The MHSAA needs to be disbanded

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
There's an exception in the rule book for road races. Can't represent the school but can run as an individual.
I don't care one way or the other but that rule says "in any manner in any event or contest" and that "one individual can constitute a team", just seems hypocritical

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
If you listen to the interview, he does think it's a stupid rule that has always been ignored in the past, and they are appealing the decision. But they really don't expect it to be overturned. What they want is for the rule book to be changed so this can't happen again - to his kid or others. Even MHSAA has basically said it's a bad rule but not up to them to be proactive and change it. Schools have to officially ask for changes, and that's what he's pushing for.

I guess he could just roll over and say oh well, dumb rule but nothing he can do...
exactly and i agree with this.

The MHSAA doesnt make the rules. They enforce the rules made and voted on by the schools.

If everyone thinks this is a stupid rule, then maybe it can be changed in the future for the betterment of everyone. I dont know enough about all that to know what type of box that opens for other sports if the rule changes.

Reactions: kired

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Its very simple. If you show up to run a race or compete and there are school/club teams competing as school/club teams in said event. You cant participate. If its just an open run like the boston marathon, have at it... the 5K run for cancer, go right ahead.

What is even dumber is... the MHSAA contacted the school, and let both the school and the family know that the kid would be deemed ineligible if he went... he CHOSE to go anyway.

So did they think they were going to get away with it?????

Goes back to... i think this rule is stupid, i'm going to do it away. I'm above these rules. Which is a huge problem in the world today. Either way you cut it, the family is wrong to even complain about this. They knew what would happen if they went... they went anyway
Well, they contacted him after they had purchased plane tickets and accommodations and paid race fees. I can understand eating those costs, along with the importance of running against better competition, being enough to go ahead. Which is another tragic thing about this stupidity is the person it hurts as much or more than him is his next best competitor. If they can compete with him, they are presumably in the running for college scholarships. Decreasing the competition they face isn't going to help them improve their times.

Reactions: HuntDawg

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I think we have a candidate for the whistleblower…
Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Got news, it's been done forever. You have kids in jr high on small school HS teams playing on the weekend because they dont play much for HS. When there was slow pitch softball, girls played Fastpitch all fall during season.
I’ve also ran the stop sign at the end of my road for years. But I doubt that excuse would work if a cop pulled me over for running it.

just because it’s been done for years don’t mean it’s legal.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
I’ve also ran the stop sign at the end of my road for years. But I doubt that excuse would work if a cop pulled me over for running it.

just because it’s been done for years don’t mean it’s legal.
They enforce what they want to enforce. MHSAA is straight up trash. Those rules are to protect coaches, not kids too. Anyone that believes MHSAA is in the helping kids business is an idiot. They make money and take trips. We had the highest paid director in the country at one time. Bunch of NCAA wannabes.

Reactions: patdog and snoopdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
After speaking to someone with more knowledge on the subject, the rule is that he competed unattached in this meet in Boston.

If he would have been part of a track club, it would have been fine. He and his dad just went up there and competed. It really only affects sports that have an individual component, not true team sports. The gray area is that Mississippi does not have HS indoor track.
So maybe you shouldn’t have declared that MissHSAAA should be disbanded?

idog

Aug 17, 2010
Pretty sure that club soccer routinely overlaps HS soccer in the state. I've actually seen some club soccer teams insist on just the opposite, that players not play on their HS team at all, if they are playing for the club.
club ball never overlaps and no one discourages players from playing HS ball. One exception is ECNL which is the next step up from club ball. It is during HS season. if they were made to choose they would drop HS bc ECNL is where the recruiters are. kids like HS ball it is a joke In terms of quality and development.

Last edited:

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
So where is the line drawn on this? Say a local country club is having their club championship and it is during high school golf. Can a kid not play in it if they play for the high school team? What if it is just a group of high school kids together playing on a weekend and not an actual tournament? My hometown has a 5k in the fall, which is when cross country competes, and I am pretty sure a lot of the cross country kids participate in the 5k

I need names now!!!!
These atrocities can not stand****

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
club ball never overlaps and no one discourages players from playing HS ball. One exception is ECNL which is the next step up from club ball. It is during HS season. if they were made to choose they would drop HS bc ECNL is where the recruiters are. kids like HS ball it is a joke In terms of quality and development.
They absolutely overlap, and players absolutely play both. Club runs pretty much from August to June. July if you make regionals.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
This sounds like when some NE Mississippi 1A schools complained about the Mississippi River Catholic Schools having players from across the river (Greenville, Vicksburg, Natchez). A lot of these kids attended the schools since elementary. I remember reading Cathedral had about 80 kids that were from Louisiana and they would not have been able to play sports.

So the 3 schools all left for MAIS in 2015 or 2016. It was literally done in a few weeks in the summer. I can't imagine the scheduling that had to be redone for that to happen.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I would like to know what candy *** parent or coach complained? "We can't beat him so let's get him banned." Why would someone really be worried about a high school Freshman? You have to be a really big dick head.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
They absolutely overlap, and players absolutely play both. Club runs pretty much from August to June. July if you make regionals.
They really dont. Its really easy to look this up. In Mississippi soccer runs from October to January. While other states have moved soccer into a spring sport, Mississippi has not. This is to allow those players to play their club sport from end of January thru July without interference from the HS season.

ALL of the MS club soccer events happen OUTSIDE the high school window. They begin in Feb end in June. Fall season starts in August and ends the last weeks of October. There is a HUGE break in the schedule from beginning NOV- end of JAN... why you ask.. because its high school soccer season.

In other words: All the MS travel ball and club sports, work inside the guidelines of the MissHSAA.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

kired

Aug 22, 2008

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
No, here are links to top indoor & outdoor track times from MS runners this year if you want to know who his main competition is.

https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/rankings/list/149945/m/1600m?restrict=true

https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/rankings/list/145316/m/1600m?restrict=true
I can’t see the list because I don’t have a login. I’m still sticking with the story that the complaint came from Oxford. I don’t like them and I don’t have to be rational. Doesn’t mean I’m wrong, though.

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
BUSA does not let their kids play HS ball, or they didn't when mine were coming up. Perhaps you meant in MS? That may very well be true. I'm far enough removed that I obviously couldn't recall if there was any overlap...and yes, HS soccer is typically low quality with a few exceptions.

optidawg

Oct 14, 2016
Track is track. Its a known rule. The rule also states very clearly indoor or outdoor.

Also the student and school was notified and told if they went this would be the consequences. Student chose to go anyway.

It doesnt matter what the rule is or how stupid people think it might be. I think its stupid for their to be a redlight at the end of my road, but I cant just choose to run it because I dont like it being there.

Its a common rule. Everyone knows it. The kid was notified of it BEFORE he went, and chose to go anyway. Case Closed. This is part of the issues with the world. People think they are above everything.
I know the Dad and family personally. I can promise that while they would love to see the kid get to do what he loves and is great at doing. The most important part of it for them is that the rule is changed so there is the ability to "showcase" Mississippi talent in every sport. Also, if the "coaches or admin from Tupelo didn't have their heads up their rear ends then they should have applied for a showcase clause in that same rule instead of just letting it proceed. Also my personal thought is how is this for the benefit of the kids any of the kids to remove competition from the field.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
They really don't. Its really easy to look this up. In Mississippi soccer runs from October to January. While other states have moved soccer into a spring sport, Mississippi has not. This is to allow those players to play their club sport from end of January thru July without interference from the HS season.

ALL of the MS club soccer events happen OUTSIDE the high school window. They begin in Feb end in June. Fall season starts in August and ends the last weeks of October. There is a HUGE break in the schedule from beginning NOV- end of JAN... why you ask.. because its high school soccer season.

In other words: All the MS travel ball and club sports, work inside the guidelines of the MissHSAA.
That is False. I can tell you I have been to soccer tournaments multiple times in December with ODP teams. We competed in Atlanta and Miami in the month of December and this included girls from the whole state, many who played on some the states best HS programs (West Lauderdale, Clinton, Brandon, Tupelo, MC, Hattiesburg, NW Rankin just to name a few). Also there are multiple club tournaments that run into November that MS clubs have attended (look up Vestavia Hills for 1 example) and to say MS HS soccer ends in January is false. In the past the playoffs went into February.

HuntDawg I understand you are trying to defend MHSAA but the reality is the association has turned a blind eye to enforcing this rule. This is plain and simple selective enforcement.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
That is False. I can tell you I have been to soccer tournaments multiple times in December with ODP teams. We competed in Atlanta and Miami in the month of December and this included girls from the whole state, many who played on some the states best HS programs (West Lauderdale, Clinton, Brandon, Tupelo, MC, Hattiesburg, NW Rankin just to name a few). Also there are multiple club tournaments that run into November that MS clubs have attended (look up Vestavia Hills for 1 example) and to say MS HS soccer ends in January is false. In the past the playoffs went into February.

HuntDawg I understand you are trying to defend MHSAA but the reality is the association has turned a blind eye to enforcing this rule. This is plain and simple selective enforcement.
Im actually not trying to defend anything. Think about all those states you are referring too... Atlanta, Miami, vestavia, those arent mississippi. Those states all have different rules.

Again its not hard to look up. Look it up for yourself.

There is the calendar. Season begins Oct 28th. Ends Jan 25th. State Champs are Feb 10th

Here are MS soccer tournaments. First one. Feb 16th
Fall all but 4 tournaments end before the 28th. Which Im guessing most high schoolers wont play in

As far as the state turning a blind eye. Again I'm not sure you understand how the MHSAA works. The MHSAA doesnt run around looking for people to bust. They are only there to enforce the rules. Someone has to report a violation before the MHSAA even looks into. So if it is being allowed or selective or whatever you want to call it. Its because people/schools/coaches, etc are turning a blind eye to it. Not the MHSAA. Once this incident was brought to the MHSAA, they made a fair/just ruling based on the rules... and these are the rules that are voted on by the schools/coaches/ADs.. not the MHSAA. So if you want to blame someone for the incident and rules, go blame your current administrators and ADs.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I can’t see the list because I don’t have a login. I’m still sticking with the story that the complaint came from Oxford. I don’t like them and I don’t have to be rational. Doesn’t mean I’m wrong, though.

Well, if you want to keep up your oxford hate, it looks like Oxford does have somebody within 10 seconds of him in the mile. 10 seconds is a pretty sizeable difference, and pretty hard for somebody that's already training at a high level to shave off, but not something that just can't be done in a season, especially if the kid is growing (or has recently grown and is adjusting to carrying more weight).

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Well, if you want to keep up your oxford hate, it looks like Oxford does have somebody within 10 seconds of him in the mile. 10 seconds is a pretty sizeable difference, and pretty hard for somebody that's already training at a high level to shave off, but not something that just can't be done in a season, especially if the kid is growing (or has recently grown and is adjusting to carrying more weight).
Thank you for proving my point. Oxford sucks.

Reactions: johnson86-1

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
People running for fun is proof that the Devil is real. Nobody else would me so mean as to trick poor saps into thinking running is fun.

@Lucifer Morningstar - I am on to you!
No offense Mr. Golfer, but we have had our run ins in the past. I would much prefer if you could keep from mentioning me in any of your posts. I do not want to be associated with you or your posts, thank you. Have a wonderful day.

Last edited:

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
This sounds like when some NE Mississippi 1A schools complained about the Mississippi River Catholic Schools having players from across the river (Greenville, Vicksburg, Natchez). A lot of these kids attended the schools since elementary. I remember reading Cathedral had about 80 kids that were from Louisiana and they would not have been able to play sports.

So the 3 schools all left for MAIS in 2015 or 2016. It was literally done in a few weeks in the summer. I can't imagine the scheduling that had to be redone for that to happen.
They had been openly breaking the rule against out of state players for years. Schools had complained for years. The MHSAA finally decided to enforce its own rules.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
They really dont. Its really easy to look this up. In Mississippi soccer runs from October to January. While other states have moved soccer into a spring sport, Mississippi has not. This is to allow those players to play their club sport from end of January thru July without interference from the HS season.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Im actually not trying to defend anything. Think about all those states you are referring too... Atlanta, Miami, vestavia, those arent mississippi. Those states all have different rules.

Again its not hard to look up. Look it up for yourself.

There is the calendar. Season begins Oct 28th. Ends Jan 25th. State Champs are Feb 10th

Here are MS soccer tournaments. First one. Feb 16th
Fall all but 4 tournaments end before the 28th. Which Im guessing most high schoolers wont play in

As far as the state turning a blind eye. Again I'm not sure you understand how the MHSAA works. The MHSAA doesnt run around looking for people to bust. They are only there to enforce the rules. Someone has to report a violation before the MHSAA even looks into. So if it is being allowed or selective or whatever you want to call it. Its because people/schools/coaches, etc are turning a blind eye to it. Not the MHSAA. Once this incident was brought to the MHSAA, they made a fair/just ruling based on the rules... and these are the rules that are voted on by the schools/coaches/ADs.. not the MHSAA. So if you want to blame someone for the incident and rules, go blame your current administrators and ADs.
Didn't the kid run out of state in a competition that isn't even offered in MS. If your agrument is true and the kid ran in MA, why would it matter to MHSAA.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Didn't the kid run out of state in a competition that isn't even offered in MS. If your agrument is true and the kid ran in MA, why would it matter to MHSAA.

Because the kid still is on a team in MS, that is under the MHSAA umbrella. And the rules state indoor OR outdoor track.

The argument made in the above is that the cities your mentioning do have travel soccer going at the time but they are out of state so they arent worried with MS rules.

MS and MS Club soccer does not overlap high school season b/c they know its against the rules. As I posted, club soccer in MS does schedule an event until after the HS season ends. First tournament in 2024 is a week after the state championships. Links are in the post above.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
The MHSAA doesnt make the rules. They enforce the rules made and voted on by the schools.

Isn't there a growing and growing body of caselaw where the NCAA tried to make this point in court and has gotten blasted every single time?

idog

Aug 17, 2010
they do not overlap for those in HS. there is a fall season and a spring season with a winter break for all age groups, though some younger age groups (earlier than HS) will play into November.

idog

Aug 17, 2010
BUSA does not let their kids play HS ball, or they didn't when mine were coming up. Perhaps you meant in MS? That may very well be true. I'm far enough removed that I obviously couldn't recall if there was any overlap...and yes, HS soccer is typically low quality with a few exceptions.
i do mean MS. we are talking about a MHSAA rule. BUSA is B'ham, right?

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
So would this include youth individual tennis tournaments? Swimming? Ect Maybe I’m not understanding

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login