The team that would beat the Dream Team

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
No one truly knows how a matchup against the Dream team would’ve gone, but I can tell you one thing. Jordan, Clyde, and Pippen wouldn’t have allowed 15/29 from 3

For all the scoring range that this era now has, they lack in perimeter defense

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Also imagine the clueless morons who try to say Jokic isn't MVP-worthy. I mean c'mon. Be more racist why don't you. Dude is carrying a bunch of nobodies, possibly to a gold medal game.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
No one truly knows how a matchup against the Dream team would’ve gone, but I can tell you one thing. Jordan, Clyde, and Pippen wouldn’t have allowed 15/29 from 3

For all the scoring range that this era now has, they lack in perimeter defense
15-39. They made 0 threes in the 4th.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Also imagine the clueless morons who try to say Jokic isn't MVP-worthy. I mean c'mon. Be more racist why don't you. Dude is carrying a bunch of nobodies, possibly to a gold medal game.
How frequently is it argued that Jokic isn't mvp worthy?
He has won 3 of the last 4 mvp awards- nobody with actual knowledge would argue he isn't mvp worthy.

There will always be absurd takes by some in life, and the number who argue what you are claiming is a really small number of people.
You didn't create a strawman, but it's not far off.

TilloDwg

Aug 25, 2012
The biggest factor then and now is the Dream Team took this **** seriously....last few Olympic teams don't give a 17. Just a different breed of athlete back in the day

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
He has won 3 of the last 4 mvp awards- nobody with actual knowledge would argue he isn't mvp worthy.

There will always be absurd takes by some in life, and the number who argue what you are claiming is a really small number of people.
The absurd takes were widespread. Blatant. It's nowhere near a straw man.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Shaq thought SGA should have won this past season. He went on an odd rant when mvp was announced and even said Jokic was the best player, which shows he recognized Jokic's accomplishment.
His comment was met with immediate push back on live TV, which shows it was an odd take an is in the minority, like I mentioned.
Also, Shaq supported Jokic winning in other seasons...so his recent complaint is a dumb take, but doesn't seem racist.

Who else disliked it?...some other shock jock TV personalities who make a living off of controversial hot takes?
Yeah- I don't actually take most things that group says with much seriousness or validity.

Just seems nuts to claim those who didn't want him as mvp are racist. Pretty wide brush to paint with there.
And so few actually think it, it's not a view to try and push as being widespread.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The biggest factor then and now is the Dream Team took this **** seriously....last few Olympic teams don't give a 17. Just a different breed of athlete back in the day
That’s just silly. You can’t tell me they don’t care and yall have got to realize their competition is much better every Olympic cycle. I want you to show me how they haven’t cared in the last few Olympics. I’ll wait….

The Dream Team absolutely cruised in the 92 Olympics because they were playing nobodies. It’s like if you let Alabama play a Juco football schedule.

Reactions: mstateglfr

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022

Shaq openly campaigned against him on the most watched NBA show there is. Gilbert Arenas said he was the worst MVP in 40 years.

Do me a favor and take your same argument and apply it to any number of situations where the media screams “rAysiSuM!!!!”

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
It was everywhere. I doubt there are many on this board who consume as much NBA as I do besides probably Desoto. I don’t think it was racism. I think it is the fact that Jokic just isn’t super exciting to watch unless you really like fundamentals. He is also a hard sell to a casual fan. He also looks like he ate a box of doughnuts on the way to the arena. He doesn’t give great soundbites. I personally think all of these things are awesome, but they have to get clicks / views. The easiest way to do this is to make arguments he shouldn’t win.

there is simply no way anyone who truly is a basketball expert could believe he hasn’t been the MVP

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Shaq openly campaigned against him on the most watched NBA show there is. Gilbert Arenas said he was the worst MVP in 40 years.

Do me a favor and take your same argument and apply it to any number of situations where the media screams “rAysiSuM!!!!”
Yeah, I mentioned Shaq already. I also said he was supportive of Jokic winning mvp before, so it isn't just a race based decision...unless you are trying to argue it's selective and inconsistent racism.
Shaq thought SGA was screwed and was frustrated he would need to 'start over' next season, and then tied it to how Shaq felt he was screwed a few times.

It was a really dumb take, it was classless, but it was easy to see he was basing it on emotion and not racism.

As for Arenas...Um, OK. Why the 17 do you or anyone even listen to Arenas? And how the 17 is his opinion being known?
It's Arenas- the dude is unimportant.
Yeah, maybe he is racist- he is irrelevant and his views on something don't make it 'widespread' or whatever.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It was everywhere. I doubt there are many on this board who consume as much NBA as I do besides probably Desoto. I don’t think it was racism. I think it is the fact that Jokic just isn’t super exciting to watch unless you really like fundamentals. He is also a hard sell to a casual fan. He also looks like he ate a box of doughnuts on the way to the arena. He doesn’t give great soundbites. I personally think all of these things are awesome, but they have to get clicks / views. The easiest way to do this is to make arguments he shouldn’t win.

there is simply no way anyone who truly is a basketball expert could believe he hasn’t been the MVP
That’s exactly why they complain about his MVP awards. He’s boring, not flashy….but he’s an absolute machine. One of the best passers for a big man youll see anywhere.

Reactions: HailStout

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Yeah, I mentioned Shaq already. I also said he was supportive of Jokic winning mvp before, so it isn't just a race based decision...unless you are trying to argue it's selective and inconsistent racism.
Shaq thought SGA was screwed and was frustrated he would need to 'start over' next season, and then tied it to how Shaq felt he was screwed a few times.

It was a really dumb take, it was classless, but it was easy to see he was basing it on emotion and not racism.

As for Arenas...Um, OK. Why the 17 do you or anyone even listen to Arenas? And how the 17 is his opinion being known?
It's Arenas- the dude is unimportant.
Yeah, maybe he is racist- he is irrelevant and his views on something don't make it 'widespread' or whatever.
ESPN talking heads made it a point the year Embiid won it. Jokic was on his way to winning a 4th straight MVP.

Reactions: HailStout

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Barkley did say something hilarious on TNT. He said “the two best basketball players in the world are 2 out of shape white guys” and basically implied the end was near. Even by Barkley standards that was good

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I think my issue (and this in no way is meant to be directed at you) is that the same people who come at Lebron for speaking his mind praised the Kansas City kicker when he said what he said. I don’t like the hypocrisy of it all. You can’t say athletes should just shut up and dribble, kick, etc and then cheer on one that says stuff just because you agree with them.
Well... Butker was invited to speak at a ceremony by a private Christian university. It wasn't in public, and his comment wasn't made for or toward the general public.

That's a little different (to me) than wearing pig socks in an NFL game. But, your example is a little closer comparison because he's at least an active player.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Well... Butker was invited to speak at a ceremony by a private Christian university. It wasn't in public, and his comment wasn't made for or toward the general public.

That's a little different (to me) than wearing pig socks in an NFL game. But, your example is a little closer comparison because he's at least an active player.
Come on. A college graduation commencement speech is public.

It isn't public in that it it wasn't him standing at a podium in Central Park, but if you are giving a speech to college graduates and their families, its subject to discussion by the public.

As for the claim that the speech wasn't made towards or for the general public, thats just objectively incorrect.
He criticized Catholic leaders, ranted against lgbtq people and pride month, criticized Biden, and more.

Even if you agree with everything he said, you should still be able to recognize he was absolutely talking about the general oublic since he made comments about a lot of groups and people within the general public.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login