This may do it for me. This isn’t fun anymore

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I would love to see an economic analysis of the current system in NCAA football. Obviously, alumni aren’t in it for revenue maximization, and it gets weird when you have billionaire outliers contributing, but it’d be fascinating to look at from a game theory perspective

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
True, but I think MSU's concern would be the trickle down effect. If schools like Oregon start buying whomever they want out of Alabama, Tennessee, and Louisiana, then those schools are going to be filling spots with our 3 and 4 star kids from Mississippi or their own states.

I may not agree with Goat often, but I'm with him on NIL and the portal. Anyone thinking that these things were ever going to be a positive for State was just naive, nuts, or both.
They can’t. Like I said we called dibs years ago.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
If there are people willing to do it, I don't see a problem.

The overall most disappointing thing about NIL, if I have to be honest, is that is puts MSU at a bigger disadvantage than ever before, at least on the corporate side. That's what we're all upset about the most. And of course the fact that we've now lost the 'connection' to players with the portal added to it. Folks have been buying players since the late 70s.
The problem is trying to maintain some level of fair competition. Its the reason that professional leagues have salary caps and player contracts and the worst teams get the first draft picks. Otherwise every pro player would be a free agent every year looking to get whatever any team will throw at him. Sports is entertainment. Its not a business making money off widgets. If sports aren't competitive then they lose most of their entertainment value.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The problem is trying to maintain some level of fair competition. Its the reason that professional leagues have salary caps and player contracts and the worst teams get the first draft picks. Otherwise every pro player would be a free agent every year looking to get whatever any team will throw at him. Sports is entertainment. Its not a business making money off widgets. If sports aren't competitive then they lose most of their entertainment value.
I agree, but college has never been fair. It's always been about who has the most dedicated fanbase, therefore money, and ability to attract talent. The equation changes for everyone. More fans equals more money equals better coaches equals better players equals wins. Add or subtract wherever you want but that's what it is. That's why the biggest fanbases in the most talent rich areas generally have won more, at least modern day. Back in the old days it was much more about school too so teams that weren't in talent rich areas could exploit things to win, like Prop 48 or whatever it was. TV contracts played into it as well.

Literally nothing works in the favor of MSU. The only reason we've remained viable is because we made the outstanding investment of being a founding member of the SEC.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
What the hell was wrong with athletic scholarship that give an 18 year old a free education, room and board. That is worth thousands upon thousands of dollars and a free pathway to adulthood that will sustain you for life.
Because you still end up with certain schools having their offensive linemen "employed" by the car dealership.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I was of course being sarcastic. But I will say this, auditing supplier plants to meet codes of conduct set forth by Nike and the other major brands is pissing in the wind. There isn’t much that they can do other than conduct business elsewhere.
Total swing and miss on my part.

Reactions: DerHntr

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
One of y'all young whippersnappers need to become an entrepreneur and invest in the Bulldog NIL.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Honestly, that’s not it with me. I know it’s naive and stupid, but I thoroughly enjoyed the idea of someone playing for the school and watching a team grow.
The days of that mirage are never returning. The players are now simply employees of the NIL collectives and are playing on 6 month, loosely written and agreed upon contracts.

I could not care less whether they go to class or don’t and please spare me the SEC honor roll BS and patches on the jerseys signifying their major.

I’m now like the drunk guy in Road House throwing a bottle at Jeff Healey.. You’re paid to play, so play.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The days of that mirage are never returning. The players are now simply employees of the NIL collectives and are playing on 6 month, loosely written and agreed upon contracts.

I could not care less whether they go to class or don’t and please spare me the SEC honor roll BS and patches on the jerseys signifying their major.

I’m now like the drunk guy in Road House throwing a bottle at Jeff Healey.. You’re paid to play, so play.
"What's his story? You 17 with Xenomorph, he'll seal your fate"

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
We are about done. We bought season tickets again this year. I have been attending our games at the average of about 5 a year since 1961 so I guess this makes 61 straight years and a total of more than 300 football games. Plus a some basketball games and a ton of baseball games. However, I have had it with this whole recent 3 ring circus. This will be our last year to attend any games in any sport. We still have our health and would love to attend games but we are drawing a line in the sand. This whole NIL and portal thing has ruined College sports. I have always been extremely passionate about my Bulldogs and when it’s reached a point where it has literally run us off, they have real problems. I know many others that have those same feelings.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
i got 5 on it
No Money Eminem GIF by Complex

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
We are about done. We bought season tickets again this year. I have been attending our games at the average of about 5 a year since 1961 so I guess this makes 61 straight years and a total of more than 300 football games. Plus a some basketball games and a ton of baseball games. However, I have had it with this whole recent 3 ring circus. This will be our last year to attend any games in any sport. We still have our health and would love to attend games but we are drawing a line in the sand. This whole NIL and portal thing has ruined College sports. I have always been extremely passionate about my Bulldogs and when it’s reached a point where it has literally run us off, they have real problems. I know many others that have those same feelings.
First kudos for your support. The problem I see is when a man buys tickets he's made a tangible purchase and has at least something to show for his money. When a man throws a few hundred bucks in to NIL to compete with endless funds in other places what has he accomplished ?

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Welp, with that news, better up your donations from $10/month to $15/month.**

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

never heard of this website so hopefully it’s BS, but I doubt it
Some of you folks act like this just started. Albert Means (and his handlers) got paid $200k+ in 1999. Ten years later Scam got at least that much. This has been going on forever, NIL/collectives just gives everyone a shot at it.

Reactions: The Fatboy

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I agree, but college has never been fair. It's always been about who has the most dedicated fanbase, therefore money, and ability to attract talent. The equation changes for everyone. More fans equals more money equals better coaches equals better players equals wins. Add or subtract wherever you want but that's what it is. That's why the biggest fanbases in the most talent rich areas generally have won more, at least modern day. Back in the old days it was much more about school too so teams that weren't in talent rich areas could exploit things to win, like Prop 48 or whatever it was. TV contracts played into it as well.

Literally nothing works in the favor of MSU. The only reason we've remained viable is because we made the outstanding investment of being a founding member of the SEC.
I totally agree college football isn't fair and I've said for years that college football is the least competitive major sport out there. And the primary thing that would make it more competitive, a reduction of scholarships, won't even be considered. 85 scholarships is way more scholarships than is needed to field a football team. 85 is the same number teams had back when freshmen couldn't play or rarely ever played. Force 10 to 15 players off Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, etc's roster and make them go somewhere else and things in the P4 would get more competitively very quickly.

Oct 7, 2022
I totally agree college football isn't fair and I've said for years that college football is the least competitive major sport out there. And the primary thing that would make it more competitive, a reduction of scholarships, won't even be considered. 85 scholarships is way more scholarships than is needed to field a football team. 85 is the same number teams had back when freshmen couldn't play or rarely ever played. Force 10 to 15 players off Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, etc's roster and make them go somewhere else and things in the P4 would get more competitively very quickly.
If the NFL can make 53 work for 16 games, colleges sure as hell make 65 work for 15 or however many it takes.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
An NFL roster is what, 55? Over time CFB needs to be whittled down to 75 or 70. To keep teams from skirting the rules with walk-ons, any player who players over 4 plays per game would count toward a roster spot.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
65 is sufficient but the schools that want that to happen don't have the stroke the big schools have.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It may sound naïve, but you have to sell athletes on something other than just money to make them want to be a part of your athletic program. You won't reach all of them because some are just after money. It's a crapshoot, but you must start working with something about your school.

Reactions: The Fatboy

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
It'll get reined in eventually. Just because you have to pay something for name and likeness doesn't mean it has to be the wild west out there. Tying payment to on field performance and putting a delay on transfers (transfer and don't play, make less than if you stayed and played), and it will clean all this up.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
How has it ruined college sports? There's more parity than ever. We aren't losing bunch of players to the portal other than womens sports. All this money was paid under the table the last century, but now you can see it it pisses you off? Once schools run NIL, it'll get even better.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
The problem is trying to maintain some level of fair competition. It's the reason that professional leagues have salary caps and player contracts and the worst teams get the first draft picks. Otherwise every pro player would be a free agent every year looking to get whatever any team will throw at him. Sports is entertainment. It's not a business making money off widgets. If sports aren't competitive then they lose most of their entertainment
The reduced Roster would fix a lot of things. But the University Presidents are going to have to come together to get a block vote to fix it.
If the 115 or so Presidents who never sniff a football championship would present that block, would not matter what the 15-20 top programs want. The fight would be between the Conference Commissioners of the SEC, Big 10, ACC and Big 12 and their own member presidents. So you would have 10-11 SEC presidents voting against 5-6 of their brethren to level the playing field by attrition, paring down the Roster of a 3 year period:

2026- 80 schollies for football, 15 for basketball and 16 for baseball.
2027- 75 for football, 15 for men's basketball, 18 for baseball, 4 added to Women's athletics.
2028- 70 for football, 15 for men's basketball, 20 for baseball, 7 added to women's athletics.

I would not go below 70 for college football though because of the injury issues.

32 defensive players
32 offensive players
2 punters
2 place kickers
2 deep snappers

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
There are 32 5 star football players every year.
of the 32 in 2023, only 2 became starters. 4 never played. 8 played less than 100 snaps.
From year to year.
There are between 75-90 4 star players.
There are 134 FBS programs. Nearly all 4 & 5 star players go to the Top 30 teams based on Recruit Rankings. There are school Presidents who can fix this if they want to.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Then it will just go back to duffel bags showing up in back seats of cars or on front porches. Pandora has been let out and that ***** ain't going back in that box.
Sorry Hugh, I posted the same thing before reading your comment, but it is absolutely true

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I'm genuinely curious how university presidents have the power to fix this. Not being a smartass. Fix it how??
I don’t think Univ presidents can or will fix anything. the board of reagents will just look for ways to get the most revenue and the television networks dictate everything because they pay out the revenue. ESPN and the various networks have essentially replaced the ncaa governing body.

as GOAT mentioned, it’s a made for television product now.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I'm genuinely curious how university presidents have the power to fix this. Not being a smartass. Fix it how??
There are fans who can fix it all. But I’m one of the problem children that can’t quit college football so I will always be a scab when the great college football fan strike happens

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Sorry if I'm off track cuz I just skipped all the posts.
But could someone splain to me why we can't have salary caps and contracts that don't allow nearly as much switching teams every year?Salary caps have improved professional sports big time. Being richer than everybody else no longer translates into automatic wins / ships. The portal is damaging the game. Not fair to the school, program, coaches or fans. If these college players like the big boy money there gonna need to learn loyalty, honesty and responsibility.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
But could someone splain to me why we can't have salary caps and contracts that don't allow nearly as much switching teams every year?Salary caps have improved professional sports big time. Being richer than everybody else no longer translates into automatic wins / ships. The portal is damaging the game. Not fair to the school, program, coaches or fans. If these college players like the big boy money there gonna need to learn loyalty, honesty and responsibility.
You lost me at coaches, school, and fans. Like the fans who continually **** on players like Rogers and Tolu? Or maybe the AD’s like Trev Alberts who leave their alma mater. Maybe you mean the loyal coaches like Jimmy Schloss that berate a reporter over the audacity to suggest that he may be leaving his school for their hated rival.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The portal is creating parity

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login