Thru 3 innings against Memphis we have ZERO hits.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Not only can we not hit at times but our pitching is pretty awful all of the time.
We lose these type games we’ll be sitting our asses at home come June

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
Why is this surprising? We are not a good team this year. It is what it is. A sign of a mediocre baseball team is inconsistency. We aren’t terrible. We aren’t good. Average.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Make it 4 innings and give Memphis 3 runs.
We may still win and hope we can but
NIT basketball is better than this right now.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Drop this one, and we will probably need 14-16 in SEC play for any postseason.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Not only can we not hit at times but our pitching is pretty awful all of the time.

Good thing we play more than 3 innings

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
??? The 6 spot is good. I’m hoping for an easier path to the postseason, it’s back to 13-17 needed if we hold on.

Last edited:

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
We are ahead in the 7th, but where is the offense at the start of a game….this team is so frustrating. You can’t do that and win in the SEC.

Slow Natives

Nov 10, 2018
Little Rock is beating #2 Arkansas. Abeline Christian is beating #12 TCU. J’ville St is beating Auburn. E Ky is beating Ky.

That’s baseball.

MSUDawg25

Jan 21, 2010
For anyone not watching on TV, I just wanted share that I’ve heard “Coach Chris Lemoyne” and “Brad Cumbert” so far. Still laughing about Cumbert.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
We have THREE hits - yes we have 7 runs and baseball is NINE innings but some of you have to take off your maroon colored glasses at some point.
We are very average this year. Average doesn’t get you to hosting or even playing in June.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'm simply going to encourage many of you here to let baseball games play out past halfway before going on ***** fests.

Talking to myself a bit as well.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
We have THREE hits - yes we have 7 runs and baseball is NINE innings but some of you have to take off your maroon colored glasses at some point.
We are very average this year. Average doesn’t get you to hosting or even playing in June.

I’ve not seen anyone claim this team is anything special. I think at this point everyone understands the reality of this team. You made a stupid post very early in the game and that post didn’t age well.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010

There was some information after the game that was not apparent to most of us. The umpire was expanding the strike zone for the Memphis pitcher and not State's. Lemonis had words about it with the Ump earlier and that's why he got tossed so quickly.

Sure, they threw a weekend starter out there with good stuff but you give a guy like that an advantage with strike zone then it's going to be a long night for the hitters. Where it got uneven is that he was squeezing it on State's pitcher. I don't know if it was intentional or not but it happens sometimes because of varying deliveries and the way a Ump perceives a specific pitcher. That seemed to change when they pulled their starter.

This is why I am for an electronic strike zone. It's either a strike or it's not. Tennis has had it for decades, why can't we finally get it for baseball? Surely we could develop a system that can do it by now.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
When you listen to Jim you hear "Brad CUMBESS coming to bat in the SIXT inning" so guess we have to give them a break when our own announcer doesn't get it right

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
There was some information after the game that was not apparent to most of us. The umpire was expanding the strike zone for the Memphis pitcher and not State's. Lemonis had words about it with the Ump earlier and that's why he got tossed so quickly.

Sure, they threw a weekend starter out there with good stuff but you give a guy like that an advantage with strike zone then it's going to be a long night for the hitters. Where it got uneven is that he was squeezing it on State's pitcher. I don't know if it was intentional or not but it happens sometimes because of varying deliveries and the way a Ump perceives a specific pitcher. That seemed to change when they pulled their starter.

This is why I am for an electronic strike zone. It's either a strike or it's not. Tennis has had it for decades, why can't we finally get it for baseball? Surely we could develop a system that can do it by now.
I think your clue on if it was intentional or not was the check swing call that got Lemonis ejected. That's about the worst call I have ever seen in baseball. It wasn't even close. Even the homer Memphis announcers on the broadcast said he went around. We need to quit playing them in anything. Their bush league crap got old 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Tennis now has a strike zone? I have GOT to get out more!***

Sweet, they have been getting baseline calls within fractions of an inch for the past several decades. Surely we can get a strike zone figured out.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Heck, the technology is already there and used on TV broadcasts every day. I think one of the minor leagues is using it for ball-strike calls on an experimental basis. You're right, it's way past time to automate the ball-strike calls in pro ball, at least for AAA and above. Problem for college will be, can all 300+ Div I schools afford the technology on their baseball budget. I'm guessing not.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Heck, the technology is already there and used on TV broadcasts every day. I think one of the minor leagues is using it for ball-strike calls on an experimental basis. You're right, it's way past time to automate the ball-strike calls in pro ball, at least for AAA and above. Problem for college will be, can all 300+ Div I schools afford the technology on their baseball budget. I'm guessing not.

You are right about colleges. No way the majority of schools would agree to foot the bill.

I guess it could be used by some conferences but I don't see it happening in college any time soon but for MLB, it is past time.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Pitching is currently the big issue with this team. Listening to the Out of Left Field podcast yesterday and they were comparing our stats from this point of the season to this same point in the season a year ago. Offense is actually a little better in most categories but in the pitching department, our team ERA is nearly 2 runs higher than it was this time last year and opponents are hitting at a nearly 50 points higher average against us than they were last year. Mix that in with a higher number of walks and you have a major pitching issue. Until we improve dramatically in that area this team is not going to achieve much of anything. Losing Sims, Simmons and Hunt has really put us in a fix. That's probably three of our six best pitchers starting out the season.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
It seems it would be complicated by the 3D nature of the strike zone as opposed to a 2D baseline, as well as the differences in height, stance, etc. for each hitter. I'm sure you could put a chip at the knee and chest (or bellybutton nowadays) of each player, but that seems cumbersome.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login