Thoughts on Week 1 Depth Chart?

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Did Walley just never develop or not a good fit in this system? Thought he had a lot of promise when he first showed up.
I think injuries derailed Walley. I also wonder if that four game stretch in 2020 where he was over 100 yards in every one of them set some unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: onewoof

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Two questions
1. Did Walley just never develop or not a good fit in this system? Thought he had a lot of promise when he first showed up.
2. Where are Bismo Funyuns, Mergatroid Skittles, Catholic Mango, Nyquillus Dillwad, Quizzmntodd Bidnes, D'pez Poopsie thought they were locks to make the roster?****
1. Think he got injured in year two and never really was the same.
2. Had to clear space to make room for Fuuuuuuudge.

Reactions: Bullldawg78

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
What jumps out at me is the size and experience of the OL starters. I know we want to throw downfield a lot, but the OL starters scream "run the damn ball!!" This OL may be bigger in wgt. & hgt. than any of King Jackie's big OLs of his era. Give the ball to Lee and let that big OL bulldoze a path to the end zone.....and this may be all we see vs EKU.

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

patdog

May 28, 2007
What jumps out at me is the size and experience of the OL starters. I know we want to throw downfield a lot, but the OL starters scream "run the damn ball!!" This OL may be bigger in wgt. & hgt. than any of King Jackie's big OLs of his era. Give the ball to Lee and let that big OL bulldoze a path to the end zone.....and this may be all we see vs EKU.
Goat might have a stroke.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
They are guys that CHOSE to come play for YOUR University. Don't disrepect them with this kind of nonsense.
So much to unpack here but I’ll keep it to 2 points..

First.. the gif he posted is a very famous line from the movie Major League. In the 30+ years since its release this scene has come to symbolize fans who are ignorant of new players on their team and vastly underestimate their potential.

Second… it ain’t 1963 anymore. These dudes aren’t here for the education. They are pros.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The biggest surprise for me is Nic Mitchell being listed as OR next to John Lewis. Lewis is supposed to be one of our studs on D. So either he’s been underperforming or Mitchell is a huge surprise.
Have you seen Lewis’ career stats? “Stud” isn’t quite the word many would us to describe that body of work.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
- Hope Akharaiyi is back soon
- Defense may be deeper than we thought
- Love the freshmen WR's are getting a shot
- Hope NCAA 25' updates out rosters
- Leon Bell sighting
Yeah akharaiyi is the one missing that stuck out.
I feel like I don't know hardly anyone. The oline first 5 is better then I thought but not A across the line.
receiver is kind of a surprise to me.
defense holy hell this year will be tough unless some guys step up big time. We knew this was coming though.

Prepare Get Ready GIF by STARZ

Reactions: onewoof

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Goat might have a stroke.
I know you're joking, but I do need to clarify RuN dA bAwL, before this gets out of hand. It likely won't help, because most of our coach34-esque mouth-breathers (not you pat) can only think in the binary, but I'll give it a shot.

I love to run the ball. Many of MSU's better teams featured running the ball. But it only takes you so far. I have to ask myself two questions.....are we trying to max out at 8-4, or do we want to go higher? Plus, is our historical success really something to be proud of and try to replicate? I'd say no to both, on a year in year out basis.

I go back to Mullen's tenure and even 2018. We were a devastating, punishing running team. But we hit brick walls against the elite defenses. The only time we broke through was when we had Dak's passing. Then of course Leach did it the opposite, used the pass to open up the run (which was successful considering our talent, regardless of what the mouth breathers say). But RuN dA bAwL was born out of the idiocy of hearing our fans clamor to go back to the old days, when the old days simply were not that great. It's just a dumb, backwoods bubba kind of way to look at football nowadays. And now we have NIL/portal that will restrict our ability to recruit and develop like we did in the Mullen Era, so that forces our hand even further to analyze what we're doing, and the need to go with a different approach.

Heck I'd also be alright with a niche running offense, like Malzahn or Fritz. I won't judge Lebby just yet, but he seems to be just another mainstream offense. We'll see if it works.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

Studentdawg06

Oct 1, 2023
I know you're joking, but I do need to clarify RuN dA bAwL, before this gets out of hand. It likely won't help, because most of our coach34-esque mouth-breathers (not you pat) can only think in the binary, but I'll give it a shot.

I love to run the ball. Many of MSU's better teams featured running the ball. But it only takes you so far. I have to ask myself two questions.....are we trying to max out at 8-4, or do we want to go higher? Plus, is our historical success really something to be proud of and try to replicate? I'd say no to both, on a year in year out basis.

I go back to Mullen's tenure and even 2018. We were a devastating, punishing running team. But we hit brick walls against the elite defenses. The only time we broke through was when we had Dak's passing. Then of course Leach did it the opposite, used the pass to open up the run (which was successful considering our talent, regardless of what the mouth breathers say). But RuN dA bAwL was born out of the idiocy of hearing our fans clamor to go back to the old days, when the old days simply were not that great. It's just a dumb, backwoods bubba kind of way to look at football nowadays. And now we have NIL/portal that will restrict our ability to recruit and develop like we did in the Mullen Era, so that forces our hand even further to analyze what we're doing, and the need to go with a different approach.

Heck I'd also be alright with a niche running offense, like Malzahn or Fritz. I won't judge Lebby just yet, but he seems to be just another mainstream offense. We'll see if it works.
You should study the Veer and Shoot more, because you’re clueless about it.

Reactions: retire the banner

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It's hard to believe people who are big enough fans of Mississippi State to be on a sports discussion site yet don't know who any of the players on the team are. C'mon people.
Get accustomed to it because its a revolving door now and fans aren't going to endear themselves to individuals any more like they have in the past. Put up good stats, the bidding begins from other schools for your services. Don't put up stats or play, move on to somewhere you may be able to. Either way, the team will change dramatically EVERY YEAR to where you will have to study their names to learn them every year. Most casual fans aren't going to have time for that......

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Get accustomed to it because its a revolving door now and fans aren't going to endear themselves to individuals any more like they have in the past. Put up good stats, the bidding begins from other schools for your services. Don't put up stats or play, move on to somewhere you may be able to. Either way, the team will change dramatically EVERY YEAR to where you will have to study their names to learn them every year. Most casual fans aren't going to have time for that......
That's the biggest issue that NIL/portal has killed - that's the anticipation and offseason stuff. Most all of us will watch the games and get into
Saturdays. But I'm certainly never going to pay attention to recruiting again.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022

Not going to agree with the entire post, but imo this is nail meeting head in terms of the ability to have success as a run the ball team. In our conference and in the modern day's of college football, running the ball down hill really does cap out for us at about 8 wins. That was what made me so mad about the criticism of Leach. At least we were trying something that was not running the ball to cap out at 8 wins. Did it work? Honestly, we will never know to a full degree given our coach died, and we dismantled the air raid while he was not even cold in the ground yet. I want state to win. If that means embracing a new system or a new gimmick that might break that 8-win ceiling for us then I am all for it. I think Lebby is just another mainstream offense as well. Hopefully, the running plays as fast as we can and the jet sweep action is a killer for us.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Right, and aren’t we genuinely replacing something like 20 of 22 starters from ‘23?

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not going to agree with the entire post, but imo this is nail meeting head in terms of the ability to have success as a run the ball team. In our conference and in the modern day's of college football, running the ball down hill really does cap out for us at about 8 wins. That was what made me so mad about the criticism of Leach. At least we were trying something that was not running the ball to cap out at 8 wins. Did it work? Honestly, we will never know to a full degree given our coach died, and we dismantled the air raid while he was not even cold in the ground yet. I want state to win. If that means embracing a new system or a new gimmick that might break that 8-win ceiling for us then I am all for it. I think Lebby is just another mainstream offense as well. Hopefully, the running plays as fast as we can and the jet sweep action is a killer for us.
Bottom line is, you have to be able to do both. You can be successful running the ball 70% of the time or throwing it 70% of the time. But you have to be good enough at both to keep the defense honest, and you have to be able to do both when the down/distance/time/score situation calls for it.

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I think injuries derailed Walley. I also wonder if that four game stretch in 2020 where he was over 100 yards in every one of them set some unrealistic expectations.
I would have thought Walley would have been a Ya Boy for the CFB is ruined crowd. Could have taken his ball elsewhere when he wasn’t getting playing time here but has stuck it out. Has been nothing but positive on social media as far as I can tell. Has not gotten in trouble and seems to genuinely love State.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Bottom line is, you have to be able to do both. You can be successful running the ball 70% of the time or throwing it 70% of the time. But you have to be good enough at both to keep the defense honest, and you have to be able to do both when the down/distance/time/score situation calls for it.
Not a good idea to be one dimensional is how I would sum this up. There is no doubt that you have to be able to throw when the box numbers dictate it, and that you have to be able to run the ball when the box number dictates it as well. Of course all the factors you mentioned play into offensive play calling and decision making from time left on the clock to current field position. All I am trying to point out is that ground and pound never really worked for us, and pretty much set a hard ceiling for us at 8 wins even in our best years.

Reactions: 85Bears and patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It’s pretty clear by this statement you don’t follow our football team that closely.
IMG_6906.jpeg

Sure dude….

He’s a senior linebacker with 24 total tackles….in 3 years. Started 3 games in 3 years. 9 solo tackles, TOTAL, in 3 years. For a damn linebacker. Zero sacks, Zero INT’s, Zero forced fumbles or fumble recoveries…..in 3 years.

I’m not hating on the guy, I’m sure he’s a decent enough guy and probably works hard. But damn….the dude ain’t Dick Butkus. And he’s not suddenly going to jump to that level in Year 4. Guys are what they are at that point. You tell me what I’m missing about this “stud”.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike tice

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
View attachment 635926

Sure dude….

He’s a senior linebacker with 24 total tackles….in 3 years. Started 3 games in 3 years. 9 solo tackles, TOTAL, in 3 years. For a damn linebacker. Zero sacks, Zero INT’s, Zero forced fumbles or fumble recoveries…..in 3 years.

I’m not hating on the guy, I’m sure he’s a decent enough guy and probably works hard. But damn….the dude ain’t Dick Butkus. And he’s not suddenly going to jump to that level in Year 4. Guys are what they are at that point. You tell me what I’m missing about this “stud”.
He’s a rs junior this year, selected as a captain coming into this season. One of three players selected to media days. He’s a former #2 player in MS. Stuck behind Jett and Bookie for his career.

He’s supposed to be one of the best players on our defense this year. This isn’t just my opinion. Will he be? I guess we’ll find out. But the weirdest part is how much this has triggered you.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
This is the easiest bunch of names to pronounce on any team I’ve seen in a while. Sounds like a Sunday school class. We are going to be slow and bad except for Sulaiman Kpapka.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Random thoughts:

1) Our tallest receiver's name is Trent. I'm worried.
2) What's a "JACK"?
3) I recognized more names than anticipated.
4) What's a "STAR"?
5) I'm old
1. Hopefully more Trent Richardson than Trent Lott
2. A pelagic fish that puts up a hell of a fight.
3. GTFO with that nonsense. You are supposed to hate all of these no name bums
4. A star is a massive, luminous ball of gas in space that produces its own light and energy through nuclear fusion.
5. I bet 10 Fireball shots Saturday morning will contradict that.

mike tice

Sep 30, 2022
They are guys that CHOSE to come play for YOUR University. Don't disrepect them with this kind of nonsense.
But I mean …. Who are they? I’ve never seen a depth chart that I’m so unfamiliar with. Glad they chose State but yeah.Who the17 is that ran through my head like 20 times

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login