The math behind going for 2 when down by 14 late in game and scoring a TD.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Fans like to complain pretending like they know better or have perfect intuition from their zero playcalling experience. "Why would you run the ball there?!?!??" always makes me laugh.
Yep, and forget all the other times running the ball worked in a similar situation.

Reactions: CbusLion

[email protected]

Oct 7, 2021
It reminds me of the example that someone gave elsewhere of the following scenario...

You're a baseball manager, and your team is down 3-2 in a 7 game series. Tonight, you can throw your ace on short rest, and you'd likely have a 60% chance of winning. But then tomorrow, you come back with a pitcher that gives you a 45% chance of winning. Or, you can throw that other pitcher tonight with the 45% chance of winning, and saving your ace for tomorrow's game would give you a 70% chance of winning.

I'm shocked at how many say you have to throw the ace tonight, since that gives you the best chance of extending the series...and heading into the offseason without your ace pitching the last game would potentially get you fired if we could have gone. Me...I do whatever gives me the best chance of winning the series, regardless of it means I have a larger chance of losing in 6.
Big difference there is you must win game six to have any chance of winning the series (as opposed to “going for two” situation).

seems more akin to the nascar example where an intermediate result has value apart from the final result.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
It’s the difference between having a 33% chance of winning the prize of a 67% chance. It doesn’t guarantee anything so you could stick and win or switch and lose, but why ever turn down the opportunity to double you chances of winning the prize?
But what if I really wanted the goat. Maybe I'm starting a farm or have a big patch of poison ivy I need to clean up?

Is the percent of winning while not switching always 1÷n? Therfore the percentage of winning while switching is 2×(1÷n). Where n is the number of doors.

So, more doors makes switching less beneficial. Still twice as probable as staying, but the magnitude is smaller.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
No coach would rely “solely” on analytics…but once upon a time, the thought of abandoning mid-range jumpers or shifting 3 players to one side of the infield was looked at as crazy…and when it didn’t work, fans/media members likely said the coach is wrong to implement these new analytics-based strategies, focusing on the small sample sizes.

Coaches that use analytics in their approach are “smart”, not “weak”.

analytics assumes all opponents are the same. They never account for opponents having a stud player out or coming back from injury. It generalizes such that playing Rutgers will have the same effect as playing Georgia.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Big difference there is you must win game six to have any chance of winning the series (as opposed to “going for two” situation).

seems more akin to the nascar example where an intermediate result has value apart from the final result.
But you’d also need to win game 7. You should make decisions in trying to win game 6 that hurt your overall chance of winning if the end goal is to win the series.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I'm still not sure how some argue against using analytics. No you don't do it 100% of the time, but you can use it as a guide. I'd much rather have a HC that uses current data and methods then a dinosaur who isn't willing to adjust. This back in my day we just used our gut is like saying why break down film....just out execute everyone. No need to try and get a leg up legally. There are very few businesses and even pro sports that don't take analytics into account. It's not a black and white thing, but yes.....coaches need to have that data available to them to make an INFORMED decision.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
But what if I really wanted the goat. Maybe I'm starting a farm or have a big patch of poison ivy I need to clean up?

Is the percent of winning while not switching always 1÷n? Therfore the percentage of winning while switching is 2×(1÷n). Where n is the number of doors.

So, more doors makes switching less beneficial. Still twice as probable as staying, but the magnitude is smaller.
It would depend on how it goes down. If there are more doors and they just open one, the chances of winning aren’t as high (though still better to switch). If they keep opening until you’re down to 2 doors, then chances of winning are even higher with the switch.

I had a game theory class my last semester that covered some of these types of things that I really enjoyed.

Last edited:

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
analytics assumes all opponents are the same. They never account for opponents having a stud player out or coming back from injury. It generalizes such that playing Rutgers will have the same effect as playing Georgia.
That’s why you’d use analytics to help guide your decisions, not take one set of data and use it as gospel (plus, it’s possible to separate out the data and look at opponents differently…we don’t have 100 people on our football payroll for nothing).

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

BeerLion

Oct 12, 2021
A lot of people freaked out a few years ago when Doug Pederson started doing this. Now, it's becoming more common as coaches accept it (TB did it on Saturday), but I still see folks protesting. I heard a good explanation of the math today that hopefully makes more sense.

First, it's only valid if your team is able to get a 2nd TD without the other team scoring, so that is the assumed scenario. Also, for simplification purposes, assume that an XP is 100% probability and 2Pt conv is 50% (both are slightly less but that isn't too critical). Also must assume that winning in OT is close to 50%, so this may not be applicable if your team is a heavy favorite.

Option 1: Kick the 2 XPs, go to OT. Probably of winning = 50%

Option 2: Go for 2 on the first TD. There is a 50% chance that you win the game right then and there (remember, we assumed that you will score again and kick an XP).
If you miss it, you still have a 50% chance to make the 2Pt conv on the second TD and then a 50% chance to win in OT. The probably of this scenario playing out is 50% (that you miss the 1st 2pt conv) X 50% (that you make the 2nd 2pt conv) X 50% (that you win in OT) = 12.5%.

Going for 2pt conversion leading to a total probability of winning the game = 50% (make the 1st 2pt conv) + 12.5% (miss 1st 2pt conv, but make 2nd and win in OT) = 62.5%
Math has np place in football

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Yes it matters. If give you one shot to roll a dice to win $1000 and I give you the following options to choose from, which do you take?

Option 1: roll a 1 or a 2 to win the money
Option 2: roll a 3, 4, 5, or 6 to win the money.
Thanks that makes sense...

but I would rather roll first and then choose. My chances of winning would be much higher.

Reactions: Grant Green

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
It is important for a coach and his assistants to know the analytics of any given situation. But whenever I see a coach go for 2 points before the 4th quarter because “the book” says to do it, it is cringeworthy. Teams routinely regret chasing points too early in a game.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
It is important for a coach and his assistants to know the analytics of any given situation. But whenever I see a coach go for 2 points before the 4th quarter because “the book” says to do it, it is cringeworthy. Teams routinely regret chasing points too early in a game.
I find the term 'chasing points' to be cringe worthy. More sports dogma that has never been proven to be true. If an action gives you a higher chance of success over the long run, you should probably do it. Saying that teams routinely regret 'chasing points' is completely anecdotal and you are likely only remembering the times it fails and not the times it works.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Is the math generated from 10 lesser teams equal the math on would get with tOSU and Michigan?
So you should play to lose against better teams or ignore the math because it scares some old people afraid of any change?

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
So you should play to lose against better teams or ignore the math because it scares old people?

Show me how the math changes when, during the game, the opponents starting cornerback left for injury and his replacement just hobbled off the field.

When you running back just had two consecutive runs of 15 and 20 yards, does the math say to keep running it in that drive until they stop it, or to start throwing the ball instead?

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Show me how the math changes when, during the game, the opponents starting cornerback left for injury and his replacement just hobbled off the field.

When you running back just had two consecutive runs of 15 and 20 yards, does the math say to keep running it in that drive until they stop it, or to start throwing the ball instead?

So in your world a HC should never use trends or tools available to him.....got it. Why should coaches break down film anymore? Why would they want the data to know what an opponent may or may not do? You just need to go out and execute, right. Who cares if a player gets hurt or not, just execute.

Analytics have been in football for a very long time, but now they are getting into the game even deeper. Team A runs the ball 70% of the time in this situation in this part of the field....so just ignore that information as math is bad. You realize that data was being used for decades now and it's more available with the better BI tools that are out there. I can guarantee you every major university is using analytics in a huge way in more than just football.

Not to mention this is about when to go for 2, punt, and you're now breaking it down to every single play.....that isn't what this is about but I can see how these things confuse you so easily. As far as changing from run to pass, maybe the QB's and OC should ignore how the defense lines up too. Just make a single call and stick with it as doing things that may work in your favor based on data and the past is voodoo. Any HC worth his salt isn't ignoring analytics anymore, but doesn't mean they only rely on that to make decisions. I know in your world everything is black and white, but this topic is a bit more nuanced for you IMO.

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

Last edited:

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Is the math generated from 10 lesser teams equal the math on would get with tOSU and Michigan?
That's a different discussion. You are referring to the quality of the data, which doesn't prove the blanket statement that math doesn't belong in football.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
I find the term 'chasing points' to be cringe worthy. More sports dogma that has never been proven to be true. If an action gives you a higher chance of success over the long run, you should probably do it. Saying that teams routinely regret 'chasing points' is completely anecdotal and you are likely only remembering the times it fails and not the times it works.
But, if "chasing points" doesn't exist, shouldn't every team go for 2 every time? Maybe it depends on what you mean by "chasing points". For me it means after doing something with a lesser chance of success but a potentially bigger payoff, if you aren't successful, you need to adapt your strategy to account for the smaller payoff you didn't obtain at a higher probability for success. So, in my estimation, going for 2 early in the game leads to the potential of "chasing points" but later in the game (typically 4th quarter) that is less of a factor as you number of future possessions approach zero.

Reactions: NewEra 2014

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
But, if "chasing points" doesn't exist, shouldn't every team go for 2 every time? Maybe it depends on what you mean by "chasing points". For me it means after doing something with a lesser chance of success but a potentially bigger payoff, if you aren't successful, you need to adapt your strategy to account for the smaller payoff you didn't obtain at a higher probability for success. So, in my estimation, going for 2 early in the game leads to the potential of "chasing points" but later in the game (typically 4th quarter) that is less of a factor as you number of future possessions approach zero.
It depends on your probability of success. If your XP% is 94% and your long term average 2pt% is 48%, technically you should go for 2 every time. Over 100 attempts the XP yields 94 pts and the 2pt try yields 96pts. Will any coach do that outside of highschool? Probably not. If your 2pt% is poor, then yeah, maybe better to get the XP, but that is at least better reasoning than "well, I heard that it's always bad to chase points".

Here's another angle. What about when Chip Kelly and Mike Tomlin would go for 2 on the first TD of the game. Perhaps they felt that they had a higher probability for success early in the game? If you make it, now the other team is "chasing points". I think when people analyze these situations they tend to only think of the bad outcome and it's effects (my team will fall further behind) but not consider the good outcome (it could end up winning me 1 extra game this season which could be the difference between playoffs and golf).

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
It depends on your probability of success. If your XP% is 94% and your long term average 2pt% is 48%, technically you should go for 2 every time. Over 100 attempts the XP yields 94 pts and the 2pt try yields 96pts. Will any coach do that outside of highschool? Probably not. If your 2pt% is poor, then yeah, maybe better to get the XP, but that is at least better reasoning than "well, I heard that it's always bad to chase points".

Here's another angle. What about when Chip Kelly and Mike Tomlin would go for 2 on the first TD of the game. Perhaps they felt that they had a higher probability for success early in the game? If you make it, now the other team is "chasing points". I think when people analyze these situations they tend to only think of the bad outcome and it's effects (my team will fall further behind) but not consider the good outcome (it could end up winning me 1 extra game this season which could be the difference between playoffs and golf).
I agree that it is possible that it could win you that extra game. But it is probably more likely that it could lose you that extra game which also could be the difference between playoffs and golf. Again, otherwise every team would do it all the time.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
I agree that it is possible that it could win you that extra game. But it is probably more likely that it could lose you that extra game which also could be the difference between playoffs and golf. Again, otherwise every team would do it all the time.
Why is it more likely to lose? You can't make that blanket statement. If a team is awful at converting 2pts than, I agree they will lose more. If a team is really good at it, they are more likely to win. For example, if the Eagles could make the tush push work an average of 50%, they should do it every time.

The reason that coaches don't always make the statistically correct decision is often due to public perception and job preservation. If the Eagles started going for two every time, Nick S would get eviscerated the first time they lost because of it. As I said earlier, Malcolm Gladwell does a great podcast segment on this - check it out in link below. He follows it with commentary on the movie No Good Deed which is really interesting too.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Why is it more likely to lose? You can't make that blanket statement. If a team is awful at converting 2pts than, I agree they will lose more. If a team is really good at it, they are more likely to win. For example, if the Eagles could make the tush push work an average of 50%, they should do it every time.

The reason that coaches don't always make the statistically correct decision is often due to public perception and job preservation. If the Eagles started going for two every time, Nick S would get eviscerated the first time they lost because of it. As I said earlier, Malcolm Gladwell does a great podcast segment on this - check it out in link below. He follows it with commentary on the movie No Good Deed which is really interesting too.

I agree that sometimes coaches don't do the right thing. I guess that I need to better understand where you fall on this. When you say that chasing points doesn't exist, to me it sounds like you are advocating going for 2 early if not always because it will pay off for you a certain percentage of the time. It's hard to say exactly how often without exact numbers and, as many here have said, individual circumstances will vary. If that success rate is less than half of the XP rate then it seems that it would be more likely not to be beneficial.

Still in State Colllege

Oct 12, 2021
I guess my issue with using math in these situations is that using averages to calculate one play. What happened in the months of September and October might not be relevant to a team in January. Analytics try to make a simple math decision, but the number of variables make it a much difference calculation than using a simple average.

Reactions: NewEra 2014

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I guess my issue with using math in these situations is that using averages to calculate one play. What happened in the months of September and October might not be relevant to a team in January. Analytics try to make a simple math decision, but the number of variables make it a much difference calculation than using a simple average.
And that should play into those things that are tough decisions and/or right on the edge...do I go for it on this 4th and 2 from the 50? When it comes to the initial question in this thread, the decision should be a no-brainer under pretty much any scenario. When you're down 14 and then score a TD, you should go for 2 in pretty much any situation with a certain amount of time left on the clock.

Another one that might start popping up is how to handle things when you're down 10 and score a TD...it is situation dependent to a degree, but there is a very strong argument to go for 2 in that scenario. I'm sure that a coach doing so tomorrow would blow people's minds.

Still in State Colllege

Oct 12, 2021
And that should play into those things that are tough decisions and/or right on the edge...do I go for it on this 4th and 2 from the 50? When it comes to the initial question in this thread, the decision should be a no-brainer under pretty much any scenario. When you're down 14 and then score a TD, you should go for 2 in pretty much any situation with a certain amount of time left on the clock.

Another one that might start popping up is how to handle things when you're down 10 and score a TD...it is situation dependent to a degree, but there is a very strong argument to go for 2 in that situation. I'm sure that a coach doing so tomorrow would blow people's minds.
Probably if you look at the math it never makes sense to kick an extra point or punt. You should probably "always" go for it.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
I agree that sometimes coaches don't do the right thing. I guess that I need to better understand where you fall on this. When you say that chasing points doesn't exist, to me it sounds like you are advocating going for 2 early if not always because it will pay off for you a certain percentage of the time. It's hard to say exactly how often without exact numbers and, as many here have said, individual circumstances will vary. If that success rate is less than half of the XP rate then it seems that it would be more likely not to be beneficial.
What irks me about people using the term "chasing points" is that 1)they tend to use it every time a coach is losing and goes for 2 and it isn't near the end of the game, 2) believe that it is always a bad move because they heard someone say it on a broadcast when they were young. I would definitely agree with your last statement (unless late in the game and you have to gamble). And yeah, if your teams 2pt rate is better than half your XP rate, technically you should go for it every time. I understand the psychology of a coach not doing it though (back to Malcolm Gladwell - check it out, I think you would like it).

Reactions: Woodpecker

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
What irks me about people using the term "chasing points" is that 1)they tend to use it every time a coach is losing and goes for 2 and it isn't near the end of the game, 2) believe that it is always a bad move because they heard someone say it on a broadcast when they were young. I would definitely agree with your last statement (unless late in the game and you have to gamble). And yeah, if your teams 2pt rate is better than half your XP rate, technically you should go for it every time. I understand the psychology of a coach not doing it though (back to Malcolm Gladwell - check it out, I think you would like it).

how do you determine your teams 2pt rate which, unlike an XP rate, will vary depending on who you play

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
how do you determine your teams 2pt rate which, unlike an XP rate, will vary depending on who you play
I'm certainly not an expert, so I can only give a rough explanation. I believe they will mainly use in-season stats for 3rd and 4th short yardage success rates of both your team and the opponent. Obviously, previous 2pt attempts by both teams fill factor in. Probably a small contribution of league average. I'm sure there are more factors that guys smarter than me have figured out.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I'm certainly not an expert, so I can only give a rough explanation. I believe they will mainly use in-season stats for 3rd and 4th short yardage success rates of both your team and the opponent. Obviously, previous 2pt attempts by both teams fill factor in. Probably a small contribution of league average. I'm sure there are more factors that guys smarter than me have figured out.
League/historical average should be a big part of it, since the sample sizes for isolating just yourselves or your opponents would lead to a pretty high variance.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
League/historical average should be a big part of it, since the sample sizes for isolating just yourselves or your opponents would lead to a pretty high variance.
No exception to that, especially for NFL. Early in the season, probably have to use previous season data and understand that it won't be as reliable.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
And, factor in that if you’re chances of success with the two pointer are lower, then it means that your chances of winning in OT should also be considerably lower…if anything, it tells me that I’d rather roll the dice on one play vs a full OT.
Even at home? After scoring on two recent, if not consecutive drives? With players amped up and the other team trying to recover? Yeah, run a low percentage play for two and deflate it all.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Even at home? After scoring on two recent, if not consecutive drives? With players amped up and the other team trying to recover? Yeah, run a low percentage play for two and deflate it all.
Why are you assuming you’d run a low percentage play? Yes, even at home after scoring on two recent drives, going for 2 when down 8 should be a no brainer.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Why are you assuming you’d run a low percentage play? Yes, even at home after scoring on two recent drives, going for 2 when down 8 should be a no brainer.
The whole "emotional letdown/momentum killer of missing the 2pt conv" angle is silly to me. I wouldn't factor it into the probability at all. Even if it were a factor, it wouldn't be remotely close to overcoming the ~12.5% edge you are getting.

Reactions: Erial_Lion

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
@Grant Green - are you into the sabremetrics side of baseball at all? I’m not, but worked with some of Voros McCracken’s stuff on the soccer side years ago, and he was the one that came up with the analysis around DIPS…those findings blew my mind even being very deep into the statistical/modeling side of sports.