The time is now

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
So we missed on all our draft picks? Man this sure sounds more and more like a low budget NFL.
Without caps or really any rules. Teams can pay whatever they want. Players can move wherever they want. Tampering all over. Way too many teams that will be screwed over. Sorry but the nfl is a better product than this minor league football that's poorly ran.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Agree to all parts my message could have been clearer. But someone had to start the conversation and get the word out. I’ll gladly own my post and mistakes made in the delivery.
All I and others are trying to do is get this fan base to buy into the BDI, to show them that even the smallest donation a month added up can and will make a difference.
I appreciate all the feedback. Understand we are trying to help drive people to the BDI
How much are our alumni who are now making millions in nfl giving back to the program that put them there? Will these players turn around and reinvest as alumni? Or am I giving money to make another man rich off my donations? Sounds like a bunch of millionaires and business that makes money off of these people and us asking us to give more. Sounds kind of like a mega church. "For 5 dollars a month, you can be blessed and pay for this jet I fly around in and we can for a better praise team" I hear Dak got a new contract. Richest man in the nfl. He's an alumni. Maybe go rattle the can near his house?

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
The problem is I have nothing left to give. I just bought a new Toyota Camry. It wasn’t that expensive, but then the dealership asked for me to round-up my purchase to the nearest $10,000 to support their future efforts in R&D to prevent the next model year version from having a recall. This was obviously a no-brainer for me to accept, unfortunately, and that was all the extra cash I had for the year.
I also have nothing left to give, but not because I’m broke.
That place got lots of money from me for many years, and when I get bumped out of decent tickets in DWS and the Hump because the “structure” changed and I wasn’t donating enough, on top of all the other game day expenses, I was out.

I find it hilariously ironic that the University has plenty written policies (which is another word for contracts) for those who want the privilege to buy tickets, and the regular fans get blasted for not giving more money to affable immature 19 year olds who can do whatever they like with little or NO contracts. And we’re the reason the sky is falling.

You.
Hard.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
You are doing the exact opposite of your intention. All you are doing is making yourself feel better not making any positive headway for the BI. I really hope you can come to see that.

I also have nothing left to give, but not because I’m broke.
That place got lots of money from me for many years, and when I get bumped out of decent tickets in DWS and the Hump because the “structure” changed and I wasn’t donating enough, on top of all the other game day expenses, I was out.

I find it hilariously ironic that the University has plenty written policies (which is another word for contracts) for those who want the privilege to buy tickets, and the regular fans get blasted for not giving more money to affable immature 19 year olds who can do whatever they like with little or NO contracts. And we’re the reason the sky is falling.

You.
Hard.
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
If that’s what your prerogative is thats fine but understand by doing that you are being part of the problem and not the solution.
If one thinks that NIL is bad, then those of you participating in it are "part of the problem"

If no one does it, it would go away

And for the record, I thought players should be able to earn money for many years before it was cool. EA Sports shouldn't be able to make tons of money off of talent without giving them a cut; if the local car dealership thinks putting the local QB in a commercial will make for a good ad, they should be allowed to do that; etc. I'm less enthused about the universities themselves paying athletes like employees, but I don't really have a problem with that, either

But these collectives are ridiculous, and I will not participate. "I challenge each and every" fan of college sports to do the same

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I have a feeling the same people complaining about contributing to NIL are the same people who will be up in arms about ole miss making the playoff this year and Ole miss, Alabama, and LSU getting the top Mississippi recruits. We can’t afford to be left behind. A lot of you are missing the forest for the trees. Do we know for a fact where the money goes? No. Do we have a less talented team than the rest of the SEC? I would argue yes. Are recruits not signing with state because of the ability of the initiative to get them deals? Probably.

You are on a Mississippi State message board for a reason, because you are a more avid fan than most. If you don’t want to contribute that is your choice, but you shouldn’t complain about the state of the program without doing so
Ole Miss has always given more money under the table. They also had a coach come in that started winning some ball games with what he had. They have had the same coach in the same time span that we are now on our 3rd. He's pretty dang good. So much so all our fans constantly hope he leaves. Although 5 years ago people thought they were too good for him snd he wasn't mature enough for msu. Fans just watched a coached who didn't have experience completely screw up our team and our AD went out and got another guy learning on the job. Meanwhile the great of the sec has experienced head coaches. No player wants to come snd lose or come to a program where they don't know anything about then coach and then it like bad if the coach gets spanked by inferior talent out the gate.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
These are the things I must know before ever giving to NIL (goes for all sports, in a very general way):

1) The overall specific mission statement/strategy, and not some goofy 'support our student athletes' stuff;
2) Percentage of what goes to each team member, and on what is it based;
3) Specific team strategy, i.e.

Essentially WHY we're doing this, and how it's going to make MSU sports better, not just stay the same.

What I sense right now, is that most collectives, depending on amount/aggressiveness, are just reactive and do what they have to do to meet a coach's demands at the moment. THAT SHIZZ WON'T FLY AT MSU, or any other small collective. We will simply keep or slowly lose ground in regards to the SEC (and hell, sometimes the Big 12 and MAC). And that's not a good enough strategy for my money.

Reactions: HRMSU

BhamDawg310

Apr 11, 2019
True.

Counterpoint:
They may play 2 games and transfer to Alabama.
Or play 9 games and quit to train for combine.
Or transfer 2 weeks before the season starts.
Or quit whenever they feel the time is right
Well just stop watching college athletics if that is going to be your mindet

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Without caps or really any rules. Teams can pay whatever they want. Players can move wherever they want. Tampering all over. Way too many teams that will be screwed over. Sorry but the nfl is a better product than this minor league football that's poorly ran.
And the idea that we are cutting edge and have started to model our internal org more towards a pro model than college is laughable. We need to be visiting the best run NFL orgs and modeling after that. Just saw today that Wojo left ESPN to be GM of St. Boneventure (sp)......GM in college sports that's what this rabbit hole has led us down. Well, at least they recognize it and are structuring more like a pro franchise. If it wasn't so sad it would be laughable.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Just some people would rather try and be funny than take initiative and actually try. Again I don’t mind the flack just proves those who don’t want to win and are those that are fine with status quo. My hope is more people will get on board and actually give to the Bulldog Initiative.
For those that would rather BS make fun just remember you are choosing to be part of the problem not the solution.
Just curious how you feel about the folks who have actually tried for 20 years and are now just to the point of giving up and being funny about it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Watching on Saturdays is still fun for most everybody. Even going to games.

What they’ve killed is the passion. And…..the year round following of recruiting.
Watching the last 2 Saturday's wasn't much fun for me. And I certainly won't be going to any games this year for the first time since Croom era.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Seems to me that a free message board is not the best forum for a message like this.

Charitable donations are a personal choice. I love college sports, and I love my alma tomater, but I'll admit I don't love MSU sports enough to redirect my donations toward the players' pockets. For those that do, you have my respect.

If this means the Toledo loss is on me, then I'll take it.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Not sure what planet we are living on but it takes years to get a solid two deep, even with the portal and NIL. Unless you want to out spend every program in the country and get the best.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’m going to get some flack for posting this and that’s fine with me. The reason it’s fine with me is a large majority of those who have negative comments don’t really want to win here at Mississippi State. They want others to give not them... They would rather a personal pride thing stand in the way or I’m gonna dig my heels in and not support the football program cause it ain’t right to pay players. If that’s what your prerogative is thats fine but understand by doing that you are being part of the problem and not the solution. I hope you change your opinion.

People it’s time … It’s time to change, it’s time to invest… it’s time for us as a fan base to support and give this Jeff Lebby era every chance in the world to be successful. Yes, times are hard right now and there is a lot of negativity around the football program, but the one thing we can do as a fan base is to give. I know some won’t and that’s just what they are going to do, but there isn’t a single fan out here on this board, 247, True Maroon, and Elitedawgs that can’t give $10.00 or more a month. You might think they won’t help but you would be wrong cause the large gift to the small is still part of the aggregate. We can all find a way to give. Step up to the plate and actually want and believe we can win!!!

In closing there are two ways out of this mess and that’s , one recruiting and the other give.
People it’s time to stand for what we talk about at state and that’s State is family. It’s time. It’s time to pull the same way it’s time to row in the same direction.. it’s time we change the trajectory of our program.

I challenge each and every poster. Each and every FB group Twitter users and Monday morning QB to give to the Bulldog Initiative.
A little or a lot let’s change the direction of our program!

HAILSTATE!
So say I do get on board and start giving. Then it all works out and we have a very successful football team. Say we win the SEC 2 or 3 times over the next 20 years. What have I gotten for my investment? The team I follow won some GAMES? Yay! I get to cheer! Seriously? This is what people are asking me to donate money for? That just sounds insane to me.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Seems to me that a free message board is not the best forum for a message like this.

Charitable donations are a personal choice. I love college sports, and I love my alma tomater, but I'll admit I don't love MSU sports enough to redirect my donations toward the players' pockets. For those that do, you have my respect.

If this means the Toledo loss is on me, then I'll take it.
It certainly does feel like the prompt at the store asking you to donate to a cause doesn't it? Why doesn't the business making all the money donate?
Also feels like the cash register person flipping the tablet around and asking for a tip for typing in your order.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I understand people not donating to NIL, regardless of the reason. But I can't understand why so many of yall are actively lobbying against it, like you want to convince everyone else not to donate too. Just stfu and don't donate.
My take is a lot of people who care about college football generally and Miss State specifically see NIL as being bad for CFB generally and very bad for State specifically, so they are saying NIL is not good.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
So say I do get on board and start giving. Then it all works out and we have a very successful football team. Say we win the SEC 2 or 3 times over the next 20 years. What have I gotten for my investment? The team I follow won some GAMES? Yay! I get to cheer! Seriously? This is what people are asking me to donate money for? That just sounds insane to me.
Sounds like a scheme to me. Make other men rich by donating. It may make you happier because we might win more although we have nil now but went 4-8 snd already losing to teams with less budgets and talent.

(results may vary)

Reactions: Villagedawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I understand people not donating to NIL, regardless of the reason. But I can't understand why so many of yall are actively lobbying against it, like you want to convince everyone else not to donate too. Just stfu and don't donate.
It’s not any more unreasonable of a position than actively lobbying for people to donate to NIL (like the way this entire thread started). Tell me how I’m wrong. Either way, you’re trying to spend (or not spend) other people’s money, when those other people have very different lives, priorities, finances, and viewpoint of how MSU athletics and the university in general fits into all of the above categories.

You start an entire thread trying to get people to donate (or not donate) because that’s what YOU care about and you want other people to care as much as you do, then you should fully expect other people with the opposite opinion to chime in with their perspective. That’s how message boards work.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
This is fair, and I will just ignore these conversations from now on. I think some people just react when told they don't adequately care

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
My take is a lot of people who care about college football generally and Miss State specifically see NIL as being bad for CFB generally and very bad for State specifically, so they are saying NIL is not good.
Saying "NIL is not good for the sport" is a reasonable statement to post.

Saying "here are the many reasons I'm not going to give any money, and why you shouldn't either" is different... and seems counterproductive if it's true the poster 'cares' about Mississippi State.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
The one thing about this thread is all the I want to be superior because I give to the BI can sit on it and 17ing spin. I am so tired of this argument. Grown men telling other grown men what to do with their money. As I told the OP I do give to BI, but I don't think that makes me a better fan than anyone else on here. If people do not want to give, that makes them no less a fan than anyone else, and to say or think that they are is just plain dumb. All of this desperation because we are losing. News flash we have been terrible before. The only thing that is different now is morons on here want to put the blame on the average everyday fan because they do not give enough money. Forget the fact that our athletic department has been one of the worst run in the conference, if not the country, over the last few years. Forget the fact that our collective was poorly presented and basically ran from the start. I am sure those things are the fault of the everyday fan as well somehow.

I love that it seems to be put at the feet of the average fan instead of the people really making money in this new college football world. Why is the coach not giving a certain percentage of his bloated income to the BI? Why is the AD not giving a percentage of his income to the BI? Why is the president of the university not giving a certain percentage of his income to the BI? There are other sources this money could come from as well. Just off the top of my head, TV deals, rising tuition costs, advertisers, and tv executives.

I buy the argument of the people saying I do not want to give because our BI has been so poorly managed and presented. Why? Because it has been poorly run and poorly presented. I do not mean to offend Charlie Winfield. Honestly, I couldn't care less if I offend him or not. It is not like I know the man personally, but Ole Miss is letting a team of cut-throat lawyers run their collective. And we wonder why ours is lagging behind.

I buy the argument of the people that say I have already given my pound of flesh to the university. I am from a family that is third generation MSU, and my daughter will be the fourth along with my nieces and nephews. So we have given the university plenty of money, and I do not want to be patted on the back. I am just saying it is hard to tell legacy families they have not given enough simply because they do not want to support the BI.

I also buy the argument of people on here that say I would rather give to my own kids than someone else's. I am lucky enough to be able to provide my daughter a spoiled life style and still have money to give to BI. Good for me, but that is not true of everyone and to criticize them for it is just stupid given it is mostly not their fault that the cost to raise kids and the cost of almost everything else has exploded in recent times.

Look if you want to give, then give, but do not for one second think that makes you more of a fan that anyone else. Honestly, this thread has had the exact opposite impact on me. I am thinking of stopping my giving simply because I do not want to be part of this, I want to sound superior crowd. I hate that the OP tried to challenge people instead of trying to meet them where they are, and I really think this post turned more people off to the BI than led anyone to support it.

Last edited:

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The one thing about this thread is all the I want to be superior because I give to the BI can sit on it and 17ing spin. I am so tired of this argument. Grown men telling other grown men what to do with their money. As I told the OP I do give to BI, but I don't think that makes me a better fan than anyone else on here. If people do not want to give, that makes them no less a fan than anyone else, and to say or think that they are is just plain dumb. All of this desperation because we are losing. News flash we have been terrible before. The only thing that is different now is morons on here want to put the blame on the average everyday fan because they do not give enough money. Forget the fact that our athletic department has been one of the worst run in the conference, if not the country, over the last few years. Forget the fact that our collective was poorly presented and basically ran from the start. I am sure those things are the fault of the everyday fan as well somehow.

I love that it seems to be put at the feet of the average fan instead of the people really making money in this new college football world. Why is the coach not giving a certain percentage of his bloated income to the BI? Why is the AD not giving a percentage of his income to the BI? Why is the president of the university not giving a certain percentage of his income to the BI? There are other sources this money could come from as well. Just off the top of my head, TV deals, rising tuition costs, advertisers, and tv executives.

I buy the argument of the people saying I do not want to give because our BI has been so poorly managed and presented. Why? Because it has been poorly run and poorly presented. I do not mean to offend Charlie Winfield. Honestly, I couldn't care less if I offend him or not. It is not like I know the man personally, but Ole Miss is letting a team of cut-throat lawyers run their collective. And we wonder why ours is lagging behind.

I buy the argument of the people that say I have already given my pound of flesh to the university. I am from a family that is third generation MSU, and my daughter will be the fourth along with my nieces and nephews. So we have given the university plenty of money, and I do not want to be patted on the back. I am just saying it is hard to tell legacy families they have not given enough simply because they do not want to support the BI.

I also buy the argument of people on here that say I would rather give to my own kids than someone else's. I am lucky enough to be able to provide my daughter a spoiled life style and still have money to give to BI. Good for me, but that is not true of everyone and to criticize them for it is just stupid given it is mostly not their fault that the cost to raise kids and the cost of almost everything else has exploded in recent times.

Look if you want to give, then give, but do not for one second think that makes you more of a fan that anyone else. Honestly, this thread has had the exact opposite impact on me. I am thinking of stopping my giving simply because I do not want to be part of this, I want to sound superior crowd. I hate that the OP tried to challenge people instead of trying to meet them where they are, and I really think this post turned more people off to the BI than led anyone to support it.
How about, don't tell people whether you give or not? Of course it doesn't make me "better" than another fan if I give to the NIL and they don't. I haven't read that attitude into many posts at all, but then again I did skip over most of them because I don't care to read "why" people don't give. Why would I want to know that? That's their business.

I understand why people who are giving want others to give: they obviously believe in the cause and believe that it helps State succeed the more people that donate.

I understand why people who don't give, don't give. They don't think it helps.

But nowhere in this could anyone believe that it hurts Mississippi State University for OTHER people to give if they can. That's what I'm against - people posting on here trying to convince others not to give. There's no way it can help the program, but it absolutely can hurt the program.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

How about, don't tell people whether you give or not? Of course it doesn't make me "better" than another fan if I give to the NIL and they don't. I haven't read that attitude into many posts at all, but then again I did skip over most of them because I don't care to read "why" people don't give. Why would I want to know that? That's their business.

I understand why people who are giving want others to give: they obviously believe in the cause and believe that it helps State succeed the more people that donate.

I understand why people who don't give, don't give. They don't think it helps.

But nowhere in this could anyone believe that it hurts Mississippi State University for OTHER people to give if they can. That's what I'm against - people posting on here trying to convince others not to give. There's no way posting that can help the program, but it absolutely can hurt the program.