The team that would beat the Dream Team

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Regarding Barkley:

Cool, 60 seconds of Barkley being incredible.
A 600 second clip of LeBron or others doing all that stuff could be easily made.

^ I am not claiming LeBron is 10x better Than Barkley. I am saying a 1 minute highlight reel doesn't nullify what I posted earlier that you quoted.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Your Dwayne Wade drinking game is how many times he says “he is him”.
It’s insufferable. I don’t think he needs to get a hard on for every ‘and 1’ that Lebron gets against Yanni Bunchofconsonants from the former Soviet Bloc.

• Haha
Reactions: eckie1

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Cool, 60 seconds of Barkley being incredible.
A 600 second clip of LeBron or others doing all that stuff could be easily made.

^ I am not claiming LeBron is 10x better Than Barkley. I am saying a 1 minute highlight reel doesn't nullify what I posted earlier that you quoted.
Using one of your favorite tactics, where did I say that it did?

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
You don't know all the teams that the US played against...it's only 3 teams so far.

You didn't know there are a shitton more nba players on foreign rosters compared to '92.

You didn't watch the games and were ranting about the team embarrassing your country.

You are what is actually embarrassing.
I said on the other thread now educated "embarrassing" was a poor choice.
Good job getting that last rant in on the locked thread yesterday. It should be stored in Sixpack Remembers cuz it's Epic. I LMAO.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Using one of your favorite tactics, where did I say that it did?
You didn’t. It is what I inferred. Feel free to specify why you posted that as a reply to my comments on Barkley, if I misinterpreted your reason for posting it.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The 2017 Warriors would sweep the 96 Bulls
You could still delete this.

Well, you could erase everything in the post and type “delete” or “nm” or you could say Jaxson Dart has a torn ACL and all of them would be closer to being right than this.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
Honestly anybody saying the Dream Team would beat beat this team knows absolutely nothing about basketball. Today’s players would CRUSH the dream team. The game is just different now. I couldn’t even argue with you because it’s clear you have an extremely low level of knowledge about the game.

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
Honestly anybody saying the Dream Team would beat this team knows absolutely nothing about basketball. Today’s players would CRUSH the dream team. The game is just different now. I couldn’t even argue with you because it’s clear you have an extremely low level of knowledge about the game.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

I’m sorry, but I was taught by all the vaunted defenders of women’s sports on this board that men’s & women’s sports records should be kept separate and that any sort of conflation of their records cheapens the accomplishments of each. So, KD ain’t broke sнit.

Reactions: mstateglfr

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
92 Dream Team would win on Mental Toughness alone. These guys today would start whining & crying as soon as Pippen, Barkley, Malone, & Ewing put a body on them. Some of yall act like Stockton, Drexler, Mullin, & Robinson are scrubs.

fair take and funny- I give the post a 10.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
92 Dream Team would win on Mental Toughness alone. These guys today would start whining & crying as soon as Pippen, Barkley, Malone, & Ewing put a body on them. Some of yall act like Stockton, Drexler, Mullin, & Robinson are scrubs.

It has been asked in this thread and other threads whether the game style from 30 years ago or the current game style should be used.

- If players can clothesline someone on a fast break and have it be a common foul, yeah- I could see current players complaining.
- If players can be taken out by a RedRover style arm lock between defenders, yeah- I could see current players complaining.
- But if current rules are used, then no- current players wouldnt complain(more than they already do) and the '92 team would be totally 17ed until they adjusted how they played, if they could do that before all fouling out or being tossed for an FF2 or 2 FF1s.

If each team had to play one game with their rules and one game with the different rules and had 2 weeks to adjust, I dont think the current team would start crying like you claim. These are incredible athletes who have the intelligence and skill to exploit opponent's weaknesses and adjust to how games are being called. 2 weeks would be plenty of time.
They could play a 4 out 1 in motion and completely clown on the '92 big men not being able to consistently defend that far out. Or they could play the unheard of 5 out 0 in and just shoot over the top of the defense the entire time. Durant and Booker are shooting 62.5% from deep, Booker is at 62.5% from deep. Halibuton, Holiday, and Edwards are 50% from deep. Both Embiid and Davis shoot reliably from deep but havent shot much in the tournament because they havent needed to. And Curry, one of the best shooters from deep in history, is the one weak point so far.

^ I kid about the 5 out 0 in offense. Point is- none of the '92 bigs even shot further than like 15' from the hoop and the team barely shot 40% from a 3pt line that was 19" shorter than it currently is. The current team is shooting better and further from deep, with more players shooting from deep, and against significantly better defenses.
++something cool that I saw- Barkley was a boss from deep in '92. Didnt shoot it a lot, but was 7 for 8 in total. He was a turrble 26% shooter from 3 in his NBA career.++

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Seriously, can someone explain the way people wear their hatred of the NBA as a badge of honor? There is a certain pro sport that I really cannot stand. No one here knows about it because I don’t jump into every thread about it talking crap about the sport and the players. It’s because I legitimately don’t care. You can’t claim you don’t care when you are constantly posting stuff on a message board about it. It’s like the guy who tells you how he has completely moved on from his ex girlfriend every chance he gets.

Last edited:

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Seriously, can someone explain the way people wear their hatred of the NBA as a badge of honor? There is a certain pro sport that I really cannot stand. No one here knows about it because I don’t jump into every thread about it talking crap about the sport and the players. It’s because I legitimately don’t care. You can’t claim you don’t care when you are constantly posting stuff on a message board about it. It’s like the guy who tells you how he has completely moved on from his ex girlfriend every chance he gets.

TLDR answer to your question: Politics

Reactions: Pars

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yeah, I guess I already knew that. I just think that’s beyond dumb and was hoping for something else.
When many who want LeBron, Kaepernick ,and other athletes to 'shut up and play', but praise Kid Rock for shooting a bunch of beer(with the help of another gun off camera) instead of wanting him to shut up and sing, you know its politics.

^ and the reverse scenario is also true, to be clear.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
When many who want LeBron, Kaepernick ,and other athletes to 'shut up and play', but praise Kid Rock for shooting a bunch of beer(with the help of another gun off camera) instead of wanting him to shut up and sing, you know its politics.

^ and the reverse scenario is also true, to be clear.
There may be other examples, but these are not exactly similar scenarios. Speaking for at least some of us level-headed normies, I never once praised Kid Rock for shooting beer. I thought it was cringey and over the top, but I knew he was doing that for clicks so I shook my head and moved on. When was his last relevant song? I don't know if rock singers ever officially retire, but he's not exactly cranking out hit records. This is his only method of gaining attention now, unfortunately for us. I can't really tell a guy to shut up and sing when, what's he going to sing?

There is a difference between a currently active well-paid athlete who knows nothing about issues but just spouts off about the 'system' as he collects millions of dollars from that same system, vs. a former athlete who speaks to issues that mean something to him calmly and with knowledge. I do think Lebron needs to shut up and play while he's collecting his obscenely large paycheck. I think now that Kaepernick is retired, he can and should speak on whatever issues he wants... no matter how wrong he is.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
It has been asked in this thread and other threads whether the game style from 30 years ago or the current game style should be used.

- If players can clothesline someone on a fast break and have it be a common foul, yeah- I could see current players complaining.
- If players can be taken out by a RedRover style arm lock between defenders, yeah- I could see current players complaining.
- But if current rules are used, then no- current players wouldnt complain(more than they already do) and the '92 team would be totally 17ed until they adjusted how they played, if they could do that before all fouling out or being tossed for an FF2 or 2 FF1s.

If each team had to play one game with their rules and one game with the different rules and had 2 weeks to adjust, I dont think the current team would start crying like you claim. These are incredible athletes who have the intelligence and skill to exploit opponent's weaknesses and adjust to how games are being called. 2 weeks would be plenty of time.
They could play a 4 out 1 in motion and completely clown on the '92 big men not being able to consistently defend that far out. Or they could play the unheard of 5 out 0 in and just shoot over the top of the defense the entire time. Durant and Booker are shooting 62.5% from deep, Booker is at 62.5% from deep. Halibuton, Holiday, and Edwards are 50% from deep. Both Embiid and Davis shoot reliably from deep but havent shot much in the tournament because they havent needed to. And Curry, one of the best shooters from deep in history, is the one weak point so far.

^ I kid about the 5 out 0 in offense. Point is- none of the '92 bigs even shot further than like 15' from the hoop and the team barely shot 40% from a 3pt line that was 19" shorter than it currently is. The current team is shooting better and further from deep, with more players shooting from deep, and against significantly better defenses.
++something cool that I saw- Barkley was a boss from deep in '92. Didnt shoot it a lot, but was 7 for 8 in total. He was a turrble 26% shooter from 3 in his NBA career.++
Your point about the 2024 team having exceptional 3-point shooters is certainly valid. With stats like that, who would argue otherwise?

Also, I agree that the scenario you set forth (where the 24 and 92 teams have two weeks to practice the other team's style/rules of play) would be tougher for the 92 team for at least two reasons:

1) The 3-point line wasn't around when the 92 players were learning to shoot and figuring out how to play the game. The 92 players didn't grow up shooting 3-pointers every day at the gym, whereas the 24 players have been shooting 3-pointers since they first picked up a basketball.

2) Basketball in 1992 had more of a contribution from "big men" (i.e., power forwards and centers), whereas "big men" essentially do not exist in today's game because of the emphasis on shooting 3-pointers. (I think you made this same point using different words.)

Today's style of play would translate more easily to the 1992 rules. Conversely, the 1992 style of play would not match up very well to today's rules.

Certainly, the more time the 92 team had to practice and adjust to today's rules and style of play, the better they could play. Most likely, if the 92 team knew they had to play by today's rules, then they very likely would have selected different players, thereby further increasing the chances for success.

If the teams played by the 1992 rules, then I think the 92 team wins at least 75% of the time. The 24 team is very athletic, but they have been playing "soft" basketball for a long time and it would take them some time to ramp up their game to a high enough level to beat the 92 team using the 92 rules.

Along the same lines, but a different question: is today's basketball better without the traditional centers and power forwards?

Myself, I miss the style of basketball where there was a wider variety of defined roles for players (e.g., point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, center).

As I've said many times before, almost every player in today's game just spots up somewhere on the 3-point line and either shoots a 3 or drives all the way to the basket, regardless of whether he's tall, short, skinny, stocky, quick, or slow. It seems there's not as much strategy in today's game. (just my opinion)

Again . . . is today's game better without players like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Robert Parish, Moses Malone, Dikembe Mutombo, Alonzo Mourning, Patrick Ewing, Akeem Olajuwon, James Worthy, Kevin McHale, Karl Malone, Manute Bol, Shaquille O'Neil, and Darryl Dawkins ("Chocolate Thunder")?

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
There may be other examples, but these are not exactly similar scenarios. Speaking for at least some of us level-headed normies, I never once praised Kid Rock for shooting beer. I thought it was cringey and over the top, but I knew he was doing that for clicks so I shook my head and moved on. When was his last relevant song? I don't know if rock singers ever officially retire, but he's not exactly cranking out hit records. This is his only method of gaining attention now, unfortunately for us. I can't really tell a guy to shut up and sing when, what's he going to sing?

There is a difference between a currently active well-paid athlete who knows nothing about issues but just spouts off about the 'system' as he collects millions of dollars from that same system, vs. a former athlete who speaks to issues that mean something to him calmly and with knowledge. I do think Lebron needs to shut up and play while he's collecting his obscenely large paycheck. I think now that Kaepernick is retired, he can and should speak on whatever issues he wants... no matter how wrong he is.
I think my issue (and this in no way is meant to be directed at you) is that the same people who come at Lebron for speaking his mind praised the Kansas City kicker when he said what he said. I don’t like the hypocrisy of it all. You can’t say athletes should just shut up and dribble, kick, etc and then cheer on one that says stuff just because you agree with them.

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
I think my issue (and this in no way is meant to be directed at you) is that the same people who come at Lebron for speaking his mind praised the Kansas City kicker when he said what he said. I don’t like the hypocrisy of it all. You can’t say athletes should just shut up and dribble, kick, etc and then cheer on one that says stuff just because you agree with them.
I agree. I shouldn't know any athlete or celebrity's political leanings. At the very least, it should never creep onto the field or stage or whatever other platform they have. If I bring my politics to work, I get fired. I'm ok with that, because that means I don't have to listen to my co-worker's BS either.

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
I guess the real question is: Could either of these teams beat the 2024 Serbia team? Obviously, they are the best team of all time!
I only said this in jest.

I've always thought trying to compare athletes or teams from different eras is a waste of time. It's like the Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson argument. You can't settle it, because they could never fight. Boxing was way different between the two eras. Ali was a boxer - he changed the sport. Tyson was a monster who could eat punches and had the power to end a fight with one blow. He ushered in a new type of boxer. They are both all-time greats (at least Tyson could have been but he had some demons). It's the same with Jordan/Kobe/Lebron. They are all 3 all-time greats. Jordan inspired both Kobe and Lebron. Kobe was actually very analogous to Jordan. Lebron is a different animal. No one had seen anything like him before he came along. The game has changed so much since Jordan retired, it's not the same game. 30 years from now, today's game will seem antiquated. Teams of today can't compete with the teams of 30 years from now.

So, if you want to argue so bad, then maybe this is a fairer way to argue it - I think the '92 Team was the better team when compared to the field they played against. The gap between how good the '92 USA team was as compared to their competition that year is probably greater than the talent gap between the '24 USA team and this year's field. How's that?

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Funny, I don't remember the Dream Team down 13 with one quarter left in their Olympic lives.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login