The US just cut off Russia from all dollar transactions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007

Let's see if we can do this without the political rhetoric.

Russia is so incredibly 17'ed. My opinion is that Zelensky is almost single handedly responsible for the world's swift condemnation of the invasion. You've got a lot of countries and companies about to sacrifice a lot of profits to put the hurt on Putin. A week ago I didn't think anybody would lift much of a finger to help Ukraine.

Russia is careening toward a precipice. Putin's country is going to be so absolutely ruined that either the people turn on him en masse or he commits an act of war so vile that the rest of the world is dragged into it.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say the direction of the 21st century world order is being written in eastern Europe right now.

Feb 4, 2015
I wouldn’t put it past that vile dictator to use nukes. No he’s not stupid but Ukraine has a crapload of natural resources. Also, as long as we keep importing oil from them then the dollar effect might not have as much pain as we would like.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Facts are facts: We backed Putin into a corner. George, H.W Bush promised not to expand NATO after the USSR collapsed. Not only did it expand to include all of Germany we added a load of Warsaw Pact countries and the Baltics. Then we launched a military offensive in to Serbia, a long-time Balkan ally. Except for Syria, which we could have easily locked Russia out of, but didn't, we've made them a weak player in the mid east.

China and Iran are the only potential friends Russia has at the moment. Iran is in no position to help and the Chinese are going to play wait and see. They would gladly watch Russia fail, it won't hurt their standing as a world power. (Sorry, I forgot about India. Who doesn't?)

Putin is more dangerous than ever and I'm not saying we've done the wrong thing by putting the screws to him, but in his mind and in the mind of a **** ton of Russian nationalists, Russia has been deeply wronged by the west.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2012
There might be some unintended consequences to this that we don't like. USD isn't as strong as it once was. This might weaken it further.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
This is long, but very informative with maps. I didn't realize this is basically the same playbook Putin used to gain control of the Crimean Peninsula and for the same reasons. It's not political at all.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Dumb question: Did NATO (or the West) coerce the Warsaw Pact nations to join them or did they want to of their own volition for protection?

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Will a group of generals/military/KGB leaders take him out before he commands a hideous mistake?

Who is the Sean Connery/Ramius of today's Russian military hierarchy?

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It's crazy to think that in today's world a Putin can even exist. I truly hope he is just a hold out from the old USSR. The thing that I'm curious about is how does Russia transition to its next leader? Putin killed democracy there. Whenever, and however, he finishes his time there, what happens?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
?
I would lean the other way. First the dollar is in the top quartile of where it's been in the last 20 years. Dollar strength is relative to other currencies and we are in better shape than most believe it or not.

The strength is derived in confidence in the money and in a time of war (especially one we are not in or near relatively speaking) I can see no reason why confidence in the currency of the most powerful economy and military in the world would wane. The dollar is a safe haven for the world in times like these.

From a spending standpoint, unfortunately our economy will benefit more than any others during war. You have EU countries getting nervous and cranking up their printing presses to buy F35's from Lockheed, M1 Abrams tanks from General Dynamics, Javelin missiles from Raytheon, and military communication equipment from L3.

Last edited:

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I actually thing Vlad has gone crazy. Back in 2020 he had a Covid scare. So he retreated to his bunker and nobody is allowed to come within 20 feet of him.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Give the US Intel Community credit as well. We telegraphed this invasion for weeks, and we were absolutely correct. I think that has gone along way in uniting NATO and most of the world against Putin.

That said, the sanctions hurt Russian people more than anyone. If the plan is to execute Zelensky at the expense of the Russian economy, I don’t know what else we can do.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Dumb question: Did NATO (or the West) coerce the Warsaw Pact nations to join them or did they want to of their own volition for protection?

I would think they wanted join without being coerced, but we did give assurances to Russia that NATO would not expand to countries in their sphere of influence.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Xenomorph said:

Let's see if we can do this without the political rhetoric.

Russia is so incredibly 17'ed. My opinion is that Zelensky is almost single handedly responsible for the world's swift condemnation of the invasion. You've got a lot of countries and companies about to sacrifice a lot of profits to put the hurt on Putin. A week ago I didn't think anybody would lift much of a finger to help Ukraine.

Russia is careening toward a precipice. Putin's country is going to be so absolutely ruined that either the people turn on him en masse or he commits an act of war so vile that the rest of the world is dragged into it.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say the direction of the 21st century world order is being written in eastern Europe right now.

I’m not nitpicking you, but isn’t attacking and killing civilians vile enough to start dragging others into this? There is no battlefront. From what I’ve seen, civilians are being attacked. And this doesn’t seem to be due to “freedom fighters” (who are actually fighting for their freedom in an unprovoked war) hiding amongst civilians.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
This is long, but very informative with maps. I didn't realize this is basically the same playbook Putin used to gain control of the Crimean Peninsula and for the same reasons. It's not political at all.

Thank you for sharing this. Well researched and well done.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I'd be curious about the quality of life in Russia under Putin. I.E. Have the people been happy and content ?

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
Will a group of generals/military/KGB leaders take him out before he commands a hideous mistake?

Who is the Sean Connery/Ramius of today's Russian military hierarchy?

I think that is a significant possibility because, like Strat says below, our intelligence has been on point, which must mean some US inner circle access. The downside is that if this is true and Putin is beginning to feel "cornered," then we are living in very dangerous and delicate times. Mutually assured destruction is breaking down. A coup from within may be required to save the planet. I fear a cornered Putin will go nuke and that will be his legacy.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Conspiracy Theory Alert:

A couple of weeks ago Russia flipped on crypto currency. Everyone was expecting a China style ban and they flipped to pass a law treating it as a foreign currency for legal use in foreign transactions . It's still not legal for everyday transactions within the country. 3 thoughts:

1. This is a decision that reeks of knowing you are getting ready to invade a sovereign nation and the world may cut off financial markets and international banking as a penalty.

2. If Russia starts to use crypto to circumvent sanctions, I would not want to own any crypto or Coinbase stock. Governments around the world will crackdown on it and try to make it useless.

3. If it happens, every crypto geek that tries to say it's bullish for crypto or argues that this proves that banks can't control it as Russia is using it to skate around sanctions and it helps continue their invasion of Ukraine.... Well 17 you for being an ******* and an idiot. When I/we normal humans see you expect to get the swirlies, wedgies, and melvins you likely missed out on due to being a millennial nerd that only got bullied online vs a regular nerd.*

https://www.businessinsider.in/investment/news/russias-new-crypto-law-is-less-than-a-week-away-heres-what-we-know-so-far/articleshow/89582403.cms

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Interesting. Never thought of crypto being used for nefarious means by an entire nation.

If that were to happen, I strongly suspect Uncle Sam would rapidly introduce the funny money boys to a new range of the possible.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Partly that, partly fear of assassination/coup.

I actually thing Vlad has gone crazy. Back in 2020 he had a Covid scare. So he retreated to his bunker and nobody is allowed to come within 20 feet of him.

Russia is better off with Putin dead. Everything is doing right now is the opposite of what they want. NATO hast strengthened and is acting cohesively. Traditionally neutral and pacifist countries are participating in sanctioning / air space restrictions. His economy has been destroyed. He has created zero false flags or rationalization to be viewed as defense for invasion (thanks to well communicated US intelligence). Zelensky is becoming loved by any society that supports democracy/freedoms among their people (no, Ukraine is not perfect liberal democracy, but I'd bet Russian citizens would trade right now).

Lots of folks deserve credit for the trends right now, although I doubt many will be acknowledged on this board.

Last edited:

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
I would think you could prevent this by limiting transaction size. It would be hard to fund a war $500k at a time.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I saw a clip of an interview Condoleezza Rice did yesterday asking about Putin and she was concerned that something was amiss with his mental health.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Facts are facts: We backed Putin into a corner. George, H.W Bush promised not to expand NATO after the USSR collapsed. Not only did it expand to include all of Germany we added a load of Warsaw Pact countries and the Baltics. Then we launched a military offensive in to Serbia, a long-time Balkan ally. Except for Syria, which we could have easily locked Russia out of, but didn't, we've made them a weak player in the mid east.

China and Iran are the only potential friends Russia has at the moment. Iran is in no position to help and the Chinese are going to play wait and see. They would gladly watch Russia fail, it won't hurt their standing as a world power. (Sorry, I forgot about India. Who doesn't?)

Putin is more dangerous than ever and I'm not saying we've done the wrong thing by putting the screws to him, but in his mind and in the mind of a **** ton of Russian nationalists, Russia has been deeply wronged by the west.

Russia also promised to never invade Ukraine when they gave up their nukes in 1994, too. So if we're keeping score on promises...

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
How is expanding nato backing Putin into a corner.

Act like a decent human and leader and maybe you can be part of NATO.

Don’t want to be apart of nato? Ok let them expand up to your border. Who cares? If you aren’t doing something crazy then nato won’t 17 with you.

Now we did “stretch the truth” but it didn’t back him into a corner.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Define perfect liberal democracy.

I promise to not respond no matter what your answer is.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I haven’t watched a ton but I haven’t seen a direct attack on civilians.
Maybe some bombs hitting too close to home (pun intended) but other than that what have I missed.

Chuck Yeager

Apr 6, 2020
How is expanding nato backing Putin into a corner.

Act like a decent human and leader and maybe you can be part of NATO.

Don’t want to be apart of nato? Ok let them expand up to your border. Who cares? If you aren’t doing something crazy then nato won’t 17 with you.

Now we did “stretch the truth” but it didn’t back him into a corner.

So you are for globalism then, cause that is what NATO wants. We need to get out of it IMO.

Good question to ask is why very liberal CNN and neocon conservative Fox both pound the war drums in unison, going back 30 years.

Good summary here on this:
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2022/02/no_author/ukraine-the-new-american-war-for-righteousness/

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I mean I’m asking how it backs them into a corner.
Ok so it’s globalism.
How does that back them into a corner?

Don’t be a prick and all is good right?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Ok so I started reading that article.

Will try to finish, but seems a little conspiracy theory to me.

But let’s say it’s spot on.

Is a “disguised” democracy better or worse than what Russia has now?

I mean personally I think Russia should have whatever government they want as a people. Obviously communism makes it harder for the people to really have a say but whatever.

If Russia wants communism and nato expands all around it, so what? Is nato gonna then just attack Russia and force them into some terrible form of government that BACKS THEM IN A CORNER AND THREATENS THEM?

I don’t see something terrible for Russia by nato expanding other than they can’t be a bully.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
A western style democracy with free elections and separations of powers.

Define perfect liberal democracy.

I promise to not respond no matter what your answer is.

Ukraine has corruption problems. Which is why I mention the word perfect. I'm not going to get into my ideas of perfect governments bc it's irrelevant. Liberal is simple description that should not be any more or less offensive than the word republican. In this context, it's a matter of fact word and not trigger any emotional response to political identity unless you take issues with free elections, citizen rights, separations of powers - all which are still much in favor in the West.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Understood.

I get Ukraine’s democracy IS more corrupt than ours but ours has become corrupted also.

Chuck Yeager

Apr 6, 2020
I mean I’m asking how it backs them into a corner.
Ok so it’s globalism.
How does that back them into a corner?

Don’t be a prick and all is good right?

Wasn't trying to be a "prick", just asking a question. All is good as far as I'm concerned.

NATO keeps expanding toward Russia. What if we weren't in NATO and say NY and CA wanted to join it? What would US do? (Hell UN HQ is in NY so they pretty much have already joined globalists). NATO keeps picking off one country at a time by causing social upheaval within independent states to turn over govts to globalist leaders (all funded by Soros). I know this much ... Putin is not a globalist. UN/NATO/UK (London) are.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Some from earlier this morning (here).

I haven’t watched a ton but I haven’t seen a direct attack on civilians.
Maybe some bombs hitting too close to home (pun intended) but other than that what have I missed.

Got some thuggery going on.

[FONT=&]

[FONT=&]
[/FONT] [/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login