This can’t be good for JSU recruiting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Oh. He knows the problem didn’t start three years ago. He lived in and practices in Jackson.

The increase in the homicide rate since the act was passed though is telling.

View attachment 23484

That chart is from this article from CNN: Link

I don’t know if I’d agree with him but it’s something to consider though.

I think crime has gone up like that pretty much everywhere and the charts for most cities will look like that. Might have started a little earlier in Jackson than other places.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Parts of Chicago are incredible. Parts are dangerous hell holes. And they're really not far apart distance wise. All it will take for Chicago to go to hell is to elect a mayor woke enough to not protect the bubble from the hell hole.
At this point, this is the best case scenario for all these cities. Funny thing is, Jackson has the population base to get a semi-conservative candidate in there as mayor, if they would just go out and vote.

TNT.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
A friend who’s an attorney thinks a large chunk of the blame goes to the Landowners Protection Act from three years ago. Out of state apartment owners need to be responsible for having security instead of having immunity.

Link: Here.

(Yeah, yeah, I know it’s from the Clarion-Ledger site but it’s an AP article)

The problem is if the landlords are held responsible for providing security, the rent goes up and becomes more unaffordable for many who already struggle to pay for it. If landlords keep having to pay judgements, then they become uninsurable and they'll shutter up the apartments and invest elsewhere.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Not to sound callous to you folks in Jackson or anything, but we in North Mississippi just shrug our shoulders at it. Its no longer interesting to view from afar.

there is no fixing it. Hell.. Kenneth stokes is elected and re-elected, Hinds county supervisors are throwing fists in session, homicide and crime is the norm, they can barely keep the water flowing, and there is nothing substantive being done about it other than having a hand out for more money. Money that is then distributed out to outstretched hands and disappears with little to show for it.

Its an intriguing sociology experiment…. How long can it go before people come to their senses? Or will it crash, burn, and bankrupt out.

I mean.. the interstates run in four directions out of Jackson. Leave the madness. My advice? Take the one running north until you see competency.
Everyone who wants to has already left, so pull your nose back down out of the clouds of Mt. Pious. None of this affects the people who live in the suburbs any more than it affects you. The problem is, we're all in this together, especially if you care about Mississippi and/or Mississippi State. You can take steps to disallow the madness from affecting you (such as what you say, and what most everybody has already done) but at the same time care about the Capital City. 'Competence' is only as good as the people in charge. Incompetence can come to your city too, you know.

The only people left in Jackson are the ones who can't get out and the ones who love it. So your little diatribe about leaving is affecting literally no one. It's not your callousness that is the problem, it's your ignorance.

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
Everyone who wants to has already left, so pull your nose back down out of the clouds of Mt. Pious. None of this affects the people who live in the suburbs any more than it affects you. The problem is, we're all in this together, especially if you care about Mississippi and/or Mississippi State. You can take steps to disallow the madness from affecting you (such as what you say, and what most everybody has already done) but at the same time care about the Capital City. 'Competence' is only as good as the people in charge. Incompetence can come to your city too, you know.

The only people left in Jackson are the ones who can't get out and the ones who love it. So your little diatribe about leaving is affecting literally no one. It's not your callousness that is the problem, it's your ignorance.

Well. Ok. Thanks for the pep talk.

what can I do to help from Mt. Pious? To correct the problem that is Jackson, MS?

Besides gripe on a message board?

What can I, and others hundreds of miles away, do to stop the incompetence of the Capitol city? What can we do, besides griping on a message board, to stop fighting at Hinds County board of supervisors meetings? To dump people like Kenneth Stokes who publicly tells people to throw rocks at police cruisers in pursuit of criminals? To stop police officers from smoking weed in a public space? To stop DAs from turning criminals loose time and time again? To keep basic utilities functioning? People vote for this idiocy. Again and again and again and again and again.

Aside from the states taxpayer money going to temporarily bail them out so things can just crumble again in 5 to 10 years?

please… absolve me of my ignorance.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Just curious. Out of the 115,500 eligible voters, what is the demographic breakdown?

20,000 votes out of 115,500 seems crazy.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Well. Ok. Thanks for the pep talk.

what can I do to help from Mt. Pious? To correct the problem that is Jackson, MS?

Besides gripe on a message board?

What can I, and others hundreds of miles away, do to stop the incompetence of the Capitol city? What can we do, besides griping on a message board, to stop fighting at Hinds County board of supervisors meetings? To dump people like Kenneth Stokes who publicly tells people to throw rocks at police cruisers in pursuit of criminals? To stop police officers from smoking weed in a public space? To stop DAs from turning criminals loose time and time again? To keep basic utilities functioning? People vote for this idiocy. Again and again and again and again and again.

Aside from the states taxpayer money going to temporarily bail them out so things can just crumble again in 5 to 10 years?

please… absolve me of my ignorance.
Nobody said you had to help. Step one would be just not to hurt. Step two would be recognizing that a bad Jackson hurts us all. Don't talk down on it, don't encourage people to leave or never venture there in the first place.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yep.

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."
--Elie Wiesel

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
Nobody said you had to help. Step one would be just not to hurt. Step two would be recognizing that a bad Jackson hurts us all. Don't talk down on it, don't encourage people to leave or never venture there in the first place.

Ok. No problem. Just go from the attitude of Clark Griswold to the attitude of Ellen Griswold in relation to Cousin Eddie.

Meanwhile maybe they can keep trash pickup going since they almost lost that as well. Sorry.. that was more negativity from me that hurts Jackson.

I’m all for ignoring it and hoping it goes away or fixes itself btw.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
You can make the “good parts, bad parts” argument of virtually every city. The good parts of Chicago seem more defined than in New Orleans, Houston, etc.

But, if youre trying to mitigate the risk of 800 deaths in a city with a population larger than Mississippi’s, that thought process must dominate you’re life. Are you driving on a daily basis? That level of risk aversion seems above and beyond anything considered reasonable. I can’t imagine the mitigation steps someone with that mindset must be taking with regards to COVID.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You can make the “good parts, bad parts” argument of virtually every city. The good parts of Chicago seem more defined than in New Orleans, Houston, etc.

But, if youre trying to mitigate the risk of 800 deaths in a city with a population larger than Mississippi’s, that thought process must dominate you’re life. Are you driving on a daily basis? That level of risk aversion seems above and beyond anything considered reasonable. I can’t imagine the mitigation steps someone with that mindset must be taking with regards to COVID.

Places like Jackson, Memphis, and Birmingham don't have good parts like Chicago. Not only are they not as nice, they don't, to my knowledge, have a stretch where you can walk for 30 minutes and never see a bad spot. And I think I could walk for an hour and a half in Chicago, from west to east and then north and never see a bad spot, although I'm not positive.

New Orleans doesn't quite have nice parts like Chicago either, but it does have iconic parts.

And I was going to say you don't have a risk of 800 deaths in a city with a population the size of Mississippi, because you have places from inside the loop to say the area around lincoln park (and I'm sure other areas that I don't know about) that are extremely safe, and you have places that are much more dangerous than that. But I don't know how safe that area is now looking at this:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/10/29/22751518/downtown-chicago-loop-shootings-murder-river-north. Not sure how that shooting per 1k people compares. They're all down at .5 per thousand or less it looks like. It's a lot easier to find murder rates than just shooting rates. In 2020, it looks like Memphis led the way with .242 murders per 1,000. https://www.statista.com/statistics/718903/murder-rate-in-us-cities-in-2015/

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Chicago is great. I’m guessing I spent 30 days there in 2021. I don’t see how anyone could not enjoy it.

I don’t really get the Chicago rhetoric at all. Sure, it’s got its bad parts like anywhere else. But it’s not even in the Top 10 of homicide rates. Jackson is at 99.5, Chicago is at like 28 in terms of murder rate. Chicago would have to have 2,639 murders in a year to match what happened in Jackson in 2021.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Well that certainly explains a big part of it but either:

A: many white people are voting for the problems

Or

B: a lot of white people aren’t voting

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Tacodawg, you got your own chart!

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Places like Jackson, Memphis, and Birmingham don't have good parts like Chicago. Not only are they not as nice, they don't, to my knowledge, have a stretch where you can walk for 30 minutes and never see a bad spot. And I think I could walk for an hour and a half in Chicago, from west to east and then north and never see a bad spot, although I'm not positive.

New Orleans doesn't quite have nice parts like Chicago either, but it does have iconic parts.

And I was going to say you don't have a risk of 800 deaths in a city with a population the size of Mississippi, because you have places from inside the loop to say the area around lincoln park (and I'm sure other areas that I don't know about) that are extremely safe, and you have places that are much more dangerous than that. But I don't know how safe that area is now looking at this:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/10/29/22751518/downtown-chicago-loop-shootings-murder-river-north. Not sure how that shooting per 1k people compares. They're all down at .5 per thousand or less it looks like. It's a lot easier to find murder rates than just shooting rates. In 2020, it looks like Memphis led the way with .242 murders per 1,000. https://www.statista.com/statistics/718903/murder-rate-in-us-cities-in-2015/
Yep, Chicago has big money influence on those 'safe' areas. Jackson, Memphis, Birmingham? Not so much. Memphis has the most of those 3, followed by Birmingham, and then of course Jackson is last.

I'd venture to say that most of the money in Jackson is state-owned. The middle class have kept Fondren and Belhaven reasonable. The small pocket of big money is over in Eastover. Jackson needs big investment in a bad way. Unfortunately most of the super rich Jacksonites, with real money (not salaried doctors and lawyers), have moved to Dallas/Denver/Seattle long ago.

Most of the middle and upper class money in Jackson/Memphis/Birmingham is in the suburbs, but again, that's not real money, so the city proper areas stagnate. People think Birmingham is booming, ha! They don't really know what a real boom is.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Ok. No problem. Just go from the attitude of Clark Griswold to the attitude of Ellen Griswold in relation to Cousin Eddie.

Meanwhile maybe they can keep trash pickup going since they almost lost that as well. Sorry.. that was more negativity from me that hurts Jackson.

I’m all for ignoring it and hoping it goes away or fixes itself btw.
Good for you. But this state desperately needs an attractive area to keep its young people from leaving. Right now the only possibilities are Jackson, Memphis' south sprawl, Gulfport/Biloxi, Tupelo and the college towns. Maybe Natchez and Laurel if they like rehabbing old towns and such.

It's not about caring about Jackson. It's about caring about Mississippi.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Is it about attractive areas? Or more about attractive opportunities?

Little bit of both. Some people are going to go whereever they can find the best job, but there are lots of people (probably more people?) that pick where they want to live and then start looking for jobs there. Nashville gets a lot of those people from the Southeast now. Atlanta used to (and I guess still does?). There are other people that will consider Nashville, Chatanooga, Atlanta, and maybe even Memphis or Birmingham, but Jackson is a bridge to far and the Coast not even on their radar. So yes, not having a decent city hurts us. There are plenty of small towns that are nice enough, but there's not a lot to be said for them that can't be said of places all over the Southeast. The Coast is the only part of Mississippi that really offers a unique value proposition, and it's still smaller than a lot of people want to consider.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Jackson, Memphis, New Orleans, Atlanta. They are all spiking in crime. All cities seem to be seeing spikes in crime. People forgot how to act during Covid shutdowns. Got extra money for nothing. Spent too much time at home doing nothing. Covid restrictions keep tourists at home. Not as many on streets now so criminal get more brazen. In New Orleans someone is killed almost every day if not a few a day. Someone is is mugged every day and or carjacked. Seems to be a regular occurrence. Definitely have to be on the lookout. I don't near as much time in Jackson New Orleans or Memphis as I used. Especially with more remote work.i only go to the city when I have to.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
The common thing those cities don't have many of

first time offenders. All "catch and release" .

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Memphis suburbs and coast are already better than Jackson area and suburbs. But still don't compare to areas out of Mississippi. One thing Mississippi has going for it conservatism as far as taxes goes but when you are so poor with crumbling infrastructure crime in the capital and not many high paying jobs it makes it real easy to live in places like Alabama Louisiana Florida Tennessee Texas. Places that have higher paying jobs and are still pretty conservative most of the states. And the cost of living isn't that much higher sometimes the same. Texas seems to be changing with the influx of Californians and others moving there. But for the most part Texas is still considered a safe state not as much crime, much much better infrastructure. Lots of quiet towns with high paying jobs near by. Mississippi especially in Jackson area just has low paying jobs and poverty. It is pretty quiet. But still a lot of poverty and then high crime for a small population.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Considering the hell hole that Chicago is now that saying something

I was in 3 different parts of Chicago last week...after sunset even! Cant say I ever felt unsafe...and one visit was to a less than nice area. oooh spooky, right?

I wouldnt live there though- 17 that. I also wouldnt live near there, and thats after growing up near there...but thats for different reasons.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Parts of Chicago are incredible. Parts are dangerous hell holes. And they're really not far apart distance wise. All it will take for Chicago to go to hell is to elect a mayor woke enough to not protect the bubble from the hell hole.

Plus there is the risk that their unfunded pensions will screw everything up. Be interesting to see what happens when they can no longer kick the can down the road. They already have high taxes, so it's hard to see them raising them enough to meet their obligations. It's also hard to see them allowing pensioners to just not get paid.

Its no New Orleans where you have crack houses next to mansions, but yeah the nice and **** areas of Chicago are close to one another.

That city's financial obligations will be very interesting to watch as it plays out. Heck, the state's financial obligations will be very interesting to watch too.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

You lecture him and tell him to not be ignorant(even though he wasnt ignorant, he was apathetic), and then when he asks you how to help and to not be ignorant, you tell him he doesnt need to help. Instead, he needs to recognize that a bad Jackson hurts everyone.

Show him how a bad Jackson hurts him up in NEMS(Tupelo?).
Explain why he should encourage people go visit or live in Jackson.

AtlantaDawg

Nov 27, 2017
Jackson, Memphis, New Orleans, Atlanta. They are all spiking in crime. All cities seem to be seeing spikes in crime. People forgot how to act during Covid shutdowns. Got extra money for nothing. Spent too much time at home doing nothing. Covid restrictions keep tourists at home. Not as many on streets now so criminal get more brazen. In New Orleans someone is killed almost every day if not a few a day. Someone is is mugged every day and or carjacked. Seems to be a regular occurrence. Definitely have to be on the lookout. I don't near as much time in Jackson New Orleans or Memphis as I used. Especially with more remote work.i only go to the city when I have to.

Common thread:
- All run by democrats who believe the criminals are the victims, and the police are the problem... The bad guys are the good guys, and the good guys are the bad guys.
- BLM, Hollywood, and the media promote cashless bail (because the criminals cannot afford bail, which I thought was the point of cleaning up the streets), defunding the police, et. al.

If I were a cop - based on what I have seen in the past 18 months by our "leadership", media, and the "influencers" - when I received a call, I would just sit at the donut shop for 30 minutes and wait for the criminals to sort things out... then head on over to mark the bodies with tape. That's a hell of a lot better than showing up at an active crime scene (or worse, domestic dispute), and try to take action alone with 20 iPhones pointed at you to catch anything that you are doing wrong...

I suspect a LOT of cops are doing this, just waiting out their 20 years of service so that they can retire with a pension. It beats getting vilified, fired, and worse - going to jail.

I live in Atlanta, although I moved out of the city to the burbs during our BLM riots and curfews. Here is what I observed:

1. Our mayor, Keisha Lance-Bottoms has a press conference when tensions are high (protesters staring down cops trying to protect CNN Center), stating that as a black mother, she does not believe that her teenage kids are safe with the Atlanta police. She then invites Killer Mike with a t-shirt that states "KILL YOUR MASTERS" to spew an anti-Trump message. Riots then ensued. Who would have guessed that this would happen?

2. My grown son jumps on an Uber about 2 years ago and the driver is a former police captain. He says that he makes more money, and it's safer working for Uber than being a cop. He said to be careful, because in Atlanta, cops only respond to active shootings on the weekends (due to the high crime). He said that it can take hours for a cop to show up for robberies and traffic accidents. He further stated that Atlanta cops were leaving in droves. He said that they are all pissed off with what is going on... .He further stated that they were recruiting subpar people to replace them and rushing them through the academy, which will cause all kinds of problems down the road.

3. I met a guy that was working at a dry-dock in East Georgia. He said that he was a former cop, got stabbed, and his wife begged him to quit. He did.

4. Our DA claims that a taser is a deadly weapon when a cop uses it against unruly college students who ignored orders and our curfew. The cop is fired. The same DA claims that when a man steals a taser and uses it on a cop (and gets shot and killed by the cop as a result), the taser is NOT a deadly weapon.

The criminals and the cops are watching all of this unfold and are behaving accordingly.

The result of all of this? More crime and dramatic decrease in property values within the city. The calling card for the Democrat party.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I don’t really get the Chicago rhetoric at all. Sure, it’s got its bad parts like anywhere else. But it’s not even in the Top 10 of homicide rates. Jackson is at 99.5, Chicago is at like 28 in terms of murder rate. Chicago would have to have 2,639 murders in a year to match what happened in Jackson in 2021.

I am convinced the Chicago rhetoric is largely based on Tucker and similar op-ed shows and sites focusing in Chicago over the last handful of years as a way to show how 'liberalism is killing cities' or 'the lack of outrage over black on black crime'. It seems to largely be a big old whataboutism to try and flip the narrative or to move the light off of something they dont want to focus on.
Chicago is an easy target since it and the county is overwhelmingly left leaning, it has race relations issues, and it is so large that there will inevitably be plenty of issues that can be commented on without context in soundbite hot takes.

^ not a popular opinion on this site, but its pretty simple to see from afar.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I am convinced the Chicago rhetoric is largely based on Tucker and similar op-ed shows and sites focusing in Chicago over the last handful of years as a way to show how 'liberalism is killing cities' or 'the lack of outrage over black on black crime'. It seems to largely be a big old whataboutism to try and flip the narrative or to move the light off of something they dont want to focus on.
Chicago is an easy target since it and the county is overwhelmingly left leaning, it has race relations issues, and it is so large that there will inevitably be plenty of issues that can be commented on without context in soundbite hot takes.

They don't need Chicago for that. Basically every decent sized city is under democrat control and every one other than NYC and San Diego and probably a few others has been under exclusively democrat control for a while. Any of the most dangerous cities could be used to point at democrats. Chicago is just the biggest city with a bad crime problem, so it gets used, even though it isn't the worst. It produces the most eyepopping total numbers while being well off the worst murder rate. If NYC reverts to the pre Rudy Guliani days, then you'll probably see it get talked about instead of Chicago, even though both of those will likely be a good bit safer than Philadelphia, Baltimore, St. Louis, Detroit, etc.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Yeah but it’s not like Chicago is the only left-leaning city with a bad trend on crime. How much the liberal / conservative policies affects the crime rate certainly is up for debate, but there are numerous other cities worse than Chicago that have similar politics. St. Louis for example. But for some reason people only want to talk about Chicago. It’s odd.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Common thread:
- All run by democrats who believe the criminals are the victims, and the police are the problem... The bad guys are the good guys, and the good guys are the bad guys.
- BLM, Hollywood, and the media promote cashless bail (because the criminals cannot afford bail, which I thought was the point of cleaning up the streets), defunding the police, et. al.

If I were a cop - based on what I have seen in the past 18 months by our "leadership", media, and the "influencers" - when I received a call, I would just sit at the donut shop for 30 minutes and wait for the criminals to sort things out... then head on over to mark the bodies with tape. That's a hell of a lot better than showing up at an active crime scene (or worse, domestic dispute), and try to take action alone with 20 iPhones pointed at you to catch anything that you are doing wrong...

I suspect a LOT of cops are doing this, just waiting out their 20 years of service so that they can retire with a pension. It beats getting vilified, fired, and worse - going to jail.

I live in Atlanta, although I moved out of the city to the burbs during our BLM riots and curfews. Here is what I observed:

1. Our mayor, Keisha Lance-Bottoms has a press conference when tensions are high (protesters staring down cops trying to protect CNN Center), stating that as a black mother, she does not believe that her teenage kids are safe with the Atlanta police. She then invites Killer Mike with a t-shirt that states "KILL YOUR MASTERS" to spew an anti-Trump message. Riots then ensued. Who would have guessed that this would happen?

2. My grown son jumps on an Uber about 2 years ago and the driver is a former police captain. He says that he makes more money, and it's safer working for Uber than being a cop. He said to be careful, because in Atlanta, cops only respond to active shootings on the weekends (due to the high crime). He said that it can take hours for a cop to show up for robberies and traffic accidents. He further stated that Atlanta cops were leaving in droves. He said that they are all pissed off with what is going on... .He further stated that they were recruiting subpar people to replace them and rushing them through the academy, which will cause all kinds of problems down the road.

3. I met a guy that was working at a dry-dock in East Georgia. He said that he was a former cop, got stabbed, and his wife begged him to quit. He did.

4. Our DA claims that a taser is a deadly weapon when a cop uses it against unruly college students who ignored orders and our curfew. The cop is fired. The same DA claims that when a man steals a taser and uses it on a cop (and gets shot and killed by the cop as a result), the taser is NOT a deadly weapon.

The criminals and the cops are watching all of this unfold and are behaving accordingly.

The result of all of this? More crime and dramatic decrease in property values within the city. The calling card for the Democrat party.

Problem I'm seeing now too is that the crooks aren't happy with what they are getting in the city and are starting to leak to the suburbs to get what they want and go hide back in the city. The city protects them. It's going to get where people aren't going to want to work for companies unless they can remote from a place not near the city. Of course. Some people love the urban snd city environment no matter what so they will stay, I know some of my coworkers get offended why I tell them k don't want to live near our office. Especially the more I can remote work

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Holy crap... 99.5 murders per 100K population? That's not Detroit or Chicago bad... That is Caracas or Juarez level bad.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
We’ve seen drastic DECREASES in crime all across the country for several generations now. In fact, the crime trends over the last 30 years should be an incredible point of pride for all Americans.

How do you reconcile that much larger perspective with everything you typed? To me, you sound like an Auburn fan citing a recent Iron Bowl victory while ignoring a 10-20 record over a larger time frame (and yes, I’m aware those aren’t the true outcomes of the Iron Bowl).

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
After reading this thread, I hope some of you don't work for the MS Dev Authority....sheesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login