The good old days

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
dan mullen dancing GIF by Florida Gators

• Haha
Reactions: horshack.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm gonna go a hot take with here, @Shmuley alluded to it the other day, Danny was just an above average to good coach. He wasn’t elite or anything. He ran the program “passably” IIRC, the terminology.

I don’t think we at MSU really know much about what a great or elite coach really is.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Some of you are lucky that that era is your only brush with MSU football history. As for the rest of us we’ve seen the **** for 40-50 years. Yes Hunchie did some good things at MSU but he made it very clear every November where his heart was. It damn sure wasn’t in Davis Wade Stadium in Starkville, MS

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I'm gonna go a hot take with here, @Shmuley alluded to it the other day, Danny was just an above average to good coach. He wasn’t elite or anything. He ran the program “passably” IIRC, the terminology.

I don’t think we at MSU really know much about what a great or elite coach really is.
He certainly rode the SEC money wave. That mixed with favorable non-con skews him a bit. Still a good coach though.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He certainly rode the SEC money wave. That mixed with favorable non-con skews him a bit. Still a good coach though.
Agree. Funny that playing Georgia Tech and BYU directly led to Danny's two losing regular seasons. That's why I hold King Jackie in the same regard as him. Kang had 11 game seasons to deal with, and many times still had a P5 opponent. Of course, the way he let the program go prevents him from ever being the top coach ever.

This frustrates me so much. I just wish there was a guy we could call our own, to build a tradition around. Danny just didn't have the loyalty. Kang rode us into the ground and he's an aTm homer now. Emory rode us into the ground too, and lost to Southern Miss too much. Tyler was pretty good, I don't remember much about his tenure.

I guess we just have to take a little from all of them. Even still, if I had to say what was the best time in MSU history, I'd probably pick Danny, due to Dak and that 3 week stretch of 2014 that will never be upstaged, unless we win a national title.

Reactions: Ranchdawg and was21

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Agree. Funny that playing Georgia Tech and BYU directly led to Danny's two losing regular seasons. That's why I hold King Jackie in the same regard as him. Kang had 11 game seasons to deal with, and many times still had a P5 opponent. Of course, the way he let the program go prevents him from ever being the top coach ever.

This frustrates me so much. I just wish there was a guy we could call our own, to build a tradition around. Danny just didn't have the loyalty. Kang rode us into the ground and he's an aTm homer now. Emory rode us into the ground too, and lost to Southern Miss too much. Tyler was pretty good, I don't remember much about his tenure.

I guess we just have to take a little from all of them. Even still, if I had to say what was the best time in MSU history, I'd probably pick Danny, due to Dak and that 3 week stretch of 2014 that will never be upstaged, unless we win a national title.
Yep. So many schools have at least one historic coach that is forever held in program lore.
  • Ole Miss - Vaught
  • Clemson - Danny Ford
  • Arkansas - Frank Broyles
  • Mizzou - Don Faurot/Dan Devine
  • Auburn - Pat Dye
  • GA Tech - Bobby Dodd/John Heisman
  • VA Tech - Frank Beamer
Just a few off the top of my head. Ours should have been Allyn McKeen, but we found a way to screw that up.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yep. So many schools have at least one historic coach that is forever held in program lore.
  • Ole Miss - Vaught
  • Clemson - Danny Ford
  • Auburn - Pat Dye
  • VA Tech - Frank Beamer
Just a few off the top of my head. Ours should have been Allyn McKeen, but we found a way to screw that up.
Geez that makes me even more mad. I mean, screw Cam Newton, what if Mullen had just committed after 2015? That's when he truly quit in my mind. He screwed up the 2016 class by not caring, and then 2017 is the one that had so many holes, due to him stacking up the JUCOs, so he could get out. He could have balanced that out and no telling what 2017 and 2018 look like at MSU. And we wouldn't have dropped off in 2019 and 2020. We would have paid him whatever he wanted and he could have hung out at the lake in Georgia and shopped in Publix whenever he wanted.

Oh well, just another what could have been in MSU football history.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Dan Mullen coached against the most difficult schedules we've ever faced. This was the time period the SEC West was at its peak. We've never had a coach face as many top 10 teams as we did in that era.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
A French Foreign Secretary after seeing how the Germans treated Bismarck in his later years: "The Germans will never be a great people."

Reactions: knock him out john

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014

Mullen isn’t an elite coach is now a hot take?

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Geez that makes me even more mad. I mean, screw Cam Newton, what if Mullen had just committed after 2015? That's when he truly quit in my mind. He screwed up the 2016 class by not caring, and then 2017 is the one that had so many holes, due to him stacking up the JUCOs, so he could get out. He could have balanced that out and no telling what 2017 and 2018 look like at MSU. And we wouldn't have dropped off in 2019 and 2020. We would have paid him whatever he wanted and he could have hung out at the lake in Georgia and shopped in Publix whenever he wanted.

Oh well, just another what could have been in MSU football history.
He was trying to get out at the end of 2014.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Here is my opinion. JWS came in and showed us we can make it to Atlanta. Then Mullen came in and moved us up a notch or 2. More consistency. Then Leach came in and proved that MSU can throw the ball and attract more than 1 four star WR and have a room full of them. We are now building off of all what Leach showed we could do and Lebby is the next step in my opinion.

What he accomplished this weekend may be the biggest turn around ever at any college. To have a recruit come in that would not even give the last staff the time of day was big. But to hear that kid say that it's easily in the top 2 OVs he's ever been on.... That's massive.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Dan Mullen coached against the most difficult schedules we've ever faced. This was the time period the SEC West was at its peak. We've never had a coach face as many top 10 teams as we did in that era.
Which is why I said he was a good coach. But you can't deny that playing really easy non-conference schedules weren't a major factor in his overall success. Having 4 gimme wins makes it much easier to make a bowl game each year. I acknowledge that we also played incredibly difficult SECW schedules, but we are also all aware of Mullen's poor record vs the Top 25. It's not disparaging him, it's just giving context to his tenure.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Hell we just had a probable hall of fame coach die on the job here a year ago after a 9 win season and after 100 years of us having a mediocre to poor football "program" some are blaming him for screwing it up. **
Cohen screwed it up by holding on the purse strings like a guy named Goldberg running a New York Bank! Keenum compounded it by dragging *** I hiring an AD, then hiring a Jr. Grade AD, After he hired a HS level Head Coach and telling to hire a bunch of nobody coaches that were friends or related to the Cigar Boys!

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Which is why I said he was a good coach. But you can't deny that playing really easy non-conference schedules weren't a major factor in his overall success. Having 4 gimme wins makes it much easier to make a bowl game each year. I acknowledge that we also played incredibly difficult SECW schedules, but we are also all aware of Mullen's poor record vs the Top 25. It's not disparaging him, it's just giving context to his tenure.
Heck! We had a winnable Non-Con schedule this year. If Arnett and his Scabs hadn't ruined the program, next year would be a winnable non-con schedule.

Reactions: patdog

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Hell we just had a probable hall of fame coach die on the job here a year ago after a 9 win season and after 100 years of us having a mediocre to poor football "program" some are blaming him for screwing it up. **
Good point.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Heck! We had a winnable Non-Con schedule this year. If Arnett and his Scabs hadn't ruined the program, next year would be a winnable non-con schedule.
When have we ever not had a winnable non conference schedule? Yet somehow some idiots want to blame Mullen.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
When have we ever not had a winnable non conference schedule? Yet somehow some idiots want to blame Mullen.
Lot of years. Like I said earlier, it contributed to Mullen’s two losing seasons. Almost gave him a third in 2013 when the Pokes kicked our ***. P5 OOC foes have not been good to us.

Nov 13, 2023
If Mullen would have just semi cared about recruiting and hired a couple of better staff members instead of his friends, he could be elite.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
  • Ole Miss - Vaught
  • Clemson - Danny Ford
  • Auburn - Pat Dye
  • VA Tech - Frank Beamer
FSU - Bobby Bowden

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Mississippi State did not play on a level playing field in the SEC until 1992. Go back and look at the record books and see how we not only screwed ourselves, but were screwed by our own conference.

In the 1970s the only teams we hosted on campus were Mississippi (for 1 year) and Auburn for ONE year. We played our "home" conference games in Jackson and also played a couple of "home" games against Vandy and UT in Memphis.

In the 1980s we had home games against Vandy twice, Florida twice, LSU 3 times, Auburn, Georgia, Kentucky, Alabama all once and then we sold 2 homes games against Florida in 89 and 91.

That is 2 decades in the "modern" era of football where the majority of our games against the power teams of the conference were either neutral or road games. It is not really that hard to understand why our record in the conference is pathetic. Our "leadership" even viewed us as nothing more than a sacrificial lamb for the better part of half a century.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Mississippi State did not play on a level playing field in the SEC until 1992. Go back and look at the record books and see how we not only screwed ourselves, but were screwed by our own conference.

In the 1970s the only teams we hosted on campus were Mississippi (for 1 year) and Auburn for ONE year. We played our "home" conference games in Jackson and also played a couple of "home" games against Vandy and UT in Memphis.

In the 1980s we had home games against Vandy twice, Florida twice, LSU 3 times, Auburn, Georgia, Kentucky, Alabama all once and then we sold 2 homes games against Florida in 89 and 91.

That is 2 decades in the "modern" era of football where the majority of our games against the power teams of the conference were either neutral or road games. It is not really that hard to understand why our record in the conference is pathetic. Our "leadership" even viewed us as nothing more than a sacrificial lamb for the better part of half a century.
Just damn

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
As I watched the Cowboys v Eagles last night I found myself thinking that if Dan was that great, he should've won a lot more with that talent. As I've stated before, I was sick of his schtick long before he finally left. Don't want him back.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
Something in the hearts of the State fan base died when he led Florida to victory in Starkville in 2018.
I got drunk out on my screen porch whilst my Gator fan wife celebrated inside . . . . . . . . that game didn't just break my heart, it also broke my spirit, and darn near broke several bones, but I won't reveal whose.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login