That sucks for Will Rogers if true...

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
But real coaches, good coaches, don’t lie at all when it comes to real games………and winning.

Arnett, for whatever reason, went against conventional wisdom and it cost him professionally.
You don’t think Nick Saban ever stretched the truth?
bobby Bowden?
Jackie Sherrill?
I can name 20 more

kired

Aug 22, 2008
If he was truly “loyal to his teammates”, why didn’t he at least give it a chance with Lebby….or at least just wait until the hire was made before entering the portal? I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with him just deciding to move on…that’s fine. Just don’t think you can play the loyalty card, if you do.
What teammates? Practically the whole starting offense is gone, who’s returning on offense that’s played in a game with Will? Not many Leach players left.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Everyone has their vices.
If I were Will, I'd be embarrassed if my family constantly kept going to the press and message boards for this stuff. Boy is what? 23? This weird obsession they and the Air Raiders have is next level freaky.

Free advice: Don't argue with Will's admirers . . . it's a waste of time.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Many things can be true.

1). Arnett was a RuN da bAwL T-bro. No doubt he felt like he was carrying the program and thought he knew better. He was wrong along with all the rest. Would not surprise me if he lied.

2) Rogers and family are a little on the whiney side. He thought he was better than he was he was and didn’t read the room. Does not surprise me that they made a less than ideal transfer decision.

There were 3 adults in the room in summer 2022: Keenum, Cohen and Leach. The latter two know how to handle athletics. Keenum does alright but he’s not really expected to be perfect. By December 2022 two of them were gone, and we see the result.

Now we move on, and see if our decision to go all in on NIL and different marketing will work.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
He's prominent in CFB? LOL. He's just a transfer scared to compete. State hired an offensive guy and Will takes off because he got his feeling hurt by an interim HC? LOL
He gave everything he had for 4 years. It's not like he got a boat load of money and left after 2 years like some are doing these days. And 'scared to compete'? What do you think he will be doing in Washington? No way Fisch is just handing him the job. He will have to earn it. Some of you guys have a cockeyed way of looking at this.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
It's really on Will and his father if they thought the offense wouldn't drastically change after the Barbie hire. There was nothing in that guy's resume than indicated they would run anything resembling the air raid.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

BulldawgFan

Oct 7, 2013
He gave everything he had for 4 years. It's not like he got a boat load of money and left after 2 years like some are doing these days. And 'scared to compete'? What do you think he will be doing in Washington? No way Fisch is just handing him the job. He will have to earn it. Some of you guys have a cockeyed way of looking at this.
He did NOT give everything he had for 4 years - that much is obvious. He did not take weight training seriously and it showed. He had the same amount of muscle mass as a freshman as he did as a senior. Any serious college athlete will put on 10-20 pounds at minimum during that 4 year span. More muscle mass means you can take hits more easily. It explains why he was so quick to fall to the ground when a defender was within 5 yards of him.

Don't get me started on his noodle arm. It takes dedication and WORK to increase your arm strength and obviously Will skipped on that part.

He thought he could skate by with a weak arm since he played in the Air Raid. He got exposed when he had to throw more than 10 yards.

His lack of a work ethic ultimately shorted Mississippi State University and himself. I'll never not resent him for it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He did NOT give everything he had for 4 years - that much is obvious. He did not take weight training seriously and it showed. He had the same amount of muscle mass as a freshman as he did as a senior. Any serious college athlete will put on 10-20 pounds at minimum during that 4 year span. More muscle mass means you can take hits more easily. It explains why he was so quick to fall to the ground when a defender was within 5 yards of him.

Don't get me started on his noodle arm. It takes dedication and WORK to increase your arm strength and obviously Will skipped on that part.

He thought he could skate by with a weak arm since he played in the Air Raid. He got exposed when he had to throw more than 10 yards.

His lack of a work ethic ultimately shorted Mississippi State University and himself. I'll never not resent him for it.
I also question this. It doesn't seem like he changed at all from 2020 to now. I have no idea about his dedication to training/weight room.....he may have just been maxed out. But you'd think he could have gotten a little bigger and stronger for sure.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012

His lack of a work ethic ultimately shorted Mississippi State University and himself. I'll never not resent him.
I pity whoever the next QB will be. As there will always be some ready to crap on whomever it is.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I pity whoever the next QB will be. As there will always be some ready to crap on whomever it is.
Nobody loves the backup QB more than MSU fans. Been seeing it all my life. The ones crying for Mike Wright this year were the absolute worst though. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and I've seen this game play out a time or two.

Was Rogers limited? Yes. But any idiot could see that the offensive problems this year were on Arnett. Wright was never going to solve those.

You could name many, many QBs throughout the years who suffered this fate. I remember it all the way back to Sleepy Robinson, and the only reason he didn't get booed and call for the backup, is because he got hurt. Then poor Todd Jordan never stood a chance, here come the calls for Derrick Taite. Then Wyatt, then Morgan, then Madkin, then Fant, etc.

Only QB who has ever scaped this was Dak. Even Nick 17ing Fitzgerald had to hear the boos and calls for benching - FOR KEYTAON THOMPSON FOR 17S SAKE!!! It's really unbelievable.

Again, it's not about the starter's ability - it's about the lack of ability of the backups, and the reason the starters were starters to begin with.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
If true, you can see why things went wrong so fast. Coach lost the team’s trust.
This is one side of the story. Will was saying a lot of positive things about the offense in spring and fall camp. Seems to me like an attempt to whitewash history and explain why he sucked last year.

And this is no endorsement of Arnett or Barbay. The offense sucked. In hindsight, we should've kept elements of the air raid. But that's not was being said before the season. So I see this stuff as revisionist history from a player (and his family) trying to justify a bad year.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I also question this. It doesn't seem like he changed at all from 2020 to now. I have no idea about his dedication to training/weight room.....he may have just been maxed out. But you'd think he could have gotten a little bigger and stronger for sure.
Definitely didn't seem to get more athletic as ball players tend to do in college. Just seems like average jo that goes to weight room and texts and then goes and runs drills or just plays and throws. I think leach just had him throwing all day and didn't want him to bulk to affect accuracy any to throw that off. Maybe. None of leach guys were super bulky strong qbs just the nature of that offense

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login