This can’t be good for JSU recruiting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I bet in those 3 wards most of the crimes are in a certain small group of blocks.

The book talking to strangers has a chapter on how St. Louis did a study on this in the early 90s. They fixed crime and then stopped what was working.

I’m willing to bet Bc it was called ……….”racist”

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I bet in those 3 wards most of the crimes are in a certain small group of blocks.

The book talking to strangers has a chapter on how St. Louis did a study on this in the early 90s. They fixed crime and then stopped what was working.

I’m willing to bet Bc it was called ……….”racist”

Probably so but not sure. In the investigation it was pointed out that there was not a lot of homicides in the Fondren, Belhaven and Downtown areas. Property crimes seem to be more prevalent in those areas.

In regards to the policies that worked being called racist, I would be easily convinced that was the case. Hell, when anyone ever suggests moving the zoo to LeFleur's Bluff, it's labeled as racist by some.

Gladwell's books are great and insightful. I'm currently rereading The Tipping Point now.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’ve only read the one. Interesting to me Gladwell seems to be left leaning and a bleeding heart liberal.

In that particular book, he basically says he agrees with the policing strategy and questions why more people don’t do it. But then he follows a side that constantly fights against things that work Bc they are “racist”.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
A friend who’s an attorney thinks a large chunk of the blame goes to the Landowners Protection Act from three years ago. Out of state apartment owners need to be responsible for having security instead of having immunity.

Link: Here.

(Yeah, yeah, I know it’s from the Clarion-Ledger site but it’s an AP article)

Finally took the time to look into the Landowner's Protection Act and it is a really weird thing for your friend to hang his hat on. It's really not even much to do with apartment complexes. The big part of it is that before, businesses in dangerous areas were essentially required to provide security to customers/clients on their property or risk civil liability if they were injured by a criminal. Now they are only required to do so if there are three instances of violence on their property within 3 years.

I guess before maybe it was prohibitively risky to offer apartments in much of jackson without providing onsite security, but I'm not sure how much private security at apartment complexes really reduces violent crime. I'm sure it helps some just as more potential eye witnesses means more deterrence, but I doubt Jackson's violent crime numbers are being driven by incidents in the common areas of apartment complexes.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
We’ve seen drastic DECREASES in crime all across the country for several generations now. In fact, the crime trends over the last 30 years should be an incredible point of pride for all Americans.

How do you reconcile that much larger perspective with everything you typed? To me, you sound like an Auburn fan citing a recent Iron Bowl victory while ignoring a 10-20 record over a larger time frame (and yes, I’m aware those aren’t the true outcomes of the Iron Bowl).

All of this would be right if you were typing it in say 2019. We have had pretty drastic upticks from our lows. Still no where near as bad as it was during the height of it, but still not good.

I wasn't old enough to be aware, but I also don't think LEOs were vilified when crime was awful before? Once you make being a policeman an awful proposition, such as in a place like Minneapolis, I don't know how you undo it. There aren't going to be enough smart, self sacrificing people to just take a stupid and thankless risk like that. Those people are out there, but there are other ways they can serve without being vilified. You're more likely to get people willing to take a stupid risk because they really want authority/power, which is a terrible way to fill out a police force. I guess if violence gets bad enough maybe there will be enough of a backlash that police will be appreciated again? Already much of the antipolice animosity is driven by affluent people who are insulated from crime. So maybe their influence will be reduced when enough poor people get hurt or killed.

ETA: A source reflecting the increase: https://news.wttw.com/2021/10/06/us...ation-s-homicide-rate-modern-history-cdc-says

"The new data show the U.S. homicide rate increased from about six homicides per 100,000 people in 2019 to 7.8 per 100,000 in 2020, according to NCHS. Researchers at the center noted that the 2020 homicide rate of 7.8 is the highest recorded in the United States since 1995 but is still significantly lower than the rates in the early 1980s, which topped 10 homicides per 100,000 people."

Looks like the homicide rate peaked at 9.71 in 1991 and then bottomed out in 2014 at 4.44 per 100,000. So we're about 1.91 homicides per 100k lower than the peak, and 3.36 homicides per 100k higher than the trough. So we've given back more than half the gains over a pretty short time frame (although that's comparing numbers from two different sources, so not positive the comparison is right.) Would be interesting to see the homicide rate over time city by city.

ETA II: Chicago homicide per 100k is up to about 29. Down from a peak of it looks like around 34, and up from a trough of around 15.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-history-of-chicago-homicides-htmlstory.html

ETA III: New York homicided per 100k peaked at 14.5 and declined to 2.9 in 2019. https://www.disastercenter.com/crime/nycrime.htm Found other sites saying murder rate in NYC had increased 30% in 2020 (which would still only be 3.77 per 100k if the prior source is correct).

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I’ve only read the one. Interesting to me Gladwell seems to be left leaning and a bleeding heart liberal.

In that particular book, he basically says he agrees with the policing strategy and questions why more people don’t do it. But then he follows a side that constantly fights against things that wen Bc they are “racist”.

Robert Conquest Law of Politics - "Everybody is conservative about what he knows best."

Even though that is explicitly about politics, I think it is possible more true if you apply it with 'little c' conservative.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Memphis suburbs and coast are already better than Jackson area and suburbs. But still don't compare to areas out of Mississippi. One thing Mississippi has going for it conservatism as far as taxes goes but when you are so poor with crumbling infrastructure crime in the capital and not many high paying jobs it makes it real easy to live in places like Alabama Louisiana Florida Tennessee Texas. Places that have higher paying jobs and are still pretty conservative most of the states. And the cost of living isn't that much higher sometimes the same. Texas seems to be changing with the influx of Californians and others moving there. But for the most part Texas is still considered a safe state not as much crime, much much better infrastructure. Lots of quiet towns with high paying jobs near by. Mississippi especially in Jackson area just has low paying jobs and poverty. It is pretty quiet. But still a lot of poverty and then high crime for a small population.
Jackson has the potential to be very cool. The suburbs are fine, and there are plenty of good jobs available in the metro. That's why so many people live there despite its shortcomings.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Gladwell wrote for the American Spectator.

He is among the rarest of birds: The conservative intellectual.

But he's also Canadian so he's conservative by their standards.

militarydog

Nov 9, 2012
Unfortunately the crime situation is going to be almost impossible to change as the culture of the United States has changed. According to cdc.gov, as of 2019, 54.9% of children born in Mississippi are born to unwed mothers. In Jackson 82% of African American children and 24% of white children are born out of wedlock. Those are staggering numbers. Financial consideration aside that is a huge emotional and disciplinary gap left to be filled by something. By the time I was twelve or thirteen I was no longer physically afraid of my mother. If I didn’t have a father I can’t imagine where I would have gotten a model for whom to pattern myself or discipline me.

Last edited:

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yeah, it's offbeat from my perspective but the guy is a scary smart conservative attorney who thinks that.

And if he thinks that, I thought it was worth throwing out here in this thread.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I hear you, but lets look at the bigger picture; we spend so much time talking about a tiny fraction of overall crime in homicide rates. But the FBI estimates in 2020 all violent crime only increased 5.6%, and property crimes actually decreased by 7.8%.

Am I really suppose to believe that the perception of police officers caused citizens to murder each other more, but rape, rob and steal significantly less? Not sure I buy that.
Rape and robbery are violent crimes. And really the only part that frightens people is random violent crimes. I don't know that they keep up with this in real time statistics. You usually have to take a look back at history once all the trials have ended, etc.

Most people can handle the violent crime between known acquaintances. You are who you hang around with, in other words.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Common thread:
- All run by democrats who believe the criminals are the victims, and the police are the problem... The bad guys are the good guys, and the good guys are the bad guys.
- BLM, Hollywood, and the media promote cashless bail (because the criminals cannot afford bail, which I thought was the point of cleaning up the streets), defunding the police, et. al.

If I were a cop - based on what I have seen in the past 18 months by our "leadership", media, and the "influencers" - when I received a call, I would just sit at the donut shop for 30 minutes and wait for the criminals to sort things out... then head on over to mark the bodies with tape. That's a hell of a lot better than showing up at an active crime scene (or worse, domestic dispute), and try to take action alone with 20 iPhones pointed at you to catch anything that you are doing wrong...

I suspect a LOT of cops are doing this, just waiting out their 20 years of service so that they can retire with a pension. It beats getting vilified, fired, and worse - going to jail.

I live in Atlanta, although I moved out of the city to the burbs during our BLM riots and curfews. Here is what I observed:

1. Our mayor, Keisha Lance-Bottoms has a press conference when tensions are high (protesters staring down cops trying to protect CNN Center), stating that as a black mother, she does not believe that her teenage kids are safe with the Atlanta police. She then invites Killer Mike with a t-shirt that states "KILL YOUR MASTERS" to spew an anti-Trump message. Riots then ensued. Who would have guessed that this would happen?

2. My grown son jumps on an Uber about 2 years ago and the driver is a former police captain. He says that he makes more money, and it's safer working for Uber than being a cop. He said to be careful, because in Atlanta, cops only respond to active shootings on the weekends (due to the high crime). He said that it can take hours for a cop to show up for robberies and traffic accidents. He further stated that Atlanta cops were leaving in droves. He said that they are all pissed off with what is going on... .He further stated that they were recruiting subpar people to replace them and rushing them through the academy, which will cause all kinds of problems down the road.

3. I met a guy that was working at a dry-dock in East Georgia. He said that he was a former cop, got stabbed, and his wife begged him to quit. He did.

4. Our DA claims that a taser is a deadly weapon when a cop uses it against unruly college students who ignored orders and our curfew. The cop is fired. The same DA claims that when a man steals a taser and uses it on a cop (and gets shot and killed by the cop as a result), the taser is NOT a deadly weapon.

The criminals and the cops are watching all of this unfold and are behaving accordingly.

The result of all of this? More crime and dramatic decrease in property values within the city. The calling card for the Democrat party.

TL/DR: If we don't pucker up and kiss their asses, cops are justified to suck off the government teat. After all, if we didn't have cops, who would show up a day after a crime happens and shrug?

AtlantaDawg

Nov 27, 2017
Unfortunately the crime situation is going to be almost impossible to change as the culture of the United States has changed. According to cdc.gov, as of 2029, 54.9% of children born in Mississippi are born to unwed mothers. In Jackson 82% of African American children and 24% of white children are born out of wedlock. Those are staggering numbers. Financial consideration aside that is a huge emotional and disciplinary gap left to be filled by something. By the time I was twelve or thirteen I was no longer physically afraid of my mother. If I didn’t have a father I can’t imagine where I would have gotten a model for whom to pattern myself or discipline me.

Agree with you 100%.

This has NOTHING to do with race. It has to do with leadership, mentorship, and guidance.

Not to sound like an old man, but the young people today idolize the sports stars who have a handful or more of baby-momma's that are tapping into those multi-million paychecks. In the real world, those baby-momma's are tapping into government resources that are funded by taxpayers. It is not discouraged.

Add this to the fact that we are letting criminals out of jail for COVID protocol, have mercy on the lawbreaker who cannot pay bail, etc. and you have a crap society.
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/jail-break-worst-skyrocketing-crime-rates-sen-tom-cotton

And the sad part is, that we are VOTING for this crap because the Dems and media give us the sob story....

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Financial consideration aside that is a huge emotional and disciplinary gap left to be filled by something. By the time I was twelve or thirteen I was no longer physically afraid of my mother. If I didn’t have a father I can’t imagine where I would have gotten a model for whom to pattern myself or discipline me.
I dont remember when I was no longer physically afraid of my mom. Though I also dont remember when I was physically afraid of her.
Same for my dad.

They disciplined me, yet I wasnt physically afraid of them.

--I do agree that a huge financial, emotional, and disciplinary gap can exist in some 1 parent households and acknowledge it is an issue.--

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Correct. People keep thinking that if you put lipstick on a pig it becomes attractive.

Nothing wrong with Mississippi. We just need to utilize what we have.

We can’t do that in Jackson if criminals are running the asylum. That’s true anywhere.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
That makes more sense now.

Talking to strangers was a great book. im glad I read it but he contradicts himself in a way several times.

Just finished premonition by Michael Lewis. He bashes trump a lot but then gives an example of what Gavin newsome did wrong. Another book I’m glad I read but contradicts itself.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I hear you, but lets look at the bigger picture; we spend so much time talking about a tiny fraction of overall crime in homicide rates. But the FBI estimates in 2020 all violent crime only increased 5.6%, and property crimes actually decreased by 7.8%.

Am I really suppose to believe that the perception of police officers caused citizens to murder each other more, but rape, rob and steal significantly less? Not sure I buy that.

Not sure who argued perception about cops caused people to murder more. I was pointing out that the perception of cops has changed as a reason to maybe be more concerned about the uptick in violence, even though it's not as bad as the late 80's, early 90's. Aside from the fact that the late 80's, early 90's were plenty bad and we don't want any uptick from our lows, I think there is a real risk that cities will spiral more because there will be too few cops and too few good people willing to be cops.

As far as what is causing the uptick in violence, I think a lot of cities have gotten worse about releasing repeat offenders, and so there ends up being more violence, both because there are fewer disincentives to being violent and there are more people on the street prone to violence, or at least criminality. That said, that probably can't be the main issue, as I don't think Jackson has gotten any worse on that perspective has it? I don't know what has changed in the last three years in Jackson that explain how sharp the spike is. We may look back after the fact and find out it was something off the wall, like maybe major drug producers started manufacturing/processing drug with a chemical that made people more violent and/or volatile? But I would guess it's a lot of factors that result in a spike much bigger than you'd think from how small the changes were and that we may never really know, just like we don't really know why crime spiked so bad in the 80's and 90's and then dropped. Individually, it doesn't appear to be the crack epidemic, legalization of abortion, broken windows policing, statists driven policing, leaded/unleaded gasoline, truth in sentencing laws, etc. Either there are other factors we can't identify, or those factors compounded each other in ways we can't really figure out.

ETA: with respect to violent crimes being up and property crimes being down (and note that rape and robbery are going to be included in violent crimes), I would guess that it's maybe a data collection issue? Mabye as police staffs have become understaffed, particularly in the large cities that drive a lot of the statistics because they are the ones that consistently report, non-violent crimes are just not recorded (or mabye even reported) as much as violent crimes. Just a wild assed guess that seems plausible. You already hear about police departments simply not responding to certain crimes, so maybe they don't even consistently fill out reports on them.

Last edited:

AtlantaDawg

Nov 27, 2017

My solution:

1. Man-made Global Climate Change used to be Global Warming. We heard about the melting of the glaciers, the rising of the seas (so that Miami and NYC will be underwater) and the drowning of the polar bears. Yet, over the past 10 years, Al Gore buys a beach-front mansion in Malibu, Obama buys a beach-front mansion in Martha's Vineyard, and Pelosi buys a $24M mansion on the beach in Florida. What's wrong with this picture? My solution: ENERGY INDEPENDENCE. Get gas prices back to $1.39 per gallon and quit taking bribes from OPEC+.

2. College loans - you borrowed the money, you pay it back. I saved $30K for each of my two kids to go to college so that they could attend college. Don't have kids if you cannot afford them.

3. Crime - "LAW AND ORDER". If we run out of room in the jails, build more jails. Reward what you want more of: law-abiding citizens who respect the police and military personnel who risk their lives for us; punish those who feel otherwise (law-breakers). Cop Killers get executed. Child rapist get executed. If you resist arrest in any way, you get 1 year in prison AUTOMATIC - when a cop pulls you over, you be respectful and obey the cop. If the cop is a racist or a smart-***, deal with it and bring up the charges after the arrest. It works a hell of a lot better when you do that...

4. Investigate and punish ALL politicians who are crooks. Did you know that Joe Biden toured and promoted Theranos and Elizabeth Holmes? I'll bet the media just hasn't gotten around to reporting that... I wonder how much the Biden crime family was paid for this effort? https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...icted-fraudster-elizabeth-holmes-and-theranos.

Build Back Better is a ******** designed to take money from hard-working people, and give it to the poor victims of society. This country is about opportunity. You study hard in school, work hard and rise in your work, and you have an opportunity to make a lot of money. If you are lazy, are a victim, etc... you don't.

It's past time for a little tough love.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Festivus was 2 weeks ago, Tucker.

I'll humor you

My solution:

1. Man-made Global Climate Change used to be Global Warming. We heard about the melting of the glaciers, the rising of the seas (so that Miami and NYC will be underwater) and the drowning of the polar bears. Yet, over the past 10 years, Al Gore buys a beach-front mansion in Malibu, Obama buys a beach-front mansion in Martha's Vineyard, and Pelosi buys a $24M mansion on the beach in Florida. What's wrong with this picture? My solution: ENERGY INDEPENDENCE. Get gas prices back to $1.39 per gallon and quit taking bribes from OPEC+.

Not sure what this has with the ghetto, but we are no less energy independent today than last year. Supply/demand is a ***** and every president works OPEC.

2. College loans - you borrowed the money, you pay it back. I saved $30K for each of my two kids to go to college so that they could attend college. Don't have kids if you cannot afford them.

Not sure what this has with the ghetto, but I agree. But I also think it's 17ed up that we have too many people who can't afford to have kids.

3. Crime - "LAW AND ORDER". If we run out of room in the jails, build more jails. Reward what you want more of: law-abiding citizens who respect the police and military personnel who risk their lives for us; punish those who feel otherwise (law-breakers). Cop Killers get executed. Child rapist get executed. If you resist arrest in any way, you get 1 year in prison AUTOMATIC - when a cop pulls you over, you be respectful and obey the cop. If the cop is a racist or a smart-***, deal with it and bring up the charges after the arrest. It works a hell of a lot better when you do that...

We jail more people than any other country on the planet. If crime is a still problem, it has more to do with other causes than not having space to lock people up. But yes, criminals should be locked up and reasonable punished based on the crime.

4. Investigate and punish ALL politicians who are crooks. Did you know that Joe Biden toured and promoted Theranos and Elizabeth Holmes? I'll bet the media just hasn't gotten around to reporting that... I wonder how much the Biden crime family was paid for this effort? https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...icted-fraudster-elizabeth-holmes-and-theranos.

See #3. Are you sure Biden wasn't defrauded just like anyone else was or are you suggesting he committed the fraud? I hope you maintain this open mind when certain politicians are prosecuted in the coming years for various state and federal crimes. Lock 'em all up if guilty - LAW AND ORDER

Build Back Better is a ******** designed to take money from hard-working people, and give it to the poor victims of society. This country is about opportunity. You study hard in school, work hard and rise in your work, and you have an opportunity to make a lot of money. If you are lazy, are a victim, etc... you don't.

That's a very tidy world you live in. I wish it were so simple.

It's past time for a little tough love.

Last edited:

AtlantaDawg

Nov 27, 2017
Cops don't suck off the government's teet. They risk their lives every day. My point is that the cops would be better off to arrive late at the scene of a crime these days. Just watch the videos of what the cops are faced with (split second decisions that may mean their life) with politicians and the media trying to score points off of them...

- Make an assumption about minorities when you see one or two break the law and you are a racist.
- Make an assumption about a cop when you see one or two bad apples and you are just connecting the dots.

About 20 years ago, I was speeding down the interstate late at night to check into a motel for an early morning meeting. A cop pulls me over. My wallet had fallen from the passenger seat to the floorboard. After I stop, I reach down to the floor and grab my wallet and step out of my car to face the cop. To my surprise, the cop has a spotlight on my and is in a crouched position with his pistol pointing at my chest. I immediately raise my hands. He asks me what I have in my hand, and I explain. In a very relieved voice, he tells me that he thought I had a gun and that a lot of drug runners use this highway late at night. THAT made me think a lot about what a ****** job these guys have....

The next time you see a cop, walk up and thank him or her for everything that they do. You will be amazed at how surprised and grateful they are to hear you say those words.

I believe that 98% of all people (race, religion, occupation) are good people. It's the 2% that you have to weed out.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Cops don't suck off the government's teet. They risk their lives every day. My point is that the cops would be better off to arrive late at the scene of a crime these days. Just watch the videos of what the cops are faced with (split second decisions that may mean their life) with politicians and the media trying to score points off of them...

- Make an assumption about minorities when you see one or two break the law and you are a racist.
- Make an assumption about a cop when you see one or two bad apples and you are just connecting the dots.

About 20 years ago, I was speeding down the interstate late at night to check into a motel for an early morning meeting. A cop pulls me over. My wallet had fallen from the passenger seat to the floorboard. After I stop, I reach down to the floor and grab my wallet and step out of my car to face the cop. To my surprise, the cop has a spotlight on my and is in a crouched position with his pistol pointing at my chest. I immediately raise my hands. He asks me what I have in my hand, and I explain. In a very relieved voice, he tells me that he thought I had a gun and that a lot of drug runners use this highway late at night. THAT made me think a lot about what a ****** job these guys have....

The next time you see a cop, walk up and thank him or her for everything that they do. You will be amazed at how surprised and grateful they are to hear you say those words.

I believe that 98% of all people (race, religion, occupation) are good people. It's the 2% that you have to weed out.

Being a cop isn't in the top 20 of most dangerous jobs. Wanna thank somebody for risking their life at work? Thank a Logger or a Roofer. https://www.facilities.udel.edu/safety/4689/

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
This is why you shouldn't repeat talking points you have never verified. I remember when this hit the news originally 10 years ago.

The Al Gore Malibu mansion line is absolutely stupid. Don't use it anymore Atlanta. It's actually in Monticeto and is "ocean view." The reason that stands out is if you have ever been to Monticeto, it's a damn mountain on the coast.

Al Gore's house is way up in the hills at nearly 500' above sea level. In fact, if Jackson Mississippi were 200' below the ocean, Gore's house in Monticeto would be beach front property... Hell, maybe he was just playing the long game on a real estate investment.**

https://motls.blogspot.com/2010/04/al-gores-new-villa-in-california.html

View attachment 23495

View attachment 23496

Martha's vineyard on the other hand, well Obama is s.o.l.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This is correct.

MDA and our governors have done a good job of attracting business-- whether it's Nissan (Musgrove), Toyota (Barbour), Continental Tire (Bryant), or Amazon (Tater Tot).

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
This is why you shouldn't repeat talking points you have never verified. I remember when this hit the news originally 10 years ago.

The Al Gore Malibu mansion line is absolutely stupid. Don't use it anymore Atlanta. It's actually in Monticeto and is "ocean view." The reason that stands out is if you have ever been to Monticeto, it's a damn mountain on the coast.

Al Gore's house is way up in the hills at nearly 500' above sea level. In fact, if Jackson Mississippi were 200' below the ocean, Gore's house in Monticeto would be beach front property... Hell, maybe he was just playing the long game on a real estate investment.**

https://motls.blogspot.com/2010/04/al-gores-new-villa-in-california.html

View attachment 23495

View attachment 23496

Martha's vineyard on the other hand, well Obama is s.o.l.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login