Today helped or hurt Arnett’s case to return next year?

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
I don’t see how that **** show helped his case, but if we finish 6-6 and go to a bowl, nobody is going to look at how ugly the wins were. Honestly, if he went 3-9 this year, he was probably still going to get a second year. I think his record this year was kind of a moot point.

All that said, I don’t want to see Arnett fired. I want to see him learn from his mistakes and become a great head football coach who takes MSU to new heights. I think that’s what we all want. I just don’t know if that’s a realistic expectation or if we can afford to have the patience to let him grow up as a head coach.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Maybe so but Arkansas has played close games against everyone. Auburn not so much. Auburn has played a very similar season to us
auburn has some athletes on defense and won’t beat themselves. this team will struggle to score there. if Auburn can muster 14 points that will probably put it out of reach.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
auburn has some athletes on defense and won’t beat themselves. this team will struggle to score there. if Auburn can muster 14 points that will probably put it out of reach.
Could be: if will is out, have to keep getting wright more comfortable in the offense and opening it up some. More rpo to the flats

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
He didn't help himself at all with me, if anything he showed total coaching ignorance several times. 4th & less than 1 from the shotgun, 3rd and 3 to ice the win at their 10 and running a walking wounded Woody, I just don't follow the logic he uses sometimes

Reactions: Mjoelner

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I think they game plan was ball control runnin game. Very much like Florida in 2010 with Relf. We really limited the playbook today and decided to keep on on the ground s lot and only throw when we needed to. To keep the defense off the field.
I applaud your hopeful stance and sincerely hope that I eat crow on this coaching staff!

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I applaud your hopeful stance and sincerely hope that I eat crow on this coaching staff!
I expected Arkansas to blow us out with the way we have played. But they didn't: the defense had been a major question mark. Arkansas has scored some points this season. The offense needs to get to work if wright is the guy snd start getting more comfortable and open the offense up some more.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I expected Arkansas to blow us out with the way we have played. But they didn't: the defense had been a major question mark. Arkansas has scored some points this season. The offense needs to get to work if weight is the guy snd start getting more comfortable and open the offense up some more.
Yep, you have to go all the way back to 1992 to find the last game we held UPig to only a field goal. This was a historically good defensive performance by us...and against a veteran SEC quarterback.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
It probably helped. This board is too lazy to show up at arnetts house ready to load his furniture into a moving van.

civildawg88

Aug 22, 2012
Giving ZA another year just because he beat a horrible Arkansas team and looked horrible doing it is so Mississippi state. I would have rather lost if it meant we are going to keep him

Reactions: msugolf

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
What say you?
If we don’t make a change this year… MSU officially doesn’t take football seriously.

Recruiting is in the *******, we just won a game only slightly better than 2008 Auburn - MSU to the last place team in the west, and we are upperclassman heavy and playing like it’s a rebuilding year.

Stay the course and we just fall farther behind.

Period.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
I think they game plan was ball control runnin game. Very much like Florida in 2010 with Relf. We really limited the playbook today and decided to keep on on the ground s lot and only throw when we needed to. To keep the defense off the field.
Not to mention, Florida was ranked and really good, whereas this Arkansas team is really really bad this year.

Last edited:

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
I think he comes back for sure now. If we go 5-7, I wonder if he will get the extension for the full 4 year contract.
I think you give him the extension for appearance sake but no pay increase or change to the buyout.

Reactions: patdog

Hail State

Dec 27, 2009
What say you?
I don’t care if Arnett wins out, if he is our coach next year we have no one to blame for the next decade of the ****** football we get to watch. Fat Luke 2.0. Your first loss is your best loss. No need to extend the inevitable shitiness.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
I don’t care if Arnett wins out, if he is our coach next year we have no one to blame for the next decade of the ****** football we get to watch. Fat Luke 2.0. Your first loss is your best loss. No need to extend the inevitable shitiness.
ole Miss board had a thread on Arnett, they all wanted him retained. is this because they respect and admire him ?

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
The decisions he made to take delay of game penalties twice on fourth and short on their side of the field, and then to decide to go for it on fourth down in the second half while up 7-3 on our side of the field, is asinine coaching. He got bailed out by a very questionable flag for a WR false start/not set penalty on us, otherwise we lose this game on that one coaching decision alone. If he doesn’t make a bowl game this year especially considering how many returning starters he had, he should be fired for sure.
Add in the fact that with Jimmy Sexton now involved, it'll probably cost a lot more to get rid of him next year after we only win 3 or 4 games.

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
Wouldn't that be the game tonight? It's not like he is playing rose bowl

Say what? Why would this be his personal Super Bowl? It’s just another game. Now, tonight is probably a big game for him.
Laugh mfers. He wants a big win over a Mississippi team at home in his first year to put wind in his sails. He’ll get it next week.

I remember people laughing his first year at ole miss too. And he’s doing the same thing at auburn he did there. Taking chicken **** and making it if not more respectable, at least more tolerable.

Frosty will walk the dog on Arnett next week. Veteran versus a newcomer. Both in positions of need.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Laugh mfers. He wants a big win over a Mississippi team at home in his first year to put wind in his sails. He’ll get it next week.

I remember people laughing his first year at ole miss too. And he’s doing the same thing at auburn he did there. Taking chicken **** and making it if not more respectable, at least more tolerable.

Frosty will walk the dog on Arnett next week. Veteran versus a newcomer. Both in positions of need.
Have to agree, they will smoke us. auburn D will **** us down and Ashford will look like LSUs qb

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Yesterday helped Arnett. It’s an upset win on the road in the conference.
Arnett’s side of the ball finally showed up.
Obviously the offense looked like doodoo, but that’s harder to hold against him when a) you lost your starting quarterback b) you won the game.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Add in the fact that with Jimmy Sexton now involved, it'll probably cost a lot more to get rid of him next year after we only win 3 or 4 games.
If it does, we need to fire an athletic director too. Anything less than 7 wins and any demands for a raise or increase in the buyout need to be ignored. If he can get a better deal somewhere else, go for it.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Of course it helped. At the end of the year his resume is W‘s and L’s. There’s wins, good wins, and great wins but there is no such thing as a bad win.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login