Thamel saying the ACC…

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Bo Bounds is an idiot from what I've seen posted on here that he said. Notre Dame isn't going anywhere. Period.
You'll get a kick out of this patdog. He also said yesterday that the ACC would be dissolved within 3 years. And that we were headed for an NFL model like what @615dawg was saying yesterday.

I think both ideas are ludicrous. Reality does creep in at some point. I think we'll see the 20-team superconference with their own small playoff before an NFL model. But that's years away too. The 12-teamer tells you that the conferences are pretty committed to it being a 'national' sport for all the conferences.

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
You'll get a kick out of this patdog. He also said yesterday that the ACC would be dissolved within 3 years. And that we were headed for an NFL model like what @615dawg was saying yesterday.

I think both ideas are ludicrous. Reality does creep in at some point.
I am still skeptical about a NFL type model, but I do think the ACC dissolving earlier than 2035 (or whenever their current contract) expires is best for MSU.

Reactions: Dawgg

patdog

May 28, 2007

I think both ideas are ludicrous. Reality does creep in at some point. I think we'll see the 20-team superconference with their own small playoff before an NFL model. But that's years away too. The 12-teamer tells you that the conferences are pretty committed to it being a 'national' sport for all the conferences.
He, and a lot of other people, have these fantasies of what they want to happen. But what's gonna happen is pretty much exactly what you've said. 2 elite conferences of about 20 teams each (SEC & Big 10 obviously), 2 2nd tier conferences of about 20 teams each (Big 12 and remaining ACC schools plus who they add), then a group of 3rd tier conferences (MWC, AAC, Sunbelt, etc). Playoffs will continue with 12 teams (maybe expanding to 16 at some point), probably with 5 automatic bids for conference champions and 7-11 at large teams (most of which will be SEC/Big 10 teams). I don't see the SEC and Big 10 fully breaking away, simply because they don't need to and it's easier for basketball and other sports not to.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Bo Bounds is an idiot from what I've seen posted on here that he said. Notre Dame isn't going anywhere. Period.
I'm kind of chuckling at the thought of Notre Dame looking over at the ACC and its upper tier with lawyers scouring the grant of rights and trying for years to figure out how to get out of its contract and saying "hey... this being able to autonomously and independently negotiate our own media deals for football is overrated... I want to get locked in to one of the lowest Power conference media payouts for the next 13 years."

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I'm kind of chuckling at the thought of Notre Dame looking over at the ACC and its upper tier with lawyers scouring the grant of rights and trying for years to figure out how to get out of its contract and saying "hey... this being able to autonomously and independently negotiate our own media deals for football is overrated... I want to get locked in to one of the lowest Power conference media payouts for the next 13 years."
As BYU was to the West Coast Conference, Notre Dame is to the ACC.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm kind of chuckling at the thought of Notre Dame looking over at the ACC and its upper tier with lawyers scouring the grant of rights and trying for years to figure out how to get out of its contract and saying "hey... this being able to autonomously and independently negotiate our own media deals for football is overrated AND KEEP ALL THE MONEY FOR OURSELVES... I want to get locked in to one of the lowest Power conference media payouts for the next 13 years."
Added one very important qualification to your comment.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Added one very important qualification to your comment.
HA! Right! Notre Dame's current contract with NBC is about $22 Million per year for football only (on top of the $11 Million they get from the ACC) and it runs through the 2024 season. They are currently targeting triple that number in the next deal. I don't know if they're going to get it, but I can just about guarantee they're going to get more than the ACC's current contract and for a shorter time frame.

ETA: I forgot about Notre Dame's special bowl provision deals. Notre Dame is eligible for any ACC contracted bowl except the Orange Bowl, which they can still technically play in as a non-ACC member. When Notre Dame plays in an ACC contracted bowl, they do the ACC revenue share, but if they get chosen as an at-large for, say, the Cotton Bowl, they get to keep all of that money.

ETAA: Yes, I know the bowl system will change in 2 years. It's still been a pretty sweet setup for them.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
HA! Right! Notre Dame's current contract with NBC is about $22 Million per year for football only (on top of the $11 Million they get from the ACC) and it runs through the 2024 season. They are currently targeting triple that number in the next deal. I don't know if they're going to get it, but I can just about guarantee they're going to get more than the ACC's current contract and for a shorter time frame.
If SEC & Big 10 are getting about $70M for all their broadcast rights, I’m sure Notre Dame will at least triple their football contract.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
dog peeing GIF
Nickoe Whitley approves this post.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
I made a chart of what I believe the TV executives are going to be studying. Cost Per View is the metric that hurts us. Top 10 plus Oregon, us, Ole Miss, USM. Notre Dame can absolutely ask for more. See what Oregon was making per view and see why they wanted out.

1691521823146.png

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I made a chart of what I believe the TV executives are going to be studying. Cost Per View is the metric that hurts us. Top 10 plus Oregon, us, Ole Miss, USM. Notre Dame can absolutely ask for more. See what Oregon was making per view and see why they wanted out.

View attachment 380830
Look at numbers over a Decade and not one off year.

Here are our 2014 numbers

That cannot be a"all they are looking at" as Washington is only slightly ahead of our Views and were taken by the Big 10

https://medium.com/m/signin?operation=register&redirect=https://medium.com/new-story&source=---two_column_layout_nav-----------------------new_post_topnav-----------

Ranking the most-watched college football programs in 2022​

The numbers next to each school indicate the average number of viewers per week for a 12-week season.
Streaming numbers are included when available. Games that do not have available data are counted as zero.
  1. Ohio State — 5.80M
  2. Alabama — 5.11M
  3. Michigan — 4.37M
  4. Tennessee — 4.13M
  5. Georgia — 3.50M
  6. Notre Dame — 3.30M
  7. LSU — 3.22M
  8. Texas — 3.06M
  9. Penn State — 3.05M
  10. Clemson — 2.59M
  11. Florida — 2.57M
  12. Oregon — 2.21M
  13. TCU — 2.20M
  14. Southern Cal — 2.07M
  15. Florida State — 2.03M
  16. Nebraska — 1.98M
  17. Michigan State — 1.91M
  18. Texas A&M — 1.87M
  19. Maryland — 1.864M
  20. Auburn — 1.863M
  21. Arkansas — 1.80M
  22. Mississippi — 1.753M
  23. Oklahoma — 1.748M
  24. Oklahoma State — 1.68M
  25. UCLA — 1.591M
  26. Wisconsin — 1.587M
  27. Iowa — 1.50M
  28. Kentucky — 1.35M
  29. Baylor — 1.32M
  30. Kansas State — 1.23M
  31. Indiana — 1.19M
  32. Illinois — 1.17M
  33. Utah — 1.16M
  34. Washington — 1.15M
  35. Northwestern — 1.13M
  36. Mississippi State — 1.10M

Average that over a decade,

Sorry the formatting sucks

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The B1G will eventually take Stanford and Cal, and that's a good decision. Logistics wise, who cares. That's the teams they always played anyhow, it was always a plane ride.
Yes it's just a plane ride for football. Many teams don't fly commercial. For a weekend match. Sometimes starting on Thursday fly Wednesday then back home on Sunday or Monday then possibly again a couple days later. No time to really practice between. Forget classes.

All of this only surrounds the thought of football and it's stupid. These schools have a **** ton of student athletes in other sports. This will turn out to be a title 9 nightmare. Because then money they make from football won't be able to pay for all the other teams. Plus kids are mad that now they have to play all the way across the country from the school they picked multiple times a season. And their parents cant travel to watch. Boosters aren't gonna pay for a kids parents to travel for s tennis match or a track meet or equestrian event. All of this is so short sighted about anything but football teams that have only 5-6 roads games and fly commercial. They basically said 17 you to all other student athletes

Last edited:

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Sankey’s comments yesterday pretty much spell out that he’s not interested in adding Clemson or FSU to the SEC.

Also it is leaking that the ACC is entertaining SMU’s offer of taking no TV money for a few years if added. Sounds like a huge financial burden; but to leave the AAC, it’s only $10mil. The AAC TV deal pays $7mil/year. So if they agree to a three year deal with no TV money, it will cost SMU an estimated $31mil. If I were Tulane or Memphis, I’d be offering to come with SMU on the same terms. Memphis would have to beg Fred Smith to front it, but he could do it.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

patdog

May 28, 2007
Sankey’s comments yesterday pretty much spell out that he’s not interested in adding Clemson or FSU to the SEC.

Also it is leaking that the ACC is entertaining SMU’s offer of taking no TV money for a few years if added. Sounds like a huge financial burden; but to leave the AAC, it’s only $10mil. The AAC TV deal pays $7mil/year. So if they agree to a three year deal with no TV money, it will cost SMU an estimated $31mil. If I were Tulane or Memphis, I’d be offering to come with SMU on the same terms. Memphis would have to beg Fred Smith to front it, but he could do it.
SEC not interested in adding Clemson or Florida State FOR NOW. You can bet in about 7-10 years when the grant of rights doesn't have many more years left on it, the SEC will be VERY interested in those two plus UNC and Virginia.

Crazy these schools giving all the concessions just to get in a bigger conference. Especially to join the ACC. SMU would barely recoup their investment before the ACC gets demoted to Big 12 status (which I guess is still better than where SMU is now). It'll be interesting to see how the ACC renegotiates its TV deals if/when it adds these schools.

Reactions: ChE1997

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

Unless someone figures out how to get out of the Grant of Rights in the ACC contract, or the conference dissolves ( which will take more schools than there are places in the SEC and big 10), adding any ACC team is moot.

I'm certain Sankey and the SEC would take Clemson, FSU, UVA, and UNC At least if it were possible.

Reactions: patdog

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Is having meetings to vet adding Cal and Stanford. This is a mad dash to not be without a seat in a very expensive game of musical chairs. With my school tucked safely away in the rich, safe, gated neighborhood (right now) I got to tell you this is high level entertainment.
Don't be surprised if the ACC ends up with Tulane and SMU when it's all said and done. When it happens, remember who told you this first

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
If I was the ACC, I’d be working on WVU and Cincinnati/UCF/Memphis instead. Can guarantee stability, similar media money, regional rivalries, and less travel costs.
The ACC isn't interested in any of those. Their focus, based on what I've been told, is going to be on schools with high academic standards. They see this as a pathway to being different from the others.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Latest today is that Notre Dame (which does have an ACC vote on expansion) was really pushing for Cal and Stanford to be added to the ACC, but there were at least 5 members that were a firm 'no', so much so that there was no point in voting. I haven't seen anything on who the 5 were. The ACC requires a 3/4 vote (12 members) to admit new members.

The other story is that SMU is so desperate to get an ACC invitation that they'll forego the ACC payout for 5-7 years. While that sounds ridiculous, remember that their American payout is only about $7-8 Million per year, so 1 year in the ACC would be worth about 5 in the American and, assuming the ACC remains together through the Grant of Rights, they'd still have another 5 years or so in the conference making more media money than they ever have. I feel like they probably have enough rich alumni to supplement the lost payout for that long. Still, I don't think that's going anywhere.

On the other side of the map, the Mountain West announced they're open to expansion, but their commissioner wanted to wait and see what the ACC planned to do with Cal & Stanford. If the ACC had picked up Cal & Stanford, I think the MWC could have worked out a deal with WSU and OSU where the MWC effectively dissolved and regrouped under the Pac brand name, which I personally believe still has value. I think Cal & Stanford would let the Pac die and take whatever assets are left over rather than be in a conference where they're the only AAU school, so I think that leaves the most likely option as WSU and OSU joining the MWC.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Don't be surprised if the ACC ends up with Tulane and SMU when it's all said and done. When it happens, remember who told you this first
The ACC isn't interested in any of those. Their focus, based on what I've been told, is going to be on schools with high academic standards. They see this as a pathway to being different from the others.
Yeah, remember it. That was me, clown. Are you sure I'm not your source, EL OH EL....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Latest today is that Notre Dame (which does have an ACC vote on expansion) was really pushing for Cal and Stanford to be added to the ACC, but there were at least 5 members that were a firm 'no', so much so that there was no point in voting. I haven't seen anything on who the 5 were. The ACC requires a 3/4 vote (12 members) to admit new members.

The other story is that SMU is so desperate to get an ACC invitation that they'll forego the ACC payout for 5-7 years. While that sounds ridiculous, remember that their American payout is only about $7-8 Million per year, so 1 year in the ACC would be worth about 5 in the American and, assuming the ACC remains together through the Grant of Rights, they'd still have another 5 years or so in the conference making more media money than they ever have. I feel like they probably have enough rich alumni to supplement the lost payout for that long. Still, I don't think that's going anywhere.

On the other side of the map, the Mountain West announced they're open to expansion, but their commissioner wanted to wait and see what the ACC planned to do with Cal & Stanford. If the ACC had picked up Cal & Stanford, I think the MWC could have worked out a deal with WSU and OSU where the MWC effectively dissolved and regrouped under the Pac brand name, which I personally believe still has value. I think Cal & Stanford would let the Pac die and take whatever assets are left over rather than be in a conference where they're the only AAU school, so I think that leaves the most likely option as WSU and OSU joining the MWC.
I think the ACC has accepted their fate. They know they are likely losing 4 teams. If I were them, I'd just hang back for a minute. I think they will eventually have Notre Dame by the balls. I think I would definitely take SMU, along with Tulane and Rice. Have to be ready. I also think they'll be more attractive to Cincinnati, West Virginia and UCF if they choose to go that route. UConn is there too.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think the ACC has accepted their fate. They know they are likely losing 4 teams. If I were them, I'd just hang back for a minute. I think they will eventually have Notre Dame by the balls. I think I would definitely take SMU, along with Tulane and Rice. Have to be ready. I also think they'll be more attractive to Cincinnati, West Virginia and UCF if they choose to go that route. UConn is there too.
ACC not losing anyone for several years. Ultimately, yes, they'll lose 4 teams. Possibly 6 in a worst case. But it'd be stupid to try to replace them so long before they leave.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, remember it. That was me, clown. Are you sure I'm not your source, EL OH EL....
I missed where you said Tulane and SMU were candidates.

If you predict anything accurately, it's just dumb luck. The good thing is that everyone here knows this already.

• Haha

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
ACC not losing anyone for several years. Ultimately, yes, they'll lose 4 teams. Possibly 6 in a worst case. But it'd be stupid to try to replace them so long before they leave.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Eventually. So they've got time to think about this and get out in front.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think any leverage ACC would have on Notre Dame is going to be precipitated on ND's next media contract for football. ND is making $22 Million per year from NBC and is seeking something like $70 million per year for their next football rights contract. If they get, say, $50 Million, then they'll have no incentive to join any league for the foreseeable future. If that number is closer to the ACC/Big 12 $30 Million/year range, then Notre Dame may be looking at paying some sort of exit fee to get into the Big Ten. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but I'm not seeing where the ACC would have a lot of leverage over ND even in that scenario.

I think if you had some combo of FSU, UNC, NC State, Clemson, Miami, Virgnia, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech leave the ACC, then all the teams you listed could conceivably be good backfill options, though I'm not sure the Big 12 teams would be a slam dunk to move. I think it more than likely ends up being the same ACC-AAC-CUSA dance it's been for the past 20 years:
ACC eats Big East/AAC
Big East/AAC eats Conference USA
Conference USA eats Independents or FCS

I feel like Sun Belt, MAC, and MWC/Pac are safe from ACC expansion.

Aug 15, 2011
Look at numbers over a Decade and not one off year.

Here are our 2014 numbers

That cannot be a"all they are looking at" as Washington is only slightly ahead of our Views and were taken by the Big 10

https://medium.com/m/signin?operation=register&redirect=https://medium.com/new-story&source=---two_column_layout_nav-----------------------new_post_topnav-----------

Ranking the most-watched college football programs in 2022​

The numbers next to each school indicate the average number of viewers per week for a 12-week season.
Streaming numbers are included when available. Games that do not have available data are counted as zero.
  1. Ohio State — 5.80M
  2. Alabama — 5.11M
  3. Michigan — 4.37M
  4. Tennessee — 4.13M
  5. Georgia — 3.50M
  6. Notre Dame — 3.30M
  7. LSU — 3.22M
  8. Texas — 3.06M
  9. Penn State — 3.05M
  10. Clemson — 2.59M
  11. Florida — 2.57M
  12. Oregon — 2.21M
  13. TCU — 2.20M
  14. Southern Cal — 2.07M
  15. Florida State — 2.03M
  16. Nebraska — 1.98M
  17. Michigan State — 1.91M
  18. Texas A&M — 1.87M
  19. Maryland — 1.864M
  20. Auburn — 1.863M
  21. Arkansas — 1.80M
  22. Mississippi — 1.753M
  23. Oklahoma — 1.748M
  24. Oklahoma State — 1.68M
  25. UCLA — 1.591M
  26. Wisconsin — 1.587M
  27. Iowa — 1.50M
  28. Kentucky — 1.35M
  29. Baylor — 1.32M
  30. Kansas State — 1.23M
  31. Indiana — 1.19M
  32. Illinois — 1.17M
  33. Utah — 1.16M
  34. Washington — 1.15M
  35. Northwestern — 1.13M
  36. Mississippi State — 1.10M

Average that over a decade,

Sorry the formatting sucks
This is where Ole Miss's marketing pays off. They've been able to infiltrate the media and get into the Top 25 just about every year while we start out unranked. People are naturally going to rather watch Top 25 teams and matchups. Last year, they were able to garner a Top 10 ranking beating weak teams which boosted their tv viewership. By the time we get ranked, it's late in the season and those early games end up hurting us in the view count.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
ACC is a basketball conference. They love the term "coast-to-coast". They're about to make it happen. But it's not a slam dunk. Traveling will be a problem. Especially if there are turnovers with the current conference teams. There are no layups in expansion anymore.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, that's what I meant. Eventually. So they've got time to think about this and get out in front.
The ACC is not going to lose anyone. Ultimately, their two biggest chips (Clemson and SC) will only leave for the SEC and the SEC doesn't want them. What they've essentially done is expose their necks. There's basically a group of 4 ACC teams who are threatening to go out on their own (Clemson, FSU, VA, Carolina). The reality is they don't have the options they think they have. So this is really a power move on their part to get more out of the ACC to stick around. The ACC is countering by threatening expansion and focusing on high ceiling programs in metro areas, like Tulane or SMU for example. Despite the posturing, the ACC will likely not take Cal/Stanford because it doesn't make sense at all geographically.

It's interesting to watch, and there are lots of moving parts. But I fully expect the ACC to expand, not lose members when this is all over with. And the SEC is telling folks publicly and privately that while they reserve the right to be opportunistic when they need to be, they have no interest in expanding beyond 16 teams for the foreseeable future.

And no, my source is not Goat.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Saw on Twitter that 4 of the 'no' votes in the ACC for Cal/Stanford were:
FSU
Clemson
Virginia
UNC

Could be random speculation, but interesting that these are the 4 we keep bringing up as the next SEC targets.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Saw on Twitter that 4 of the 'no' votes in the ACC for Cal/Stanford were:
FSU
Clemson
Virginia
UNC

Could be random speculation, but interesting that these are the 4 we keep bringing up as the next SEC targets.
That's the 4 I would expect. If they're stuck in the ACC and not happy with their revenue share, why would they vote to add teams that won't add more revenue than they're currently receiving. Also gives them some leverage to get concessions from the ACC, but I think the ACC did the smart thing and just shut down the expansion talk.

Reactions: ChE1997 and Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The ACC is not going to lose anyone. Ultimately, their two biggest chips (Clemson and SC) will only leave for the SEC and the SEC doesn't want them. What they've essentially done is expose their necks. There's basically a group of 4 ACC teams who are threatening to go out on their own (Clemson, FSU, VA, Carolina). The reality is they don't have the options they think they have. So this is really a power move on their part to get more out of the ACC to stick around. The ACC is countering by threatening expansion and focusing on high ceiling programs in metro areas, like Tulane or SMU for example. Despite the posturing, the ACC will likely not take Cal/Stanford because it doesn't make sense at all geographically.

It's interesting to watch, and there are lots of moving parts. But I fully expect the ACC to expand, not lose members when this is all over with. And the SEC is telling folks publicly and privately that while they reserve the right to be opportunistic when they need to be, they have no interest in expanding beyond 16 teams for the foreseeable future.

Duh? Anybody with sense knows the ACC isn't doing anything for about a decade.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

When say 'when this is all over with', are you talking about when the Pac-4 find their landing spot(s) and we're set for the next 2-3 seasons or are you talking about in 2036 when the ACC Grant of Rights expires?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
That's the 4 I would expect. If they're stuck in the ACC and not happy with their revenue share, why would they vote to add teams that won't add more revenue than they're currently receiving. Also gives them some leverage to get concessions from the ACC, but I think the ACC did the smart thing and just shut down the expansion talk.
The other thing floating out there was that Florida State's President told Notre Dame's President that they would vote for Cal and Stanford if Notre Dame joins too.

• Haha

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

The SEC "doesn't want" an ACC team now because it's a moot point.

If the Grant of rights was breakable, the SEC would add FSU, Clemson, UVA, UNC. tomorrow.

But the ACC has to dissolve, and that takes more teams wanting to leave than there are seats.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
When say 'when this is all over with', are you talking about when the Pac-4 find their landing spot(s) and we're set for the next 2-3 seasons or are you talking about in 2036 when the ACC Grant of Rights expires?
"When it's all over with" meaning this current season of conference realignment. Obviously the landscape is going to always be evolving.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The SEC "doesn't want" an ACC team now because it's a moot point.

If the Grant of rights was breakable, the SEC would add FSU, Clemson, UVA, UNC. tomorrow.

But the ACC has to dissolve, and that takes more teams wanting to leave than there are seats.
No they won't because they don't want them. I'm not pulling this out of my ***. The SEC has no interest in expanding right now. Future moves might make them feel like they want to,, but of those four teams, the SEC is absolutely not interested in three of them. There might be some intrigue with UNC, but the SEC honestly would prefer NC State to NC.

FSU and Clemson will never be in the SEC and you can write that down.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
No they won't because they don't want them. I'm not pulling this out of my ***. The SEC has no interest in expanding right now. Future moves might make them feel like they want to,, but of those four teams, the SEC is absolutely not interested in three of them. There might be some intrigue with UNC, but the SEC honestly would prefer NC State to NC.

I guess you have some inside information. It doesn't make sense.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I guess you have some inside information. It doesn't make sense.
I don't always have info but in this case I work with a guy who's on the board of trustees for one of these schools in the middle of this, so I feel pretty good about what he's telling me.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't always have info but in this case I work with a guy who's on the board of trustees for one of these schools in the middle of this, so I feel pretty good about what he's telling me.
Maybe. But FSU sure seems to think they can get an SEC invite.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm not pulling this out of my ***.
Yeah you've never been known for doing that or anything.

but of those four teams, the SEC is absolutely not interested in three of them. There might be some intrigue with UNC, but the SEC honestly would prefer NC State to NC.

Haha, yeah OKAY buddy

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Maybe. But FSU sure seems to think they can get an SEC invite.
That's part of the problem with FSU. What they think they are and what everyone else thinks they are are two very different things. FSU in particular has put themselves in a very tough spot.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login