Things I Miss

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
I may have mentioned that I am a bard of some note, at least in my own mind. One of my favorite verses, which I composed decades ago, and have published here before, is Ode To A Dandelion.

Dandelion I dread to see you,
growing in my lawn.
Oh how I look forward to Winter, and the days when you'll be gone.
Your yellow flowers bring despair, of this there is no doubt.
For they signify long hours,
of trying to dig you out.
I've tried so hard to stop you,
but you just continue to grow.
The only thing left for me to do,
is kneel down and pray for snow.

View attachment 605812
There is a haiku hidden in there somewhere. I trust this is a work from your formative era?

Reactions: fairgambit

northwoods

Oct 30, 2021
There was always a fireworks show at Temple Stadium in Mt. Airy which was proceeded by a Drum and Bugle Corp band competition. We'd either walk or ride our bikes there (parents didn't drive kids everywhere back in the day). If I remember correctly "Reilly's Raiders" were usually the winners. I still love the sound of a good Drum and Bugle Corp. This would have been in the mid-late 50's.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Cruising around in the 70’s with illegal cold beverages and “substances” blaring Zeppelin on the 8 track of a friend’s Pinto or Willys truck. 😵💫🥴

I’d love to have that truck today WOW

Last edited:

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
I may have mentioned that I am a bard of some note, at least in my own mind. One of my favorite verses, which I composed decades ago, and have published here before, is Ode To A Dandelion.

Dandelion I dread to see you,
growing in my lawn.
Oh how I look forward to Winter, and the days when you'll be gone.
Your yellow flowers bring despair, of this there is no doubt.
For they signify long hours,
of trying to dig you out.
I've tried so hard to stop you,
but you just continue to grow.
The only thing left for me to do,
is kneel down and pray for snow.

View attachment 605812
wut?

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
The band talk sprung another memory.

Our high school band had a huge brass section. When they played “25 or 6 to 4” it was incredible.

Reactions: ODShowtime

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
In the 80s my friends and I would wake up early before the summer heat came on and we'd play stickball at the closest neighborhood playground. Then we'd all go home, get our pool stuff together and me being the one that lived furtherest from the neighborhood pool, I'd go to the next house and one by one we'd all get back together and wait outside the pool entrance until the door opened. We'd spend the early afternoon swimming, playing tag and of course getting benched because we were caught running around the pool. Then we'd all head home to get changed into our baseball uniforms before coming back together for an afternoon game.

I miss the friendships, the innocence and the energy I had to do this on an almost daily basis.
“Youth is wasted on the young.”

Damn right it is!

Bosco2

Oct 25, 2021
Just out of college, got my first real job and bought a brand new '71 MG Midget. Monthly payments were $67 and my monthly rent was $33 since I rented a house with 2 other guys. Didn't make much money but didn't need much. The best thing: went anywhere I wanted with no one asking me where I was going or when I'd be back. Spent many weekend nights at the local bar and went home as the sun came up. Then I got married.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
I miss a society that experienced things other than tragedy and the Super Bowl together. I miss being disconnected, when phones didn't dominate everyone's attention. I miss Blockbuster video on a Friday night after school, hoping they might still have a copy of the latest video game release. I miss having to go to a mall at Christmastime to buy gifts and experience the hustle and bustle of the season, though I'm sure that was a source of nothing but frustration for many.

There's so much about modern society I'm very thankful for, but I still long for what was a much simpler time, even as recently as the 90s when I grew up.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
I miss playing basketball, and not the pickup game of my mid 40s and into my 50s when it was a good jog the was tied into dribbling a ball and shooting some shots with nine other guys.

I'm talking balls to the walls fult tilt hoops from High school to college intermurals to Rec leagues into my early 30s until I started to pull leg muscles and it wasn't worth it. Games when guys were going full out and you hit the showers and your eyes were burning from the sweat coming of your hair.

I will always miss being able to move like that. I didn't hurt that I was pretty good at it, but in the best games. So was everyone else. We would have pick up games at the high school with our old HS basketball coach, who was still younger and had played in college. We had the best players from the area who were in their 20s and 30s. Great games. Go out drench you head under the fountain, go back in and play some more.
I miss that a lot. I even remember playing outside in the winter and our hair was full of ice from sweat.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
I miss playing basketball, and not the pickup game of my mid 40s and into my 50s when it was a good jog the was tied into dribbling a ball and shooting some shots with nine other guys.

I'm talking balls to the walls fult tilt hoops from High school to college intermurals to Rec leagues into my early 30s until I started to pull leg muscles and it wasn't worth it. Games when guys were going full out and you hit the showers and your eyes were burning from the sweat coming of your hair.

I will always miss being able to move like that. I didn't hurt that I was pretty good at it, but in the best games. So was everyone else. We would have pick up games at the high school with our old HS basketball coach, who was still younger and had played in college. We had the best players from the area who were in their 20s and 30s. Great games. Go out drench you head under the fountain, go back in and play some more.
The older we get the better we were.

PSU89er

Nov 22, 2023
My youngest just graduated from High School this year. My wife has running line on me about high school stole from the anchorman when "I was kindofa big deal." I was all league at a dinky school in rural PA, but I also cleaned up with the academic awards. With my daughter finishing school she heard that line in jest probably half dozen times over the week of graduation. "You couldn't be like dad, he was kindofa big deal." stuff like that.

We go to my mothers house for a graduation party. My 93 year old mother is cleaning things out. She gives me some momentos she had saved. Priceless to me, useless to anyone else. Program from senior night. Stuff like that. Things I never kept around. My daughter got to it first. Top item was a newspaper article, Headline "PSU89er leads team into league championship game." big picture of me making a move on some kid.

She is like, "Dad, were you good?" My wife responded before I did.

"He was kindofa big deal."

If said enough, maybe it was true or maybe its a joke, probably a little of both.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
I miss a society that experienced things other than tragedy and the Super Bowl together. I miss being disconnected, when phones didn't dominate everyone's attention. I miss Blockbuster video on a Friday night after school, hoping they might still have a copy of the latest video game release. I miss having to go to a mall at Christmastime to buy gifts and experience the hustle and bustle of the season, though I'm sure that was a source of nothing but frustration for many.

There's so much about modern society I'm very thankful for, but I still long for what was a much simpler time, even as recently as the 90s when I grew up.
I still do all of my personal Christmas shopping (not the shopping from both my wife and I but the gifts I get for my wife and each of my daughters) at the mall within a week of Christmas. I love it.

Last edited:

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
I miss crisp cold nites in the 60s and the smell of the roasting peanuts at the stand outside the Sears at the Colonial Park Plaza shopping center.

Last edited:

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Just out of college, got my first real job and bought a brand new '71 MG Midget. Monthly payments were $67 and my monthly rent was $33 since I rented a house with 2 other guys. Didn't make much money but didn't need much. The best thing: went anywhere I wanted with no one asking me where I was going or when I'd be back. Spent many weekend nights at the local bar and went home as the sun came up. Then I got married.
I had a girlfriend I lost to a guy who drove a green MG. I can’t blame her.

Reactions: wbcbus

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
I still do all of my personal Christmas shopping (not the shopping from both my wife and I but the gifts I get for my wife and each of my daughters) st the ball within a week of Christmas. I love it.
Are you one of those guys I see picking through whatever flowers Wegmans has left at 5:00pm on Valentine's Day?

Reactions: Connorpozlee

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
True, but some of us were the **** back in the day.
I was a guard but our center was 6'9" and most opponents had guys just as big. I remember thinking I can play against those guys. Then I met Wes Unseld before a Baltimore Bullets game. I shook his hand and it felt like it was twice the size of my hand. His body was think and muscular and I quickly realized that all 6'9" players aren't built alike. It was quite humbling.

Reactions: Fac and Ironman2

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Are you one of those guys I see picking through whatever flowers Wegmans has left at 5:00pm on Valentine's Day?
No, I’m one the guys trying to box you out in the card aisle the night before because I forgot all about it.

Reactions: bdgan

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
I was a guard but our center was 6'9" and most opponents had guys just as big. I remember thinking I can play against those guys. Then I met Wes Unseld before a Baltimore Bullets game. I shook his hand and it felt like it was twice the size of my hand. His body was think and muscular and I quickly realized that all 6'9" players aren't built alike. It was quite humbling.
I shook Mark Eaton’s hand once in a bar in Jersey. I think his hand wrapped around mine three times. I never felt so small in my life.

Reactions: BobPSU92 and bdgan

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
A memory in the movie thread got my mind thinking back to the late sixties and early seventies.

Then, at this time of year, you would find me on the beaches in South Jersey.

I loved surfing on the beaches at the south end of the island that holds Avalon and Stone Harbor. The big homes had not yet consumed all the land south of the point where Ocean Drive cuts through the marshes to North Wildwood. A dozen or so young men, and a few attractive young women, would grab our boards and go surf there after 5:00.

I never felt so free and full of life as I did then. I can still remember the taste of the ocean.

Anyone else have an ancient memory they want to share?
I miss the large family reunions either in South Jersey or NE Philly. Food galore. Grandprents, aunts, uncles, cousins, with competition at those reunions in baseball, softball, volleyball, and basketball. Our family was very competitive. Whenever it was held in the park next to one of the Delaware River public boat ramps, my dad had our boat in the water and took relatives out on rides. My Uncle Milton had model gas powered airplanes he built that he would allow us to fly. Miss riding my Raleigh ten speed bike everywhere with loads of friends, hanging out, pick up sports, going to the mall, etc. Miss the "shore" mostly OCMD and Fenwick Island, DE. Cruising the beaches and boardwalk looking to meet girls. Learned about crabbing in the bay. Couldn't beat that fresh crab meat. HS sports participation and watching games of sports I didn't play while school was in session. I guess we could all go on & on about the sixties & seventies. It was certainly different, I have to say it was a unique time.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
So many things I miss... buying penny candy from Dennis Reninger at the Hillsgrove General Store in Hillsgrove, PA in the 70s and 80s along with our house up on Elk Creek Road in Sullivan County. Sitting on a mountain top at the edge of cliff having lunch looking out over vast expanses during hunting season. Standing in a trout stream with no one around with the sun glowing on your face and no sounds but the water rushing by you. Growing up on LBI in the summer's and surfing at sunrise watching the sun come up over the Atlantic ocean. I miss the days before cell phones when people with actually sit and talk to each other without their faces buried in their phones.

Last edited:

olelion

Oct 31, 2021
I miss the innocence of the late 50's and early 60's. In my school and neighborhood (suburban Pittsburgh) there were no drugs, virtually no crime, and very limited alcohol consumption. Smoking was rare. Nearly all girls were virgins, or said they were, and most guys treated them with respect. It was idyllic. Lest anyone think this is more naivety than reality, I will note, without bragging, that I was a popular guy in high school. I knew what went on during the brightest days and darkest nights. Classmates through the years have confirmed my observations. Perhaps my school was an outlier, although I had friends in other schools and neighborhoods, and their thoughts echo my own.
sounds familiar

PSU89er

Nov 22, 2023
Thinking about this. If you are honest with yourself, the exact opposite is true.

I used to think I was pretty good. Then I got to play against some D1 players and understood I wasn't all that much of anything. Playing hoops against guys on the football team at PSU, thinking if I had that athletic ability with my skills. I'd be a freak.

Fact is, they were the freaks and I was not. Maybe the older I get the better they were.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdgan

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Thinking about this. If you are honest with yourself, the exact opposite is true.

I used to think I was pretty good. Then I got to play against some D1 players and understood I wasn't all that much of anything. Playing hoops against guys on the football team at PSU, thinking if I had that athletic ability with my skills. I'd be a freak.

The probably is, they were the freaks and I was not. Maybe the older I get the better they were.
I remember playing against Wally Walker from Lancaster area and holding my own. He went on to star for Virginia and then in the NBA. I think he got better more than I did.

LBUfanatic

Nov 1, 2021
A memory in the movie thread got my mind thinking back to the late sixties and early seventies.

Then, at this time of year, you would find me on the beaches in South Jersey.

I loved surfing on the beaches at the south end of the island that holds Avalon and Stone Harbor. The big homes had not yet consumed all the land south of the point where Ocean Drive cuts through the marshes to North Wildwood. A dozen or so young men, and a few attractive young women, would grab our boards and go surf there after 5:00.

I never felt so free and full of life as I did then. I can still remember the taste of the ocean.

Anyone else have an ancient memory they want to share?
Civility.

retsio

Oct 13, 2021
To me - this is an excellent topic and conversation. So many stories from different viewpoints of athleticism or the vitality of family and friendships.

I will not bore you with the many names and events that my reverie has brought to mind - other than, as an older (not old) poster, I am very happy to have been part of the overall story. Right now, I wonder where and what happened to those we have met and mingled with. As my mind is able to remember - times of 'then' were far different than times of 'today'.

Here's to no more regrets of the past - just Take Care of the .... now.

BrianS

Oct 31, 2021
Spending the summer playing pickup baseball games during the day and little league baseball in the evening, all the while hanging out with friends. Not quite like The Sandlot, but similar.
Ceasar, sounds an awful like my "early days" growing up in late 60's - early 70's in the Skook!

Reactions: Ceasar

BrianS

Oct 31, 2021
Some things I hang on to. Every Christmas I break out the Lionel train set(s) just as I did in the 50s with my father. I know I'll have to eventually let it go but I'll keep going as long as I can
Just last summer, I got rid of the train "platform" my dad had made for our Lionel train my brother and I woke up to one Christmas morning in the mid 60's! My son didn't want it. My brother didn't want it. At 66, I had no use for it anymore. So sad, but great memories! I still have the tracks and the whole train set!

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Some things I hang on to. Every Christmas I break out the Lionel train set(s) just as I did in the 50s with my father. I know I'll have to eventually let it go but I'll keep going as long as I can
I treasure this as much as anything in life. I know my Dad held those trains and cherished sharing them with me. When they come out in December my heart hurts, I’ll never forget Dad.

Reactions: MrTailgate

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login