Topic stolen from Reddit: Who is our best and most-hated former player?

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Who was good at State but we all can't stand him?

Tommy Kelly was the first one to come to mind for me, though I don't know how "best" he was.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Tommy Kelly was the first one to come to mind for me, though I don't know how "best" he was.
Tommy Kelly is a strong candidate.

It's hard to bypass Dontae for me. I think I can find grace for what's gone through and hopefully he has rehabilitated himself. But the disdain so many of us had for that guy for the wasted talent, the wasted effort, and the general not-give-a-**** he displayed is tough to forget.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Breck Tyler?

Personally like the guy. Hated that he flopped over to those piece of $hi+ b@stards.

Reactions: Bulldogbilly

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Butt we all can't stand him? I don't know if I can speak for everyone, but mine was Korey Banks, a DB in the late Sherrill era. Just way too much chest pounding and ripping him helmet off for the "look at me" moments. I'm sure he's doing just fine without me though. In fact, I hope he is.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Tommy Kelly is a strong candidate.

It's hard to bypass Dontae for me. I think I can find grace for what's gone through and hopefully he has rehabilitated himself. But the disdain so many of us had for that guy for the wasted talent, the wasted effort, and the general not-give-a-**** he displayed is tough to forget.

Freakin Dante. That dude had 1st rounder talent. Part of his problem was he was there during Jackie's final seasons when Jackie had 0 discipline on the team because he was too busy with the NCAA.

Not to excuse his behavior because he was an entitled jackass but under a focused, disciplinarian coach he could have been phenomenal.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Breck Tyler?

Personally like the guy. Hated that he flopped over to those piece of $hi+ b@stards.
Dontae was my first thought for general population, although I've talked to him in the last year or two and he seems good now. Working and fishing and generally has a good attitude about life. Seems like he's learned some things along the way.

Anyhoo, I think Shmuley's on the right track - and I would add the punk *** wide receiver/head kicker who left us and went to the dark side if I could remember his name.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
If it’s an all sport question then it’s Renardo Sidney hands down.

Just football: Kelly isn’t a bad answer. Dontae Walker his first two years was very good and very fun to watch. It went downhill pretty quickly from there.

Don’t know that I’d call Kylin Hill “hated” per se, but he wasn’t exactly super popular by the end.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

Dontae was to JWS what Sydney was to Stansbury. Both elite talents that also destroyed their programs for years.

It’s pathetic we’ve had 2 players that have done that in our history. Much less, so damn close together.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
If it’s basketball it’s a player that was a prick in college in person. Whether he was good is up for debate but whether he was a piece of schit in college is not. I won’t say his name and I hope from what I see he has become a more humble individual, but he was absolutely the worst athlete I ever knew when I was at State and I got to know a lot of them being on the Tommy Boy plan.

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
I’m terrible with names of former players. Who was the running back (bowling ball) that ended up parked his car on a field and working out? Josh something?

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Don’t know that I’d call Kylin Hill “hated” per se, but he wasn’t exactly super popular by the end.
Broke a QBs jaw (supposedly), quit on the team, yeah there was lots of hate.

he's definitely on the list.

Update: Willie Gay punched the QB but Kylin remains in the list. I still rooted for him at GB.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If it’s basketball it’s a player that was a prick in college in person. Whether he was good is up for debate but whether he was a piece of schit in college is not. I won’t say his name and I hope from what I see he has become a more humble individual, but he was absolutely the worst athlete I ever knew when I was at State and I got to know a lot of them being on the Tommy Boy plan.
Sounds like you're talking about Kodi Augustus.

Reactions: josebrown

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Broke a QBs jaw (supposedly), quit on the team, yeah there was lots of hate.

he's definitely on the list.

Willie Gay was the one that broke Shrader’s jaw.

Kylin was a great talent but a drama queen. I was concerned when he got all the attention for his state flag “protest”, not because I had an issue with it but because I didn’t know if his personality could handle all that attention very well.

He played three games for Leach, Game 1 he looks like Alvin Kamara catching passes out of the backfield and we beat LSU, Game 2 he takes a knock to the head early and throws a fit because we wouldn’t put him back in due to concussion protocol, Game 3 he got into it with coaches after the game and allegedly said some pretty terrible things. We mutually parted ways with him at that point.

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008

For me it’s got to be Dak and Marcus Bullard. Dak is everywhere, we loved him here, and he’s QB of Americas team!!
Bullard, we loved him till he threw the Final Four game!!!!! Maybe, maybe not, but he sure went to **** against Syracuse….missing shots, turnovers….anything he did was different from every other game he played!!

Tommy Kelly, mr. take 2 out of 3 plays completely off is strong candidate. By completely off I mean completely off, a Dlineman that what just sit down as the play began…But my vote goes to Marcus, sorry bud I loved you til that last game!!!

Keifer is and always will be beloved!!!!

That wide receiver that did nothing right, but had all the talent, and one game did push ups on the field, as he had to do in practice, after missing a good pass. Antonio Hargave maybe?? Was with Mr Phone Booth wideout that we loved. I forget his name. I think they were both from south MS, but polar opposites.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Probably nowhere near Renardo or Dontae, but I have an irrational dislike of Ravern Johnson. Such a sweet shot and never appeared to do anything to get better on defense or improve himself physically. We played better against UK when he had to sit (I can't remember why he had to sit). We would have been much better off catering to Romero Osby instead of him. He may have been fine in actuality though but I hated watching him play defense. Or not play defense.

But we had a lot of players that were easy to dislike under Stansbury towards the end.

For football, Korey Banks was a good choice for being unlikeable even if he wasn't particularly good. I know DBs have to have a short memory and be overconfident, but it got tiresome watching him preen while he got picked on by the opposing team.

Tommy Kelly was a good one as far as being good; I don't really remember disliking him. I do remember an announcer saying something along the lines of Tommy Kelly being the best player on the field on the plays he tried but that MSU needed him to try more than one out of every four plays. That's probably nowhere near the quote but that was the sentiment.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Butt we all can't stand him? I don't know if I can speak for everyone, but mine was Korey Banks, a DB in the late Sherrill era. Just way too much chest pounding and ripping him helmet off for the "look at me" moments. I'm sure he's doing just fine without me though. In fact, I hope he is.
He also wasn’t very good either right? For all the “smack” he talked.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Freakin Dante. That dude had 1st rounder talent. Part of his problem was he was there during Jackie's final seasons when Jackie had 0 discipline on the team because he was too busy with the NCAA.

Not to excuse his behavior because he was an entitled jackass but under a focused, disciplinarian coach he could have been phenomenal.
Dante’s problems were all on Dante. He looked like a damn offensive lineman going into his junior or senior year.

Reactions: Doghaus

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Our most controversial is probably Paplebon right?

He was much talked about as a pro but his college career was very unremarkable. Only thing I really remember about him at MSU was him blowing a save against North Carolina that got us eliminated in a home Regional when we were in line to host the Super too if we advanced.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Dante’s problems were all on Dante. He looked like a damn offensive lineman going into his junior or senior year.

there was absolutely zero accountability or supervision on the teams the last few years of Jackie's tenure. I had a relative on those teams. It was the true definition of the inmates running the asylum.

Given some structure and discipline, he might not have turned into a lineman by his jr year.

Again I'm not excusing Donte but it could have been different.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005

It’s Breck Tyler and there is no competition. The passes he caught for the **** birds in the egg bowl were infuriating. With the jury out on he who must not be named.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
there was absolutely zero accountability or supervision on the teams the last few years of Jackie's tenure. I had a relative on those teams. It was the true definition of the inmates running the asylum.

Given some structure and discipline, he might not have turned into a lineman by his jr year.

Again I'm not excusing Donte but it could have been different.
Jackie lost it. No argument here.

But if you grew up dirt poor and no “privilege” and are an nfl first rounder after 2 years in the sec and you gain 70 plus lbs?

That’s on you partner.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

I was on a recruiting trip (for my employer) in 2001. Had to have been the spring semester, because it was after football season, and before the disastrous upcoming season.

We were stopped at Malfunction Junction when Dontae and the Thompson twins (not the band) pulled up beside us in what had to have been Smoot’s old candy gold Impala. They were all stuffing their incredibly fat faces with McDonalds fries and looked like complete garbage. Had to have been a solid 800-900 lbs between the 3 of them.

My co-worker and I looked at each other and just shook our heads. I think we both thought they’d shape up, but they never did. The rest is history.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login