TN was within that 31 day window.

Gives us the actual miles for the month so we can compare apples to apples. I'm not an electric hater and think it's the future but I would like to see real world numbers. Doesn't the app tell you the miles driven in the time period to come up with the $298 savings.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
Gives us the actual miles for the month so we can compare apples to apples. I'm not an electric hater and think it's the future but I would like to see real world numbers. Doesn't the app tell you the miles driven in the time period to come up with the $298 savings.

The app doesn’t give me the miles and I don’t keep up with them manually. I can only assume that, since it knows how much electricity I used, it must use some kind of conversion factor for an equivalent amount of energy produced by a gasoline engine.

One additional factor is that, since I have free supercharging for the life of the car, charging “on the road” is free to me.

Free supercharging is not available for newer cars (mine is a 2017 year model) but, from what I’ve read and depending on the current state of charge of your battery, the cost for about 250 miles of driving is typically somewhere around $13-$15.

I’ll try to post a screen shot if I can figure out how to do it on my phone.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Cool thanks. I like to see real world data. I may go electric at some point in the future but not any time soon.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
If you have any concerns that they won't be able to figure out a way to tax us, you should find other worries. I assure you, they will find a way to collect taxes.

I live in Virginia and own a Nissan Leaf (i.e., a 100% EV).

Effective July 1, 2020, Virginia began assessing all electric, hybrid and fuel-efficient vehicles a "highway use" fee in addition to the annual registration fee. The highway use fee is imposed at the time of registration renewal to recoup the fuels taxes not paid by owners of fuel efficient vehicles having a combined mile per gallon (MPG) rating of 25 MPG or greater.

The yearly highway use fee for my Leaf is currently $116.

Ain't that some ****? If your vehicle gets good gas mileage, then you are assessed this additional tax. Do we really want to discourage people from using less gas?

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
View attachment 24741View attachment 24742View attachment 24743

I finally got home and was able to use my laptop to upload the screenshots from the Tesla app on my phone that I had talked about.

$0.13 per KwH (as shown on the second screenshot) is what 4-County charges me for residential electricity. I don't know exactly how Tesla computes the equivalent gasoline cost for the same driving.

The last screenshot is what the app looks like when it is first opened. It shows that my car is parked and plugged in, how much time until it will reach my pre-set charging limit, the rate in miles gained per hour of charging, how much mileage has been added since I plugged it in, and other various information. BTW, the picture of the car is exactly what my car looks like including paint color, wheels, and tires.

As you can see, the savings that it computed today are $281, not $298 as I had previously mentioned a day or so ago. I believe that this is because my trip home from Pigeon Forge had "dropped off" from the beginning of the 31 day period it uses to compute the data. Since my supercharging is free and basically all of the trip home was using superchargers, it stands to reason that the total amount saved was higher when I first mentioned it than it is today.

I'm not trying to sell anyone a Tesla. I have no dog in this hunt. I just am trying to provide information to anyone else who is considering buying one just as I was trying to get information when I was trying to decide if it made sense for me. Ultimately, I decided that it did and, after 11 months of ownership and driving, I am convinced that I made the right decision *for me*. If you are thinking seriously about it, you obviously need to make your decision based on you own particular situation.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Google says a Model S goes 1 mile per .28 kwh. So you traveled about 2485 miles +/- on 696 kwh. If the app is comparing to a gas car that gets 30 mpg that would be in the ballpark of your $280 savings. Not bad

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
View attachment 24746

This is a popup window in the Tesla app that explains a little about how they compute the gas savings figure. Not sure how they got the $4.90/gallon price for Mississippi, though. It's certainly lower than that now but maybe the average for the last 31 days might be close to $4.90 - I don't know since I don't buy much gasoline and so I don't keep up with it very closely.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add: Link to Charging Stats info web page

You can read a more detailed explanation of how Tesla computes Charging Stats by going to https://www.tesla.com/support/tesla-app/charge-stats

Also, you can view several short videos about features in the Tesla app at this link: https://www.tesla.com/support/tesla-app

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login