Tough decision that had to be made on Sunday......

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I don't know what the move at SS Sunday means for the future but it appears the torch might have been passed and we might not see L Forsythe much more unless Mershon craps the bed. While I believe it was the right move, I do really feel for Lane as he has given us 3 seasons, was a key part of our natty and he seems to be a really good young man. I wish him all the best and hope he can still find a way to contribute to this team.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Decision should have been made a while ago.

The real questions is, why did the decision take so long. Switch hitter that seems to do everything better than Forsythe does. At the very least should have been getting platoon time in.

A few other tough decisions need to be made as well.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

The real questions is, why did the decision take so long. Switch hitter that seems to do everything better than Forsythe does. At the very least should have been getting platoon time in.

Like what? You can't pull Larry, Ledbetter or Hancock.

And we will see Forsythe again. He's not done.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

No argument here. The issue at short was unfortunately a no brainer and I think there has been a few made with pitching that is not as apparent since they don't play every day. For example, I don't think we will see Stinnett on the weekend and maybe not at all the rest of the way. The other position player change that might make sense I don't think CL will be able to bring himself to make that one.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

No, we might see Lane some in midweek but the problem is right now he has been a liability with both bat and glove. Perhaps with the pressure off a bit he can settle down and be able to at least get his defense straightened out.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Larry and Hancock shouldnt be written into the order with Permanent marker.

larry has been exposed, but defensively is solid and can be a quality bottom of the order guy that can create things. Hancock is what he is, which is one of the worst SEC 1b in the league. He actually may be the worst. Wonder if a guy like Mershon is sitting over there waiting his turn because we continue to play him

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
For the record just glancing at the 1b across the leagues numbers:

UGA- Condon
Florida-heyman
Casas- South Carolina
Burke- Tenneseee
Williamson- UA
Moss- Texas AM
Gilliams- Kentucky
Morgan- LSU
Zeisler- Mizzou

All clearly better than our guy at 1b.

He's probably in the same boat with these
Calarco- Ole Miss (very similar)
Slavens- Arkansas (very similar)
McMurray- Auburn (vastly better numbers in limited time, dont know if hes been hurt)

and clearly better than: Noland at Vandy.

To me: If you have someone that is in the bottom half of the SEC, and having a below average season offensively, doing worse in conference play.... What harm does it do to see what else we have? Can only make us better. Giving Hines a few reps at first cant be the worst thing in the world and it opens the DH spot.

Again he was brought here as a CATCHER. a spot where you dont mind sacrificing some offense. First base isnt that case. We need another bat.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
No, we might see Lane some in midweek but the problem is right now he has been a liability with both bat and glove. Perhaps with the pressure off a bit he can settle down and be able to at least get his defense straightened out.
Or.....maybe he's the 2B-man next year? Who knows, he's not getting drafted, so he'll either be back or transfer.

Or maybe Mershon is the 2B-man. There are various solutions for different teams.

I do agree that this move had to be made, at this point in the season, for THIS season.

Reactions: HuntDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
agree forsythe isnt done. Hes got a role. Just doesnt need to be an everyday guy. His play hasnt earned that.

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
I don't know what the move at SS Sunday means for the future but it appears the torch might have been passed and we might not see L Forsythe much more unless Mershon craps the bed. While I believe it was the right move, I do really feel for Lane as he has given us 3 seasons, was a key part of our natty and he seems to be a really good young man. I wish him all the best and hope he can still find a way to contribute to this team.
His grandparents sat by me year before last, great people. Lane is from great people and has taken much, in mho, criticism and hasn’t let it divert him, he just keeps on grindin’! His bat is much improved this season and when he signed his grandfather told me they knew he was a little small. State has bulked him up over his years here and sometimes just makes you wonder if maybe a young man should just stay his natural size. Bulking him up seems to have effected his play this season and in the case of his bat being better, I guess it helped but it does seem to have effected his glove somewhat. 4 errors all season vs what? 14 this season. His weight is the only thing that has changed but it does seemed to have improved his bat. Keep diggin’ & grindin’ Lane. We still pullin’ for you and proud you are ALL DAWG!

GTDawg

Sep 8, 2021
Might be that Hancock needs to be dropped down in the order to see if that helps get him going. Hard to have your 5-hole hitting .227 in conference games.

Reactions: HuntDawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Oh I don’t think we are done seeing Forsythe at short. I just think it’s a platoon thing now. Ride the hot hand, right now it’s Mershon, but he could cool off and we go back to Forsythe in a week or two.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Well the first time we tried to get Mershon out there he was also booting balls and not hitting at 3B. Not like we’ve just had an All-Star waiting in the wings the whole time. So that’s why the decision wasn’t made sooner.

Forsythe is in his own head right now and needs to sit for a bit. He forced the coaches’ hand. Mershon may take his spot, may not. We’ll see. Hopefully the competition helps them both.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We've only got 3 more midweeks

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
If CL is set on playing Hancock then he needs to be dropped in the order and just DH or catch a mid week game to give Highfell a break. Hines needs to be at first full time.

Reactions: bully12

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
If CL is set on playing Hancock then he needs to be dropped in the order and just DH or catch a mid week game to give Highfell a break. Hines needs to be at first full time.

Hancock as our primary catcher and Hines as our primary first baseman went really poorly early in the season.

Reactions: Old Fart Dawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Wonder how much better Hines would be now if he had 40 games under his belt?

there really is zero reason why Hines isn’t the starting 1b. I mean if Hancock was a great hitter and that much better defensively then ok.

no way Hancock should be our every day guy, at the very least should be some type of platoon situation.

Reactions: bully12

patdog

May 28, 2007
We've only got 3 more midweeks
One of those is Mississippi in Pearl, so you know we're playing to win that one. Another is a Memphis team that at least has a pulse. Where we are now, we need all the wins we can get. If you think Mershon is your best SS, he's got to play those 2 games. If you don't, then Foscue starts the SEC games too.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

I would put Larry in at SS and put Marshawn in at 2b. But what do I know. Larry seems to make every play at 2nd.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login