Top replacements for Lemonis

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That man isn’t coming to Starkville unless he’s on the opposing team.
He would if we paid him and proved the NIL commitment. He’d need equivalent money to what Saban got in 2007 (equivalent as in, how it compares to the average in college baseball).

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Any chance we can get Scott Berry to come out of retirement after just one year away? Get him to turn us back around before he thinks about retiring again.

I'd be all for Lane Burroughs, but am a little concerned about his last season.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Sure bud...Chizik won a title with other coaches players also.
Chizik won a title with a singular player that he recruited - the most physically dominant player and biggest cheat code to ever grace a college football field. The remainder of the roster was inferior to a Mississippi State roster that was largely recruited by Sly Croom. And he did all of it while Gus Malzahn was doing all the heavy lifting. Not quite the same situation.

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
Chizik won a title with a singular player that he recruited - the most physically dominant player and biggest cheat code to ever grace a college football field. The remainder of the roster was inferior to a Mississippi State roster that was largely recruited by Sly Croom. And he did all of it while Gus Malzahn was doing all the heavy lifting. Not quite the same situation.
Chizik won a NC in his 2nd season...Lemonis won a NC in his 2nd season(can't count 2020).

Chizik had 1 losing seasons out of 4...Lemonis looks to be headed towards his 3rd losing season out of 5.

Reactions: beachbumdawg

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Between Vitello and Billy Martin I’m not sure which might be the more likely hire for us.
I’ll admit I don’t have my finger on the pulse of college baseball outside of State, but I’m just confused here. I understand that Vitello would be a home run candidate, but is he really THAT unattainable? No one was acting like this when we were talking about going for Schloss or Dan McDonnell last time and they were much more accomplished than Tony V is to this point. Why is it so crazy that he would consider leaving Tennessee to come to a much more dedicated baseball school?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I’ll admit I don’t have my finger on the pulse of college baseball outside of State, but I’m just confused here. I understand that Vitello would be a home run candidate, but is he really THAT unattainable? No one was acting like this when we were talking about going for Schloss or Dan McDonnell last time and they were much more accomplished than Tony V is to this point. Why is it so crazy that he would consider leaving Tennessee to come to a much more dedicated baseball school?
I believe Vitello is single and has a condo in Nashville. TN can pay him whatever. He isn’t coming here. Call him. But he isn’t combing. We were never getting McDonnell. Schloss was looking for any way out of TCU and was dying for our job.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
State has one of the best NIL's in college baseball...which is why our portal class the past two years have been ranked in the top 5(which says a lot about how bad Lemonis is).State baseball isn't hurting for money.
This isn’t true

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
What isn't true?
Don’t have one of the best nil deals in college baseball. We don’t even have a top 5 nil deal in our own conference. Ark, lsu, UT, Texas AM, and Florida all paying kids more than we are.

and our portal class has been laughable. nowhede near top 5

Reactions: Anon1664516582

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
Don’t have one of the best nil deals in college baseball. We don’t even have a top 5 nil deal in our own conference. Ark, lsu, UT, Texas AM, and Florida all paying kids more than we are.

and our portal class has been laughable. nowhede near top 5
I'm not guessing on that statement....our NIL situation is one of the best in college baseball...not the best(that would be LSU) but it's way up there.

As far as the portal class...it's been ranked high the past two classes....you'll have to blame Lemonis for the reason it hasn't produced.We lost a kid this past portal class to another SEC school even though we were his highest NIL offer.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I'm not guessing on this....our NIL situation is one of the best in college baseball...not the best(that would be LSU) but it's way up there.

As far as the portal class...it's been ranked high the past two classes....you'll have to blame Lemonis for the reason it hasn't produced.We lost a kid this past portal class to another SEC school even though we were his highest NIL offer.
I’m not guessing either. Texas am, lsu, Florida, Tennessee, and arkansas all pay players more. what the situation is I don’t have the exacts, but have been told by someone that would know the 2 Mississippi and 2 Alabama schools are both league average in terms on nils and baseball. All 4 are trying like hell to catch the 5 i mentioned above.

this is backed by the fact these teams get players that Others don’t. Also we almost lost Jordan due to the lack of nil funding. We may be higher than the conference USA schools and be ranked in the top 25 or whatever. But we aren’t at the top by a good margin

portal class hasn’t been ranked highly by anything reputable. BA ranks on quantity not quality. The past portal class was ranked 10th in the sec if I’m not mistaken.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
I’m not guessing either. Texas am, lsu, Florida, Tennessee, and arkansas all pay players more. what the situation is I don’t have the exacts, but have been told by someone that would know the 2 Mississippi and 2 Alabama schools are both league average in terms on nils and baseball. All 4 are trying like hell to catch the 5 i mentioned above

portal class hasn’t been ranked highly by anything reputable. BA ranks on quantity not quality. The past portal class was ranked 10th in the sec if I’m not mistaken.
That very well could have been the case a couple of years ago when the NIL stuff started but that is not the case now...like I said I'm not guessing on that part.We're not LSU level but we're way up the list.

Since when did BA become not be reputable?This is news to me....we can agree that what Lemonis has brought in hasn't lived up it what he should be but there are reasons for that and it falls at the feet of one person.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Go back to the pay board where people think you know stuff. You have nothing to stand on with this stance.

Facts: Lemonis can coach. Evidence: Trophy.

Facts: 5 years later, our players are inferior to Air Force and Austin Peay.
Isn't recruiting development and evaluation part of coaching?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
That very well could have been the case a couple of years ago when the NIL stuff started but that is not the case now...like I said I'm not guessing on that part.We're not LSU level but we're way up the list.

Since when did BA become not be reputable?This is news to me....we can agree that what Lemonis has brought in hasn't lived up to what he should be but there is reasons for that and it falls at the feet of one person.
Unless something has changed in the last 6 months I stand by what I said.if it has then job well done. But lsu, Texas am, Florida, Arkansas, Texas am… all have higher payrolls basdbalk wise. Could just be going to the big fish. But overall nil money able to be doled out. We are closer to the upper tier than the elites. Again we don’t ranked higher than those guys. I have 3 people all telling me the same thing. The 5 I mentioned are bigger. Ark, lsu, Texas am.. the biggest. Tenn is ahead of the curb and ponying up to keep votello happy, and Florida is right there as well

where are those baseball America rankings? I saw somewhere in the 20s, and the year, before slightly better.

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
Unless something has changed in the last 6 months I stand by what I said.if it has then job well done. But lsu, Texas am, Florida, Arkansas, Texas am… all have higher payrolls basdbalk wise. Could just be going to the big fish. But overall nil money able to be doled out. We are closer to the upper tier than the elites. Again we don’t ranked higher than those guys.

where are those baseball America rankings? I saw somewhere in the 20s, and the year, before slightly better.
This has been the case since last summer......Florida's baseball NIL is just okay.....we outbid Texas AM for a player and still lost him....we had a strong offer to Chase Burns(probably the second best offer behind LSU) and he wasn't interested....NIL offer to Holman was really close to what LSU offered and we finished second.We haven't been able to flex on the NIL because this staff hasn't been able to close the deal on the top names.

Our NIL offer to Skenes was just as good as Arkansas offered but the situation here wasn't better than what LSU offered(plus the NIL offer).

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
I’m not guessing either. Texas am, lsu, Florida, Tennessee, and arkansas all pay players more. what the situation is I don’t have the exacts, but have been told by someone that would know the 2 Mississippi and 2 Alabama schools are both league average in terms on nils and baseball. All 4 are trying like hell to catch the 5 i mentioned above.

this is backed by the fact these teams get players that Others don’t. Also we almost lost Jordan due to the lack of nil funding. We may be higher than the conference USA schools and be ranked in the top 25 or whatever. But we aren’t at the top by a good margin

Truth!!!

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I'm not guessing on that statement....our NIL situation is one of the best in college baseball...not the best(that would be LSU) but it's way up there.

A&M has the most NIL money for baseball and football. State picked up a couple of pitchers in the portal from schools I didn't know existed.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
This has been the case since last summer......Florida's baseball NIL is just okay.....we outbid Texas AM for a player and still lost him....we had a strong offer to Chase Burns(probably the second best offer behind LSU) and he wasn't interested....NIL offer to Holman was really close to what LSU offered and we finished second.We haven't been able to flex on the NIL because this staff hasn't been able to close the deal on the top names.

Our NIL offer to Skenes was just as good as Arkansas offered but the situation here wasn't better than what LSU offered(plus the NIL offer).
Yes NIL is important but so is confidence that the school you choose gets you to o where you want to go -?States staff doesn’t satisfy the latter

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Finishing second to people doenst mean the situation is top notch or right there?

I’ve been told Floridas nil is more than just ok…

Think if we are thinking of the same player on Texas am you may have those facts wrong.

You keep mentioning finishing second? Just because you get close to getting someone doesn’t mean your situation is way up there. You can finish second to someone and be outbid by significant money. or when those elite schools really want a player they can dig into a deeper pocket.

you have to keep in mind currently there are about 10-12 schools on the hunt for the big fish in each portal. Seems like we are steadily getting out bid by someone. Which again means our situation might be better than a lot of schools but it’s still not at that elite level. Which is what I’ve been told be the case

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I can tell yall with confidence that we may not have one of the biggest NIL pots for baseball but we aren’t getting beat by NIL and it has nothing to do with any of the disaster happening so let’s move on from that. This is an Occams Razor situation. Our coach has failed in every aspect of his job except T Shirt Distribution.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Don't you mean bought not recruited?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Finishing second to people doenst mean the situation is top notch or right there?

I’ve been told Floridas nil is more than just ok…

Think if we are thinking of the same player on Texas am you may have those facts wrong.

You keep mentioning finishing second? Just because you get close to getting someone doesn’t mean your situation is way up there. You can finish second to someone and be outbid by significant money. or when those elite schools really want a player they can dig into a deeper pocket.

you have to keep in mind currently there are about 10-12 schools on the hunt for the big fish in each portal. Seems like we are steadily getting out bid by someone. Which again means our situation might be better than a lot of schools but it’s still not at that elite level. Which is what I’ve been told be the case
While I have sources, I am not trying to get all up in ya'll arguments about who knows the most. But I think it's logical that LSU, Texas, MSU, Ole Miss and Arkansas probably have some pretty good NIL amounts, as compared to others. The fans care. It probably closely aligns with attendance numbers. Of course, perhaps an Auburn, Tennessee or Florida has a few boosters that like baseball and make up the difference, but I don't think NIL hurts us nearly as much in baseball as it does football. And in basketball, we are one of those programs that has a few boosters make up the slack. So there's a lot of calculus in there.

Plus - the common baseball fans are much more likely to give to NIL in baseball in my opinion, because baseball players have been getting screwed over for decades.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He won a natty. Stop.

He can coach, can’t recruit. Case closed. The evidence is abundantly clear. We don’t have good talent on this team.
I think its pretty dishonest to say our players are worse than those at Air Force and Austin Peay. Not saying recruiting has been outstanding or what it should be, but there’s clearly something else missing right now. The talent of guys like Bednar, Yeager, Dakota Jordan, Hunter Hines, Amani Larry, Bradley Loftin, etc. is unquestioned. All Lemonis recruits. There is certainly some talent on the roster.

I too think Lemonis was a good coach at one time. But it doesn’t seem that he is anymore. The ultimate question is why.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Chizik won a NC in his 2nd season...Lemonis won a NC in his 2nd season(can't count 2020).

Chizik had 1 losing seasons out of 4...Lemonis looks to be headed towards his 3rd losing season out of 5.
What? Why can’t you count 2020? Lemonis and everyone else just hopped in a time machine straight from 2019 to 2021? There was no recruiting, developing, or roster management happening during that time? We didn’t lose three 17ing 1st round talents between 2020 and 2021?

It’s a nonsense comparison, and always has been. Before being hired, Lemonis went to 3 regionals in 4 years at IU. Chizik was 5-19 at Iowa State. Lemonis season 1 at MSU was a Top 5 team. Chizik season 1 at Auburn was a barely bowl eligible team. Lemonis season that he won the title had no Cam Newton equivalent as a player or Gus Malzahn equivalent as an assistant. There’s literally no commonality at all besides the fact that neither could stand prosperity.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think its pretty dishonest to say our players are worse than those at Air Force and Austin Peay. Not saying recruiting has been outstanding or what it should be, but there’s clearly something else missing right now. The talent of guys like Bednar, Yeager, Dakota Jordan, Hunter Hines, Amani Larry, Bradley Loftin, etc. is unquestioned. All Lemonis recruits. There is certainly some talent on the roster.

I too think Lemonis was a good coach at one time. But it doesn’t seem that he is anymore. The ultimate question is why.
Recruiting. That is the answer to your question.

My opinion is that he recruits showcase talent. I'm not talking about travel ballers, because they all have to play travel ball these days. But you have to go out and find the athletic guys who project. College baseball coaches do very little development anyway. It's an individual sport, and most of the development happens in summer ball when they are getting reps.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Recruiting. That is the answer to your question.

My opinion is that he recruits showcase talent. I'm not talking about travel ballers, because they all have to play travel ball these days. But you have to go out and find the athletic guys who project. College baseball coaches do very little development anyway. It's an individual sport, and most of the development happens in summer ball when they are getting reps.
There’s simply no way our recruiting has been worse than AF and APU. I named 5-6 players we have that every SEC school wanted or would have taken. 4 of them are on our current roster, and there are many others that fit the same profile.

Neither of the schools we’ve played thus far has a single player of the caliber of Jordan / Hines / Loftin / Dohm / Stephen, et al. Yet we lost 3 of 5 to them, and in one of those 3 we had 14 free passes and still lost. There is something else in play. Nobody on the roster outside of about half the pitchers (Thanks Coach Parker) are performing up to their potential. That’s coaching.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
It is baseball. The royals beat the yankees from time to time. Bad teams beat good teams.

I certainly dont think we are recruiting at a level of AF or APU.. we arent tearing it up either. I've been ridiculed on this board numerous times for saying that we lack talent. Hines and Jordan are good, the rest of the line up is very very average. And hines and jordan arent as good as some think. They are actually middle of the pack in terms of 1-2 punches in the SEC.

AF was terrible. I wasnt able to watch the APU games so I cant compare. However i'll say that none of the hitters i watched during the AF series minus jordan and hines look like anything more than 7-9 hitters on good SEC teams....

and if we had a lineup full of good hitters, we wouldnt need jordan and hines to hit every game, and then we could beat teams like APU easier. If we had a stable full of good quality arms.. then we would beat teams like APU easier. Example: Jurrangelo should be a midweek starter. Working to get better, while hoping to earn some weekend time next season. The middle to bottom half of our roster is below standards, and that effects things when we have injuries or get into the mid week.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It is baseball. The royals beat the yankees from time to time. Bad teams beat good teams.

Like this past weekend when State took two out of three from AF? Our team has been getting beat pretty regular over the previous two seasons and it doesn't look to improve this season in fact it is looking like it could be worse.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Didn't we go through this exercise last year "name the new coach". Y'all might be disappointed again, but then State fans generally are disappointed away.