They just blew the horn at Augusta. No more golf today.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
If he wins the money will come. Finish third and the money will come.
Finish 20th and the money will come. He is a 5th year senior- he is turning pro soon and will make money regardless of where he finishes this weekend.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Is that masters specific? I thought if amateurs wanted they could take their prize money and just lose their amateur status.
He could’ve turned pro before the tournament. Not sure if he can turn pro right at the end and get the money or not.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
He could’ve turned pro before the tournament. Not sure if he can turn pro right at the end and get the money or not.
No he can’t. He actually turned down going pro months ago just so he could play in the masters since he qualified as an amateur. So he has to compete as an amateur since he qualified as an amateur. But he has set himself up, marketing wise, that he should have a lot of sponsorship deals once he does turn pro.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I’m on anyone but Brooks train at this point. But the way he’s playing, I’m not sure anyone can catch him

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
How does Tiger make the cut at a +9 ?

I don’t understand how he continues on over like a dozen or so guys at +6 +7 +8

Why do the talking heads still drool over a washed up shell of a golfer?

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
1) Amateur can forego amateur status and accept the prize money. He wouldn’t be able to compete for TAMU anymore, though. It’s always been this way.

2) CBS coverage will start at 7:30 AM Central to cover the completion of the 3rd round. They’ll then show filler material (Amateur qualifying tournament and a tribute to previous Masters Champions) until the leaders start their 4th round at around 1:00 Central.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
No he can’t. He actually turned down going pro months ago just so he could play in the masters since he qualified as an amateur. So he has to compete as an amateur since he qualified as an amateur. But he has set himself up, marketing wise, that he should have a lot of sponsorship deals once he does turn pro.
I thought I remembered a story about a college golfer foregoing his last year of college eligibility so he could accept his us open prize money, but I can’t find it googling so maybe I just dreamed that.
maybe it was that he went ahead and went pro before trying to qualify so he could play as a pro? Or maybe it was just a fever dream.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Talk **** about how ****** a person Tiger is. Now, this is an Official Golf Thread. Don't forget Lefty and Greg Norman.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
1) Amateur can forego amateur status and accept the prize money. He wouldn’t be able to compete for TAMU anymore, though. It’s always been this way.
No, as others have said, he entered the tournament as an amateur and is not eligible for any prize money no matter what. The purse will be distributed to the pro players as though he wasn't there. If he finishes third, the fourth place pro will take home 3rd place money.

He will get a nice trophy as low amateur, and an interview with Jim Nance after the tournament. If he wins, he will get a green jacket, the Masters Trophy, along with all the benefits of a champion, such as a 5 year Tour exemption and exemptions into the other majors. He could turn pro and win money with those exemptions.

If he finishes in the Top 12, he gets an automatic invite to next year's Masters, even if he turns pro. I think a top 10 finish would earn him some other exemptions on the Tour.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
And he is making money this week....he is covered with Sponsors logos. I didn't know the USGA had gotten on board with amateur NIL money.
I mean realistically, this is probably the most legit Name Image Likeness money in all of sports. He is getting paid to advertise products because of his very public image. Not like a 5 star QB that is just getting money to go play at a school.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I mean realistically, this is probably the most legit Name Image Likeness money in all of sports. He is getting paid to advertise products because of his very public image. Not like a 5 star QB that is just getting money to go play at a school.
I wouldn't say "the most legit in all of sports", but definitely more legit than what is currently happening in college sports. I read this morning that he only wears the logos in professional events.

Golf has always been a little lax on amateur rules. As long as you don't win prize money in tournaments, it seems you're okay.

Ken Venturi used to work for a car dealership in San Francisco, but his primary job was playing golf as an amateur. The owner of the dealership was that kid who caddied for Francis Ouimet in the 1913 US Open.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login