Texas football with the first NIL tactical nuke

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013
This is not good news for schools of our size. College football as we know it may be circling the drain.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Saw that a while back. Figured it's time to quit paying coaches so much and start paying players.

Last edited:

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
I think one of the first things the NCAA is going to attempt to do is strike down where “all players” or all players in one position group get something.

Because the intent of NIL was to allow players to make money off their personal likeness and image the same way pro players do.

Next step will be to try amd establish some kind of fair market value which gets really tricky amd not sure they’ll be able to do that.

Really curious to see how they try to fence in some of this stuff

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I was just thinking the other day how comical it was that after some coaches just took 25-50% pay cuts in 2020, fast forward to just one year later and we’re talking about $15M/yr offers on the table at LSU for Jimbo.

I have never been so sure that the money is there for the majority of P5 teams to do virtually anything they want. It’s just a matter of who chooses to do it

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Some of yall act like no 18-22 year old has ever gotten a 1099

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
True, but mostly from employers that already withheld necessary taxes/deductions, and mostly jobs that wouldn’t pay them enough to be taxed anyway.

Gotta admit that we’re not talking about $8/hr jobs here, so there will be some risk if not handled properly

jb1020

Jun 7, 2009
Agreed

This is where it becomes absolutely no fun for a school like us. Knew it was coming though.

If Schools like Texas decide to really give a **** about baseball it will sting even more.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

I'm gonna bet that there aren't many getting NIL deals that have the intellect or self-discipline to stick money back from the cash that they get, in order to pay taxes on that 1099 that they will get by the end of every January. That money will be long since guzzled as beer, driven as a car, or worn as a gaudy gold chain around a neck.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

For real… it’s the worst argument against NIL I see around here. If somebody offers to give me $50k, I’ll happily deal with the tax consequences

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
I think one of the first things the NCAA is going to attempt to do is strike down where “all players” or all players in one position group get something.

Because the intent of NIL was to allow players to make money off their personal likeness and image the same way pro players do.

Next step will be to try amd establish some kind of fair market value which gets really tricky amd not sure they’ll be able to do that.

NCAA is already investigating BYU and Miami NILs as pay for play schemes. They have deals that pay the entire team. I already posted months ago that I thought Miami's deal was a farce, because the gym involved wanted to claim it was used by the entire Hurricane football team. Seems like the money should go to the school and not the players, since their individual NILs are not being used.

Policing fair market value would be tough, and could land the NCAA in court again. But there should be some way to police the legitimacy of these deals.

OTOH, if a company pays for the right to use players' NILs and later decides not to use those rights, who is to say the original deal was a sham? BYU's deal is with Built protein bars. I suppose Built purchased the right to use the image of any or all football players in advertising. If they decide to just use 1 or 2 players, is the whole deal considered pay for play?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I'm gonna bet that there aren't many getting NIL deals that have the intellect or self-discipline to stick money back from the cash that they get, in order to pay taxes on that 1099 that they will get by the end of every January. That money will be long since guzzled as beer, driven as a car, or worn as a gaudy gold chain around a neck.

There are adults and very wealthy adults that get in trouble for not paying taxes all the time. Maybe we should give them a chance before we say they are going to blow it and not pay taxes. I’m sure some will absolutely blow it but my guess most will be fine.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013

well maybe in a day gone by some kids got a 1099.... but I'd say in today's world, the numbers are very few ..especially among the division 1 level athletes.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
For real… it’s the worst argument against NIL I see around here. If somebody offers to give me $50k, I’ll happily deal with the tax consequences

If you really think all of these players are going to save money for taxes if you cut another thing coming.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
This is where it becomes absolutely no fun for a school like us. Knew it was coming though.

If Schools like Texas decide to really give a **** about baseball it will sting even more.

I think you could be absolutely right that this will suck for us. However, I view it as we are already getting a player that is a cut below what Texas and Ohio state of the world is getting anyway. All NIL is doing is making the ultra rich (Bama, Texas, Ohio state… etc) more rich. I doubt it really does much to the rest. College football is already a few elite programs and then everyone else (at least power 5 anyway).

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
If you really think all of these players are going to save money for taxes if you cut another thing coming.

I don’t care if they do or not. That is their problem. But I’m not going to assume they are going to 17 it up and by that assumption say they shouldn’t get money. They either get the money and pay taxes like everyone else or get in trouble like everyone else. It’s one of those “good problems” for the athletes

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
But at least the players are treated fairly.
They're already treated fairly except by the NFL. They are minor league professional athletes and get paid well for it. IN every sport but football, if they're good enough, they can go to the highest level of play if they're good enough (well, I guess in basketball they still have a one year stopover; not sure what their compensation is for that, but regardless, it has nothing to do with the NCAA not being fair). I don't think any other minor league professional athletes get treated as well unless it is because their rights are already held by a higher level team and they are footing the bill.

All that is going to happen witih NIL is that the value that the brands of the NCAA members is going to be siphoned off by players. Not the worst thing in the world since a lot of it is already being siphoned off by coaches and a facilities arms race, but it's still worse than the status quo.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
I think you could be absolutely right that this will suck for us. However, I view it as we are already getting a player that is a cut below what Texas and Ohio state of the world is getting anyway. All NIL is doing is making the ultra rich (Bama, Texas, Ohio state… etc) more rich. I doubt it really does much to the rest. College football is already a few elite programs and then everyone else (at least power 5 anyway).

I pretty much agree, but in recruiting, the only way to make the ultra rich more rich is by making the rest of us poorer......by making sure guys like Chris Jones, Jeffery Simmons, and Charles Cross never sign with us.

Your last sentence nuts it, but I feel like NIL is going to expand that gap and its hard for me to see how that is good for CFB as a whole. It's going to be interesting to watch play out.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
And they will just go out and get a "Handshake" from an alum to take care of that too

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

BINGO.

It's NIL for the players, not the school. This grouping based on the school will end. And just wait for the next true economic downturn, a lot of NIL will go away.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I was just thinking the other day how comical it was that after some coaches just took 25-50% pay cuts in 2020, fast forward to just one year later and we’re talking about $15M/yr offers on the table at LSU for Jimbo.

I have never been so sure that the money is there for the majority of P5 teams to do virtually anything they want. It’s just a matter of who chooses to do it
You can pay as much as you want, but you just can't make fans come out. Fans are what makes a program, not just money. You can't just snap your fingers and create fans.

Why can't USC or UCLA get anybody to come to their baseball games? Tons of talent out there, they've both won national championships, still average less than a high school football game.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013

Yea, I doubt this will be the issue yall are making it out to be. Do you really think a Nick Saban is going to leave something like this in the hands of the players? I don't know how it would be structured, but he will essentially require NIL money to go through money managers who withhold money for taxes. Again, I don't know how he would do it, but I know he isn't going to leave it up to them.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I don’t care if they do or not. That is their problem. But I’m not going to assume they are going to 17 it up and by that assumption say they shouldn’t get money. They either get the money and pay taxes like everyone else or get in trouble like everyone else. It’s one of those “good problems” for the athletes

Exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
what happens when they don't perform, AKA Bo Nix?

If whatever company is giving the NIL money does not feel like they are getting a good enough return on their investment then they probably will stop the deal. It happens.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
If whatever company is giving the NIL money does not feel like they are getting a good enough return on their investment then they probably will stop the deal. It happens.
And then that player hits the portal. See Bo Nix. This stuff cuts both ways. Feelings get hurt.

The maturity needed to navigate this **** has been amplified by a power of 10. Downplay it if you want to, but there will be consequences and these players will suffer.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Don't worry, the NCAA will make sure there is a fair and even playing field for all schools.*************************************

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
This is America and like most places in the world, money matters. Now that the spigot is open, big schools with rich boosters who care about winning college athletic events are gonna throw cash at players.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
There are a few more things to do in LA than in the Golden Triangle including attending MLB games and watching other professional sports. Some people just don't care about college baseball.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
You can pay as much as you want, but you just can't make fans come out. Fans are what makes a program, not just money. You can't just snap your fingers and create fans.

Why can't USC or UCLA get anybody to come to their baseball games? Tons of talent out there, they've both won national championships, still average less than a high school football game.

Stadiums will switch to fewer more luxury seating and corporations will fill the void. How else do you explain anyone attending an NBA game?

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
If whatever booster is giving the NIL money does not feel like they are getting a good enough return on their investment then they probably will stop the deal. It happens.

Fixed it for you.

I still laugh whenever I see the phrase “NIL company”. There is literally no such thing in the sense of a legitimate, profitable enterprise. It’s just boosters by another name.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
There are a few more things to do in LA than in the Golden Triangle including attending MLB games and watching other professional sports. Some people just don't care about college baseball.
That's the whole point. You can't just start "caring". I thought I explained this.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
NCAA is already investigating BYU and Miami NILs as pay for play schemes. They have deals that pay the entire team. I already posted months ago that I thought Miami's deal was a farce, because the gym involved wanted to claim it was used by the entire Hurricane football team. Seems like the money should go to the school and not the players, since their individual NILs are not being used.

Policing fair market value would be tough, and could land the NCAA in court again. But there should be some way to police the legitimacy of these deals.

OTOH, if a company pays for the right to use players' NILs and later decides not to use those rights, who is to say the original deal was a sham? BYU's deal is with Built protein bars. I suppose Built purchased the right to use the image of any or all football players in advertising. If they decide to just use 1 or 2 players, is the whole deal considered pay for play?

Sorry, I stopped reading at “NCAA is already investigating”. That will never again matter, for anything. Can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube anymore.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Fixed it for you.

I still laugh whenever I see the phrase “NIL company”. There is literally no such thing in the sense of a legitimate, profitable enterprise. It’s just boosters by another name.

So the NIL deal that Will Rogers picked up with Moe’s BBQ is done by a booster of MSU? I obviously know that a booster with an LLC can do whatever they want in terms of NIL, if they feel inclined to give money to a prospect. But you guys are seeing the 1% of NIL stuff and thinking that is going to be rampant. What is way more likely is the will rogers deal with Moe’s BBQ that probably amounts to not that much money for Will.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
This is not good news for schools of our size. College football as we know it may be circling the drain.

It's as though the entire sport is mashing the accelerator to have far fewer fans paying substantial money. Didn't really work out for horse racing or boxing.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login