Thoughts on Week 1 Depth Chart?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
1. Hopefully more Trent Richardson than Trent Lott
2. A pelagic fish that puts up a hell of a fight.
3. GTFO with that nonsense. You are supposed to hate all of these no name bums
4. A star is a massive, luminous ball of gas in space that produces its own light and energy through nuclear fusion.
5. I bet 10 Fireball shots Saturday morning will contradict that.
Admittedly, I came looking for a new Bear...RIP...

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He’s a rs junior this year, selected as a captain coming into this season.
Because he’s one of just a few guys left from 2023. Whether he’s a senior or RS junior is irrelevant….he saw the field all 3 seasons, but couldn’t earn PT over multiple other guys.

One of three players selected to media days.

See above. This means nothing. One of the other 3 players selected for media days wasn’t even on the team last season.

He’s a former #2 player in MS.

This means less than nothing. He’d be far from the only MS recruiting bust in the past few years.

Stuck behind Jett and Bookie for his career.
And Purvis, and Page, and now Nic Mitchell. Also Tillman is more or less equal or ahead of where he is, evidently.

He’s supposed to be one of the best players on our defense this year. This isn’t just my opinion.

That’s not a very high bar, unfortunately. Certainly doesn’t make him a stud. If he really is one of the best, we’re probably in big trouble on that side. Not a knock on him personally, it’s just reality.

It’s not like he’s a transfer in that has elite talent but got buried on the depth chart at a Bama or UGA. No, he was buried on the depth chart at Mississippi State, and in a year where we had a pretty bad defense.

Will he be? I guess we’ll find out. But the weirdest part is how much this has triggered you.

Not triggered at all. I’ve just seen this movie a lot more times than you have. You’re setting yourself up for huge disappointment if you think anyone is ever finally figuring things out, in the SEC, for the first time, in Year 4 of their development. It just doesn’t ever happen at any position except maybe QB, but even that is basically nonexistent with the portal now.

Reactions: patdog

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Because he’s one of just a few guys left from 2023. Whether he’s a senior or RS junior is irrelevant….he saw the field all 3 seasons, but couldn’t earn PT over multiple other guys.

See above. This means nothing. One of the other 3 players selected for media days wasn’t even on the team last season.

This means less than nothing. He’d be far from the only MS recruiting bust in the past few years.

And Purvis, and Page, and now Nic Mitchell. Also Tillman is more or less equal or ahead of where he is, evidently.

That’s not a very high bar, unfortunately. Certainly doesn’t make him a stud. If he really is one of the best, we’re probably in big trouble on that side. Not a knock on him personally, it’s just reality.

It’s not like he’s a transfer in that has elite talent but got buried on the depth chart at a Bama or UGA. No, he was buried on the depth chart at Mississippi State, and in a year where we had a pretty bad defense.

Not triggered at all. I’ve just seen this movie a lot more times than you have. You’re setting yourself up for huge disappointment if you think anyone is ever finally figuring things out, in the SEC, for the first time, in Year 4 of their development. It just doesn’t ever happen at any position except maybe QB, but even that is basically nonexistent with the portal now.
I just went back and looked at my original post to make sure I wasn’t missing something or I misspoke. Here it is:

The biggest surprise for me is Nic Mitchell being listed as OR next to John Lewis. Lewis is supposed to be one of our studs on D. So either he’s been underperforming or Mitchell is a huge surprise.

I am surprised Nic Mitchell is listed as OR next to John Lewis since by media members and others within the program (hence the phrase “supposed to be”) Lewis has been predicted to be one of our, “stars, best players, corner piece,” or any other synonym you’d like to insert here. He’s had hype surrounding his name the last year or so. This will be the first season he’s thrust into the spotlight. Do I care if he’s good or not? No, but it would nice if he was for the sake of MSU football.

All this being said, are you okay? Just very odd to be this upset about me saying “man, player X is predicted to be a good player on D, so either player X is underperforming or player Y is better than expected.” It could be the former or the latter, either one is no consequence to me. The OP asked for thoughts on the depth chart and I provided a thought that seemed surprising to me.

Here’s one example of State media hyping up John Lewis as leader of defense:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I was watching Shapen's highlight film, and he never slides. He lowers his head and get extra yards.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
All this being said, are you okay? Just very odd to be this upset about me saying “man, player X is predicted to be a good player on D, so either player X is underperforming or player Y is better than expected.”

I am not upset at all about it. You’re entitled to your opinion. I’m only pointing out that an MSU football player going from being a complete non-factor for 3 years to “stud” in his 4th year is something that has pretty much never happened. Like it or not, this is a true statement. There’s no emotion behind it. You’re the one over here with smartasś replies about me not following things. So, are you OK?

It could be the former or the latter, either one is no consequence to me. The OP asked for thoughts on the depth chart and I provided a thought that seemed surprising to me.

That’s totally cool. I also provided a thought about something that was surprising to me….that anyone (whether it be you or MSU media or anyone else) would expect a Year 4 breakout from a player who hasn’t been relevant for 3 seasons.

Reactions: 85Bears and patdog

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
This team is gonna surprise everyone.

If they are competitive with any of the 6 Top 20 caliber teams on our schedule, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

If the three teams that should be very easy wins are competitive with us, starting this weekend, I'll be unpleasantly surprised.

If those games are not surprising, then Florida, Arkansas and Arizona State should be quite entertaining. We'll know before we have played a Top 20 team if we have a chance at a decent season.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If they are competitive with any of the 6 Top 20 caliber teams on our schedule, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

If the three teams that should be very easy wins are competitive with us, starting this weekend, I'll be unpleasantly surprised.

If those games are not surprising, then Florida, Arkansas and Arizona State should be quite entertaining. We'll know before we have played a Top 20 team if we have a chance at a decent season.

I would have to agree because I think we have a lot of work to do with this team. We have restarted from scratch. It doesn't always mean it will be bad, but usually, it does. We have a new coach and almost all new players. This is one thing that I think people should get used to. We will probably have different players in every team, with the NIL and the portal in every season. Think about the NFL with unrestricted free agency; you might get the picture I see. I see a rotation of players on every team. I hope I'm wrong, but you better batten the hatches and prepare for the next couple of years.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023
I was watching Shapen's highlight film, and he never slides. He lowers his head and get extra yards.
Maybe that's why he's had injury issues. Sometimes he should just slide. The different in a 21 and 24 yard run on 3rd and 5 doesn't mean anything. I like that he's tough, but sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Maybe that's why he's had injury issues. Sometimes he should just slide. The different in a 21 and 24 yard run on 3rd and 5 doesn't mean anything. I like that he's tough, but sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.
We just spent 4 years watching a human statue play quarterback. Any type of aggressive running ability is welcome.

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

patdog

May 28, 2007
We just spent 4 years watching a human statue play quarterback. Any type of aggressive running ability is welcome.
There's aggressive and there's just plain stupid. If your QB (with no proven backup) is taking unnecessary hits, that's stupid. I hope Shapen slides or runs out of bounds every time.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Some of us olds have maxed out the space to remember stuff. just sayin
I don’t know if it’s I don’t have the space to remember stuff anymore or if it’s just a priority shift but I can’t keep up. I’d be surprised if I could name 8 starters total.

(And I’m not even old)

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I don’t know if it’s I don’t have the space to remember stuff anymore or if it’s just a priority shift but I can’t keep up. I’d be surprised if I could name 8 starters total.

(And I’m not even old)
Not sure but I have CRS Can't Remember S H ! T

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login