Things I Miss

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Here is one many of us will agree with..

I miss my Dad. Every day, no exceptions. I lost him when he was forty and I was ten. He will always be young, strong, good and the most handsome man I ever saw.
Losing a parent at any age can be difficult, but for it to happen at such a young age is heartbreaking. My Dad died in his 70's but, like you, I miss and think of him daily. We honor their memory by being the best men we can be.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Here is one many of us will agree with..

I miss my Dad. Every day, no exceptions. I lost him when he was forty and I was ten. He will always be young, strong, good and the most handsome man I ever saw.
Wow, ten years old and you lost your dad. Doesn’t get much worse than that.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Wow, ten years old and you lost your dad. Doesn’t get much worse than that.
If I told you all the circumstances of the time you would understand it can get much worse.

One thing I learned? Some will have it much worse than me.

Another thing I learned? Never pity. Challenge people and don’t let them give up.

I had someone then who taught me not to give up and to always try. We all need that person, but many don’t ever find their person. That is the real tragedy.

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
I still use my Yamaha receiver to run my surround system. Those have largely given way to soundbars that don't offer a comparable experience.
I use my 15+ year old Sony ES receiver to run my surround sound system with a Polk center channel speaker, Ohm Walsh 4 (purchased in 1985) front speakers and ceiling mounted Mirage speakers as rear surrounds. Blows any movie theater surround sound system out of the water. That’s why I rarely go to see movies in the theater. The theater sound systems just don’t measure up.

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
What I miss? Sitting on my grandparents porch (Youngstown, Ohio) in the evening during the summer when I was a kid. Indians game on the radio, talking to the neighbors kids on their porch and then running around together in the front yard catching lightning bugs (fireflies). Then when we were hot and exhausted from running around, sitting down and eating some Isaly’s ice cream. Didn’t have a care in the world back then (mid to late 60’s).

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I miss kids being respectufl of their teachers, and when they weren't they were dealt with once, because once is all it took....

Ironman2

Dec 18, 2021
I was a guard but our center was 6'9" and most opponents had guys just as big. I remember thinking I can play against those guys. Then I met Wes Unseld before a Baltimore Bullets game. I shook his hand and it felt like it was twice the size of my hand. His body was think and muscular and I quickly realized that all 6'9" players aren't built alike. It was quite humbling.
I met Unseld at the Cap center. He was a monster. He sure did set a lot of bad *** screens for the Big E back in the day.

Reactions: bdgan

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I loved to play in the sand on the beach.
View attachment 606238
Varun Dhawan Bollywood GIF by bypriyashah

Reactions: step.eng69

slwlion01

Jul 24, 2023
A memory in the movie thread got my mind thinking back to the late sixties and early seventies.

Then, at this time of year, you would find me on the beaches in South Jersey.

I loved surfing on the beaches at the south end of the island that holds Avalon and Stone Harbor. The big homes had not yet consumed all the land south of the point where Ocean Drive cuts through the marshes to North Wildwood. A dozen or so young men, and a few attractive young women, would grab our boards and go surf there after 5:00.

I never felt so free and full of life as I did then. I can still remember the taste of the ocean.

Anyone else have an ancient memory they want to share?
Everything in America pre-Vietnam.:cry:

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018
Manners, respect, female bodies without tattoos and piercings, civility, Keith Jackson, Joe Paterno, my mom and dad, Lemon Blend, twi-night and holiday doubleheaders, daily newspapers, the Sunday sports section, omelet stations, Pittsburgh Pirates owners that cared about winning.....

Keyser Soze 16802

Oct 12, 2021
Manners, respect, female bodies without tattoos and piercings, civility, Keith Jackson, Joe Paterno, my mom and dad, Lemon Blend, twi-night and holiday doubleheaders, daily newspapers, the Sunday sports section, omelet stations, Pittsburgh Pirates owners that cared about winning.....
This is a good start on lyrics for a country song

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
Just last summer, I got rid of the train "platform" my dad had made for our Lionel train my brother and I woke up to one Christmas morning in the mid 60's! My son didn't want it. My brother didn't want it. At 66, I had no use for it anymore. So sad, but great memories! I still have the tracks and the whole train set!
I still have the platform my dad built when I was 4-5. I did not know it at the time, but he was going in for heart surgery--fixing an atrial septal defect. Not a big deal now, but then? The heart-lung machine was only 4-5 years old. He did it so we would have something--in case. As it turned out, he lived until he was 90 (2011). But that platform will be hard to give up--and I don't have kids.

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
Lemon Blend, Burger Chef, A&W Root Beer Restaurant, the Original Big Boy, Blaine Hill ribs, Elliott's BBQ, Little Caesars crazy eights and meat lovers, WWII classic movies, Tarzan movies with Johnny Weismuller.

BrianS

Oct 31, 2021
I still have the platform my dad built when I was 4-5. I did not know it at the time, but he was going in for heart surgery--fixing an atrial septal defect. Not a big deal now, but then? The heart-lung machine was only 4-5 years old. He did it so we would have something--in case. As it turned out, he lived until he was 90 (2011). But that platform will be hard to give up--and I don't have kids.
Nice story! I don't know what to tell ya, but, if you still have the desire, you could set it up every Christmas season just for the nostalgia and Christmas spirit.

Reactions: fairgambit
Dec 2, 2022
The one thing I've been pining over is going back to the days when my parents would take my brother and I to my grandparents house down towards Chambersburg and my grandpa would go out and toss the wiffle ball to us as my grandma, mom, and dad would sit up on the porch, talking about the impending birth of my baby sister.

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
Nice story! I don't know what to tell ya, but, if you still have the desire, you could set it up every Christmas season just for the nostalgia and Christmas spirit.
Oh, it's up. Just needs to be cleared off a bit.

Reactions: BrianS

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
i miss

Two CFL teams being named the Roughriders

Two teams. Of a primarily 8 team league.

New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

Last edited:
Reactions: OaktonDave
Dec 14, 2021
Back in the 70's, getting a milk shake and a soft pretzel at Twin Kiss. Driving to the back side of the Harrisburg Airport and watching planes take off and land.

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
The Lions Den, Highway Pizza, Uncle Ray's Playland, Rothmans Cigarettes.

Turning the low boy cigarette machines upside down, shaking the crap out of them, taking the cigarettes and change, selling the brands that weren't yours at a discount.

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
News and weather people who look normal.

Not overweight and other caricatures of some doofy underlying purpose.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login