True/False: Howland at MSU is basically just Andy Kennedy at Ole Miss

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Minus the “international incident” and loss of consortium (as far as we know).

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
False— Ben Howland is a slightly more successful Bob Boyd at Mississippi State.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
At least Andy Kennedy won an SEC Tournament championship and won an NCAA Tournament game. I don’t see Howland doing either of those things.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Bob Boyd had a significantly tougher job. It was much more difficult to get postseason bids— much less really good basketball players to Starkville.

Howland’s job is, by comparison, much easier. More postseason bids and it’s easier to get very good players here.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Disclaimer:This is not a post defending Howland.

College basketball is more broken than college football. Basic motivation for these players seems to be quite a challenge for all coaches.Don’t forget that Calipari and his elites didn’t make the tourney last year.

Outside of consistent, elite level recruiting that only a few schools can attain, I’m not sure just coaching change can fix MSU basketball at this point.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I agree with you. It will be interesting to watch college sports going forward with the NIL going into place. Not only will the prima donnas get the notoriety but they will also get the money. That's a lot for 18 to 20 year olds to absorb and play a "team" sport. Of course, a lot of them were already getting paid a lot under the table but being able to openly brag about it will be interesting.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I really liked "Uncle Bob" as the buttons they gave out proclaimed him. He was very engaging on campus and in town (unlike Howland) and he won some games here though not many. He would have won even fewer here if there had been a shot clock during his tenure. His teams held the ball and held the ball and held the ball until they missed a shot or they had a turnover. They passed and dribbled, passed and dribbled, until an open shot came and took it. He beat John Wooden 2 years in a row in Pauley Pavilion in the '70s though and won 24 games twice at USC so he had some coaching skills, just no athletes here.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
The best comparison for Howland here would be John Groce at Illinois from 2012-2017. One NCAA Tournament, many years on the bubble, around .500 record in conference play many years.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login