The Silver Lining

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Ole Miss just won their first baseball national championship. Congrats and 17 'em.

However, every time I see it mentioned by the national media it's in the context of a back-to-back title run for the STATE. We keep getting mentioned with respect to THEIR title. I find that funny as Hell, and it HAS to rile them up at least a little.

Because even though they won it this year, we got there first.

Now the race to #2 is on, bitches. Bring it.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
It'll be good for youth baseball around the state probably, that's a good thing.

I've just accepted it now. We should have won the damn thing in the 80s, strike 1. We shouldn't have gotten complacent in the early 2000s, strike 2. Either of those would have netted multiple natties by now, and Ole Miss would not have risen. But we avoided the strike out, got our natty. But we you wait until strike 2 you don't get the best pitches, so while we got the base knock to win the game, we didn't hit the bomb that took out everything in its wake. We now have to share the glory with them. But it could be worse. Much worse.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
It'll be good for youth baseball around the state probably, that's a good thing.

I've just accepted it now. We should have won the damn thing in the 80s, strike 1. We shouldn't have gotten complacent in the early 2000s, strike 2. Either of those would have netted multiple natties by now, and Ole Miss would not have risen. But we avoided the strike out, got our natty. But we you wait until strike 2 you don't get the best pitches, so while we got the base knock to win the game, we didn't hit the bomb that took out everything in its wake. We now have to share the glory with them. But it could be worse. Much worse.

We are still the superior program but it’s a closer conversation than it should be. OM/Bianco crushed some narratives about their program this postseason for sure.

Championship #1 for us should have come before 2021, no doubt about it. But I guess only having one title is still better than zero, it must be super frustrating to be an Arkansas fan the last few years and come so close so many times with nothing to show for it.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Another silver lining is that the national media (that I've heard) is officially ignoring the sham UM football national championship.

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
I'm just curious...would you have rather won the NC this year or last year? I FEEL that us winning first sort of takes the shine off of theirs. To me now OM feels like that little sibling that couldn't stand the attention so they have to parrot the older sibling's behavior in order to get attention, too.

fireworks4jeffy

Apr 28, 2015
I think it's cool, tbh. Southern Miss hosted Supers, State and OM are national title winners. Extremely good for the state of Mississippi. State winning last year doesn't make OM winning this year any less special, and vice versa.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
There's not any silver linings to them winning it all. None. Zero. Nada. We claim to be the baseball school of the state, and they've just equaled our greatest accomplishment. Nothing good comes from this. Nothing.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
There's not any silver linings to them winning it all. None. Zero. Nada. We claim to be the baseball school of the state, and they've just equaled our greatest accomplishment. Nothing good comes from this. Nothing.
We still are solidly ahead of them. Now that we are both in the natty club, you can compare a number of different things, from head to head record, NCAA appearances, Omaha appearances, conference titles. We pretty much double them up everywhere. Our stadium is also cooler, where there's is a relic of the 2000s.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I think it's cool, tbh. Southern Miss hosted Supers, State and OM are national title winners. Extremely good for the state of Mississippi. State winning last year doesn't make OM winning this year any less special, and vice versa.

**** Ole Miss. I hope they lose every game imaginable.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
We still are solidly ahead of them. Now that we are both in the natty club, you can compare a number of different things, from head to head record, NCAA appearances, Omaha appearances, conference titles. We pretty much double them up everywhere. Our stadium is also cooler, where there's is a relic of the 2000s.

We are, but a Natty trumps all, and they are now on equal ground with us there. Not good.

fireworks4jeffy

Apr 28, 2015
I don't know how you can be so sour about it all, I mean, y'all have so much to celebrate, like that really neat mural on the Shipley's.

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
We listened to the game on ESPN radio and the announcers made mention of their three “dubious” national football titles.

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
Some of you are overacting...

once the dust settles, the worst part of all of this will be posters HighLifeRebel and FireworksForJeffy crawling out of the woodworks...and that's an easy fix.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

At this point and current time, how are we ahead of them as a program any more? They have a more recent national title and more recent sec tournament title, and they won the regular season title in 2009. In the last 20 years, we've tournament champs twice, regular season champs once, prior to that one in 2016 we haven't won the conference out right since 89. In the last twenty years we've made it to Omaha 5 times to their two times. So we've made it more but we only won it once. So they have now. So we have a lot of work to do. After this year there is not a lot of separation there. Because right now all we are hanging out hat on in the last twenty years is that we have been to Omaha more. Which doesn't mean as much now that we have both won one. Now it's a titled race.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
If National titles mean everything. Which in sports isn't that point? To be the last standing? If we want to be elite, got to have more than one title. Got to not accept missing the tournament.

Chris Mannix

Dec 29, 2016

Completely agree. Yes it is good for Mississippi, but that does not mean it is good for State.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login