Thamel saying the ACC…

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah you've never been known for doing that or anything.

Haha, yeah OKAY buddy
It's best to keep your mouth closed and only be thought of as a jealous, whiny little beotch than to open it and remove all doubt.

Write that down.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Saw on Twitter that 4 of the 'no' votes in the ACC for Cal/Stanford were:
FSU
Clemson
Virginia
UNC

Could be random speculation, but interesting that these are the 4 we keep bringing up as the next SEC targets.
The four “no” votes now have now been identified as FSU, Clemson, UNC, and NC State.

In all honesty, I think there are probably more no’s in the ACC, but they’re okay with hiding behind these four.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The four “no” votes now have now been identified as FSU, Clemson, UNC, and NC State.

In all honesty, I think there are probably more no’s in the ACC, but they’re okay with hiding behind these four.
Those will be the 4 that go to the SEC, 10 years from now or whenever.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
So I think we can put a fork in anybody leaving the ACC this year. Today was the deadline for schools to notify the league that they intend to leave for the 2024 season and no schools have done so or even scheduled a board meeting to get final approval to do so.

patdog

May 28, 2007
So I think we can put a fork in anybody leaving the ACC this year. Today was the deadline for schools to notify the league that they intend to leave for the 2024 season and no schools have done so or even scheduled a board meeting to get final approval to do so.
It's over until next year, when the exact same scenario plays out again. FSU blusters about the unfairness of the deal they agreed to and signed and threatens to leave. Everyone speculates about how this time they're going to be able to do it, until next August 15 rolls around and nothing happens.

Reactions: Dawgg

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
It's over until next year, when the exact same scenario plays out again. FSU blusters about the unfairness of the deal they agreed to and signed and threatens to leave. Everyone speculates about how this time they're going to be able to do it, until next August 15 rolls around and nothing happens.
It doesn't matter what FSU does. They have nowhere to go.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
HA! Right! Notre Dame's current contract with NBC is about $22 Million per year for football only (on top of the $11 Million they get from the ACC) and it runs through the 2024 season. They are currently targeting triple that number in the next deal. I don't know if they're going to get it, but I can just about guarantee they're going to get more than the ACC's current contract and for a shorter time frame.

ETA: I forgot about Notre Dame's special bowl provision deals. Notre Dame is eligible for any ACC contracted bowl except the Orange Bowl, which they can still technically play in as a non-ACC member. When Notre Dame plays in an ACC contracted bowl, they do the ACC revenue share, but if they get chosen as an at-large for, say, the Cotton Bowl, they get to keep all of that money.

ETAA: Yes, I know the bowl system will change in 2 years. It's still been a pretty sweet setup for them.

I don’t really know how “sweet” that is. They are actually only getting $26 million total from NBC and their ACC tie-in. Seems like they are currently getting the same crap deal as the other ACC football schools and most Big 12 schools are, while schools like Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, and Maryland are pulling in $60-$70 million apiece. And they are locked into that crappy deal for 2 more years, too. For by far the #1 brand in all of collegiate athletics, that’s pretty terrible. Whoever negotiated that on behalf of ND wasn’t quite as idiotic as the collective ACC AD’s and Presidents who signed off on the 20 year grant of rights, but they weren’t too far off.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don’t really know how “sweet” that is. They are actually only getting $26 million total from NBC and their ACC tie-in. Seems like they are currently getting the same crap deal as the other ACC football schools and most Big 12 schools are, while schools like Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, and Maryland are pulling in $60-$70 million apiece. And they are locked into that crappy deal for 2 more years, too. For by far the #1 brand in all of collegiate athletics, that’s pretty terrible. Whoever negotiated that on behalf of ND wasn’t quite as idiotic as the collective ACC AD’s and Presidents who signed off on the 20 year grant of rights, but they weren’t too far off.
Notre Dames current contract is 10 years old & expires next year. They’ll be getting $60-75M for their home football games plus another $10-15M or so for road games plus basketball.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
You're looking at it through a 2023 lens. When that contract was signed in 2013, it was as good or better than the SEC's per team payout. See a contemporary article here (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/01/16/sec-conference-money-increases/1836389/). The SEC and Big Ten started pulling away from the field after that. Now, ND's contract is up at the end of the 2024 football season and they're very likely going to pull in more than any single team in the Big Ten or the SEC. It's hard to compare their deal vs the ACC's.

And please understand where I used the word 'sweet'. I was referencing their bowl agreement with the ACC. They get to leapfrog ACC teams and get their contracted bowl spots and share in their bowl payouts without having to actually be a full member of the ACC. Plus, if they get picked as an at-large for a NY6, they get to keep the entire bowl payout for themselves without sharing. That sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It doesn't matter what FSU does. They have nowhere to go.
Ha! If FSU was free and clear, the SEC would (rightfully) be all over them. SEC just talking high and mighty right now because they know there's no reason not to - ACC is in concrete at the moment.

This whole 'need a new state' crap is nonsense. We took Texas, even though we had Texas A&M. Why? Because their brand is great and they brings eyeballs beyond just the state of TX. Same thing can be said about Florida State and FL. It's about quality too. Quantity of 'state' eyeballs is 2010 thinking. Quality is exponential. Those potential matchups with FSU would be off the charts. The size of the states is just secondary, although it obviously helps that TX and FL are huge.

Same with Clemson. State is much smaller but that name cache makes them an obvious take. The biggest question is over the final 2 to get to 20. Me personally I take UNC and NC State and be done with it. Hell with the VA schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Ha! If FSU was free and clear, the SEC would (rightfully) be all over them. SEC just talking high and mighty right now because they know there's no reason not to - ACC is in concrete right now.

This whole 'need a new state' crap is nonsense. We took Texas, even though we had Texas A&M. Why? Because their brand is great and they brings eyeballs beyond just the state of TX. Same thing can be said about Florida State and FL. It's about quality too. Quantity of 'state' eyeballs is 2010 thinking. Quality is exponential. Those potential matchups with FSU would be off the charts. The size of the states is just secondary, although it obviously helps that TX and FL are huge.

Same with Clemson. State is much smaller but that name cache makes them an obvious take. The biggest question is over the final 2 to get to 20. Me personally I take UNC and NC State and be done with it. Hell with the VA schools.
"Need a new state" made a lot of sense 12 years ago when we added A&M and Missouri. Now, it means little. What matters now is what ratings will a school draw. And FSU will draw ratings. SEC isn't interested now, but I bet they will be when FSU comes on the market.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It's blended and you need to know what the dollars for the monthly customer TV subscriptions are. It's not views it's how many subscribers. They don't even have to watch it. They pay for it anyway. Which is why I told people during the pandemic we could play zero games and still get our sec ESPN check. Because ESPN would still be getting paid monthly by subscribers.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
You're looking at it through a 2023 lens. When that contract was signed in 2013, it was as good or better than the SEC's per team payout. See a contemporary article here (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/01/16/sec-conference-money-increases/1836389/). The SEC and Big Ten started pulling away from the field after that. Now, ND's contract is up at the end of the 2024 football season and they're very likely going to pull in more than any single team in the Big Ten or the SEC. It's hard to compare their deal vs the ACC's.

And please understand where I used the word 'sweet'. I was referencing their bowl agreement with the ACC. They get to leapfrog ACC teams and get their contracted bowl spots and share in their bowl payouts without having to actually be a full member of the ACC. Plus, if they get picked as an at-large for a NY6, they get to keep the entire bowl payout for themselves without sharing. That sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.
Notre Dames current contract is 10 years old & expires next year. They’ll be getting $60-75M for their home football games plus another $10-15M or so for road games plus basketball.

I’m not looking at it through a 2023 lens. Again, Notre Dame’s TV payout is less than half of what f-ing Rutgers makes, and its been that way for the better part of a decade. That’s embarrassing for whoever negotiated that deal on ND’s behalf, I don’t see how you can reach any other conclusion. SEC and B1G were easily able to work in annual payout escalations every year. It was an astronomical oversight on ND’s behalf to not include that with NBC.

And also, they still have 2 years left of that….2023 and 2024. Will they get $65-$70 million per year starting in 2025? Probably. But if they don’t get annual payout increases again, they’ll be in the same boat again after 3-4 years.

The bowl payouts pale in comparison to the annual TV deals. Its a nice arrangement they have worked out, but its nothing they wouldn’t have gotten regardless considering that every bowl game is going to beg for ND to be in their matchup every year.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I’m not looking at it through a 2023 lens. Again, Notre Dame’s TV payout is less than half of what Rutgers makes, and its been that way for the better part of a decade. That’s embarrassing for whoever negotiated that deal on ND’s behalf, I don’t see how you can reach any other conclusion. SEC and B1G were easily able to work in annual payout escalations every year. It was an astronomical oversight on ND’s behalf to not include that with NBC.

And also, they still have 2 years left of that….2023 and 2024. Will they get $65-$70 million per year starting in 2025? Probably. But if they don’t get annual payout increases again, they’ll be in the same boat again after 3-4 years.

The bowl payouts pale in comparison to the annual TV deals. Its a nice arrangement they have worked out, but its nothing they wouldn’t have gotten regardless considering that every bowl game is going to beg for ND to be in their matchup every year.
Wow... you mean... the school selling broadcasts rights to (checks notes) 7 home football games didn't have the leverage of the two most powerful leagues in college football selling the home football games to 14 to 16 teams apiece along with home men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, softball, track & field, gymnastics, etc? I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED I TELL YOU!

Sure, you could make the argument that Notre Dame is a larger college football brand than any single team in the Big Ten or SEC (which, honestly, is pretty debatable at this point), but it's a fraction of the value of the SEC and the Big Ten as a whole.

I'm not really sure what your point is other than being contrarian. If you go back and look at the thread, we were talking about whether ND would join the ACC in football, which I found laughable and I still do. Not as laughable as Arizona State joining the SEC, but still pretty 17ing laughable. You can make the argument that ND has been undervalued for the past 10 years, but their payday is coming a lot more quickly than the ACC's.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Ha! If FSU was free and clear, the SEC would (rightfully) be all over them. SEC just talking high and mighty right now because they know there's no reason not to - ACC is in concrete at the moment.

Florida State brings nothing to the SEC. You're really comparing FSU to Texas? They'll never be in the SEC and you can write that down.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Florida State brings nothing to the SEC. You're really comparing FSU to Texas? They'll never be in the SEC and you can write that down.
They were the 15th most watched program last year, ahead of A&M, Auburn, Oklahoma & UCLA, while playing a crappy ACC schedule. When the time comes, they’ll bring value.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Wow... you mean... the school selling broadcasts rights to (checks notes) 7 home football games didn't have the leverage of the two most powerful leagues in college football selling the home football games to 14 to 16 teams apiece along with home men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, softball, track & field, gymnastics, etc? I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED I TELL YOU!

Sure, you could make the argument that Notre Dame is a larger college football brand than any single team in the Big Ten or SEC (which, honestly, is pretty debatable at this point), but it's a fraction of the value of the SEC and the Big Ten as a whole.

I'm not really sure what your point is other than being contrarian. If you go back and look at the thread, we were talking about whether ND would join the ACC in football, which I found laughable and I still do. Not as laughable as Arizona State joining the SEC, but still pretty 17ing laughable. You can make the argument that ND has been undervalued for the past 10 years, but their payday is coming a lot more quickly than the ACC's.

I don’t think their brand is more valuable than the SEC as a whole. Nobody said they deserved to get almost a billion per year which is what the SEC and ESPN are dividing up. But they are certainly worth more than 90% of the individual SEC teams at a minimum (who all also only each have rights to 7 home games), and probably 95% of the B1G teams at a minimum. And they aren’t even getting paid half of what any of those other teams are getting now (including their ACC check for all other sports), even though they started off with the same payout.

You yourself said their next deal might triple their payout. How could that possibly be true unless they were getting paid an absolutely comical amount under their current value at present time? Are you saying 7 ND home football games are currently only worth $20 million, but that amount is expected to possibly triple just in the next 2 years?

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login