Thus ends one of the biggest lies ever perpetrated on the MSU fanbase

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Honestly the term "ole miss" is really great for them. Without this term the dont have nearly as much identity, it carries weight with/for them. I know exactly what you are saying, it is an extremely racial term, but they have done an incredible job of sweeping that under the rug (even when it gets national media traction) and its the reason why they have fought so hard to not get rid of it. It is their identity. They remove the term ole miss and they lose their legitimacy within 5-10 years.

If you’re ever traveling anywhere outside the southeast (and even inside the southeast), and you ever tell anyone you went to Mississippi State, 95% of the time you are going to get the same respnse: “Oh yeah, Ole Miss, right?”. One time I even had an older guy in Sanford Stadium at UGA try to tell me how much he loved Oxford as some kind of “consolation” after a loss.

Bottom line is that no one nationally has ever heard of Mississippi State or the University of Mississippi. They only know Ole Miss. They’ve kicked our *** quite badly with their branding and the simplicity of their shorthand name, as racist as it may be. And even if they wanted to get rid of it, they couldn’t. Imagine if Alabama had the word “Bama” on their helmet and then were like “No, no, no, we’re ALA-bama, now…..getting rid of that nickname!” Would that really work?

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Great summary. Thanks.

Lonnie and Sly. What a damaging combo.
Lonnie Tinkle referred to Sly Crooms as the best coach in college football after a big win. And I think he was serious.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Nah this ain’t it. The interlocking is the past, present, and future. The response from fans on social media and selling out a ton of the interlocking merchandise in less than 24 hours should tell you something. We were in the wilderness logo and uniform wise for nearly twenty years.

Now it’s time to get back to who we are. The vast majority of fans and outsiders recognize the interlocking is who we are. Don’t run from it, just embrace it. The interlocking ***** on anything we’ve done marketing wise since Sherrill retired.
You’re username seems biased!!!

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
If you’re ever traveling anywhere outside the southeast (and even inside the southeast), and you ever tell anyone you went to Mississippi State, 95% of the time you are going to get the same respnse: “Oh yeah, Ole Miss, right?”. One time I even had an older guy in Sanford Stadium at UGA try to tell me how much he loved Oxford as some kind of “consolation” after a loss.

Bottom line is that no one nationally has ever heard of Mississippi State or the University of Mississippi. They only know Ole Miss. They’ve kicked our *** quite badly with their branding and the simplicity of their shorthand name, as racist as it may be. And even if they wanted to get rid of it, they couldn’t. Imagine if Alabama had the word “Bama” on their helmet and then were like “No, no, no, we’re ALA-bama, now…..getting rid of that nickname!” Would that really work?
That’s not been my experience at all…. I get more random “Hail State” greetings all over the country, and I’m not wearing anything that has that phrase on it. Just a banner-M hat or a state polo or t-shirt.

There are plenty of morons out there, as well as people that simply don’t follow sports. But, we have some amount of national recognition now that we’ve probably never had before.

If a guy from Georgia talks to you about Oxford, he’s either completely drunk, completely retarded or even both. That’s not on us.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
Love the interlocking logo. It's been WAYY overdue.

Jerseys look sick too. Can our resident photoshoppers see what that uni would look like with the dark grey we've been using on the sleeve instead of the black stripe?

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Lonnie Tinkle referred to Sly Crooms as the best coach in college football after a big win. And I think he was serious.
Surprised he could talk with Mike Slive's __________ never mind. But regardless 17 both of them. Make that all three of them.

• Haha
Reactions: eckie1

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
If we have a successful season, and we come out in these and beat Kentucky, I believe we will wear them again in the Egg Bowl.

I've tried to take a step back and ask "Do I like these because they look awesome?" or "Do I like these because I enjoyed watching our teams kick *** in them?" The answer is somewhere in between. They certainly look better than anything with the Banner Wordmark.
It's a one time shot (for now). Even the merch has a timeframe to sell and it's "back in the vault". It's 75% about making money and 25% honoring the 98 team.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
If we have a successful season, and we come out in these and beat Kentucky, I believe we will wear them again in the Egg Bowl.

I've tried to take a step back and ask "Do I like these because they look awesome?" or "Do I like these because I enjoyed watching our teams kick *** in them?" The answer is somewhere in between. They certainly look better than anything with the Banner Wordmark.
My biggest hang-up with the '98 uniform is "MISS STATE" on the chest. It looks awful and is/has been fodder for many jokes from opposing fan bases (MISS-STAKE, etc). Get rid of that and the uniforms look a LOT better.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The rest of the story is Byrne hired a national marketing firm to create our official brand. The national firm designed the logos (linked in this thread and currently on the Mississippi State University website) and our first real attempt at branding occurred. So all these stories about copying Marshall, Templeton and Croom are irrelevant. Byrne, other decision makers at State and a national firm created the current brand that did not include Nikes MSU because felt MState was the better logo. For me, when I think of MState, I think of Byrne, Dan, Dak and Schaffer.

Speaking of Byrne, when it comes to making decisions, someone has to be the leader. Otherwise you get a million opinions and request, none of which will be the same. You can see this every damn time the university trots out a new throwback to make a buck. We have people wanting only baseball logos for everything. This msu and that msu, flying M, 70s practice jerseys and pirates and jolly Rogers... what a cluster.

Also, talk about deception... bringing back logos that the school isn't going to use long term, to make adidas more money. It dilutes the brand and creates confusion. But hey.... make that coin &elmon.
This post doesn't have nearly enough ampersands.**

Ash189

Oct 8, 2014
I wonder how much of the fanfare here is from nostalgia. I certainly like the throwbacks more than the banner Mississippi State logo on uniforms, but I didn’t become a State fan until I went to school there in the Mullen years. I don’t have a nostalgic connection to these new throwbacks, and I think they’re average. Better than the M-State, but not as good as the Script State. I wish I could see a breakdown of opinions versus how long you’ve been a fan.

but Miss. State is FAR superior to banner Mississippi State on the chest in my opinion.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I'm of the opinion that we need to stick with a logo. I think changing as often as we have lessens brand recognition nationwide. Most of the iconic teams have logos that they have stuck with for decades.
Most other fan bases that I have seen comment on the msu logo have said we shouldn't have dropped it and it was our best look we ever had. They recognize us as that as do a lot of people who remember the 80s 90s early 00s football. It's a classic look much like lsu Alabama Arkansas auburn for us.

Reactions: M R DAWGS

JWSDawgs

Mar 16, 2021
1) why did they lie to us? I don’t understand why they just didn’t say we don’t want to use it anymore

2) whoever it was who lied about it needs to be held responsible and needs to come out and offer an apology to the fanbase and an explanation on why they lied about it

Reactions: knock him out john

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
Nah this ain’t it. The interlocking is the past, present, and future. The response from fans on social media and selling out a ton of the interlocking merchandise in less than 24 hours should tell you something. We were in the wilderness logo and uniform wise for nearly twenty years.

Now it’s time to get back to who we are. The vast majority of fans and outsiders recognize the interlocking is who we are. Don’t run from it, just embrace it. The interlocking ***** on anything we’ve done marketing wise since Sherrill retired.
This may be true - IN MISSISSIPPI - but I can assure you that the banner M-State logo is "who we are" EVERY WHERE ELSE!! I know because I live way out of state and I've not met or been exposed to anyone else anywhere who doesn't know what it is and "who we are."

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
This may be true - IN MISSISSIPPI - but I can assure you that the banner M-State logo is "who we are" EVERY WHERE ELSE!! I know because I live way out of state and I've not met or been exposed to anyone else anywhere who doesn't know what it is and "who we are."
I also live out of state and majority feedback I've heard is that the msu is what they remember us as and wondered why we ever left it.

JWSDawgs

Mar 16, 2021
Steve is taking credit for the logo?
He said he was the one who did the investigating on the logo and found out Nike didn’t own it and he was scared someone steal it from us and make money off of it so he got his copyright attorney involved and called John Cohen and got the ball rolling on it.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Why can't we just make everyone happen and go with script STATE on the helmet? This seems to be the answer to the riddle, in my mind.

University can keep the banner MState, because it is recognizable and is good branding. It also makes good use of 'STATE', which the interlocking did not do. We now say Hail STATE. But we also all agree that the banner MState isn't that good looking on a helmet. It's a win/win.

I think the official MState things can stay the same in basketball, and it looks good there and on the court. Just my opinion.

Just accept it, it's over for the interlocking MSJ. It's a one-off deal to commemorate the 1998 team, nothing more.
Goat gonna goat

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
The rest of the story is Byrne hired a national marketing firm to create our official brand. The national firm designed the logos (linked in this thread and currently on the Mississippi State University website) and our first real attempt at branding occurred. So all these stories about copying Marshall, Templeton and Croom are irrelevant. Byrne, other decision makers at State and a national firm created the current brand that did not include Nikes MSU because felt MState was the better logo. For me, when I think of MState, I think of Byrne, Dan, Dak and Schaffer.

Speaking of Byrne, when it comes to making decisions, someone has to be the leader. Otherwise you get a million opinions and request, none of which will be the same. You can see this every damn time the university trots out a new throwback to make a buck. We have people wanting only baseball logos for everything. This msu and that msu, flying M, 70s practice jerseys and pirates and jolly Rogers... what a cluster.

Also, talk about deception... bringing back logos that the school isn't going to use long term, to make adidas more money. It dilutes the brand and creates confusion. But hey.... make that coin &elmon.
That’s fine. But to the point of this thread, don’t lie about it. Don’t purposely create a lie and false narrative in order to easily get your way and what you want. It’s just flat out wrong and absolutely should be called out.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That’s fine. But to the point of this thread, don’t lie about it. Don’t purposely create a lie and false narrative in order to easily get your way and what you want. It’s just flat out wrong and absolutely should be called out.
Call it out. But get past it.

Script State is the way.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Just because someone outside of MS may identify us by an awful logo that was created less than 20 years ago doesn’t mean the university should keep it. Adapt and evolve. It’s a new day.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Reminds me of the South Park.... "Dey took our jobs".

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

Spotdawg

Feb 15, 2007
There were always rumors around about Templeton's "relationship$" with some of our athletic suppliers. If you connect a few dots some of this will make more sense.
Finally the true story about Larry begins to bubble up from the deep. If we dig deep enough, you would be shocked at the amount of "questionable" deals and unfavorable relationships that were ongoing. We had an anchor tied to our waist...

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
Call it out. But get past it.

Script State is the way.
What looks better on a hat: This script state or the 98 interlocking MSU?
What do the majority of fans want more?
What merchandise if available would sell more?
Who had a script logo on their helmet first, Ole Miss or us?
Do we really want to copy our rival?

HotMop

May 8, 2006

The interlocking logo sucks. I said what I said.

Reactions: Maroon13

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What looks better on a hat: This script state or the 98 interlocking MSU?
What do the majority of fans want more?
What merchandise if available would sell more?
Who had a script logo on their helmet first, Ole Miss or us?
Do we really want to copy our rival?
Script State looks better. Sometimes our rivals have good ideas.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Why can't we just make everyone happen and go with script STATE on the helmet? This seems to be the answer to the riddle, in my mind.

University can keep the banner MState, because it is recognizable and is good branding. It also makes good use of 'STATE', which the interlocking did not do. We now say Hail STATE. But we also all agree that the banner MState isn't that good looking on a helmet. It's a win/win.

I think the official MState things can stay the same in basketball, and it looks good there and on the court. Just my opinion.

Just accept it, it's over for the interlocking MSJ. It's a one-off deal to commemorate the 1998 team, nothing more.
Because it looks like cheap trash that’s why. I’ll never buy anything with that script logo on it.

Reactions: Maroon13

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
When I was a student circa 2012, our athletic marketing director at the time was Chad Thomas. He was a guest speaker for one of my classes and he took questions at the end. Someone flat out asked him about the Nike/interlocking logo story, and his story was that Nike did not actually own the logo but MSU was simply choosing to not use it anymore.

Keep in mind this was during the Stricklin era where we threw a million things at the wall and not much stuck, but we never even tried the interlocking logo. We would instead do these half baked references to the late 90’s (the Snow Bowl 2012 debacle, the 2014 “100 years of DWS” uniforms) but never went all the way with it, even when our fans were begging for the interlocking logo.

Marketing 101 is to simply give your consumers what they want. But rather than do that, for 20 years the MSU administration tried to outsmart its own fans and come up with any reason or alternative under the sun. This support for the interlocking logo isn’t a new thing at all. It was being discussed in the stands at games and on message boards during the Croom era.
Also in 2012, Mike Nemeth publicly stated that Nike owned the logo. In response to questions about the planned "Snow Bowl" uniforms, he said Nike owned the old logo, but we hadn't planned on using it, anyway.

Of course, Nemeth worked in the AD for a long time, so if the conspiracy is true then maybe he was just saying what he had been told.

I have searched for trademark info in the past, and as far as I could tell no one has ever filed an application to register the logo as a trademark. Our other helmet logos have all been registered.

Nov 25, 2019
Since we’re on the subject, there’s something that keeps bothering me, and I can’t be the only one. On the boards and FB groups, I have been seeing a ton of people call this logo (interlocking MSU) the MSJ and it’s annoying.

it is my understanding, the msj is an earlier interlocking logo (80s) that when you look at it, the right side of the U is obscured by the S. The logo we all love is not this logo.

I can’t be the only one cringing
well said. I'm cringing!!

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Finally the true story about Larry begins to bubble up from the deep. If we dig deep enough, you would be shocked at the amount of "questionable" deals and unfavorable relationships that were ongoing. We had an anchor tied to our waist...
There are still plenty of people around that knew what was going on but getting them to talk now may be a bit difficult.

Reactions: Spotdawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login