The FMB should bring Wabash Cannonball to the SEC

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Every other conference has a team that embraces it. Kansas State was electric last night

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
I am a believer that college marching bands are awesome and a key part of the college environment. Bands are another spirit group - cheerleaders, dancers, band. The problem is happening in high schools where band is its own thing and they don't care about being a part of the school spirit culture.

Germantown and Madison Central played Friday night and the Germantown band wasn't there because they had a competition in Missouri on Saturday. That's stupid and if I were dictator I'd end it. Play the fight song, get the crowd into the game. Patriotic half time shows are awesome. Tributes to 80s Broadway classics are not awesome.

The FMB is not close to being awesome. An insider tells me that the FMB has the same problem the rest of the university has. Stuck in the past. That goober that announces them needs to retire. He's embarrassing. And I think I heard the 1998 hit by No Doubt, Spiderwebs earlier this season.

Reactions: jacksondawg20

Fighting Irish.sixpack

Oct 26, 2012
I am a believer that college marching bands are awesome and a key part of the college environment. Bands are another spirit group - cheerleaders, dancers, band. The problem is happening in high schools where band is its own thing and they don't care about being a part of the school spirit culture.

Germantown and Madison Central played Friday night and the Germantown band wasn't there because they had a competition in Missouri on Saturday. That's stupid and if I were dictator I'd end it. Play the fight song, get the crowd into the game. Patriotic half time shows are awesome. Tributes to 80s Broadway classics are not awesome.
Exactly. We do the same halftime shows every single year. We do the same pregame routine every year. Who in the hell cares to hear the original fight song?

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Exactly. We do the same halftime shows every single year. We do the same pregame routine every year. Who in the hell cares to hear the original fight song?
The old fight song would be awesome if just afterwards Bully came out of the tunnel in this instead of the doghouse.

Every time I hear that song I just think about the Animal House parade for some reason.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The football team is losing so it’s whoa is us for literally everything that has to do with the school. None of this means jack shít if the football team goes 2-10.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
The football team is losing so it’s whoa is us for literally everything that has to do with the school. None of this means jack shít if the football team goes 2-10.
I disagree. Our entire culture sucks. Script State sucks. High school kids are going to Ole Miss because their culture is skibidi. There was a group of high school kids in front of us yesterday that basically thought State was boring and said "Why would anyone ever come to college here."

Of course Ole Miss played Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone" as a fourth quarter song yesterday. But guess what, that will never happen again. We'll keep doing the same old ****. When you have a good product on the field, it covers it up a bit. Its always been bad and sometimes cringe. It pissed Mullen off and he tried to do something about it.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
WTF is happening here?
School spirit. A student section united with the spirt teams (cheer, dance, and band) to tell their hated rival to F off. We played the Game of Thrones theme yesterday to celebrate an Arkansas gain of 11 on 2nd and 10.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Was that before or after we fired the artillery piece to celebrate our missed FG?
Forgot about that. Top to bottom. We have to get serious.

Full disclosure: The last two months has softened my "We're not going to be in the next version of major college football" stance. But we are looking to be a perennial bottom feeder if we don't get our **** together.

Arnept

Nov 26, 2023
Didn't realize Madelon was so hated. I hate to tell y'all, but they will never stop playing it during pregame.

And the guy who does PA for the band only does the PA. He is not associated with the FMB in any other way.

As for the stuff like playing after giving up a 12 yard play or losing 3 yards on offense, that infuriates me as well. That blame lies on whatever drum major is conducting when that happens. Two of the current drum majors have zero awareness of what's actually going on in the game when they are conducting.

The band does learn a few new tunes (for extended breaks) every year as well as four different halftime shows, but the small quick stuff they play in between downs is pretty much the same every year.

Our band isn't necessarily anything special, but if we're getting to the point that we're bitching about the band, then we are in a terrible state of mind.

Last edited:

Arnept

Nov 26, 2023
Pregame was actually slightly different this year, not that you'd care enough to notice.

The only halftime show that is the same every year is the patriotic show.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Didn't realize Madelon was so hated. I hate to tell y'all, but they will never stop playing it during pregame.

And the guy who does PA for the band only does the PA. He is not associated with the FMB in any other way.

As for the stuff like playing after giving up a 12 yard play or losing 3 yards on offense, that infuriates me as well. That blame lies on whatever drum major is conducting when that happens. Two of the current drum majors have zero awareness of what's actually going on in the game when they are conducting.

The band does learn a few new tunes (for extended breaks) every year as well as four different halftime shows, but the small quick stuff they play in between downs is pretty much the same every year.

Our band isn't necessarily anything special, but if we're getting to the point that we're bitching about the band, then we are in a terrible state of mind.
You seem to be an insider, so here are some questions.

1. Why is Madelon so revered by the band directors? Its an old 30s war march.

Here are the lyrics:

There is a tavern way down in Brittany, Where weary soldiers take their liberty
O Madelon you are my only one, O Madelon now that the foe is gone

It has NOTHING to do with Mississippi State.

Someone later wrote some MSU lyrics

2. It is very evident that your current drum majors do not have one ounce of football awareness. Could there be room for a "in the stands" drum major that knows football so we aren't playing embarrassing things at the wrong time. From my band contact, the frustration is that other college bands have this setup:

First Down play this
Defense Sacks play that
Defense forces Third Down play this
and so on.

Apparently we just make it up as we go.

Fighting Irish.sixpack

Oct 26, 2012
Pregame was actually slightly different this year, not that you'd care enough to notice.

The only halftime show that is the same every year is the patriotic show.
Our Fat asses in the band run onto the field. Yeah that’s a big difference. And they need to wear uniforms every game like every other band. That T-shirt and short crap is bush league because it’s too hot.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login