The Price of Poker just went up: MC offering full tuition scholarships to all students who are Mississippi residents...

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
MC about to start dominating some DIII (or NAIA?) sports.

That really is pretty incredible. I would love to know what it takes to endow a program like that.

Just some rough numbers. If they are looking at having 4,000 instate students (their enrollment is 5k now; guessing it's more than 20% out of state but it may not be after this program gets going) and have an average of $10k per student to cover after federal and state and other grants are applied (annual tuition is I think ~$19k, so assuming other grants cover about 47% of tuition), that's a $40,000,000 a year tab, which can be covered indefinitely with, what, a $1B endowment?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Clinton is relatively safe, has drinkable water, and garbage pick-up.
Between the upcoming growth of the school and refugees from Jackson seeking the aforementioned first world amenities, now would be a good time to invest in Clinton real estate.

Reactions: Joe Schmedlap

patdog

May 28, 2007
"Eligible" students

To receive the Speed Scholarship:​

1. Be a resident of Mississippi.
  2. Be admitted to MC by December 1, 2022.
  3. Pay the housing fee by January 23, 2023.
  4. Live on campus in an MC residence hall.
  5. Fill out the federal and state aid applications.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
"Eligible" students

Mississippians. (and Germansed by @patdog)

From the press release:

A new scholarship at Mississippi College, named in honor of the longest-serving board member in the school's history, will provide full tuition for all admitted students from the state of Mississippi.

Beginning with those enrolling at MC for the fall 2023 semester, eligible students from the Magnolia State who receive the Leland Speed Scholarship will pay no tuition after all federal, state, and institutional grants and scholarships are first applied.

No other institution of higher learning in the state offers full-tuition scholarships for all qualified students from Mississippi.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Must live on campus and pay for food ticket. They're also going to include a required athletics pass. I don't know the exact figure but it's going to be close to $12-$15K is rumor. School might be free, but it's still going to be expensive.

Last edited:

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
If I'm reading that correctly, it doesn't cover the cost of a dorm. The scholarship requires you to live in a dorm.

MC dorms are $3700-3000 per semester with a roommate.

regardless that's a very nice perk that will give them an advantage but not a game changer.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
The Big Short Christian GIF

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

How is this even possible? MCs endowment is less than $100 mill. They currently have around 1420 instate students. Thats around $28 mill annually for just tuition. For a 5% drawdown you would need over $500 million. And that’s assuming your instate numbers stay the same. And in theory that number would shoot up bc of the scholarship.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
How is this even possible? MCs endowment is less than $100 mill. They currently have around 1420 instate students. Thats around $28 mill annually for just tuition. For a 5% drawdown you would need over $500 million. And that’s assuming your instate numbers stay the same. And in theory that number would shoot up bc of the scholarship.
Word on the street is Leland Speed's gift was significantly north of $500 million.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Must live on campus and pay for food ticket. They're also going to include a required athletics pass. I don't know the exact figure but it's going to be close to $12-$15K is rumor. School might be free, but it's still going to be expensive.
Sounds like that Spirit Airlines ticket before they charge you each way for a carry on.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
But in order to get the scholarship you have to attend college at MC...
Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF
I've already told my kids I'm not saving for their college. If telling them they are going to MC unless they get a full ride somewhere else doesn't motivate them, I don't know what will.

Reactions: POTUS

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016

The story as I heard it is that MC isn't currently utilizing a significant portion of their on campus housing capacity. The scholarship recipient has to live on campus for 8 semesters. They are going to offset some tuition losses with revenue gains from currently idle housing capacity. This is still a tremendous opportunity for Mississippi kids financed with a huge gift.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If I'm reading that correctly, it doesn't cover the cost of a dorm. The scholarship requires you to live in a dorm.

regardless that's a very nice perk that will give them an advantage but not a game changer.
That is pretty in line on dorms. https://www.housing.msstate.edu/residence-halls/costs/

Meal plans at state:
  • On-campus dining plans for 2022-23: $3,226 for Silver, $3,376 for Gold, $3,526 for Platinum

Not sure what MC's meal plan is like, but it still seems like a game changer to me. At least for the people that would consider MC at all.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
$12k a year isn't nothing, but we claim the cost of housing and dining is almost $11k. https://www.admissions.msstate.edu/about/cost-of-attendance.

If you're not living at home, what's the minimum amount you're going to be able to spend on rent and utilities for a decent place? Even with roommates and in relatively low cost MS, it's going to be $500 a month for anything decent I assume? And that may not get anything decent in a lot of places. So for 9 months, that's $4,500 of the cost right there that you are going to have to spend unless you are living with your parents. Spending $10 a day on food gets you to $2,730 over 9 months. So it starts to look pretty cheap if you are comparing it to a pretty meager budget of what you would spend to get housing and food for 9 months.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

That’s less than $850/month with water, electricity and internet included.

not terrible

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
That is pretty in line on dorms. https://www.housing.msstate.edu/residence-halls/costs/

Meal plans at state:
  • On-campus dining plans for 2022-23: $3,226 for Silver, $3,376 for Gold, $3,526 for Platinum

Not sure what MC's meal plan is like, but it still seems like a game changer to me. At least for the people that would consider MC at all.
What's the difference that $300 buys you between Silver and Platinum?

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
So if you have to live on campus for 8 semesters, if after 7 you decide to transfer or move off campus, do u have to pay back 7 semesters worth of tuition?

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
But in order to get the scholarship you have to attend college at MC...
Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF
Exactly, I went to MC my freshman year to play football. Football was great, but the school was awful.

There was a mandatory freshman meeting one day in which the dean and several other higher ups spoke to the whole freshman class and chastised the freshman girls for wearing shorts that were too short. I knew at that point, I had to leave and attend a real college. One of the best decisions ever.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Exactly, I went to MC my freshman year to play football. Football was great, but the school was awful.

There was a mandatory freshman meeting one day in which the dean and several other higher ups spoke to the whole freshman class and chastised the freshman girls for wearing shorts that were too short. I knew at that point, I had to leave and attend a real college. One of the best decisions ever.
A girl I knew at State had started at MC and transferred. She said she had never lied, cheated, and snuck around so much in her life as she did at MC. Basically same story as you except she was one of the girls getting chastised and she didn't play football.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Here's a geezer moment. Back in my day I paid $400 a semester for tuition & dorm fees at State in the mid 70's. Books cost about $100 per semester. Of course starting salaries for students right out of college were around $11-14k for accounting majors to put things in perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: LocalBeachBum

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017

We used to call MC the Baptist Prison.

Reactions: patdog

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
A girl I knew at State had started at MC and transferred. She said she had never lied, cheated, and snuck around so much in her life as she did at MC. Basically same story as you except she was one of the girls getting chastised and she didn't play football.
Had a girlfriend at MC back in the day. No boys in the dorm. I was her "brother" and helping her move furniture around so i was admitted.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m still surprised there are enough kids out there to fill up the enrollments at places like MC. I don’t know anyone who goes there that isn’t on scholarship.

I guess Liberty is the same way. I left that sub-sect of society long ago. Guess I forgot how weird it was. Devils juice n stuff.

Reactions: patdog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Theoretically, wouldn't it be capped at the number of dorm rooms (times 2) available since they have to live on campus?

I'm not sure how many dorm rooms they have.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I’m still surprised there are enough kids out there to fill up the enrollments at places like MC. I don’t know anyone who goes there that isn’t on scholarship.

I guess Liberty is the same way. I left that sub-sect of society long ago. Guess I forgot how weird it was. Devils juice n stuff.

I have relatives that have gone there and as far as I can tell, it was because the parents thought there was less heathen like activity.

Even with all the rule breaking and sneaking around, I would assume there is at least a little less pressure for girls to slut it up since there are at least some restraints on the on-campus competition. And I can see why that would be enticing to girls that are tired of trying to date in a market where they don't want to have sex but plenty of other girls do.

Not sure how they fill out the male population. I assume it's 99.9% scholarship and athletes?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

It is worth saying that I think its amazing that a college/university is providing tuition at no cost. That is huge and can have a generational impact, especially when you consider that only 21% of Mississippians over 25 years old have a college degree.
Tuition at no cost can only help move the state towards this goal- https://mississippitoday.org/2022/11/04/mississippi-workforce-college-degree/

Now with that said, I have no idea how MC is still around. Why on earth is that place appealing?
- the average ACT is 24. It isnt some academically impressive place.
- they managed to opt out of Title9 so they can legally discriminate.
For those who need a small college experience, there are less repressive colleges and more academically prestigious colleges.

To each their own and all, but some things just remain confusing.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login