Travel: The most expensive airline is about to charge even more..

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Aknowledging their "$59 flights" are bullshitt, why are they the most expensive airline?

I do generally like that SW doesn't try to upsell me at every turn, but I do greatly despise open seating on an airplane. Or anywhere, really.
I travel just about every week for work and I can tell you that AA flights are typically 100-150 bucks cheaper than SWA flights for my travel.

Reactions: dorndawg and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Speaking of which, last rental car experience, had a full size car "reserved". I arrive after many delays:

Alamo: "Would you like to upgrade to an SUV?"
Me: "No."
Alamo: "Are you willing to drive an SUV?"
Me: "I prefer the full sized car."
Alamo: "Can we upgrade you to the SUV and provide gas credit to offest the mileage difference because we don't have any full sized cars."
Me: "Sure"
Alamo: "We are discounting you X amount and don't bother filling up before you return it."

They 100% wanted me to agree to an "upgrade", and pay more, because they didn't honor my original reservation.
Surprisingly, my most recent rental with Enterprise in Detroit was easy peasy. They had several models in the class I reserved, and were very helpful. Wound up renting a Mazda CX-5, which is basically an SUV version of my Mazda 6, so no learning curve for the infotainment and Apple Maps interface.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Never understood that. I want to be last on the plane. Of course, I'm either checking my bags when I get to the airport or at the gate. Why would I want to lug that thing onto a crowded airplane and cram it into an overhead bin?
I want my bag with me to eliminate the risk of it getting lost and not having to go to baggage claim. I guess if you gate check it, the odds of it being lost are really small.

My wife used to have the same philosophy about not wanting to take the bag through security. A couple years ago about as soon as we made it through security, our flight got cancelled. We ended up having to drive where we were going. Her luggage made it to the airport. Then I guess the airline thought that since we didn’t actually fly to the airport they’d send her luggage back to the original airport. Took several days for her to get the luggage back. I’ve always been a carry on person, mainly cause I’m cheap but also because I never wanted my luggage lost. That situation solidified my whole family as carry on travelers.

Dog88

Oct 8, 2023
If you book southwest as soon as the flight opens for booking, they are usually the cheapest. A month out, not gonna get the cheap fairs.

Agree. Southwest is my airline of choice. My family and I always fly for free on Southwest and the companion pass is a game changer. Also a big fan of the no baggage fees and the ease of changing a flight. I just wish there were more destinations and they flew internationally.

If anyone is looking for a credit card referral to earn miles for free flights with Southwest, send me a message.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mjoelner

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I fly out Nashville quite a bit and SWA is usually pretty cheap. But I value direct flights way more than the cost. SWA has a mini hub at BNA now. So, they’re flying all over place.

Not a fan of the assigned seating change.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I fly out Nashville quite a bit and SWA is usually pretty cheap. But I value direct flights way more than the cost. SWA has a mini hub at BNA now. So, they’re flying all over place.

Not a fan of the assigned seating change.
I'm jealous of the Nashville airport. Several times I've used the Contour flight out of Tupelo just to get to BNA. But the little stand off concourse you fly into makes you have to ride the shuttle bus over for the big boy flight... so you can't cut the times too close.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Agree. Southwest is my airline of choice. My family and I always fly for free on Southwest and the companion pass is a game changer. Also a big fan of the no baggage fees and the ease of changing a flight. I just wish there were more destinations and they flew internationally.

If anyone is looking for a credit card referral to earn miles for free flights with Southwest, send me a message.
As I mentioned in another thread, my GF and I fly Southwest on vacations. I have a Southwest Visa and that's all I use it for. Back during covid we were going to Hawaii and she had gotten a Southwest Visa because she got 30,000 miles along with a 1 year companion pass for signing up. She threw the miles on her tickets and the companion pass on me. I ended up paying something like $5.40 for each leg of the flight. When we got back, she cut her card up and we're back on mine.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Aknowledging their "$59 flights" are bullshitt, why are they the most expensive airline?

I do generally like that SW doesn't try to upsell me at every turn, but I do greatly despise open seating on an airplane. Or anywhere, really.
...30 years ago when I was a road warrior, I loved SW expressly for open seating. Friday afternoon flight and I would be coming directly from a plant, I could check in, get in boarding group a, and go sit on the floor in the cattle chute. I called it "causing the stampede", people would then worry they wouldn't be able to get their preferred spot. I sat in the front and could be off the plane and up the jet way before the ridiculous folks that insist on taking their sweet time could even exit the plane.

Dog88

Oct 8, 2023
If my family and I flew for free on Southwest, I'd be their most loyal customer.
It’s pretty easy to do. Took a group of 7 to Steamboat Springs for a ski trip last December. We all flew round trip for free, saved about $3000.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
It’s pretty easy to do. Took a group of 7 to Steamboat Springs for a ski trip last December. We all flew round trip for free, saved about $3000.
By free, y’all mean reward miles? Basically 1-2% of what you spend on your credit converted to credit on southwest?

Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
By free, y’all mean reward miles? Basically 1-2% of what you spend on your credit converted to credit on southwest?
I'm forever hearing folks saying "oooo yeah we flew free, we have a southwest credit card". With Southwest's credit card's top rewards being 3 miles per dollar spent, you'd have to spend 100k to get that 3k in free flights.

What I'm basically saying is I suspect most (not all) folks are full of shitt and sure, they probably had a few miles, but likely the balance of that $3000 went on the card.

Reactions: patdog

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I'm forever hearing folks saying "oooo yeah we flew free, we have a southwest credit card". With Southwest's credit card's top rewards being 3 miles per dollar spent, you'd have to spend 100k to get that 3k in free flights.

What I'm basically saying is I suspect most (not all) folks are full of shitt and sure, they probably had a few miles, but likely the balance of that $3000 went on the card.
But they got 3% back on the $3000. Perpetual motion earning

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
But they got 3% back on the $3000. Perpetual motion earning
GIF by South Park

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Unethical Life Pro-Tip: Within reason, the gate attendants don't give a solitary shitt what group/boarding zone you're in. One does run the risk of incurring the wrath of fellow-travelers, but if you've got a 35 minute layover at DFW and have to switch Terminals, sometimes you do what you've gotta do.

Situations like this is where dressing decently, moving confidently, and being polite can take you places.
Of course, your Pro-Tip is not applicable to Southwest since they don't fly out of DFW.........SPS the helpful board.

Dog88

Oct 8, 2023

Nope, what I said is true, we got $3000 worth of flights for free. Earning the bonus miles from the initial signup is the key…. And you can do this every 24 months. My wife and I both take advantage of the offers so we always have points to fly on. We currently have more than 100,000 points in each of our accounts and are set for the foreseeable future.

Dog88

Oct 8, 2023

Yes, by purchasing flights using Southwest points instead of cash. I earn very little from spending on the credit card, the majority comes from the crazy signup bonuses they offer.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
This is what i've always wondered. Who wants to hurry to sit on a warm cat scan?
I could understand when there is no assigned seats.
It ain’t about how quick you can get on. It’s about how quick you can get off.

And on that score I want to be like a 12 year old watching Skinemax.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
My experience with Southwest is that their fares to high demand destinations can be sneaky expensive, but they seem to be much better than competitors for use of award miles. I booked an award flight out west a few months back for around 30,000 miles, when the same flight would have been 70,000-90,000 miles on Delta or American.

Also, the pod grouping system for boarding isn’t for everyone. But they also have lower standard boarding times than competitors probably because they have found that method to be more efficient. There’s competitive advantage to that as it can increase their daily flights in and out of any airport and net a lot more profit. So, I understand why they do it.

All that being said, I still prefer Delta.

Dog88

Oct 8, 2023
My experience with Southwest is that their fares to high demand destinations can be sneaky expensive, but they seem to be much better than competitors for use of award miles. I booked am award flight out west a few months back for around 30,000 miles, when the same flight would have been 70,000-90,000 miles on Delta or American.

Also, the pod grouping system for boarding isn’t for everyone. But they also have lower standard boarding times than competitors probably because they have found that method to be more efficient. There’s competitive advantage to that as it can increase their daily flights in and out of any airport and net a lot more profit. So, I understand why they do it.

All that being said, I still prefer Delta.

Agree that Southwest has the best award points program. I’ve tried Delta but never could seem to find a flight to use my points for and ended up losing them. If Southwest has available seats on any flight, you can use your points to book a ticket.

They currently have 5 credit card offers (personal or business) offering anywhere from 50,000 to 120,000 bonus points. The highest bonus point offer could score you up to 5 or 6 free round trip tickets depending on the flight you choose and how early you book. If interested, use the link below to go to the current offers:

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I'd rather drive. I literally don't care if Honolulu is the destination.
Only time in my life I flew Frontier, they cancelled my return flight from Denver due to snow. That was Thursday morning. Next flight they could get me on was the following TUESDAY

• Angry

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007

I used the SW card for a few years and it was a solid deal. I run every cent possible through our cards and pay it off at least every month. It was enough to get an arse load of points but the money maker was the companion pass. Any time I bought a ticket with dollars or points I got a free ticket to go along with it.

However, SW pissed me off in December 22 when they ruined a family Christmas trip and I got burned on some sunk costs due to their system fail. So I bailed on the SW card and now use the Chase Sapphire card. Pretty pleased with it so far. More flexible than being captive to SW as I can use the pts on multiple hotels and airlines. Fees are pretty steep but it pays for itself pretty quickly with our spending habits.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
So let me make sure I follow. So you find a good offer for the SW card, take it. Cancel said card 24 month later and then turn around and sign up again a few months later to stockpile points?

what’s a typical reward round trip flight cost in points on SW these days?

eta - found this. Looks like business cards are the way to go and if you can make it so you and the wife both get cards you can pretty easily have two companion tickets so you’d only pay two tickets for a family of 4 pretty consistently.

if you could find a way to get a good deal on a hotel card as well then you could really save on vacations

Last edited:
Reactions: Mjoelner and Dog88

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
wish the big 3 airlines would raise prices by 30% and force economy passengers to economy airlines

Dog88

Oct 8, 2023
So let me make sure I follow. So you find a good offer for the SW card, take it. Cancel said card 24 month later and then turn around and sign up again a few months later to stockpile points?

what’s a typical reward round trip flight cost in points on SW these days?

eta - found this. Looks like business cards are the way to go and if you can make it so you and the wife both get cards you can pretty easily have two companion tickets so you’d only pay two tickets for a family of 4 pretty consistently.

if you could find a way to get a good deal on a hotel card as well then you could really save on vacations

I usually cancel the card a month or so after I get the bonus points. Then reapply at least 24 months later. The cost in points depends on the route. Typically the longer the route the more points required.

The Southwest companion pass is a huge deal. Earn it and you can use points for one ticket and get the second ticket with no additional points required.

I also use hotel cards (mainly Marriott, IHG and Hyatt) and do the same thing with them. Never pay for hotel rooms either.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Wish GTR could connect with other close regional hubs like Memphis. Birmingham, and maybe New Orleans. Years ago there used to be several puddle hopper flights per day between GTR & MEM. Heck, I flew on one Northwest flight from MEM that stopped in Tupelo and let a few people off, then went on to GTR to end the night. On that flight, a couple of our football coaches sat across from me.....they were coming back from a recruiting trip.

Last edited:

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
I usually cancel the card a month or so after I get the bonus points. Then reapply at least 24 months later. The cost in points depends on the route. Typically the longer the route the more points required.

The Southwest companion pass is a huge deal. Earn it and you can use points for one ticket and get the second ticket with no additional points required.

I also use hotel cards (mainly Marriott, IHG and Hyatt) and do the same thing with them. Never pay for hotel rooms either.
Do you get separate cards for you and the spouse? So that you have two companion passes for the rest of the family? Thinking hard about doing this in Oct/Nov of this year so I can hit the companion pass 1Q 2024 and have it for almost two years. Too good to pass up.

Reactions: Dog88

Dog88

Oct 8, 2023
Do you get separate cards for you and the spouse? So that you have two companion passes for the rest of the family? Thinking hard about doing this in Oct/Nov of this year so I can hit the companion pass 1Q 2024 and have it for almost two years. Too good to pass up.

My wife and I get separate accounts (for the bonuses) for all of our reward programs… Southwest, Marriott, IHG, etc. I don’t think we’ve ever earned 2 companion passes at the same time though. But with all the bonus points, we have always been able to get all of the airline tickets our family has needed for free.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irondawg

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011

They're not. Especially if you choose their "wanna get away" option. Even more so when you consider they don't have bag fees. You want to upgrade to their higher tiers? Or avoid their hub airports? They can get expensive. 9 times out of 10, Spirit and Frontier will beat them on price, but they will be much cheaper than Delta, United, or American. Not sure where that "most expensive" BS came from. Go to Google flights and use any two major airports in the US that SW goes to, and you'll see what I'm saying.

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
That's interesting. In my experience, I'd say they're the less expensive option 75% of the time versus American/United/Delta
He's flying out of Memphis. That's why. If you are tied to those smaller airports, SW typically doesn't have great rates.

Reactions: patdog

Dog88

Oct 8, 2023
Jackson is our “home” airport but many times we have driven to New Orleans to catch a Southwest flight because the deals are much better.

Reactions: dawgstudent

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Jackson is our “home” airport but many times we have driven to New Orleans to catch a Southwest flight because the deals are much better.
Literally just got back from doing this. I went to Portland to visit @Oregon Tiger and I couldn't even book a flight from Jackson to Portland. I had to book 2 different flights (i.e. Jackson to Houston then book another flight of Houston to Portland). I even called southwest because it told me I was unable to get a flight for the days I was wanting and they told me the same thing.

So we flew from New Orleans to Portland. 2.5 hour drive which kind of sucked but that was my first time to fly out of New Orleans. I had $800 in vouchers I had to use within a year so that's why we chose Southwest. The drive was an inconvenience but it did save a lot of money over Delta, United or AA even without the vouchers.

Reactions: Dog88

Dog88

Oct 8, 2023
I used the SW card for a few years and it was a solid deal. I run every cent possible through our cards and pay it off at least every month. It was enough to get an arse load of points but the money maker was the companion pass. Any time I bought a ticket with dollars or points I got a free ticket to go along with it.

However, SW pissed me off in December 22 when they ruined a family Christmas trip and I got burned on some sunk costs due to their system fail. So I bailed on the SW card and now use the Chase Sapphire card. Pretty pleased with it so far. More flexible than being captive to SW as I can use the pts on multiple hotels and airlines. Fees are pretty steep but it pays for itself pretty quickly with our spending habits.

I just signed up for the Chase Ink business preferred card with a 120,000 point bonus. That could be worth 24 free hotel nights if transferred to the Hyatt rewards program. But i still believe the Southwest card to be best for earning free flights.

Reactions: ckDOG
Jul 5, 2020

How do you get around this, from Southwest's Website-

50,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $1,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening:

The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards® Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. This does not apply to Cardmembers of the Southwest Rapid Rewards Business Card and Employee Credit Card products.

To qualify for your bonus points, you must make Purchases totaling $1,000 or more during the first 3 months from account opening. Please allow up to 8 weeks for bonus points to post to your Rapid Rewards® account. (“Purchases” do not include balance transfers, cash advances, travelers checks, foreign currency, money orders, wire transfers or similar cash-like transactions, lottery tickets, casino gaming chips, race track wagers or similar betting transactions, any checks that access your account, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, and fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable.) To be eligible for this bonus offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login