UEFA Euro 2024 thread

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Seemed like a lot of snowflakes on both sides in the Spain/Italy match - writhing in pain after minimal contact. Although every one of them repeatedly had miraculous recoveries after appearing to be on death's door in excruciating pain.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

wow, it's extremely rare that you get kicked in the face and also receive a yellow card. I would not have given a card here, but technically, it's the correct call

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021

wow, it's extremely rare that you get kicked in the face and also receive a yellow card. I would not have given a card here, but technically, it's the correct call

By the letter of the law he could have gotten a red for being kicked in the face. Yellow was as fair as it gets.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
By the letter of the law he could have gotten a red for being kicked in the face. Yellow was as fair as it gets.

that's incorrect (being given a red card) for the play, as the rule was changed on that a few years ago. If it's DOGSO (which it was in this situation), if the challenge is a legitimate attempt to play the ball (which it was by the GK in this situation), if the ref awards a PK it's a caution, and not a send-off. Had it occurred outside the penalty area (and thus a PK could not be awarded), then it would be a red card.

The ref was in good position on the call, and VAR would have checked the call to confirm. My point about not giving the card is not technically correct. If the GK touched the ball, there would be no foul (and thus no card and no PK). In non-VAR games, which are 99.9% of the games played in the world, a lot of refs would not have been in as good as position as the ref in this game, and would have considered this a legitimate challenge, and that the players just got tangled after the challenge, so no foul, no card, and no PK. That was the my basis for saying I would not have given a card.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
that's incorrect (being given a red card) for the play, as the rule was changed on that a few years ago. If it's DOGSO (which it was in this situation), if the challenge is a legitimate attempt to play the ball (which it was by the GK in this situation), if the ref awards a PK it's a caution, and not a send-off. Had it occurred outside the penalty area (and thus a PK could not be awarded), then it would be a red card.

The ref was in good position on the call, and VAR would have checked the call to confirm. My point about not giving the card is not technically correct. If the GK touched the ball, there would be no foul (and thus no card and no PK). In non-VAR games, which are 99.9% of the games played in the world, a lot of refs would not have been in as good as position as the ref in this game, and would have considered this a legitimate challenge, and that the players just got tangled after the challenge, so no foul, no card, and no PK. That was the my basis for saying I would not have given a card.
You're right they rolled back the last man rule a few years back. That was what I was basing it off of. There was absolutely no malice and the play was made on the ball by the keeper.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Hard to believe France didn't score off of this:

definitely the correct call:

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Watching a condensed Peru vs Chile right now on TUDN. ( on my Comcast cable package ). It’s in Spanish. Never watched the channel before. It’s rather enjoyable I must say.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Watching a condensed Peru vs Chile right now on TUDN. ( on my Comcast cable package ). It’s in Spanish. Never watched the channel before. It’s rather enjoyable I must say.
That was a chippy match to say the least. The first 30 minutes was nothing but whistles.

Reactions: Tgar

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I hope y’all caught the all-time worst own-goal ever in Turkey-Portugal.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

these are really tough on an official. The player has the right to play the ball. The defender has a right to have their head where it is.