The MHSAA needs to be disbanded

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Prepare to be angry at your state high school athletic officials

Andrew Brown may be one of the leading track stars in Mississippi but the MHSAA banned him from participating in the 2024 track & field season. His crime? Brown dared to compete in the New Balance National Indoor Track & Field Championships in March.

Brown is a freshman at Tupelo High School who competes in cross-country and track. How good is Brown? The speedster leads the nation in the 1600m for high school athletes after he ran it in 4:18 minutes earlier this year. It was the eighth-fastest time among all freshmen who have ever competed in the event.

Someone filed a complaint against Brown with MHSAA. Jim Brown, Andrew's father, said the Tupelo High School Athletic Director notified him of the complaint the night before his son was leaving for Boston. MHSAA did not reveal who filed the complaint. It was the first time such a complaint was ever filed with MHSAA.

Brown traveled to Boston and competed, placing 87 among 114 athletes.

It turned out there is an obscure MHSAA rule that states an athlete can't compete unattached in an event not sanctioned by MHSAA. The complainant argued young Brown violated the rule by running the race without MHSAA approval after MHSAA's outdoor track and field season had already commenced on March 1. The Nationals took place March 7-10.

Brown has been banned from participating on the Tupelo High track team.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
What does unattached mean? How does baseball get around this?

Edit to add - nevermind. I see what you are saying. Stupid rule regardless.

graphicBYdesign

Aug 22, 2012
This could get interesting, the rule seems to say that you can't compete in any sporting event outside of your MHSAA team. Basketball, Soccer, Baseball/Softball, Swim, Volleyball, Golf, Tennis, etc. all have athletes that participate in club versions of their sport and compete out of state.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
This could get interesting, the rule seems to say that you can't compete in any sporting event outside of your MHSAA team. Basketball, Soccer, Baseball/Softball, Swim, Volleyball, Golf, Tennis, etc. all have athletes that participate in club versions of their sport and compete out of state.
Thats the point that everyone is bringing up. All those volleyball players that went to Atlanta and played on Easter? They are disqualified from playing on their high school teams.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not really. The rule he violated is that you can't compete unattached outside MHSAA during the MHSAA season. All those others are out of MHSAA season, so they're OK. Completely arbitrary and bullsh*t rule. And the opposing coach who filed the complaint should not be coaching children. Terrible example to set for them.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Isnt it just during the HS season though? This Tupelo kid competed in an event after the start of HS Track season. Thats how I read the issue, at least.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Not really. The rule he violated is that you can't compete unattached outside MHSAA during the MHSAA season. All those others are out of MHSAA season, so they're OK. Completely arbitrary and bullsh*t rule. And the opposing coach who filed the complaint should not be coaching children. Terrible example to set for them.
Pretty sure that club soccer routinely overlaps HS soccer in the state. I've actually seen some club soccer teams insist on just the opposite, that players not play on their HS team at all, if they are playing for the club.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Not really. The rule he violated is that you can't compete unattached outside MHSAA during the MHSAA season. All those others are out of MHSAA season, so they're OK.
Correct.

And I could almost get behind a rule like that if there was some logic behind it. I think I read it was to encourage players to play multiple sports or something like that, so they don't get an advantage. Buddy, toothpaste is out of the tube on that one.

I'm OK with the concept, as long as it's out there. Apparently nobody knew about this? I can't really tell if the kid and the parents really just didn't know or what.

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
So where is the line drawn on this? Say a local country club is having their club championship and it is during high school golf. Can a kid not play in it if they play for the high school team? What if it is just a group of high school kids together playing on a weekend and not an actual tournament? My hometown has a 5k in the fall, which is when cross country competes, and I am pretty sure a lot of the cross country kids participate in the 5k

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Travel ball can play in tournaments during season. They're just limited to a number of kids from the same HS team playing together.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
After speaking to someone with more knowledge on the subject, the rule is that he competed unattached in this meet in Boston.

If he would have been part of a track club, it would have been fine. He and his dad just went up there and competed. It really only affects sports that have an individual component, not true team sports. The gray area is that Mississippi does not have HS indoor track.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Good interview with his dad. He didn't plan to run unattached, he was going to represent Tupelo (don't think he says this in the interview but that's my understanding). Tupelo was informed the day before they left for Boston that the team would be put on probation, and Andrew suspended for 1 full year because he would be in violation of running an indoor track event after outdoor season had started. This was the original violation... even though Mississippi doesn't have indoor track.

They made the decision for him to run unattached and Tupelo removed him from the team roster. The school wouldn't get in trouble and he was no longer restricted under MSHAA rules. He's now ineligible to be added back for the remainder of the school year because he has violated the "unattached" rule.

The initial threat from MSHAA was much more serious than missing 1 season of track. Team on probation, miss spring track, and would have also missed fall cross country.

https://clayedwardsshow.podbean.com/e/brown-vs-mhsaa-interview-w-jim-brown-ep-724-clip/

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Isnt it just during the HS season though? This Tupelo kid competed in an event after the start of HS Track season. Thats how I read the issue, at least.
That is the rule, and it's been that way forever. It's not like this is something that was pulled out of a hat. This has happened in other sports. Every school knows about it.

Reactions: HuntDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Common Rule and its a rule that should be in place. Keeps a kid from being over used. Its the equivlant of playing a high school baseball season then playing travel ball on Sundays/Off-Days during the season. So a kid could basically be forced to play every day.

Its a rule everyone knows about. Kid had to be aware. School/Coaches were without a doubt aware.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
But there is no indoor season, at all, in MS so it can't be out of season..........

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
But there is no indoor season, at all, in MS so it can't be out of season..........
Track is track. Its a known rule. The rule also states very clearly indoor or outdoor.

Also the student and school was notified and told if they went this would be the consequences. Student chose to go anyway.

It doesnt matter what the rule is or how stupid people think it might be. I think its stupid for their to be a redlight at the end of my road, but I cant just choose to run it because I dont like it being there.

Its a common rule. Everyone knows it. The kid was notified of it BEFORE he went, and chose to go anyway. Case Closed. This is part of the issues with the world. People think they are above everything.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
16U USSSA Baseball Tournament in Brandon and Laurel this coming weekend.
If their season is OVER they can play. Or if they arent on school team. But they cannot play in travel ball games on the side during their high school sports season.... its just like basketball players cant play AAU on the side during basketball season.

Lots of Jr High/Middle School teams end their seasons early due to this rule, so their kids can go play travel. This also coincides with playoffs/area games for high school teams.

• Sad

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Prepare to be angry at your state high school athletic officials

Andrew Brown may be one of the leading track stars in Mississippi but the MHSAA banned him from participating in the 2024 track & field season. His crime? Brown dared to compete in the New Balance National Indoor Track & Field Championships in March.

Brown is a freshman at Tupelo High School who competes in cross-country and track. How good is Brown? The speedster leads the nation in the 1600m for high school athletes after he ran it in 4:18 minutes earlier this year. It was the eighth-fastest time among all freshmen who have ever competed in the event.

Someone filed a complaint against Brown with MHSAA. Jim Brown, Andrew's father, said the Tupelo High School Athletic Director notified him of the complaint the night before his son was leaving for Boston. MHSAA did not reveal who filed the complaint. It was the first time such a complaint was ever filed with MHSAA.

Brown traveled to Boston and competed, placing 87 among 114 athletes.

It turned out there is an obscure MHSAA rule that states an athlete can't compete unattached in an event not sanctioned by MHSAA. The complainant argued young Brown violated the rule by running the race without MHSAA approval after MHSAA's outdoor track and field season had already commenced on March 1. The Nationals took place March 7-10.

Brown has been banned from participating on the Tupelo High track team.
IMG_6628.jpeg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Track is track. Its a known rule. The rule also states very clearly indoor or outdoor.

Also the student and school was notified and told if they went this would be the consequences. Student chose to go anyway.

It doesnt matter what the rule is or how stupid people think it might be. I think its stupid for their to be a redlight at the end of my road, but I cant just choose to run it because I dont like it being there.

Its a common rule. Everyone knows it. The kid was notified of it BEFORE he went, and chose to go anyway. Case Closed. This is part of the issues with the world. People think they are above everything.

So how would that rule apply to this statement made is a response on Kingfish website? There are sponsored races year round.

"So if I am a high school runner, I can’t compete in the Watermelon 5k? Or the MS Blues Marathon? Or Boston Marathon?"

Here's the rule in the same Kingfish thread:
"A student who is a member of a MHSAA school team shall not participate in any manner in any event in a meet or a contest as an unattached contestant against a high school team, a junior high school team, a collegiate team, a club team or other unattached individuals in that same sport. One individual shall constitute a team in indoor and outdoor track and field."

OldVideoGuy

Jun 25, 2021
The big sticking point here in Tupelo is that the event he ran was Indoor Track and Field which technically is a different sport than Track and Field and is not offered by Tupelo High School.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
After speaking to someone with more knowledge on the subject, the rule is that he competed unattached in this meet in Boston.

If he would have been part of a track club, it would have been fine. He and his dad just went up there and competed. It really only affects sports that have an individual component, not true team sports. The gray area is that Mississippi does not have HS indoor track.
I'm guessing they don't enforce this for golf, tennis, or cross country. Pretty sure those youth tennis tournaments aren't filled with nothing but private school players. Not sure how many sanctioned jr. golf tournaments happen during high school season, but I know that pretty much every 5k or 10k has some local high school runners in them, even if they are during the cross country or track season.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
So how would that rule apply to this statement made is a response on Kingfish website? There are sponsored races year round.

"So if I am a high school runner, I can’t compete in the Watermelon 5k? Or the MS Blues Marathon? Or Boston Marathon?"

"A student who is a member of a MHSAA school team shall not participate in any manner in any event in a meet or a contest as an unattached contestant against a high school team, a junior high school team, a collegiate team, a club team or other unattached individuals in that same sport. One individual shall constitute a team in indoor and outdoor track and field."
Its very simple. If you show up to run a race or compete and there are school/club teams competing as school/club teams in said event. You cant participate. If its just an open run like the boston marathon, have at it... the 5K run for cancer, go right ahead.

What is even dumber is... the MHSAA contacted the school, and let both the school and the family know that the kid would be deemed ineligible if he went... he CHOSE to go anyway.

So did they think they were going to get away with it?????

Goes back to... i think this rule is stupid, i'm going to do it away. I'm above these rules. Which is a huge problem in the world today. Either way you cut it, the family is wrong to even complain about this. They knew what would happen if they went... they went anyway

• Sad

kired

Aug 22, 2008

There's an exception in the rule book for road races. Can't represent the school but can run as an individual.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The big sticking point here in Tupelo is that the event he ran was Indoor Track and Field which technically is a different sport than Track and Field and is not offered by Tupelo High School.
The school self reported what happened as soon as he competed. The school realized he was in the wrong too. They might not like the rule or ruling, but the self reporting says-- we have an athlete that screwed up and we dont want our entire athletic program to be punished for this.

• Sad

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Goes back to... i think this rule is stupid, i'm going to do it away. I'm above these rules. Which is a huge problem in the world today. Either way you cut it, the family is wrong to even complain about this. They knew what would happen if they went... they went anyway
If you listen to the interview, he does think it's a stupid rule that has always been ignored in the past, and they are appealing the decision. But they really don't expect it to be overturned. What they want is for the rule book to be changed so this can't happen again - to his kid or others. Even MHSAA has basically said it's a bad rule but not up to them to be proactive and change it. Schools have to officially ask for changes, and that's what he's pushing for.

I guess he could just roll over and say oh well, dumb rule but nothing he can do...

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login