Thus ends one of the biggest lies ever perpetrated on the MSU fanbase

Nov 25, 2019
It's over, man. We are State, not MSU.

Enjoy the Kentucky game, and move on. I promise you that logo won't stay. Bookmark this post.
I'm with you. It's a one game deal in my opinion. Maybe use them in the Egg Bowl. We have got to get to one football look...too many gimmick uniforms.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'd say about half our fanbase is too self-conscious to even say Hail State to each other, and don't nearly understand how unifying that could be. Just like Hotty Toddy, Roll Tide or War Eagle. So scared of something new.

There is just no reason to go backwards. None. State is the answer, whatever it needs to be, not MSU. At least the banner MState emphasizes 'State'. And if we don't like the script, we could just use a block State. I don't care, but that's the direction we need to go.

soccerdad

Apr 16, 2019
Why can’t we get with one thing and quit jumping around? I like Sherrills idea of Miss. State on the front so you see it as the player is running and it sho up on tv.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
The interlocking MSU is by far our best football helmet logo ever.

The cursive State is nice, but a combination of the two with MSU on the helmet and a large State in the middle of the chest might work. It doesn’t have to be cursive.

The banner M is an abomination in every form.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
If you’re ever traveling anywhere outside the southeast (and even inside the southeast), and you ever tell anyone you went to Mississippi State, 95% of the time you are going to get the same respnse: “Oh yeah, Ole Miss, right?”. One time I even had an older guy in Sanford Stadium at UGA try to tell me how much he loved Oxford as some kind of “consolation” after a loss.

Bottom line is that no one nationally has ever heard of Mississippi State or the University of Mississippi. They only know Ole Miss. They’ve kicked our *** quite badly with their branding and the simplicity of their shorthand name, as racist as it may be. And even if they wanted to get rid of it, they couldn’t. Imagine if Alabama had the word “Bama” on their helmet and then were like “No, no, no, we’re ALA-bama, now…..getting rid of that nickname!” Would that really work?
That may be true for football or basketball but the M over S is pretty well known. I was touring the colosseum in Rome back in 2014 wearing my baseball cap when a guy about 50 feet away yelled 'Mississippi State!'. He had on a yellow polo with a purple emblem so I went walking toward him said "LSU". He grinned and said nope. He pulled up his sleeve to reveal an Ohio State tat on his bicep. I was actually blown away that an Ohio State fan knew our baseball logo.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
You're going to be unhappy.
There’s plenty of gear to go around. I’ll stick with the baseball caps and old stuff if I have to but I really don’t think script will be the only option. I doubt these people are dumb enough to use a single word that means nothing outside of MS to be the single branding option.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Good gosh.... What do you do when you go to campus and see MState everywhere .... have a stroke?

Assuming you even visit.
Imagine just seeing “State” everywhere. On every cap, shirt, letterhead, TV graphic, building, etc. It’s silly.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
State is ok but when since I don't live in Mississippi I tell people I went to Mississippi State or msu. You know there are state's in every state. Alabama state, Tennessee state, Louisiana state, penn state, Michigan state. To say state makes since when you are in Mississippi but when you are branding nationwide msu or Mississippi State or even miss state. Makes more sense with msu. Only juveniles and idiots think Miss. State is some kind of derogatory thing thing or feminine or is derived from ole miss.

The old uniforms with msu helmets and miss state on the jerseys was the best branding we ever had and idiots 17ed it up.

Deltaduckhunter

Feb 25, 2017
Why can’t we get with one thing and quit jumping around? I like Sherrills idea of Miss. State on the front so you see it as the player is running and it sho up on tv.
I agree. I think we are always going to struggle with brand recognition and out-of-staters confusing us with OM when we have a new logo every 10 - 15 years.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I agree. I think we are always going to struggle with brand recognition and out-of-staters confusing us with OM when we have a new logo every 10 - 15 years.
We have the wrong AD. He makes decisions at the whims of fan boys. Now he has a mess introducing &tate and bringing back a dormant logo. Hopefully he hops on the hiring carousel late fall and is out of here.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
I'd say about half our fanbase is too self-conscious to even say Hail State to each other, and don't nearly understand how unifying that could be. Just like Hotty Toddy, Roll Tide or War Eagle. So scared of something new.

There is just no reason to go backwards. None. State is the answer, whatever it needs to be, not MSU. At least the banner MState emphasizes 'State'. And if we don't like the script, we could just use a block State. I don't care, but that's the direction we need to go.
Interlocking MSU on the helmet, block STATE on the front of the jersey. Appeases you, me, and most everyone else. Am I right?

Reactions: ChE1997

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I just don't care if we use script or interlocking. Doesn't make a damn to me. I'm just glad the MState/banner is dying.
I do wish our fans had the same level of passion for giving support as they do damn uniform design.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I just don't care if we use script or interlocking. Doesn't make a damn to me. I'm just glad the MState/banner is dying.
I do wish our fans had the same level of passion for giving support as they do damn uniform design.
Banner MState is not dying. It's the official school logo. I don't know what has to happen to get this through the thick skulls around here.

Reactions: Maroon13

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
1) why did they lie to us? I don’t understand why they just didn’t say we don’t want to use it anymore

2) whoever it was who lied about it needs to be held responsible and needs to come out and offer an apology to the fanbase and an explanation on why they lied about it
I don't like being lied to either, but as far as lies goes this one was pretty harmless. We changed logos, and we weren't going back to the old one. The reason for it doesn't really matter.

I never understood the claim that Nike owned the rights to the logo, unless it was a copyright issue. If a Nike employee designed the logo, then Nike would own the copyright, which would explain why they supplied it to other schools after we dumped it. Maybe Selmon or Cohen could answer that as far as these unis go.

I did notice the logo is now being claimed as a trademark on the apparel, though.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We have the wrong AD. He makes decisions at the whims of fan boys. Now he has a mess introducing &tate and bringing back a dormant logo. Hopefully he hops on the hiring carousel late fall and is out of here.
He was hired for one reason - NIL. And I think that was a mistake. We need strategic planning, not just FuNdRaIsInG.

Enjoy this next academic year. I do think all the big 3 sports will be pretty good. But I foresee some dark days ahead beyond that for football and baseball.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Did Simpleton (or anyone in the AD) actually tell fans Nike owned MSU, or did we just assume it?
I never heard Templeton say it. I think you're right. If that was the thought by our fans, then it was likely assumed. And everybody knows what the word "A$s U Me" means.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
1) why did they lie to us? I don’t understand why they just didn’t say we don’t want to use it anymore

2) whoever it was who lied about it needs to be held responsible and needs to come out and offer an apology to the fanbase and an explanation on why they lied about it
Before the marketing "contracts" between suppliers and schools became such big deals AD's had a (allegedly) lot more autonomy in making decisions about what supplier to go with. It was RUMORED during that same period that some suppliers also formed very "close" relationships with some AD's while trying to influence their decisions. Again just unsubstantiated rumors and allegations BUT then I believe rumors are encouraged here.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Oh Come On Jim Carrey GIF

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Got to love that Goat, with all the evidence pointing otherwise on this, acts like he knows all. You're in for a rude awakening.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
Every time I see those "Croom unis" I want to throw up. Plainest, ugliest crap I've ever seen. I don't mind white helmets, but those things were an abomination. I remember when we went to Russell. It was an embarrassment. It's a wonder we are where we are now with the athletic department leaders we've had in the past.

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
Banner MState is not dying. It's the official school logo. I don't know what has to happen to get this through the thick skulls around here.
The banner m looks pretty good on all the small flags and light poles on campus and on official letterhead. It’s not the best logo for a helmet/sports team.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Every time I see those "Croom unis" I want to throw up. Plainest, ugliest crap I've ever seen. I don't mind white helmets, but those things were an abomination. I remember when we went to Russell. It was an embarrassment. It's a wonder we are where we are now with the athletic department leaders we've had in the past.
He wanted that "BAMA" plain jane look for MSU.....them and Penn St. never change.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login