Topic stolen from Reddit: Who is our best and most-hated former player?

patdog

May 28, 2007
there was absolutely zero accountability or supervision on the teams the last few years of Jackie's tenure. I had a relative on those teams. It was the true definition of the inmates running the asylum.

Given some structure and discipline, he might not have turned into a lineman by his jr year.

Again I'm not excusing Donte but it could have been different.
Had another coworker who knew one of the assistant coaches back then. Donate wouldn’t do his strength & conditioning work. The S&C coach would go to Jackie & would be told to leave Dontae alone. I didn’t believe him at first, but it became pretty clear he was telling the truth.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
I was on a recruiting trip (for my employer) in 2001. Had to have been the spring semester, because it was after football season, and before the disastrous upcoming season.

We were stopped at Malfunction Junction when Dontae and the Thompson twins (not the band) pulled up beside us in what had to have been Smoot’s old candy gold Impala. They were all stuffing their incredibly fat faces with McDonalds fries and looked like complete garbage. Had to have been a solid 800-900 lbs between the 3 of them.

My co-worker and I looked at each other and just shook our heads. I think we both thought they’d shape up, but they never did. The rest is history.

Had another coworker who knew one of the assistant coaches back then. Donate wouldn’t do his strength & conditioning work. The S&C coach would go to Jackie & would be told to leave Dontae alone. I didn’t believe him at first, but it became pretty clear he was telling the truth.

He wasn't the only one getting away with that kind of crap that year. I'm not saying we paid for a bunch of players but it sure seems like we paid for a bunch of players (or maybe paid extra) and they decided to hold that against the coaches to avoid accountability.

Reactions: patdog

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011

my relative said there were several guys who skipped S&C, were late to practice, etc. and there was zero punishment. That type of thing metastisises and there was no respect for the coaches.

patdog

May 28, 2007
He wasn't the only one getting away with that kind of crap that year. I'm not saying we paid for a bunch of players but it sure seems like we paid for a bunch of players (or maybe paid extra) and they decided to hold that against the coaches to avoid accountability.
No doubt about it. We went on probation for a reason. Another tidbit from that former coworker. We had the free hotel for Kelly & Wright covered, but we screwed up & missed one week. That was the one we got nailed on.

Simmer

Jun 21, 2013
This is easy! Tyson Lee. All he had to do is give the ball to Boobie. What the hell was all 5'9" of him thinking?!

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

PorkRoast

Sep 19, 2017
Broke a QBs jaw (supposedly), quit on the team, yeah there was lots of hate.

he's definitely on the list.

Update: Willie Gay punched the QB but Kylin remains in the list. I still rooted for him at GB.
The answer is absolutely Willie Gay from most, and it’s not really fair to him. Our fans turned on him without even learning the details

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
In football?
Best: Dak
Most hated: Maybe Kylin Hill or Malik Heath

In all sports?
Best: I feel like the line starts behind Bailey Howell and Will Clark.
Most hated: Reynardo Sidney? Though that’s maybe not entirely his fault.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
You could really go with any number of guys from Stansbury’s last few basketball teams. Renardo was far from the only locker room problem.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Tier 1: Gary Ervin, Malik Heath, RaRa Thomas, Renardo Sidney;
Tier 2: Fred McCrary, Derrick Taite, Tommy Kelly;
Tier 3: Dee Bost, Slate Alford

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Tier 1: Gary Ervin, Malik Heath, RaRa Thomas, Renardo Sidney;
Tier 2: Fred McCrary, Derrick Taite, Tommy Kelly;
Tier 3: Dee Bost, Slate Alford
Im generally in agreement with most of your posts (ducking) but this one seems out there even for you.

I think maybe you misread the assignment. For one, most of these were far from great ( or ability to be great).

Tier 1: WTF did Gary Ervin do to you to get on the same tier as Hawaii 5.0? I'll give you Reynardo (my #1)
Tier 2: What did Fred McCrary do? What did Derrick Taite do besides a Sherrill?
Tier 3: Dee Bost? Com on man, what the hell did he do? Slate Alford?, yeah ok but "great" we'll see.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Tommy Kelly. Had a couple classes with him. He did everything to make himself a doosh bag. Would walk into class with sunglasses on and would keep them on. Would walk into class talking loudly on his phone and not stop. Would leave class to go to the bathroom 2-3 times. Never seen a more “look at me” guy ever. Total *** hat.

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
If it’s an all sport question then it’s Renardo Sidney hands down.

Just football: Kelly isn’t a bad answer. Dontae Walker his first two years was very good and very fun to watch. It went downhill pretty quickly from there.

Don’t know that I’d call Kylin Hill “hated” per se, but he wasn’t exactly super popular by the end.
Kylin Hill once unfriended me on Facebook DURING a game we were losing for bad mouthing JoMo.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
If it’s basketball it’s a player that was a prick in college in person. Whether he was good is up for debate but whether he was a piece of schit in college is not. I won’t say his name and I hope from what I see he has become a more humble individual, but he was absolutely the worst athlete I ever knew when I was at State and I got to know a lot of them being on the Tommy Boy plan.
are his initials BH?

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
Who was good at State but we all can't stand him?

Tommy Kelly was the first one to come to mind for me, though I don't know how "best" he was.
Love: Dak, Keifer, Eric Moulds Hate: Kelly, 'Tae, that kicker from Tupelo that couldn't get it downfield, short hands Hargrove, and anybody from Western Arizona CC

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Tommy Kelly is a strong candidate.

It's hard to bypass Dontae for me. I think I can find grace for what's gone through and hopefully he has rehabilitated himself. But the disdain so many of us had for that guy for the wasted talent, the wasted effort, and the general not-give-a-**** he displayed is tough to forget.
I mean the dude got booed by 45,000 fans at his own Senior Day. That’s pretty wild to think about even to this day.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
In football?
Best: Dak
Most hated: Maybe Kylin Hill or Malik Heath

In all sports?
Best: I feel like the line starts behind Bailey Howell and Will Clark.
Most hated: Reynardo Sidney? Though that’s maybe not entirely his fault.
I don't believe you understood the assignment. It wasn't best, and most hated, it was best AND most hated, in the same person.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I know this is player specific but I'd love to see this debate with coaches. Lemo, Polk, Stans, Dan, etc. It just keeps going and going

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
A lot of obvious ones already named so I’ll try to go off the beaten path with mine.

Football - Michael Brown. Had potential NFL ability at OT and largely threw it all away due to being a thug and a moron. Having even a loose association with the guy who drove the Budweiser car makes him an automatic douche bag who was running in very sketchy crowds. And of course we now know that any player who wasn’t Tebow from that mid-2000’s UF culture was likely a clown and a problem child. Bonus points here for his hilarious and shameless exploitation of the “sick relative / need to be closer to home” loophole to transfer without sitting a year, when he moved exactly 37 miles closer to his hometown of College Park, GA than he was when he was in Gainesville. Even though it benefitted our team temporarily, still a bush league move in my book….we’d have eviscerated OM for doing something like that under Freeze / Orgeron. 17 that guy.

Basketball - Robert Jackson. Starter for 3 years who was beloved by fans. Got the big head and thought he was bigger than the program. Got benched for not hustling and putting in effort on defense in 2001 NIT and got into it w/Stans over it. Decides to give the bird to the entire fanbase and transfer for his senior year. Douche bag.

Baseball - Brad Corley. Known as a tremendous douche bag off the field by folks who had encounters with him. Flipped off his own fans in the LFL for saying something to him he didn’t like. Might have also had some legal issues….can’t remember. He could hit some bombs though.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Baseball - Brad Corley. Known as a tremendous douche bag off the field by folks who had encounters with him. Flipped off his own fans in the LFL for saying something to him he didn’t like. Might have also had some legal issues….can’t remember. He could hit some bombs though.
rogerdorn-roderdorn.gif

Reactions: dawgman42

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
That wide receiver that did nothing right, but had all the talent, and one game did push ups on the field, as he had to do in practice, after missing a good pass. Antonio Hargave maybe?? Was with Mr Phone Booth wideout that we loved. I forget his name. I think they were both from south MS, but polar opposites.
Hargro
Ray Ray Bivines

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
If it’s basketball it’s a player that was a prick in college in person. Whether he was good is up for debate but whether he was a piece of schit in college is not. I won’t say his name and I hope from what I see he has become a more humble individual, but he was absolutely the worst athlete I ever knew when I was at State and I got to know a lot of them being on the Tommy Boy plan.
Your clues (big feces, dumbledore feet, **** for brains) leads me to guess Marcus Campbell?

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
If we're talking talent that was wasted by association with the Budweiser car, add Anthony Johnson to the list.

Didn't he get kicked off by Croom for discharging a gun on campus?

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
A lot of obvious ones already named so I’ll try to go off the beaten path with mine.

Football - Michael Brown. Had potential NFL ability at OT and largely threw it all away due to being a thug and a moron. Having even a loose association with the guy who drove the Budweiser car makes him an automatic douche bag who was running in very sketchy crowds. And of course we now know that any player who wasn’t Tebow from that mid-2000’s UF culture was likely a clown and a problem child. Bonus points here for his hilarious and shameless exploitation of the “sick relative / need to be closer to home” loophole to transfer without sitting a year, when he moved exactly 37 miles closer to his hometown of College Park, GA than he was when he was in Gainesville. Even though it benefitted our team temporarily, still a bush league move in my book….we’d have eviscerated OM for doing something like that under Freeze / Orgeron. 17 that guy.

Basketball - Robert Jackson. Starter for 3 years who was beloved by fans. Got the big head and thought he was bigger than the program. Got benched for not hustling and putting in effort on defense in 2001 NIT and got into it w/Stans over it. Decides to give the bird to the entire fanbase and transfer for his senior year. Douche bag.

I was gonna say Brad Corley. He is in an elite douche class all by himself. That guy was a horrible person and never made anything of himself on the diamond because of his attitude.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
If we're talking talent that was wasted by association with the Budweiser car, add Anthony Johnson to the list.

Didn't he get kicked off by Croom for discharging a gun on campus?
No, that was Michael Brown.

I think Anthony Johnson either failed out of school or failed drug test. Transferred to JSU after.

Reactions: knock him out john

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
No, that was Michael Brown.

I think Anthony Johnson either failed out of school or failed drug test. Transferred to JSU after.
From a Brad Locke article in April 2008:

He was then suspended from the team and left school after his involvement in a shooting incident in March of 2008. He later re-enrolled but was ineligible for play because of his withdrawal.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
From a Brad Locke article in April 2008:

He was then suspended from the team and left school after his involvement in a shooting incident in March of 2008. He later re-enrolled but was ineligible for play because of his withdrawal.
It may have been a separate incident, or maybe it was his gun that Brown used. But Brown 100% had the gun and fired the gun on campus.

ETA: See link below. Quinton Wesley was the other player with Brown who also got kicked out of school, and he also had a prior assault conviction. Combine all that with the Jessie Bowman signing with MSU from behind bars, and it just goes to show that Croom didn’t really “clean up the program” nearly the way people thought he did. Biggest scam ever put over on our fanbase.

Last edited:

kired

Aug 22, 2008

Brown actually did us a favor. If those guys weren’t kicked off the team, we probably win two more games and Croom doesn’t get fired. Brown was a legit NFL tackle, Johnson was solid at CB, Hughes was a good LB. Imagine having those guys, and of course things play out differently and Jamar Chaney doesn’t break his ankle at latech. That’s a completely different team.

Brown literally had the biggest impact on MSU football of any player under croom. We don’t fire croom after that season, never hire Mullen, Dak is a TE at LSU

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Brown actually did us a favor. If those guys weren’t kicked off the team, we probably win two more games and Croom doesn’t get fired. Brown was a legit NFL tackle, Johnson was solid at CB, Hughes was a good LB. Imagine having those guys, and of course things play out differently and Jamar Chaney doesn’t break his ankle at latech. That’s a completely different team.

Brown literally had the biggest impact on MSU football of any player under croom. We don’t fire croom after that season, never hire Mullen, Dak is a TE at LSU
I’m not sure what games we win with those guys. Were they collectively the secret sauce needed to get that elusive 2nd safety against Auburn? I don’t think so. Our only other close loss was at home against UK, where we had a blocked extra point that cost us the game. Even if we made the XP and won in OT or something, I don’t see that saving Croom if the Egg Bowl still went down the way that it did.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011

I don’t know about back then, but Brad is a really, really, really good due

Nov 25, 2019
Jackie lost it. No argument here.

But if you grew up dirt poor and no “privilege” and are an nfl first rounder after 2 years in the sec and you gain 70 plus lbs?

That’s on you partner.
why didn't we get him into shape? He shows up looking like a pulling guard and we can't get him into shape or did we just give up?
He gave up and walked out during a game and that's the worst.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login