Thamel saying the ACC…

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
Is having meetings to vet adding Cal and Stanford. This is a mad dash to not be without a seat in a very expensive game of musical chairs. With my school tucked safely away in the rich, safe, gated neighborhood (right now) I got to tell you this is high level entertainment.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Wow! That's crazy. I think if I'm Stanford, I'd rather just go independent and continue working on the Big 10. Cal probably can't afford to be that choosy about getting in a conference.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
This isn’t sustainable long term just like I don’t think NIL is, or the transfer portal although I think that in its current format may make it longer than these new Conference alignments.
The travel and travel expenses is what’s going to make this one big overhaul process in the next couple of years.
I just can’t see a basketball team or a women’s volleyball team or swim team getting on a plane and traveling across the country to play a midweek matchup.
This is going to take a toll on the student athletes and especially academically for them.
Right now its all about a money grab by these Presidents and AD’s that I think will eventually work itself out in some form of a new regional alignment but maybe only with 3-4 super conferences.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Wow! That's crazy. I think if I'm Stanford, I'd rather just go independent and continue working on the Big 10. Cal probably can't afford to be that choosy about getting in a conference.

The ACC might just be the second most academically inclined conference in the country. Cal & Stanford would be very comfortable with UNC, Duke, UVA, and Georgia Tech.

When it comes to Louisville and Florida State though...

I can’t believe no one wants Oregon State. They’ve won 3 College World Series!

This is called foreshadowing, right @615dawg?

Stanford should join the SEC....the "culture shock" would be good for them. **

The Pac-12 (rip) does have Pullman...

And while Pullman doesn't have a Target, there is one in Moscow, Idaho less than 7 miles away from the Wazzu campus...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawgg

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
The ACC don't want Memphis.
That’s backup option if they can’t pair someone with WVU. Maybe I should’ve said SMU.

Edited to add this thought: Is now the time when Fred Smith can buy Memphis’s way into a power conference? Promise to handle shipping logistics for all of the equipment for these cross country games.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Is having meetings to vet adding Cal and Stanford. This is a mad dash to not be without a seat in a very expensive game of musical chairs. With my school tucked safely away in the rich, safe, gated neighborhood (right now) I got to tell you this is high level entertainment.
Nothing says Atlantic Coast more than the SF Bay Area.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
If I was Stanford (Stanford's $36.3 billion endowment), I'd buy Fox (FOX): $21.06 Billion or Paramount Global (PARA): $23.49 Billion.

Then tell the Big10 that it would be a shame if something happened to the TV deal....

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It's a long way from Norman and Austin to Gainesville but that trip won't be every year. some of these conferences' teams are getting far away from each other. Ok if you have one or two but when you have five and six. They may not work out in the long run. The Big 12 has one team in West Virginia and another on the West Coast. That is just stupid. I guess Rutger's to Oregon or LA is just as bad. Every conference leaders except for the SEC and ACC living in the moment and have no rational thought. It's a mad grab because of what the SEC did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
This is called foreshadowing, right @615dawg?
ha! Just to clarify, my belief is that major college football will be its own thing (because that's what makes economic sense for the TV execs). Alabama and Texas will still be in the SEC for other sports.

Cal and Stanford are quite the enigma. Stanford is technically the strongest athletic department in the country. Not sure how much it makes sense for the ACC. I read a report today that last week, Oregon reached out to the Big 12 to see if they would take the entire bunch except for Oregon State and Washington State.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
It's a long way from Norman and Austin to Gainesville but that trip won't be every year. some of these conferences' teams are getting far away from each other. Ok if you have one or two but when you five and six. They may not work out in the long run. The Big 12 has one team in West Virginia and another on the West Coast. That is just stupid. I guess Penn State to Oregon or LA is just as bad. Everyone is living in the moment and have no rational thought.
That's true for the majority of the conference, and maybe you could make the schedule so the travel for football isn't bad. travel back on a sunday could be a film session.

What about basketball? Those midweek games from Maryland to Eugene? 5 hour flight plus the time change is a workday to get back.

Tennis? Baseball? Softball?

Reactions: Dawgg and GloryDawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
That's true for the majority of the conference, and maybe you could make the schedule so the travel for football isn't bad. travel back on a sunday could be a film session.

What about basketball? Those midweek games from Maryland to Eugene? 5 hour flight plus the time change is a workday to get back.

Tennis? Baseball? Softball?
I don't think anyone will end up being happy.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
West coast schools have just screwed then selves again. No way their athletic departments survive this. And to me it will bring big 10 and acc down having to travel that far west s few times for all these sports. Recruiting will get harder for some because kids choose schools sometimes because of distance for families and weather and the state it's in. Some kids in California don't want to play in Pennsylvania or Michigan.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Some of y’all act like travel cross country for a game will be difficult for student athletes. That’s a 20th century problem. Between online classes, tutors, AI paper writers and no one actually caring about anything besides how much they get paid while on campus, the athletes will be fine**

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's a long way from Norman and Austin to Gainesville but that trip won't be every year. some of these conferences' teams are getting far away from each other. Ok if you have one or two but when you have five and six. They may not work out in the long run. The Big 12 has one team in West Virginia and another on the West Coast. That is just stupid. I guess Rutger's to Oregon or LA is just as bad. Every conference leaders except for the SEC and ACC living in the moment and have no rational thought. It's a mad grab because of what the SEC did.
Yea, I mean, it's hard to call adding Washington, Oregon, UCLA, and USC "panicking", but they do seem to have a logistical nightmare. It'd be easier if they had 7 (or 8) west coast teams and then 7 (or 8) midwest/east coast teams. Then you could at least do divisions and cut down on some of the crazy travel, particularly for non-revenue sports. Could make interdivision basketball games only on Saturdays to cut out the crazy Wednesday road trips.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I think the SEC is wise for staying out of this right now. I think the Big Ten is setting itself up for difficult times with the traveling and all expenses for sports that are not football or basketball they will endure with opponents all over the country.

Reactions: Dawgg and NTDawg

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
Now I wonder how the Stanford Band will Troll MSU in their performances…

First song…

Would be amazing to watch Bullly piss on the Stanford Tree.
dog peeing GIF

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The B1G will eventually take Stanford and Cal, and that's a good decision. Logistics wise, who cares. That's the teams they always played anyhow, it was always a plane ride.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The B1G will eventually take Stanford and Cal, and that's a good decision. Logistics wise, who cares. That's the teams they always played anyhow, it was always a plane ride.

Yes & No.

Cal goes for state schools (rotating other P5 conference teams usually going back and forth between Big12 and B1G - they've played a bunch of them).

Stanford, on the other hand, goes for high academic schools (Northwestern - the only B1G school they've played in the regular season in the 21st century, Wake Forest, Duke), local G5s (San Jose State and Fresno State), and Notre Dame.

Cal would jump at the chance for the B1G given their huge debt.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yes & No.

Cal goes for state schools (rotating other P5 conference teams usually going back and forth between Big12 and B1G - they've played a bunch of them).

Stanford, on the other hand, goes for high academic schools (Northwestern - the only B1G school they've played in the regular season in the 21st century, Wake Forest, Duke), local G5s (San Jose State and Fresno State), and Notre Dame.

Cal would jump at the chance for the B1G given their huge debt.

If I'm the ACC, once all the dust settles, I go the academic route.

I'm assuming here that Clemson, Florida State and 2 of the NC/VA schools go SEC. Let's say that is NC State and Virginia Tech. Virginia and UNC stay in the ACC, along with Wake Forest and Duke. I go and get Rice and Tulane. Notre Dame's influence is waning, I guarantee you eventually they end up in the ACC. You still have Miami and Georgia Tech. I don't know much about Louisville, Pitt, Cuse and BC, but I guess you can overlook them.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I'm assuming here that Clemson, Florida State and 2 of the NC/VA schools go SEC.

Maybe.

Clemson is in an odd situation being an athletics school with academic pretensions-- and they might just be justified in them.

I would not be surprised to see them be an AAU member in 15 years.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Maybe.

Clemson is in an odd situation being an athletics school with academic pretensions-- and they might just be justified in them.

I would not be surprised to see them be an AAU member in 15 years.
I don't think it's a big limb to go out on to say that's what the SEC will do. I'll also say I see zero way Clemson goes to the B1G. Bo Bounds keeps saying Notre Dame and Miami will go to the B1G, I don't see that either. I don't see expansion beyond 20 teams, it becomes impossible to really be a 'conference'.

Four conferences of 16-20 teams, I'll go on record saying I think that's where it stabilizes. The B1G is shooting their shot now with the West Coast because they know they won't get the schools down south.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I don't think it's a big limb to go out on to say that's what the SEC will do.
True.

I’m just saying that Clemson may be more academically and ACC oriented than folks might think.

Don’t be surprised if they stay if the ACC maintains viability.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
True.

I’m just saying that Clemson may be more academically and ACC oriented than folks might think.

Don’t be surprised if they stay if the ACC maintains viability.
Oh I agree with this, I thought you meant Clemson was headed B1G. I guess I was coming from the assumption that at least 3-4 of those ACC teams were gonna get raided. Maybe it's just the FSU complaining that is swaying my mind.

But at the end of the day, I don't think there is any way that Clemson academics wins over Clemson football. They are Alabama-level obsessed with football culture up there and in many ways, their academic pursuits are a result of the notoriety gained from football success. That 1981 national title changed everything for them.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't think it's a big limb to go out on to say that's what the SEC will do. I'll also say I see zero way Clemson goes to the B1G. Bo Bounds keeps saying Notre Dame and Miami will go to the B1G, I don't see that either. I don't see expansion beyond 20 teams, it becomes impossible to really be a 'conference'.

Four conferences of 16-20 teams, I'll go on record saying I think that's where it stabilizes. The B1G is shooting their shot now with the West Coast because they know they won't get the schools down south.
Bo Bounds is an idiot from what I've seen posted on here that he said. Notre Dame isn't going anywhere. Period.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login