The team that would beat the Dream Team

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I haven't been following, but it looks like the US will go 3-0 in the group stage and be the highest seed in the knockout stage.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Is currently struggling with Puerto Rico.

That is all. Carry on.

They won by 21 and their win margin for the Olympics so far is also currently at 21.
A game is 4 quarters.

The argument I've seen play out over and over is whether the 2012 US team would have beaten the Drem Team.

As for whether or not this team would beat the Dream Team, I have no idea but would love to see those games!

Today's game is completely different from '92.
FIBA rules are different, court dimensions are different, and style of play is different.
- Maybe '92 Malone and Robinson would be worthless in today's game since they didn't shoot from deep and would have to extend out on D to cover Embid and Davis who can score from anywhere.
- Maybe '92 Barkley would struggle against James who is larger, faster, and more athletic. There was no opposing player in '92 that came close to Barkley. Add in Bam and Edwards as others who would match up great against Barkley on D and work him on offense.
- The speed of White, Edwards, and Haliburton would cause chaos for the '92 guards.

Look at how many Olympic players were in the NBA in '92, and how many used to be.
Then look at how many Olympic players are in the NBA in '24, and how many used to be.
The level of international competition is exponentially higher in '24.
++ Malone and Robinson wouldn't be worthless in today's game. They wouldn't be able to play how they did in '92 though++

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Does anybody else find Dwayne Wade unlistenable during these basketball broadcasts? I’m ok with the NBC announce teams going a little homer for Team USA, but goddam, he is over the top. You can’t be this hype about an unguarded NBA player dunking against a team from some tiny country in East Africa. Like, dial it down, man.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
No they wouldn’t. You’re letting nostalgia get in the way. Bird could barely move on that Dream Team.
Bird was a total non factor, there in name only... best story about him was they played a group of NCAA all stars to get ready before they went overseas. they were overconfident and got beat. the next day they played them again and Rodney Rogers taunted Bird by saying he hadn't hit a jumper since 1985. they say Bird then ran Rogers all up and down the court nailing jumpers. btw, the college team had C Webber, Grant Hill ,Bobby Hurley and several more of that type.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Does anybody else find Dwayne Wade unlistenable during these basketball broadcasts? I’m ok with the NBC announce teams going a little homer for Team USA, but goddam, he is over the top. You can’t be this hype about an unguarded NBA player dunking against a team from some tiny country in East Africa. Like, dial it down, man.
Your Dwayne Wade drinking game is how many times he says “he is him”.

Reactions: Dawgg

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
In their prime the First and Real Dream would smoke these clowns. They would not have an answer for Jordan or Bird.
I’m a Celtics fan, so it pains me to say this. Bird could barely walk when he was on the dream team because of his back. He was on the team because he needed to be. Jordan insisted on it.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
They won by 21 and their win margin for the Olympics so far is also currently at 21.
A game is 4 quarters.

The argument I've seen play out over and over is whether the 2012 US team would have beaten the Drem Team.

As for whether or not this team would beat the Dream Team, I have no idea but would love to see those games!

FIBA rules are different, court dimensions are different, and style of play is different.
- Maybe '92 Malone and Robinson would be worthless in today's game since they didn't shoot from deep and would have to extend out on D to cover Embid and Davis who can score from anywhere.
- Maybe '92 Barkley would struggle against James who is larger, faster, and more athletic. There was no opposing player in '92 that came close to Barkley. Add in Bam and Edwards as others who would match up great against Barkley on D and work him on offense.
- The speed of White, Edwards, and Haliburton would cause chaos for the '92 guards.

Look at how many Olympic players were in the NBA in '92, and how many used to be.
Then look at how many Olympic players are in the NBA in '24, and how many used to be.
++ Malone and Robinson wouldn't be worthless in today's game. They wouldn't be able to play how they did in '92 though++
The 92 team faced 5 NBA players, this years team will face at least 59 NBA players. It’s a different game.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I’m a Celtics fan, so it pains me to say this. Bird could barely walk when he was on the dream team because of his back. He was on the team because he needed to be. Jordan insisted on it.
I said in their prime.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
The 2017 Warriors would sweep the 96 Bulls
Michael Jordan Lol GIF by ESPN

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
The 2017 Warriors would sweep the 96 Bulls
90’s rules or todays rules? If the bulls weren’t allowed to play physically like they did in the 90’s it would be a problem for them. That 2017 warriors team would cause spacing issues for any team EVER. That being said, suggesting any team is going to sweep Jordan at his prime? Come on, man

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Those guys were clowning tonight. Amazing how good they are.
I would prefer to see 17's given than clown shows. These guys are embarrassing my country and shouldn't have signed up to play if this is their attitude. Kobe shaking his head (hopefully from above and not with morningstar).
The 92 team faced 5 NBA players, this years team will face at least 59 NBA players. It’s a different game.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I would prefer to see 17's given than clown shows. These guys are embarrassing my country and shouldn't have signed up to play if this is their attitude. Kobe shaking his head (hopefully from above and not with morningstar).
How are they embarrassing your country? I’m going to guess you haven’t watched a second of it.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
The have won by 26, 17, and 19. Explain to me exactly how they are embarrassing you? The dream team sleepwalked at the beginning of the gold medal game before putting their foot on the gas.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
The have won by 26, 17, and 19. Explain to me exactly how they are embarrassing you? The dream team sleepwalked at the beginning of the gold medal game before putting their foot on the gas.
I haven't been keeping up just seeing threads where we're struggling agin S.Sudan & Costs Rica and I got kinda pissed off. In all actuality I have very few schits to give.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
A game is 4 quarters.

Regarding Barkley:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I love the “they’re struggling” comments in the five minutes of the first quarter of the game. Typical Sixpack.

Reactions: HailStout

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
It was Puerto Rico and they struggled against South Sudan in exhibition. They beat them by 20 in group play game 1. Both have a couple of NBA players each.
Thanks. In hoops I've never had a prob with teams just content to trade buckets once up by 20. Not fired up outta the gates sucks but now educated I know "embarrassing" was a poor description.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I haven't been keeping up just seeing threads where we're struggling agin S.Sudan & Costs Rica and I got kinda pissed off. In all actuality I have very few schits to give.
You don't know all the teams that the US played against...it's only 3 teams so far.

You didn't know there are a shitton more nba players on foreign rosters compared to '92.

You didn't watch the games and were ranting about the team embarrassing your country.

You are what is actually embarrassing.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login