The math behind going for 2 when down by 14 late in game and scoring a TD.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
He's obviously talking about it happening when the dealer had a 7+ showing.
Holy crap, I totally misread that article ... I blame it on the bad cold I'm battling, or the sun was in my eyes, or something ... yeah, it says "dealer's face card," not a 3 ... wow. My bad.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
A lot of people freaked out a few years ago when Doug Pederson started doing this. Now, it's becoming more common as coaches accept it (TB did it on Saturday), but I still see folks protesting. I heard a good explanation of the math today that hopefully makes more sense.

First, it's only valid if your team is able to get a 2nd TD without the other team scoring, so that is the assumed scenario. Also, for simplification purposes, assume that an XP is 100% probability and 2Pt conv is 50% (both are slightly less but that isn't too critical). Also must assume that winning in OT is close to 50%, so this may not be applicable if your team is a heavy favorite.

Option 1: Kick the 2 XPs, go to OT. Probably of winning = 50%

Option 2: Go for 2 on the first TD. There is a 50% chance that you win the game right then and there (remember, we assumed that you will score again and kick an XP).
If you miss it, you still have a 50% chance to make the 2Pt conv on the second TD and then a 50% chance to win in OT. The probably of this scenario playing out is 50% (that you miss the 1st 2pt conv) X 50% (that you make the 2nd 2pt conv) X 50% (that you win in OT) = 12.5%.

Going for 2pt conversion leading to a total probability of winning the game = 50% (make the 1st 2pt conv) + 12.5% (miss 1st 2pt conv, but make 2nd and win in OT) = 62.5%

Seems like a hell of a lot of assumptions to make this a ‘no brainer’ precisely because of the things a scenario or formula can’t quantify, and those are momentum swings and psychological impact of failing.

How do you guarantee the other team won’t score? You have to assume in a game you are losing by two TD’s that at a minimum, the other team has shown it can score. And if it’s late? You basically do what you can to win; I’d like to see some numbers/probability on going for two after scoring your first TD in an away game where you’re favored by a single digit.

Reactions: Bison13

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
Old post, but I'll respond ... the thing there is that Norv was making the correct move, and the "Hopper" fellow is a mathematical idiot. You never hit a 16 when the dealer is showing 3. It's not even a close decision. If you were at a table filled with non-mouth-breathers and a guy like Hopper pulled up and started hitting 16 on a dealer 3, he'd get run off in short order.
You are so smart. Still an ahole, but really smart.

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
Old post, but I'll respond ... the thing there is that Norv was making the correct move, and the "Hopper" fellow is a mathematical idiot. You never hit a 16 when the dealer is showing 3. It's not even a close decision. If you were at a table filled with non-mouth-breathers and a guy like Hopper pulled up and started hitting 16 on a dealer 3, he'd get run off in short order.
The article says he stayed on 16 vs. a dealer's face card which is the wrong move, supposed to hit there. Also you are incorrect, you'd hit a soft 16 against a dealer's 3.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
The article says he stayed on 16 vs. a dealer's face card which is the wrong move, supposed to hit there. Also you are incorrect, you'd hit a soft 16 against a dealer's 3.
I already posted that I misread the article … and if they were talking about a soft hand, it’d state as such.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Seems like a hell of a lot of assumptions to make this a ‘no brainer’ precisely because of the things a scenario or formula can’t quantify, and those are momentum swings and psychological impact of failing.

How do you guarantee the other team won’t score? You have to assume in a game you are losing by two TD’s that at a minimum, the other team has shown it can score. And if it’s late? You basically do what you can to win; I’d like to see some numbers/probability on going for two after scoring your first TD in an away game where you’re favored by a single digit.
First, you should read through this thread as responses by Erial and myself will cover some of these.

On momentum, you are assuming this is a one way street - what if your team goes for 2 and misses, they will lose momentum. Well, what if they make it? Doesn't that give them more momentum? This impact cancels out. Also, if your team is down 2 TDs late in the game and you just drove to get one of them, does missing the 2 point really have that much impact to the team psyche? You still have a chance to tie the game with an 8 point play! Plenty of incentive.

You ask, what if the other team scores? Meaningless. If you had gone for the traditional extra point instead of going for 2 and the other team scores then it didn't matter if you went for 2 or 1. The parameters of this scenarios is that your team will be able to score 2 more TDs without the other team scoring, so a score by the other team is not even part of this scenario anyway.

What are the other assumptions? The math is really simple as I have shown. It shows an edge of 62.5% to win the game by going for 2 as opposed to a 50% chance by going for 1. Yes, the math is simplified on purpose so these numbers are not precise. However, 12.5% is an ENORMOUS statistical edge (this is what I think most people are missing). All factors discussed throughout this thread can make subtle differences to the percentages, but none are enough to overcome a 12.5% edge. None.

One last word. There were 2 NFL games last year where this strategy was successful and the team won. One was the GB Packers who made the playoffs by one game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erial_Lion