True freshman leads USC women's basketball . . . this team is loaded again . . .

rockingamecock

Joined Aug 28, 2001
Feb 2, 2022
Joyce Edwards make her Gamecock debut, leading the way early on after posting a double-double in the first half in just 11 minutes on the court. Edwards finished with a team-high 19 points and 12 boards, while junior Chloe Kitts added her own double-double after ending the night with 15 points and grabbing a team-high 13 rebounds.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Very encouraging. I truly think Tac will have to be a meaningful presence in order for us to repeat. The presence of a competent "big" in the "5" position is a huge asset in the modern women's game. We need to get the training wheels off her as soon as possible. I'm assuming that Watkins will be coming back. What a muddled mess she's in.

Reactions: winloseortie

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Very encouraging. I truly think Tac will have to be a meaningful presence in order for us to repeat. The presence of a competent "big" in the "5" position is a huge asset in the modern women's game. We need to get the training wheels off her as soon as possible. I'm assuming that Watkins will be coming back. What a muddled mess she's in.
With exception of Betts at UCLA and Beers at Oklahoma, there are really no big centers for us to worry about in the college game this year. We actually could get away with playing Feagin and Joyce at the 5 for much of the year.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
With exception of Betts at UCLA and Beers at Oklahoma, there are really no big centers for us to worry about in the college game this year. We actually could get away with playing Feagin and Joyce at the 5 for much of the year.
Theoretically, I don't disagree. I'm looking for a slam dunk to another championship. A dominant "Big" would supply that. We don't win it last year unless Cardoso comes of age.

Reactions: LonghornsGamecocks

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
UK has 6’7” Clara Strack who played really well filling in for Kitley plus 6’7” Clara Silva the top freshman center who is from Portugal

UConn has 6’5” Jena el Alfy who was the #1fr center last season but was redshirted with an injury

NCSU has 4 players 6’5” and up

Audi Crooks at Iowa st is only 6’2” but about 265lbs and an unmovable force down low

LSU has 6’5” Jersey Wolfenbarger and 6’6” Aliyah Del Rosario

Even UF has a 6’6” Roshanna Kyle as a starting center and Shaq’s daughter who is 6’5”

Alabama even has a couple of highly regarded bigs

all of these are on the schedule

Sep 12, 2022
UK has 6’7” Clara Strack who played really well filling in for Kitley plus 6’7” Clara Silva the top freshman center who is from Portugal

UConn has 6’5” Jena el Alfy who was the #1fr center last season but was redshirted with an injury

Audi Crooks at Iowa st is only 6’2” but about 265lbs and an unmovable force down low

Even UF has a 6’6” Roshanna Kyle as a starting center and Shaq’s daughter who is 6’5”

I once heard that the toughest part about being on top, was staying on top.

Reactions: LonghornsGamecocks

Debo77

Dec 21, 2022

Texas has a girl thats 6'9....we play them twice

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023

Wasn't referring to just height. Looking more at style of play and ability. Of all those others you named, only the girl from Iowa State would be cause for real concern and she is a short big like Pili used to be with Utah.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Theoretically, I don't disagree. I'm looking for a slam dunk to another championship. A dominant "Big" would supply that. We don't win it last year unless Cardoso comes of age.
Great programs win in different ways. We will rely more on our guards for offense, but I think Joyce will just fine as an inside/outside presence and I think most just discount Feagin because she has never started. Only 6'3". However, I think her offensive are better than Boston and Cardoso's. We just haven't needed to utilize it.

Whiterockcock69

Joined Sep 12, 2010
Jan 31, 2022
After watching Tac and Joyce last night I feel confident with our bigs, regardless of who they play. I thought Tac was very impressive in her few minutes. She surprised me with her athleticism and running the floor. The blocked shot was very nice. If you didn’t see it she basically caught the shot in mid-air and brought it down. She played and looks very athletic.

Edwards is going to be a star. Change that. She’s a star already. It was very obvious. She only played 21 minutes so it’s hard to evaluate but she never looked like she was ever breathing hard. Maybe the soccer playing helped her but the girl can run and move.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login