The professionalism on Barstool pre-game is amazing

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Posters have mailed multiple times that they enjoyed the broadcast last night because it wasn't Beth Mowens.

Why the 17 is she the bar?
There are countless announcers and color commentators that are better than her.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
I do like having a homer there, but neither of those two dudes did all that much homework to prepare. Yet I still like it. And they're showing others that if you find your niche, you just need to be good enough to earn a living.
I loved it, it should be mandatory for all announcers to have cash on the game. Didn't bother me at all that they were pulling for ASU, hell at the end I was cheering of the guy to shoot a 3 and for us to score one more time. You can't take it serious, just entertainment.... to each their own, but I loved it.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I loved it, it should be mandatory for all announcers to have cash on the game. Didn't bother me at all that they were pulling for ASU, hell at the end I was cheering of the guy to shoot a 3 and for us to score one more time. You can't take it serious, just entertainment.... to each their own, but I loved it.
But it's not an entertainment game for fun. It's a game that counts.

Reactions: Dawgg

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
How old are you? I’m just curious whether the younger crowd likes it while us old bastards don’t.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
That broadcast is fine (outside of trying to influence bets from the press table) for once or twice a year in OOC games or odd ball tourneys. I had a few laughs. However, there's not a person on this board that wouldn't go completely insane having to listen to that on the regular - even the posters that want to blow Dave bc he's Dave.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I muted it. Barstool is like a bunch frat boys with money that never grew up. Bunch of frat dudes in their 40s
As if that’s not enough, there’s nothing like casually tossing in a comment during the broadcast about making a $2k bet as if it’s an amount that you wipe your *** with on a normal day. Was definitely getting Kardashian vibes throughout the game as I asked myself… how in the 17 are these guys famous?

Reactions: FlotownDawg

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
Is it a great recruiting opportunity? If so, how?
I don't see why this is any better than playing ASU on a neutral court for an espn game. Or on a team's court, for that matter.

Why was last night a great recruiting opportunity?
They have influence in the younger market. Mississippi State being linked to Barstool puts the university in front of a bunch of teenagers and potential basketball players. The broadcast wasn't for me because I have young kids, but a high school kid sees it and says I can go to State and play in games like the Barstool classic. I can meet Big Cat and El Presidente. It is all about getting our name out there and letting people know we are not stuck in the mud of the past.

Reactions: GhostOfJackie

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Don't care to watch a game not professionally called. Barstool should stick to the podcasts and gambling and internet talk shows. Leave the broadcasts to the big boys. Sponsor if they want but they will never compete with espn or fox
They only do one basketball night and one bowl game each year. It's not like they are trying to get into the same business as ESPN, and the commentator portion is not really a money maker for them. I agree it was a bit annoying at times, but I've seen Dave and Dan announce some games/fights that were funny as hell. It was not their best night I agree. Dave needs to stop throwing 100k on November college basketball games and maybe he would have been in a better mood and made it more enjoyable.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I’m growing tired of playing these tournaments that are not broadcast on ESPN or SEC network. This is not the first time I was required to download some crappy app to watch our teams play and or pay some extra fee to watch. Selmon/coaches need to make this a priority that any time we play away games that the games are broadcast on MAJOR networks. We the fans deserve it. This is for baseball also.
Dude, it was on youtube for free. Literally the easiest app to watch ANYTHING on. It was even easier for me to watch this than navigating the ESPN app. Even my parents (in their late 60's) found it easy to watch.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
The athletic program makes $$$ by playing this game.
I guess Glfr doesn't understand the popularity and reach that Barstool has with young people. I get it's not everyone's cup of tea, and at times I get
sick of seeing other people's degenerate gambling addiction take center stage and effect the quality of the broadcast (I'm looking at you Portnoy), but it's a good decision for us to play in this every year. Lots of young people (hopefully recruits) saw us absolutely dismantle a PAC 12 team last night and I hope they follow us this season. I think we will be good this year.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
I don’t mind at all having a game on a unique platform and it’s probably a good thing. For announcer commentary lots of times I sync up our own radio broadcast regardless,, just prefer announcers that know our team and focus on the MSU side. Didn’t have any interest in listening to the barstool guys, don’t know who any of them are except for Brandon Walker and the head guy.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I’m growing tired of playing these tournaments that are not broadcast on ESPN or SEC network. This is not the first time I was required to download some crappy app to watch our teams play and or pay some extra fee to watch. Selmon/coaches need to make this a priority that any time we play away games that the games are broadcast on MAJOR networks. We the fans deserve it. This is for baseball also.
that crappy new app, YouTube. Yeah they probably wont make it as long Arnett

Last edited:

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I hope we play in the Barstool Classic every year. Also, it is a great recruiting opportunity. Barstool is bigger than ESPN for anyone 25 and younger.
I agree but I heard Dave say something to the effect that is the last year that are doing it and Barstool Bowl

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I didn’t know the commentators had an impact on the result of the game.
Actually, this did sort of concern me. You’ve basically got the promoter of the event, one of the play by play announcers, actively trying to influence parts of the game because he made a bet on it.

I feel like him yelling at Collins to shoot the 3 every time he touches it because a bet was made that he would hit a 3 starts to enter a gray area and could become a problem.

Again, this isn’t some rando in the crowd. It’s the president of the company running the event sitting at the primary press table directly on the sideline.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Actually, this did sort of concern me. You’ve basically got the promoter of the event, one of the play by play announcers, actively trying to influence parts of the game because he made a bet on it.

I feel like him yelling at Collins to shoot the 3 every time he touches it because a bet was made that he would hit a 3 starts to enter a gray area and could become a problem.

Again, this isn’t some rando in the crowd. It’s the president of the company running the event sitting at the primary press table directly on the sideline.
Maybe if he had started firing 3s left and right but he didn't attempt one, that I can remember, down the stretch when they were yelling

Reactions: Darryl Steight

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I don't see why this is any better than playing ASU on a neutral court for an espn game. Or on a team's court, for that matter.

O wait, it just hit me. Glfr is a barstool/Dave hater because Dave goes on Tucker and he's in that group who despises barstool because they don't tote water for the left like every other giant entertainment outlet.

I get it. Now, I can go on with my day....... (sorry for completely ruining this thread)

Reactions: hatfieldms

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Are you serious?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Maybe if he had started firing 3s left and right but he didn't attempt one, that I can remember, down the stretch when they were yelling
Collins didn’t, but what’s to say the next guy won’t be influenced?

I’m just saying it’s not great.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

We get it. You don’t like white rich successful people.

• Haha
Reactions: GhostOfJackie

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
They have influence in the younger market. Mississippi State being linked to Barstool puts the university in front of a bunch of teenagers and potential basketball players. The broadcast wasn't for me because I have young kids, but a high school kid sees it and says I can go to State and play in games like the Barstool classic. I can meet Big Cat and El Presidente. It is all about getting our name out there and letting people know we are not stuck in the mud of the past.
Raising new generation of entitled douche bag frat bros and degenerative gamblers

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
"I can help Big Cat and El Presidente make money based directly on my play."

I can see there are plenty of people here who feel the need to defend Dave Portnoy's honor in the face of fair criticism and a glaringly obvious problem, so to each their own. I think it's a problem for the promoter of an event to talk openly to the players in that event about the money he's gambled on specific pieces of the outcome of that event and I'll just leave it at that.

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
"I can help Big Cat and El Presidente make money based directly on my play."

I can see there are plenty of people here who feel the need to defend Dave Portnoy's honor in the face of fair criticism and a glaringly obvious problem, so to each their own. I think it's a problem for the promoter of an event to talk openly to the players in that event about the money he's gambled on specific pieces of the outcome of that event and I'll just leave it at that.
I get it, and I am not defending Dave. I am just stating the facts about the market today. It is all about building a brand. The way to make money is by getting your name out there. Some of the biggest earners in NIL have the biggest social media followings. Dave brings eyes to your profile. I don't like it but it is the world we live in. It is capitalism and marketing at its finest.

Reactions: Dawgg

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
O wait, it just hit me. Glfr is a barstool/Dave hater because Dave goes on Tucker and he's in that group who despises barstool because they don't tote water for the left like every other giant entertainment outlet.

I get it. Now, I can go on with my day....... (sorry for completely ruining this thread)
Politics have fried your brain. Please don't make a thread about how good or ****** a sports broadcast is bc of their politics (and made no reference to in the broadcast).

You people say you want politics-free broadcasting yet here you are blowing Dave bc of his politics. Maybe you're the problem?

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
I'm glad they had a tournament that we got to watch for free. And I'm glad there is an alternative to watching the whatever it is ESPN puts out.

But that TotalFratMove Sports broadcast was absolute hot-stankin garbage. Wannabe gonzo sports journalism at it's worst. Stop making stupid people famous

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I knew that the Boomers would hate this broadcast. “They aren’t professional” Yeah, that’s the point. To make it more fun and emphasize in game gambling.
Y’all can listen to Beth Mowens bore you to death for the other 40 games this year. It’s okay to be different and have a little fun one game out of the year.
"Boomers"? I haven't seen a positive comment yet from anybody

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
I'm glad they had a tournament that we got to watch for free. And I'm glad there is an alternative to watching the whatever it is ESPN puts out.

But that TotalFratMove Sports broadcast was absolute hot-stankin garbage. Wannabe gonzo sports journalism at it's worst. Stop making stupid people famous
If there's only one game played, is it a tournament?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You aren’t allowed to get mad a glfr when you think he hijacks a conversation if you are going to say crap like this
I don’t get mad at glfr for hijacking convos.
I think his ridiculous takes are hilarious and I call him out on them.

BUT I probably shouldn’t have derailed this thread.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login