To the people that watched on tv

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
i never can tell what is and isn’t targeting so all I can say is Preston did make initial contact with his head.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Can’t lead with crown of the helmet. I was pissed… not so much because it was the wrong call, but because that doesn’t get called 9 out of 10 times. They normally don’t call it unless it’s a hit to the helmet. I’ve seen hits like the one today called targeting in real time and then overturned. It’s honestly up to each ref

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Yes. He put the top of his head into his chest. If he looks up and puts his facemask in his chest it would not have been. Even though it was, I wouldn't have called it. There are dozens of tackles like that every game by both teams. Why call that one?

Itsaboutus

Dec 23, 2015
Can’t lead with crown of the helmet. I was pissed… not so much because it was the wrong call, but because that doesn’t get called 9 out of 10 times. They normally don’t call it unless it’s a hit to the helmet. I’ve seen hits like the one today called targeting in real time and then overturned. It’s honestly up to each ref
This ^^^

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Was that targeting on JT Daniels? It looked like a bs call in person.
Yeah, that’s when I turned the **** show off for good. The little bastard was fixing to go all the way, if he hadn’t stopped him.

DonFive

Oct 13, 2022
I see the so called targeting plays a lot actually. Just depends on when the ref wants to throw a flag I guess. And yes I stopped watching when I realized the OC wasn't serious about trying to be competitive.

yelchevelle

Apr 30, 2014
I'll be ok with those calls if they would also call it on ballcarriers who lower their heads. They never do.
He would have been bowled if he had not “targeted”. That’s their quarterback. I honestly think it caught him off guard that the quarterback was lunging up (like preparing to hurdle him) instead of sliding. If we are going to have that as targeting, I think these mobile quarterbacks/quarterbacks in general should have to declare at the beginning of the game if they are a running back that throws or a quarterback. If you are a quarterback, then you get the protection of the slide. The defender is second guessing on what to do there most of the time. Our guy committed, and was ejected for it. I can suffer through crappy play. I got up and went to the shop after that call. That’s crap.

I hate what this has become. Was it targeting? Yes. Should that be called? No, unless our goal is going to turn this into flag football. I love football. It’s all I played in high school. But what all this is becoming between Nil, some of these rules, transfer portal, etc, we should put our whole budget into basketball and baseball. The whole deck is being stacked against us even more than it always has.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Chucky Mullins was paralyzed on a play similar to that years ago. It's protecting the defenders

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
This play is why we need a Yellow / Red card approach.

He’s out in the 1H next week now, right?

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Barstool sports had two different bloggers independently blog about how terrible the call was.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Barstool, now that is impressive.
Vine Ok GIF

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Once Daniels jumped that wasn't targeting. It was a bad call. Had to be helmet to helmet to be targeting in that situation. Wasn't a defenseless player. It was discussed in an online show and that's what they were saying.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Once Daniels jumped that wasn't targeting. It was a bad call. Had to be helmet to helmet to be targeting in that situation. Wasn't a defenseless player. It was discussed in an online show and that's what they were saying.
According to the rule, if you lead with the crown of the helmet it is targeting, no matter if it's helmet to helmet or helmet to whatever. That was absolutely targeting. That part of the rule is to protect the tackler. What he did is how you wind up like Chucky Mullens.

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
Yes. He did lead with the crown of his helmet.
Lead with the crown of his helmet to the lower extremity. Not head to head; no targeting. Since no one can decipher the rule, why have it?

TNT.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Was that targeting on JT Daniels? It looked like a bs call in person.
Why? Because the crew running the Jumbotron couldn’t figure how to show replays again yesterday ? I’m curious about that - did they struggle again this week? Last week was pathetic.

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
Why? Because the crew running the Jumbotron couldn’t figure how to show replays again yesterday ? I’m curious about that - did they struggle again this week? Last week was pathetic.
No. The replays worked. They showed what looked to me like a nice form shoulder tackle.

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
Btw that was me that found you on Facebook lol

Dawgbyte

Sep 22, 2011
And then you have the cheap hit on Hunter in the Colorado game. They called unnecessary roughness on the play, but I felt like that play was more targeting even though he didn’t lead with crown. There was definite intent.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
And then you have the cheap hit on Hunter in the Colorado game. They called unnecessary roughness on the play, but I felt like that play was more targeting even though he didn’t lead with crown. There was definite intent.
The foul for targeting is 100% to protect the one lowering their head. 0% to protect the one getting hit.

LeBron made a tweet that really showed his ignorance of this rule.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Letter of the law - you can make that call. Should you? No. Not unless someone wants to explain to me how he could have made that tackle differently at game speed. He made his best play. It was a good tackle. Football is dangerous and he didn't do anything that made it incrementally so. That should never be penalized.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login