This may do it for me. This isn’t fun anymore

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
How has it ruined college sports? There's more parity than ever. We aren't losing bunch of players to the portal other than womens sports. All this money was paid under the table the last century, but now you can see it it pisses you off? Once schools run NIL, it'll get even better.
I guess that I am old fashioned, which is logical since I am getting old. Commitment is a two way street in most anything to me. Doesn’t matter if it’s to a marriage, a business partner, an employer, or now days to college sports. I’m supposed to remain committed by giving them my heart and soul, by showing up and cheering when it’s 97 degrees in September and when it’s raining in November, giving NIL money, giving Bulldog Club money, buying season tickets, buying parking passes, traveling to various game sites, and the list goes on and on. Yet, it seems that the vast majority of the athletes have no commitment to their teams / schools at all. Got an NIL deal? That’s great until 6 months later when it’s shake down time again or I’ll leave. Happens constantly. As we have all seen, some players just hop from team to team with their hand out. Do you remain committed to a marriage when the spouse cheats on you? How about to a business partner that is stealing from you? How about to an employer that takes advantage of you? I didn’t think so, and yet we are supposed to remain committed to a bunch of 18-20 year old kids that couldn’t care less about the school, about the team, about the program, or about the people that support them and make it all possible. Nope, they can all jump up as high as they can and kiss my a$$. I guess I keep hanging around here for the entertainment and slim hopes that someone will come up with a way to fix this mess before it’s all gone. We had a good run, but it’s just about over.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I didn’t think so, and yet we are supposed to remain committed to a bunch of 18-20 year old kids that couldn’t care less about the school, about the team, about the program, or about the people that support them and make it all possible.

Many of whom wouldn't sniff a college campus if they couldn't run fast, jump high, throw well, etc. But, that ship sailed a long, long time ago.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We had a good run, but it’s just about over.
I'm not sure if you mean over for State or CFB, but it's not over for either. CFB is getting more popular, the 2023 season was one of the best I can remember (not for us, but overall). 2024, with the playoff, will be ever better.

For us, we hit some bad, bad luck. A popular and successful coach, coming off a 8 win season dies unexpectedly. Keenum panics and makes a horrible decision by promoting a young and inexperienced assistant and it exploded on us. Had Mike not died, we'd be coming off back-to-back 9 win seasons and have one of the longest bowl streaks in the country. Long term, we don't know how Mike would have adapted to the NIL/collective/portal era, but he was likely the most intelligent coach in CFB, so he very well may have adapted.

In the modern era of CFB, starting in 1980, we're a 7-5 program, hopefully Lebby can get us back there and continue to improve. I think he will.

Reactions: QuadrupleOption
Aug 22, 2012
Schools like us are going to have to flip how we are going about this. Instead of using the “tv money” to dump in the athletic dept fund or wherever it goes…..it needs to be our NIL money…..coaches pay included. Then building things needs to be where the bulldog club money goes. At some point the athletic facilities are going to have to be what they are. This obsession with premium things in the football stadium baffles me. Here guys……pay thousands a year to come eat some processed chicken nuggets and all you can eat popcorn and nachos. Whooooeee. Which I’m smart enough to know it’s not about the nuggets…it’s about saying you are sitting there. But I really don’t know how much more premium you can get in a dang football stadium.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
There are 32 5 star football players every year.
of the 32 in 2023, only 2 became starters. 4 never played. 8 played less than 100 snaps.
From year to year.
There are between 75-90 4 star players.
There are 134 FBS programs. Nearly all 4 & 5 star players go to the Top 30 teams based on Recruit Rankings. There are school Presidents who can fix this if they want to.
I'm an admitted idiot when it comes to recruiting rankings, but could someone explain why there are only 32 5 star players each year? I guess I always assumed there was some grading criteria and if you scored, say, 90-100 then you're a 5 *, 80-89 would be 4 *, and on down the line.

I don't get how if you're the 33rd best high school player one year you're automatically a 4 star, but if you were a year older or younger you might be 20th best in your class and be a 5 star.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I totally agree college football isn't fair and I've said for years that college football is the least competitive major sport out there. And the primary thing that would make it more competitive, a reduction of scholarships, won't even be considered. 85 scholarships is way more scholarships than is needed to field a football team. 85 is the same number teams had back when freshmen couldn't play or rarely ever played.

I'm not sure if you mean over for State or CFB, but it's not over for either. CFB is getting more popular, the 2023 season was one of the best I can remember (not for us, but overall). 2024, with the playoff, will be ever better.

For us, we hit some bad, bad luck. A popular and successful coach, coming off a 8 win season dies unexpectedly. Keenum panics and makes a horrible decision by promoting a young and inexperienced assistant and it exploded on us. Had Mike not died, we'd be coming off back-to-back 9 win seasons and have one of the longest bowl streaks in the country. Long term, we don't know how Mike would have adapted to the NIL/collective/portal era, but he was likely the most intelligent coach in CFB, so he very well may have adapted.

In the modern era of CFB, starting in 1980, we're a 7-5 program, hopefully Lebby can get us back there and continue to improve. I think he will.
Wake me up when we find another Leach. They are out there, but our mouth-breathers would rather run the exact same offense as everybody else in the known world.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
He's showered Oregon with cash before and they've had teams that came close to an NC. It will be a challenge. Is it easy to recruit top black athletes to a state that's maybe 3% black when there are other options?

And I read where some people are criticizing him for not giving more to the poor. But he does give money to young, poor non-whites who work in his factories in Asia.

This is what makes it a bit ridiculous to me. At least Alabama and Georgia are in states that are football crazy at the youth level and loaded with the best talent. It makes sense that they compete for titles when they are managing things well.

There's a reason Phil went to Oregon to run track. Stay in your 17ing lane.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
How much more corrupt can college sports get?

There ought to be a law (I don't like saying that)
There is a law. IF one student has the opportunity to make money while in school, so should athletes.

Nothing more American than that. Also, nothing has ruined college sports more than that as well.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Buy a championship, the way it has always been at Bama, at Georgia recently, at LSU with Coach O, and at Ohio State. Add Oregon to the list. Buy it, get every 5 star and offer them $3M each.
I mean, if we offered 10 5 star kids 3 million per year for 4 years, would that work?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Schools like us are going to have to flip how we are going about this. Instead of using the “tv money” to dump in the athletic dept fund or wherever it goes…..it needs to be our NIL money…..coaches pay included. Then building things needs to be where the bulldog club money goes. At some point the athletic facilities are going to have to be what they are. This obsession with premium things in the football stadium baffles me. Here guys……pay thousands a year to come eat some processed chicken nuggets and all you can eat popcorn and nachos. Whooooeee. Which I’m smart enough to know it’s not about the nuggets…it’s about saying you are sitting there. But I really don’t know how much more premium you can get in a dang football stadium.
We can't use tv money for NIL yet. But it will be better when we can. Takes the pressure off the massive number of State fans offended by what the rest of college football is doing. Worst damn fans in America!

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I guess that I am old fashioned, which is logical since I am getting old. Commitment is a two way street in most anything to me. Doesn’t matter if it’s to a marriage, a business partner, an employer, or now days to college sports. I’m supposed to remain committed by giving them my heart and soul, by showing up and cheering when it’s 97 degrees in September and when it’s raining in November, giving NIL money, giving Bulldog Club money, buying season tickets, buying parking passes, traveling to various game sites, and the list goes on and on. Yet, it seems that the vast majority of the athletes have no commitment to their teams / schools at all. Got an NIL deal? That’s great until 6 months later when it’s shake down time again or I’ll leave. Happens constantly. As we have all seen, some players just hop from team to team with their hand out. Do you remain committed to a marriage when the spouse cheats on you? How about to a business partner that is stealing from you? How about to an employer that takes advantage of you? I didn’t think so, and yet we are supposed to remain committed to a bunch of 18-20 year old kids that couldn’t care less about the school, about the team, about the program, or about the people that support them and make it all possible. Nope, they can all jump up as high as they can and kiss my a$$. I guess I keep hanging around here for the entertainment and slim hopes that someone will come up with a way to fix this mess before it’s all gone. We had a good run, but it’s just about over.
Simon Cowell Wow GIF by America's Got Talent

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login