Thunder & Lightning: Stone Blanton and The Issues of Keeping Mississippi Recruit

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
Thunder & Lightning: Stone Blanton and The Issues of Keeping Mississippi Recruit

Mississippi State took a blow to its 2022 recruiting class on Monday, as coveted linebacker Stone Blanton made his commitment to South Carolina official. Brian Hadad and Robbie Faulk discuss why the Bulldogs couldn’t seal the deal on Blanton, and why he is a symptom of a bigger concern, keeping...
The post Thunder & Lightning: Stone Blanton and The Issues of Keeping Mississippi Recruits In-State appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.

More...

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Mississippi State took a blow to its 2022 recruiting class on Monday, as coveted linebacker Stone Blanton made his commitment to South Carolina official. Brian Hadad and Robbie Faulk discuss why the Bulldogs couldn’t seal the deal on Blanton, and why he is a symptom of a bigger concern, keeping...
The post Thunder & Lightning: Stone Blanton and The Issues of Keeping Mississippi Recruits In-State appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.

More...

I mentioned this in a thread yesterday(re:Blanton), and seems like you guys did on the pod as well. I think a lot of these guys absolutely choose to go out of state to avoid the backlash from either side In state.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I mentioned this in a thread yesterday(re:Blanton), and seems like you guys did on the pod as well. I think a lot of these guys absolutely choose to go out of state to avoid the backlash from either side In state.
Seems pretty weak to me. I think some of them just think they are too cool for MS.

I also thought Stone knew he wasn't going to play on the baseball team. Ultimately he made a mistake, he should have picked a sport first and foremost, then went where he had a better opportunity, then hoped the other sport worked out.

I see the transfer portal in his future, if he really chose it for the backlash.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Sounds like he didn't love State as much as most people were saying. Like most of you here who were lifelong dawgs like me, if I were offered a scholly in both baseball and football at State, there wouldn't have been a second option, Especially having the chance to play for a coach whose coming off just winning our first natty.

I guess he prefers being a cock.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Sounds like he didn't love State as much as most people were saying. Like most of you here who were lifelong dawgs like me, if I were offered a scholly in both baseball and football at State, there wouldn't have been a second option, Especially having the chance to play for a coach whose coming off just winning our first natty.

I guess he prefers being a cock.
Agree unless there is a fit problem or a bad coach or something, neither of which are present at MSU. Maybe it just boils down to playing time.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
You basically said everything I was going to say, so I won’t bother. When he didn’t commit back in October, I felt that the writing was on the wall about him not choosing MSU, but the whole thing still seems a little bizarre to me.

A Mississippi kid, two solid football programs in state, and two of the top baseball programs in the country in state, yet he chooses to go 7 hours away to a school that’s struggling mightily to keep its head above water in both…. Ok, I guess, but I also would put my money on the portal in his future

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
You basically said everything I was going to say, so I won’t bother. When he didn’t commit back in October, I felt that the writing was on the wall about him not choosing MSU, but the whole thing still seems a little bizarre to me.

A Mississippi kid, two solid football programs in state, and two of the top baseball programs in the country in state, yet he chooses to go 7 hours away to a school that’s struggling mightily to keep its head above water in both…. Ok, I guess, but I also would put my money on the portal in his future

Yep, if he had been bought in he would have committed back in September and spent his time recruiting others to play with him at State. Became obvious he was apparently looking for something that we weren't offering.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

Why SC? He had other offers from SEC schools. It is going to be a pain in the *** for his parents to go watch him play. He might be thinking of transferring out next season. This is just a lay over.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Dude committed to a school 24 hours ago and some of you are already calling for the transfer portal. That's hilarious.

Sometimes you lose a recruit. He may have had an awesome time on his visit, may have been promised the keys to the kingdom, or may have seen a cute girl. Who knows. My money is on he wanted to get the hell away from anyone he knows so he can change his name to Bill or George or Frank, anything but Stone.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
So I gave this a listen over lunch. I admit I'm normally a Rosebowl-type guy but I gave it a click. My thoughts:

1) Disagree with Robbie on players choosing coaches rather than schools. To say that it's so 100% is just not accurate.
2) Blanton was more of a 'perception' sign. We really aren't losing much that can't be replaced when it comes to the player. Our coaches knew this.
3) Our recruiting is as good as its ever been rankings wise. We are still relying heavily on MS kids and areas close by, and also where coaches have ties. Nothing has really changed here.

I think we're making way too big of a deal about this 'top' guys that we really don't often sign anyway, and it's a 50/50 shot they pan out anyhow. And now we're worried about defense? Just because of Jaheim Otis? Seems to me like we're signing plenty of quality DL. Otis is not a Jeffrey Simmons. Neither was McKinley Jackson and hell, looks like we dodged a bullet on that one.

We also didn't really pursue Jarquez Hunter, I heard Robbie say that.

Last edited:

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
While I may not be all in on Leach and the Air Raid at MSU, it's not like anybody has recruited any better for us. He'll get what he thinks he needs to put a winning program together.

And you got to feel better about his crew's ability to manage 'crootin' over anybody who posts on SPS.

No 5 star is a can't miss. Look at USC and Texas. And not every 2 star is a dud. Much rather win on the field than on somebody's made up prospects rating list.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
While I may not be all in on Leach and the Air Raid at MSU, it's not like anybody has recruited any better for us. He'll get what he thinks he needs to put a winning program together.

And you got to feel better about his crew's ability to manage 'crootin' over anybody who posts on SPS.

No 5 star is a can't miss. Look at USC and Texas. And not every 2 star is a dud. Much rather win on the field than on somebody's made up prospects rating list.
The formula for MSU has always been simple - load up the 'stars' in MS on defense, and then commit to an odd-ball system on offense, and keep the OL solid. If you hit on a QB, then you can have the up year.

If you look at the best players in our class, it's Moore, Moss, Russell. Defense. 2021, same thing - Cooper, Lewis, Anderson. 2020 - Forbes, Davis, Wheat. 2019 - Pickering, Russell. And yeah we signed some high rated offensive guys too and that's good. But MS produces defense and we get our share.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login