This may do it for me. This isn’t fun anymore

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
There’ll be a lot of egos in that locker room. But the upside is that this will surely be the slippery slope needed for NIL caps put in place.
Then it will just go back to duffel bags showing up in back seats of cars or on front porches. Pandora has been let out and that ***** ain't going back in that box.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If there are people willing to do it, I don't see a problem.

The overall most disappointing thing about NIL, if I have to be honest, is that is puts MSU at a bigger disadvantage than ever before, at least on the corporate side. That's what we're all upset about the most. And of course the fact that we've now lost the 'connection' to players with the portal added to it. Folks have been buying players since the late 70s.

Reactions: 85Bears

MoronDawg

Nov 26, 2022
If Uncle Phil exhausts his resources attempting to buy the Quacks a football championship, do you suppose he might take a job at Foot Locker?

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
If there are people willing to do it, I don't see a problem.

The overall most disappointing thing about NIL, if I have to be honest, is that is puts MSU at a bigger disadvantage than ever before, at least on the corporate side. That's what we're all upset about the most. And of course the fact that we've now lost the 'connection' to players with the portal added to it. Folks have been buying players since the late 70s.
Honestly, that’s not it with me. I know it’s naive and stupid, but I thoroughly enjoyed the idea of someone playing for the school and watching a team grow. I know all the money was still changing hands, but with it in the background I could ignore it and continue to enjoy college sports. Now? This is pro sports. I don’t blame the kids one bit. Hell, I don’t blame anybody. This is the logical ending if you are dealing with capitalism. It just isn’t something that I can enjoy. I wouldn’t enjoy this if I was a Bama fan or any of the other big boys. It just feels wrong

Reactions: WilCoDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Honestly, that’s not it with me. I know it’s naive and stupid, but I thoroughly enjoyed the idea of someone playing for the school and watching a team grow. I know all the money was still changing hands, but with it in the background I could ignore it and continue to enjoy college sports. Now? This is pro sports. I don’t blame the kids one bit. Hell, I don’t blame anybody. This is the logical ending if you are dealing with capitalism. It just isn’t something that I can enjoy. I wouldn’t enjoy this if I was a Bama fan or any of the other big boys. It just feels wrong
It’s all made for TV now, not passionate followings.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
It’s all made for TV now, not passionate followings.
Oh, I get it. It makes all the sense in the world. And I think that’s the problem. College football was better when it made absolutely no sense. For me that is. But I am old and this is the way it works. The world passes you by and you complain about it as it does.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
What more can he do? He's been everything he can forever. This is not the first year of NIL. He's already doing it. This is the best they will ever be.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
He's showered Oregon with cash before and they've had teams that came close to an NC. It will be a challenge. Is it easy to recruit top black athletes to a state that's maybe 3% black when there are other options?

And I read where some people are criticizing him for not giving more to the poor. But he does give money to young, poor non-whites who work in his factories in Asia.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
He's showered Oregon with cash before and they've had teams that came close to an NC. It will be a challenge. Is it easy to recruit top black athletes to a state that's maybe 3% black when there are other options?

And I read where some people are criticizing him for not giving more to the poor. But he does give money to young, poor non-whites who work in his factories in Asia.

Nike doesn’t own a single overseas manufacturing facility. It’s not their decision who works in a factory they contract with for outsourcing activities. Just ask Hobby Lobby. They will agree.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
There is absolutely nothing capitalistic about this. Capitalism was on full display when athletes got to go to school, live, eat and clothe themselves for "FREE" while the general student population either earned scholarship by making outstanding academic achievement, but still had to find funds to pay for meals and clothing and transportation by borrowing money or getting a job while in school. It was the perfect system for high achievers, either athletically or academically.

what this has been for the past 30 years and not quite culminated but close, is a combination of communism and Naziism made up of several Hitlers and/or Stalins named Alabama, Ohio State Georgia, Oregon, Michigan, etc...

Schools like State are the unwashed meant to be those others slaves(always beatable).

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Comparing Nike stock to the overall performance of the big three indices in the last two years he needs to concentrate more on running the company.

Reactions: fang

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
We aren’t taking in the 5 Stars anyway so if he’s siphoning them from Bama, UGA, Texas, AM, Tennessee, and LSU. Great! Of course ya’ll better not come for our 3 star grinders as a result. We staked claim on those years ago.
True, but I think MSU's concern would be the trickle down effect. If schools like Oregon start buying whomever they want out of Alabama, Tennessee, and Louisiana, then those schools are going to be filling spots with our 3 and 4 star kids from Mississippi or their own states.

I may not agree with Goat often, but I'm with him on NIL and the portal. Anyone thinking that these things were ever going to be a positive for State was just naive, nuts, or both.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
His net worth is around $32 billion. If he is disappointed with all that, I really and truly feel sorry for him.
Many are. He wouldn't be the first person to have more money than they could spend and still be miserable. People act like money is a cure-all, but it's really not.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Nike doesn’t own a single overseas manufacturing facility. It’s not their decision who works in a factory they contract with for outsourcing activities. Just ask Hobby Lobby. They will agree.
Poor Nike. Powerless to notice what's going on and change it.

Reactions: patdog

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Poor Nike. Powerless to notice what's going on and change it.
I was of course being sarcastic. But I will say this, auditing supplier plants to meet codes of conduct set forth by Nike and the other major brands is pissing in the wind. There isn’t much that they can do other than conduct business elsewhere.

Reactions: Podgy

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
He just needs to pay opposing offensive lines to show up for a shoe giveaway to underprivileged kids at the same time they were supposed to play Oregon. Gotta be the easiest way to ensure wins.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
His net worth is around $32 billion. If he is disappointed with all that, I really and truly feel sorry for him.
Think about the 3 Walton siblings. They're worth about 45 Billion.....each. Hopefully, they aren't into Razorback sports too much, otherwise they could dwarf Phil if they put all their marbles together for the Piggies.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If he's really pulling no punches, it's not just the money. It's that he can immediately put the Nike brand and resources behind any player that comes to Oregon. It goes well beyond "want a million dollars?"

Want your own shoe?
Come to Oregon.

Want a speaking role in a nationally aired commercial?
Come to Oregon.

Want to do a commercial with Michael Jordan or Lebron James?
Come to Oregon.

Want to sit courtside with Cristiano Ronaldo or Travis Kelce?
Come to Oregon.

Want to hang out with Travis Scott?
Come to Oregon.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
How much more corrupt can college sports get?

There ought to be a law (I don't like saying that)
17 a Law! Let it go, man!

Deregulation is going to make college football a better quality television experience and much more profitable.

So what if the rich get richer and we have to shut it all down in a few years. We were never that good anyway.

FREEDOM!!!

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
There is absolutely nothing capitalistic about this. Capitalism was on full display when athletes got to go to school, live, eat and clothe themselves for "FREE" while the general student population either earned scholarship by making outstanding academic achievement, but still had to find funds to pay for meals and clothing and transportation by borrowing money or getting a job while in school. It was the perfect system for high achievers, either athletically or academically.

what this has been for the past 30 years and not quite culminated but close, is a combination of communism and Naziism made up of several Hitlers and/or Stalins named Alabama, Ohio State Georgia, Oregon, Michigan, etc...

Schools like State are the unwashed meant to be those others slaves(always beatable).
You couldn't have said it better. They need their biggest brands to make money. 17 everyone else. I'm about done with myself.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login