That’s just awful

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
State Championship 8U game today in Starkville. Parents of one of kids took their child (family) to church, before game. They knew they were going to be late and knew his team was going to be short a player.

They were prepared to take that out every time he came to the plate.

Instead the association made them forfeit. What a terrible decision that was and will undoubtedly come back to bite the Dizzy Dean association and maybe even other team if they had protested.

Last edited:

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Maybe the parents didn't know the organizations rule on that or the tourney rules.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Just from some of the comments, teams were required to have 10 kids to play and they only had 9. But, they started the game then called it, which was incorrect. Sounds like a poorly run deal all the way around.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
On Father’s Day they scheduled a game near church time on a Sunday and then weren’t flexible when a family decided baseball should come at least second for their 8 year old. Brilliant.
These organizations/teams couldnt care less about family time. Some friends of ours have a daughter playing competitive softball and the coach told them at the beginning that they would play about 13 weekends from February to July. They were at 13 weekends by mid April and they’ve played just about every weekend since then.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It's a silly rule to make them forfeit if they have 8 or more players.... But ....

If you sign up for something like this you have to know you might have to miss church at times because there might be games are on Sundays, that part is on the parents. Don't sign your kids up if you are not able/willing to make things. Other kids made the game and had to forfeit. They all missed church and lost without getting on the field. The rule is stupid if it's an automatic forfeit with 8 or more players, but rules are rules. Exceptions are a very slippery slope.

My oldest is not playing football this year because... It's a 5 day a week commitment that we aren't willing to make. He's better than average and would help his team, but the season is during prime camping/fishing/hunting season and we (including the kid) aren't going to put that on the back burner. Some other kid that is more committed will take his position on the team and hopefully not let them down like we most assuredly would.

ETA... This isn't Timmy and Tommy's pay to play local travel ball deal here. Unless a lot has changed Dizzy Dean is local leagues that make all star teams after the season. This is not weekend after weekend of travel ball tournaments. I played in the DD World Series when I was 11 in Columbus GA. We had district, state, and the world series tournament weekends in June and possibly early July. Everything else was basically normal rec ball and I assume and sure as hell hope for coach pitch age kids that's still the way it is.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
OK, this sanctimonious crap has to stop. We have all seen this stupid Facebook post. I have numerous thoughts on this.

- @PooPopsBaldHead already hit on the commitment part, they all knew the rules;
- This avoiding of early Sunday games only halfway works at like 7U and 8U. Beyond that, you'll be playing on a lot of Sundays unless you get the byes and such, which can never be guaranteed, so get used to that.
- GUARANTEE you this dad who posted that, while he's getting his internet points today, will be skipping church all the time in the coming years. Also, the family who got their sanctimonious points for skipping yesterday, will also be skipping a lot more here pretty soon;
- These days, it's so bad that churches have accepted it - they actually make plans around people who say shlt like, "We are in the travel sports season of life, so blah blah blah blah muh scheduling";
- 8U baseball games, or any travel baseball games, don't matter to anyone except the people playing them. The only reason this dad made that post is because his team lost.

This whole thing is ridiculous. But I blame the fake-***, over competitive parents more than anyone. And I want to be clear - I value church, and I do think it should be a priority. But make your choices and STFU. Let me know when this family has refused to play travel sports on Sunday, or quit completely and went another route, 4-5 years from now. Again, it's easy to do that crap in 8U.

Jun 7, 2024
OK, this sanctimonious crap has to stop. We have all seen this stupid Facebook post. I have numerous thoughts on this.

- This avoiding of early Sunday games only halfway works at like 7U and 8U. Beyond that, you'll be playing on a lot of Sundays unless you get the byes and such, which can never be guaranteed, so get used to that.
- GUARANTEE you this dad who posted that, while he's getting his internet points today, will be skipping church all the time in the coming years. Also, the family who got their sanctimonious points for skipping yesterday, will also be skipping a lot more here pretty soon;
- These days, it's so bad that churches have accepted it - they actually make plans around people who say shlt like, "We are in the travel sports season of life, so blah blah blah blah muh scheduling";
- 8U baseball games, or any travel baseball games, don't matter to anyone except the people playing them. The only reason this dad made that post is because his team lost.

This whole thing is ridiculous. But I blame the fake-***, over competitive parents more than anyone. And I want to be clear - I value church, and I do think it should be a priority. But make your choices and STFU. Let me know when this family has refused to play travel sports on Sunday, or quit completely and went another route, 4-5 years from now. Again, it's easy to do that crap in 8U.
I agree 100%. They knew they would likely be playing ballgames on Sunday mornings. If church is the top priority, they had no business getting involved in the first place. They knew the team was going to be short a player but were fine being late anyway?

kired

Aug 22, 2008
With this being dizzy dean state championship, I assume it eventually feeds into the World Series?

I could see that being a major problem if this team won the state championship but violated a tournament rule - could likely be disqualified from competing in national tournaments

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
With this being dizzy dean state championship, I assume it eventually feeds into the World Series?

I could see that being a major problem if this team won the state championship but violated a tournament rule - could likely be disqualified from competing in national tournaments
Yep. Just looked it up. These coach pitch teams must field 10 players in tournaments, 6 infield and 4 outfield... Or it's a forfeit. Of course they are all stars selected from the local league and are allowed 18 players... How do you end up 9 players short? This is a coaching and parents deal no doubt...

1000013874.png

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I agree 100%. They knew they would likely be playing ballgames on Sunday mornings. If church is the top priority, they had no business getting involved in the first place. They knew the team was going to be short a player but were fine being late anyway?
No, no... We should not be responsible for our personal choices or take responsibility for our own actions when we can get on the socials mediums and blame everyone else.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Upon further research, I did see that this is Dizzy Dean, which is still comprised of mainly All-Star teams from Rec leagues, so it's POSSIBLE that the family truly values church and doesn't plan to play travel sports. But since it's 8U, it's probably someone who thinks that currently, but in a few years, will not follow through with their commitment. While travel ball is starting as early as 6U now, there are still a few holdouts until about 9U or 10U. Every now and again you see a holdout until 11U/12U but that's mainly due to other circumstances.

Not many tournaments do this anymore. It's pretty much a new tournament each weekend, which is one reason why the formats are bad. You aren't teaching the kids about a season long grind - it's all about that particular weekend. Very transactional. I mean in many tournaments you can lose the pool play games, get lucky in a bracket game, and then brag about being in 'the championship', of like single A and stuff. Happens every weekend, and that's fine, but I'm just trying to illustrate that it's about the parent's entertainment and the tournaments making money.

I do think the Dizzy Dean stuff is slightly different and little more idealistic. And it's easy to find this bracket, it doesn't seem like a typical travel ball tournament - it was a big double elimination deal rather than the stupid pool play and bracket. This game was at 11 am, in Starkville, where the team was from. You'd think the family could have went to early service or something? Many travel ball tournaments start at like 9 am.

Again, this is just a pissed off coach trying to use moral superiority to vent. Social media is one of the worst things to happen to many people.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Again, this is just a pissed off coach trying to use moral superiority to vent. Social media is one of the worst things to happen to many people.
Someone should ask where the rest of his players were... He's allowed 18 on the roster. Or did he keep the roster intentionally small to avoid having to play any lesser players?

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Regardless of the commitment. Regardless When it was known too.....a Christian should be allowed the same privileges as anyone else and play on a baseball team. However if he/she wants to miss Sunday activities....let the coach know ahead of time and then they can just face the consequences.

With that said, it sucks for the teams to forfeit. However I'm sure the parents that made the decision to go to church have no regrets. And they shouldn't. More blessings to them.

Fact of the matter .... and I'm preaching to myself ..... more parents need to standup and not play on Sundays.... and that will change things.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

I actually know the guy who made the post thru a friend. the guarantee you made is wrong. They have an older sibling as well and don’t miss church. If they are in a bigger tournament out of town, they find a church in that location to attend. But they always make church… and its not the first nor last game his kids have or will miss.. and their kids will always have a spot on a team somewhere because they are very very good

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
It's a silly rule to make them forfeit if they have 8 or more players.... But ....

If you sign up for something like this you have to know you might have to miss church at times because there might be games are on Sundays, that part is on the parents. Don't sign your kids up if you are not able/willing to make things. Other kids made the game and had to forfeit. They all missed church and lost without getting on the field. The rule is stupid if it's an automatic forfeit with 8 or more players, but rules are rules. Exceptions are a very slippery slope.

My oldest is not playing football this year because... It's a 5 day a week commitment that we aren't willing to make. He's better than average and would help his team, but the season is during prime camping/fishing/hunting season and we (including the kid) aren't going to put that on the back burner. Some other kid that is more committed will take his position on the team and hopefully not let them down like we most assuredly would.

ETA... This isn't Timmy and Tommy's pay to play local travel ball deal here. Unless a lot has changed Dizzy Dean is local leagues that make all star teams after the season. This is not weekend after weekend of travel ball tournaments. I played in the DD World Series when I was 11 in Columbus GA. We had district, state, and the world series tournament weekends in June and possibly early July. Everything else was basically normal rec ball and I assume and sure as hell hope for coach pitch age kids that's still the way it is.
I get all this. And I agree, if you commit, follow through.

However, I know 2 things:

-People in general are pieces of shite and don’t follow through to the letter of their commitment. This is just the society we live in. And-

-I question the wisdom of a lot of parents signing up their grade-schoolers for this kind of commitment at any point, especially during a summer “break”.

Kids need a break and this stuff often becomes a runaway train. Kids that age will of course agree at the start to “play” in the season because it sounds fun, but they really don’t have a grasp of the travel, time, and energy it takes to keep this up, and get burned out.

I guess I’ve seen so much of these youth sports become a monster that just grinds whole families to powder physically, and it becomes the antithesis of what sports is supposed to be - Fun.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I actually know the guy who made the post thru a friend. the guarantee you made is wrong. They have an older sibling as well and don’t miss church. If they are in a bigger tournament out of town, they find a church in that location to attend. But they always make church… and its not the first nor last game his kids have or will miss.. and their kids will always have a spot on a team somewhere because they are very very good
Can you find out where the rest of the players were? They're allowed 18 on the roster... How'd it come down to 1 kid going to church?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Someone should ask where the rest of his players were... He's allowed 18 on the roster. Or did he keep the roster intentionally small to avoid having to play any lesser players?
I would bet that is the case. Probably looked and thought there was a dropoff after 10. But that's on the parents also if they did not communicate ahead of time that they would be skipping games during church.

Also, not sure what the rules are for Dizzy Dean, but the coach also potentially could have gone the route of having alternates. There is a local travel ball team here that has four alternates. So you get to practice and you pay full price, and then you only get to play in games if enough other people bow out for a weekend. My understanding when they were setting it up is that a certain number of tournaments were included in the fees, which would mean the alternates are subsidizing tournament fees for the others unless and until they play beyond their guarantee. But if you take out the money grab aspect of it for the travel ball, it seems like it would be relatively non-objectionable for an all star team.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Oh that's the dirty little secret no one wants to talk about, haha.

And that leads me to another point - I had this conversation with a family member literally yesterday - what's the point of sports nowadays? The whole thing is geared toward you getting a scholarship and 'making' the next team, whatever that is. Of course, the dubmass parents don't realize that the winning and losing of a tournament is not what gets you there, but hey, the directors and the 'business' do a good job of marketing that, so it is what it is. Anyways, my family member was like well sports teaches you about team chemistry, team this, team that. I was like, does it really?? Most teams are put together for the benefit of a few. What are kids really learning in this environment? They aren't "working hard", "grinding", learning "perseverance" or whatever else these parents spew on social media. It's a load of bull. It's about the parents WINNING.

Like Randy Floyd said, "I think we could do just as well if we were in a band or something". While I'm not trying to get the kids laid, for the betterment of their life, wouldn't it be best to push academics, weight-lifting or something, maybe a musical instrument, and like Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Krav Maga? Please tell me how that would NOT be more beneficial for a kid than playing a sports tournament all the time and going to lessons for it during the week?

And I mean as far as scholarships, they aren't that great compared to the work you put in. And you could easily save for college with all this money you put into sports training. I mean I guess if someone just wants the notoriety of being a college athlete I guess? And keep in mind, I'm talking about average high school players here, up to fringe college. I mean obviously if the kid is an absolute standout stud athlete, it'd be smart to invest in that.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Can you find out where the rest of the players were? They're allowed 18 on the roster... How'd it come down to 1 kid going to church?
They allow 18 on the roster, but the team wasn’t completely a full 18.

this was a all star team not a travel teams. They typically get selected to play a week or 10 days before having to play. Some families already have plans and opt not to play. There is also an added cost to making the team. While I don’t know the exact amount of kids on the team, it’s likely there were only 10 or 11 kids to begin with.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Isn't Dizzy Dean a park and rec thing? If so, those leagues generally don't play on Sunday. That may be why this kid was on this team and not a travel team.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I would bet that is the case. Probably looked and thought there was a dropoff after 10. But that's on the parents also if they did not communicate ahead of time that they would be skipping games during church.

Also, not sure what the rules are for Dizzy Dean, but the coach also potentially could have gone the route of having alternates. There is a local travel ball team here that has four alternates. So you get to practice and you pay full price, and then you only get to play in games if enough other people bow out for a weekend. My understanding when they were setting it up is that a certain number of tournaments were included in the fees, which would mean the alternates are subsidizing tournament fees for the others unless and until they play beyond their guarantee. But if you take out the money grab aspect of it for the travel ball, it seems like it would be relatively non-objectionable for an all star team.
My understanding is there were no alternates. They selected well above the 10 number and families opted not to play. I know one kid that was selected but the family already had a cruise planned and their kid was obviously out.

end of the day, this is dizzy dean not the hardcore stuff. Some of these rec all star team are going to have a hard time getting 14-15 kids to participate on short notice.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015

this was a all star team not a travel teams. They typically get selected to play a week or 10 days before having to play. Some families already have plans and opt not to play. There is also an added cost to making the team. While I don’t know the exact amount of kids on the team, it’s likely there were only 10 or 11 kids to begin with.
Ah, the carrots and sticks associated with the accursed “All Star” designation.

“Little Billy, you’ve been named an All-Star!! You can’t just turn THAT down!!”

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Ah, the carrots and sticks associated with the accursed “All Star” designation.

“Little Billy, you’ve been named an All-Star!! You can’t just turn THAT down!!”
Think it’s both ways. Think there are areas where this thrives, but there are also places where there are a group of 7-8 that really want to play, and they are trying to find 2-3-4 willing to do so more so the team will make.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
My understanding is there were no alternates. They selected well above the 10 number and families opted not to play. I know one kid that was selected but the family already had a cruise planned and their kid was obviously out.

end of the day, this is dizzy dean not the hardcore stuff. Some of these rec all star team are going to have a hard time getting 14-15 kids to participate on short notice.
You have a whole league to choose from. There were probably at least a dozen or so kids extra that would have loved the opportunity to be on that team. They might not have been the best kids, but they could have filled out that roster.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You have a whole league to choose from. There were probably at least a dozen or so kids extra that would have loved the opportunity to be on that team. They might not have been the best kids, but they could have filled out that roster.
Again not the case. These leagues have a hard to fielding teams in rec ball.

while this might be the case, again I know 18 get selected. And there are times where over half decline the selection and they go ask around trying to find people that are willing to give up some of their summer plans to play a few more weeks

in Starkville alone I know they were all over social media and using word of mouth trying to get a few more kids in certain age groups to make enough teams to even have a rec season

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Fact of the matter .... and I'm preaching to myself ..... more parents need to standup and not play on Sundays.... and that will change things.
...or worship on a different day, or worship in a different way than physically going to the regular weekly service.

- I am not criticizing the parents for choosing church over making it to the game on time.
- I dont think major change will occur if parents stand up because I doubt enough will stand up to make a significant and large enough impact to force widespread change(widespread being actually wide, or even just regionally wide).
- What you, or others who want change, need to do is get on the boards/committees of the sports organizations you want to change. THAT is how fundamental changes like eliminating games on one of the two weekend days, actually happens.

I am not a church attending Christian, but I sympathize with families that want to prioritize faith during the years when their kids are involved in activities.
We need a 3rd weekend day as a society so more time can be spent together as families, but in reality that would just provide one more day for athletics and activities to dominate.

On a related note, I think some people forget or dont realize just how many activities beyond the common team sports, that kids participate in on Sundays. In the last month, I have been to or seen the following activities and sports that were on Sundays-
- seen countless massive club softball tournaments
- seen countless massive club baseball tournament
- seen countless massive soccer tournament
- attended a massive high school band competition(its 17ing summertime!)
- seen a HS baseball game(I didnt think they played on Sundays, but was wrong?)
- attended a HS softball game(same as above)
- attended a Fencing tournament(this was for one of mine. there at 730am and left at 2pm even though it was early)
- attended 2 Equestrian shows(again, mine. Adults and teens competing. People are there at 630am and stay until 5 or 6pm)
- attended a massive volleyball tournament(one of mine. There at 730am and gone at 3pm).
- seen a big cricket tournament. I think it was a tournament that was lasting for days, but I dont understand the game and it could have also just been one long 17ing game. I guess it doesnt count since I am pretty sure all were Hindu so they are going to Hell anyways.** kidding kidding.

I have older kids, 17 and 13, and long ago I chose to approach weekend sports and activities with the view that it is an opportunity to spend time together as a family. Its obviously a glass half full and make lemonade out of lemons approach, but I genuinely do view them as opportunities for us to spend time together. That doesnt solve the church issue that many here have bemoaned, but it is is a perspective that some may think about taking as they enter the prime period of parenthood where activities(not just sports) and competitions dominate their free time in evenings and weekends.
- if its a weekend tournament or whatever, try to plan activities for the other kid(s) like going to a local pool, a cool playground found on google, or even a children's museum, etc. If that isnt possible, bring cards and play card games during downtime when your participating kid isnt playing. Go to the grocery store with the tagged along kid and have conversations about anything and everything while resupplying on orange slices and fruit-by-the-foot.
That time is frequently seen as a waste or a loss, like a lot of parents say 'well I sat at a tournament all weekend and didnt get anything done around the house'. That is true, and my house and yard are neglected sometimes too. But the time at all day tournaments doesnt always need to be viewed as a waste or loss. It can be legitimately good family bonding time.

-end rant-

• Sad

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

Exactly. There was no travel ball 30 years ago. We played all stars. I didn't get to one year because I was going to church camp. Somebody else got my spot on the team.

I guarantee you if you dig into this, they intentionally kept the team small so they didn't have to play lesser players. If any of the top 15 kids opted out or couldn't make it to all potential games, you offer the next kid in line the position... You don't roll with 10 or 11. I guarantee you there were other kids that would have loved playing on this all star team that weren't offered.

I coach a 15u team (13-15 year olds.) We have 15 kids on the team and 3-12 year olds that are officially rostered that could fill in during a pinch. We had 10 kids (including a 12u kid) that made it to my double header 3 hours away Saturday. 4 of those kids are automatic outs and we lost both games, but every kid got to play and have fun. Sure beat forfeiting if I only let my best players in the roster.

The forfeit is on the coach/league or who didn't figure out how to get more players on that team.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Again not the case. These leagues have a hard to fielding teams in rec ball.

while this might be the case, again I know 18 get selected. And there are times where over half decline the selection and they go ask around trying to find people that are willing to give up some of their summer plans to play a few more weeks

in Starkville alone I know they were all over social media and using word of mouth trying to get a few more kids in certain age groups to make enough teams to even have a rec season
It's 8U. The rec leagues are still halfway viable at that level, even if the top talent has already left for travel ball.

There's no excuse for not being able to find enough players. That's bullshlt and you know it.

I've been through this process multiple times. I know some kids get selected/voted in but choose not to play. There is never a problem finding kids. The hardest part is keeping the roster to a certain level - not exceeding it.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Exactly. There was no travel ball 30 years ago. We played all stars. I didn't get to one year because I was going to church camp. Somebody else got my spot on the team.

I guarantee you if you dig into this, they intentionally kept the team small so they didn't have to play lesser players. If any of the top 15 kids opted out or couldn't make it to all potential games, you offer the next kid in line the position... You don't roll with 10 or 11. I guarantee you there were other kids that would have loved playing on this all star team that weren't offered.

I coach a 15u team (13-15 year olds.) We have 15 kids on the team and 3-12 year olds that are officially rostered that could fill in during a pinch. We had 10 kids (including a 12u kid) that made it to my double header 3 hours away Saturday. 4 of those kids are automatic outs and we lost both games, but every kid got to play and have fun. Sure beat forfeiting if I only let my best players in the roster.

The forfeit is on the coach/league or who didn't figure out how to get more players on that team.
Might be the case here I don’t know.

But I do know there was a group in Starkville 2 years ago, that we’re literally begging anyone willing to come play All stars so they’d make enough to have a team and play. Anyone of any skill level.

again there are places where it thrives and you’ve got a line willing to play. But there are also places where a few dads throw it together and try to get enough to actually play, regardless of skill level.

also there was more than 1 forfeit in the tournament one team couldn’t get the numbers to make a team after sigining up their entire slot was forfetitted.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
It's 8U. The rec leagues are still halfway viable at that level, even if the top talent has already left for travel ball.

There's no excuse for not being able to find enough players. That's bullshlt and you know it.
You know nothing about youth baseball if you think that is the case. Go pull up the websites and see how many forfeits there were. There were tournaments everywhere that had signed up to play and had to pull out due to lack of players

Some of the leagues are 4 teams. Meaning there could be 40-45 kids playing. To get 18 that are willing to give up extra summer time to play a few more tournaments are harder than you think.

Again in Starkville alone they had to combine leagues and do a campaign for certain leagues to make this past season. So it’s not hard to believe they struggled to field all star teams at certain levels

Reactions: BevinBrown

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
...or worship on a different day, or worship in a different way than physically going to the regular weekly service.

- I am not criticizing the parents for choosing church over making it to the game on time.
- I dont think major change will occur if parents stand up because I doubt enough will stand up to make a significant and large enough impact to force widespread change(widespread being actually wide, or even just regionally wide).
- What you, or others who want change, need to do is get on the boards/committees of the sports organizations you want to change. THAT is how fundamental changes like eliminating games on one of the two weekend days, actually happens.

I am not a church attending Christian, but I sympathize with families that want to prioritize faith during the years when their kids are involved in activities.
We need a 3rd weekend day as a society so more time can be spent together as families, but in reality that would just provide one more day for athletics and activities to dominate.

On a related note, I think some people forget or dont realize just how many activities beyond the common team sports, that kids participate in on Sundays. In the last month, I have been to or seen the following activities and sports that were on Sundays-
- seen countless massive club softball tournaments
- seen countless massive club baseball tournament
- seen countless massive soccer tournament
- attended a massive high school band competition(its 17ing summertime!)
- seen a HS baseball game(I didnt think they played on Sundays, but was wrong?)
- attended a HS softball game(same as above)
- attended a Fencing tournament(this was for one of mine. there at 730am and left at 2pm even though it was early)
- attended 2 Equestrian shows(again, mine. Adults and teens competing. People are there at 630am and stay until 5 or 6pm)
- attended a massive volleyball tournament(one of mine. There at 730am and gone at 3pm).
- seen a big cricket tournament. I think it was a tournament that was lasting for days, but I dont understand the game and it could have also just been one long 17ing game. I guess it doesnt count since I am pretty sure all were Hindu so they are going to Hell anyways.** kidding kidding.

I have older kids, 17 and 13, and long ago I chose to approach weekend sports and activities with the view that it is an opportunity to spend time together as a family. Its obviously a glass half full and make lemonade out of lemons approach, but I genuinely do view them as opportunities for us to spend time together. That doesnt solve the church issue that many here have bemoaned, but it is is a perspective that some may think about taking as they enter the prime period of parenthood where activities(not just sports) and competitions dominate their free time in evenings and weekends.
- if its a weekend tournament or whatever, try to plan activities for the other kid(s) like going to a local pool, a cool playground found on google, or even a children's museum, etc. If that isnt possible, bring cards and play card games during downtime when your participating kid isnt playing. Go to the grocery store with the tagged along kid and have conversations about anything and everything while resupplying on orange slices and fruit-by-the-foot.
That time is frequently seen as a waste or a loss, like a lot of parents say 'well I sat at a tournament all weekend and didnt get anything done around the house'. That is true, and my house and yard are neglected sometimes too. But the time at all day tournaments doesnt always need to be viewed as a waste or loss. It can be legitimately good family bonding time.

-end rant-
I don't disagree with anything you say here.....but I think you're missing the more sinister piece of this.....

This coach is playing off this family's alleged religious beliefs to take away from the fact that he's pissed off that he didn't win. There's some deep issues in that.